Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer. May 5, 2017, 00:14 Kxmode

SlimRam wrote on May 4, 2017, 01:54:
Normally I don't care what race plays what part in movies/tv and Idris is a GREAT actor but he's black. Roland isn't and the tension between him and Detta Walker (in 'The Drawing of the Three') is BECAUSE he's a "white muthafucka". Hell, Detta wants to kill him through most that book and HAAAAAAAATES white people... like ALOT. It's a big part of her persona and story.

I have no doubt that Idris will play Roland well, I just wonder about the reason for picking him?

Either way, looking forward to this very much!

"To me, the color of the gunslinger doesn't matter. What I care about is how fast he can draw...and that he takes care of the ka-tet." - Stephen King

Pretty sure the only color King cares about is green.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer. May 4, 2017, 15:37 SlimRam

Beamer wrote on May 4, 2017, 10:06:
Normally I don't care what race plays what part in movies/tv and Idris is a GREAT actor but he's black. Roland isn't and the tension between him and Detta Walker (in 'The Drawing of the Three') is BECAUSE he's a "white muthafucka". Hell, Detta wants to kill him through most that book and HAAAAAAAATES white people... like ALOT. It's a big part of her persona and story.

I have no doubt that Idris will play Roland well, I just wonder about the reason for picking him?

Unless they're not even going with Detta, because this is a sequel to the books, not a direct adaptation.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a sequel. Also, reading comments on another site about the movie, a person said that it might be that they also just change the race of Odetta/Detta to white and make her hate black folks in the movie? It would make sense... kinda except for the fact that she was a sort of civil rights activist... I dunno, should be interesting.

19. Re: THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer. May 4, 2017, 10:06 Beamer

Unless they're not even going with Detta, because this is a sequel to the books, not a direct adaptation.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2017, 06:54 shiho

The irony of that Oatmeal cartoon is that the author's own core belief is boldly and prominently featured, and if this self-aggrandizing fantasy of enlightement and transcendence is challenged, he's going to screech just like the "7.5 billion" of humans who have supposedly failed to reach his evolutional apex.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2017, 03:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

1badmf wrote on May 3, 2017, 17:15:
is there some magic quality to his guns? or do they not have anything better than revolvers? cuz if not, he's gonna looooove earth guns XD

I'd say read the books, but the series starts out great and meanders off into mediocre. The guns aren't overly magical, let's say, just extremely well made and accurate. I want to say his default ammo is pretty powerful also, comparable to 'normal' earth handgun rounds. It's been like 10+ years at least since I read the series.

Roland would still be a beast of a shooter with mundane Earth guns, but he would be insulted to use lesser weapons.

Also, Detta Walker will probably curse him out royally regardless of Roland's race, and there are plenty of racial slurs she could still toss out because this version of Roland is black. I think that aspect of the casting is not going to be an issue. A more pressing issue to me would be that, at least from the trailer, Roland gets a lot of slow-mo loads(that do look cool) but I always got the impression from the text that he was just ridiculously FAST, smooth, calm, and accurrate while shooting. Not that everything was a trick load every time.

*EDIT* Also, good luck getting Oy (the pet monster/dog replacement) to not look too distractingly weird/ridiculous/cgi-ish.

tl/dr I will still see the movie, a lot of Stephen King's work is better as a film, simply because they end up cutting down on his text meandering around, and get to a tighter version of the story. Usually.

16. THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer. May 4, 2017, 01:54 SlimRam

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 23:03 Creston

PRESS THINKS THEY NEED MORE FREEDOM TO POST FAKE NEWS! SAD!

- predicted TrumpTwittle.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 17:15 1badmf

is there some magic quality to his guns? or do they not have anything better than revolvers? cuz if not, he's gonna looooove earth guns XD  

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 17:04 Simon Says

That Oatmeal, priceless and its something I've been more or less already doing for more than a decade ( the tip at the end ).  

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:58 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2017, 12:26:
Steelcamp wrote on May 3, 2017, 09:57:
THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer.
w00+!!!!
Idris Elba is great.

Definitely! Thought he did a fantastic job in Star Trek Beyond. Having him be the hero and McConaughey be the villain is a genius move. Both are great actors.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:56 Dacote

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2017, 16:26:
So Cutter, I should be allowed to say whatever I want, but not print a document saying the same thing and distribute it?
No one talks out of both sides of his mouth like cutter does.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:26 Mr. Tact

So Cutter, I should be allowed to say whatever I want, but not print a document saying the same thing and distribute it?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:19 Leper

Necrophob wrote on May 3, 2017, 15:09:
I've gotten over my initial puzzlement over their choice of Idris for Roland, but that trailer didn't leave me hopeful about the movie. The scene where he loads his revolvers by somehow catching the bullets in the revolvers' cylinders in midair just dripped of Hollywood action movie crap. I'm afraid they're turning The Dark Tower into The Fast and The Furious, Mid-World Edition.

Also, I was disappointed by what was shown of McConaughey. Flagg is a character that would benefit from his more eccentric performances, and they didn't indicate that that would be the direction he was taking. He just looks like your typical action movie bad guy. Oh well, wait and see i guess.

Shame on you Hollywood...you have forgotten the face of your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

It kinda felt like I was watching a preview for higher-budget fantasy NBC TV series. I'll probably still go watch it if the reviews aren't terrible, but not hopeful about this production. I was looking for something more mysterious and epic.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 15:39 Cutter

I disagree. I've never believed that the Press has any special rights. They've used that sort of bullshit excuse - the public has a right to know - to destroy far more lives than any they've helped. For every one example where there was a net positive benefit like Watergate, there are literally thousands of others that are negative. And the days of "objective" journalism - if there ever really was such a thing and I don't think there has been - are long, long past. If it isn't the state dictating what is and isn't fit to print the corporations in the "free" world certainly are.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 15:10 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2017, 12:26:
w00+!!!!
Idris Elba is great.
The only thing he might not be good at would be playing wonder woman or a young spiderman, but even that's debatable.

while we only have like 10 seconds of dialog to work with in the trailer, i wouldn't be surprised if idris elba outshines mcconaughey in this. he looks super dialed in.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 15:09 Necrophob

I've gotten over my initial puzzlement over their choice of Idris for Roland, but that trailer didn't leave me hopeful about the movie. The scene where he loads his revolvers by somehow catching the bullets in the revolvers' cylinders in midair just dripped of Hollywood action movie crap. I'm afraid they're turning The Dark Tower into The Fast and The Furious, Mid-World Edition.

Also, I was disappointed by what was shown of McConaughey. Flagg is a character that would benefit from his more eccentric performances, and they didn't indicate that that would be the direction he was taking. He just looks like your typical action movie bad guy. Oh well, wait and see i guess.

Shame on you Hollywood...you have forgotten the face of your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 13:31  Blue 

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2017, 10:13:
Well, technically religion is first, then speech second, and the press third:

I meant that it was in the first amendment, but you are, of course, correct.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 12:48 Placid

nm  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 12:26 RedEye9

w00+!!!!
Idris Elba is great.
The only thing he might not be good at would be playing wonder woman or a young spiderman, but even that's debatable.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 10:13 Mr. Tact

Well, technically religion is first, then speech second, and the press third:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

that said, you are absolutely correct to indicate how important it is. One of the things the bothers me the most about Trump is his constant attacks on the press. Does the press lean left and/or right, you better believe it. Even if they aren't always doing it intentionally, it is just the nature of being human. His on-going attacks have a tinge/taint/whatever of authoritarianism which is very troubling...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo