Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War III Released

SEGA announces the release of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, the latest installment in the sci-fi real-time strategy series. The recent Fragments of War trailer offers the latest look at the game, and the announcement has all the details on the game, as well as Relic General Manager Justin Dowdeswell's comments about the release marking "a huge step forward into a new era for the studio:

Relic Entertainment and SEGA Europe welcome players back to battle today with the release of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III on Windows PC. Dawn of War III brings the iconic Warhammer 40,000 universe to life, immersing players in the explosive brutality of galactic war as they vie for supremacy and survival.

Dawn of War III marks the franchise’s return to real-time strategy essentials like base building, massive armies, and resource management, while retaining the series’ innovations in powerful heroes and unit customization. The result is a fresh take on RTS, made even better by the introduction of the largest units and most devastating abilities Relic has ever produced on-screen.

“This is a huge day for everyone at Relic,” said Philippe Boulle, Game Director of Dawn of War III. “Seeing Dawn of War III in the hands of players is the culmination of years of effort. We’ve been blown away by the reception at shows, and during betas. We’re thrilled to get it in the hands of fans.”

The battles of Dawn of War III surge to life as three familiar foes clash once more: Space Marines, genetically modified super soldiers fighting for the Imperium of Man; the Eldar, a mysterious race imbued with powerful psychic abilities; and the Orks, a brutal and violent horde of hooligans that are as entertaining to watch as they are terrifying to encounter.

A mysterious prophecy, a powerful weapon, and a planet re-emerging from the Warp set the events of the single-player campaign in motion. Told from the perspectives of all three factions, you’ll uncover a dark truth lies beneath the surface as the fates of Gabriel Angelos, Farseer Macha, and Gorgutz ‘Ead’unter become increasingly intertwined. The 17-mission campaign challenges you to command epic heroes, assemble huge armies, and wage war across a range of hostile environments.

In Multiplayer, the scale of Dawn of War III hits its peak as teams of up to three players go head-to-head in a fast-paced fight to the finish. But before you hit the battlefield, you’ll need to forge an army. With three factions, 27 elite heroes, and 60 Doctrines available to unlock, there are unprecedented options to shape your playstyle, and obliterate your foes across eight dynamic maps.

“This release marks a huge step forward into a new era for the studio,” said Justin Dowdeswell, General Manager of Relic. “It’s the perfect way to kick off our 20th year of making great games and a strong sign of what’s to come. This is only the beginning.”

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 28, 2017, 07:48 Bub

Its kind of sad how almost all of the money grubbers running big game houses have seen how successful a few MOBAS have been that now no matter what type of game franchise, from MMOs to RTS, they sink the most development resources into trying to make those games more MOBA like.

Imagine if your local library used the same logic. Cookbooks out circulate all other types/genres of books, so from here on out, the library will only add books that include recipes. Does that new SciFi book have any recipes in it, because if it does not, the library won't stock it.

If game companies want to make MOBAS, fine, but stop trying to shoehorn every other well established game type into that mold.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 28, 2017, 06:01 NetHead

Orogogus wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:59:
NetHead wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:39:
Looking at the reception of Dawn of War, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm on Steam they get from 80% to 95%, the 80% actually being a standout in only recent Soulstorm ratings while all others are 90+. It then declines severely from there with sequels.

Eh? I see 87% for both DoW II and Chaos Rising, then 90% for Retribution.

As mentioned I was taking into account "recent" ratings, quite relevant when praising an older game as it avoids thinking it has high ratings due to nostalgia and rose coloured glasses. Also helps avoid early hype ratings or "rating fights" especially with newer games as once the game is no longer new ratings tend to be honest and about the game rather than influenced by anything else.

If I weren't considering recent ratings then Soulstorm's rating would be 94% instead of the standout (low, relatively) 80% I mentioned for its recent ratings.

28. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 28, 2017, 05:04 SpectralMeat

jimeh wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 21:13:
Every unit that dies stays laying dead on the field.
Every bullet hole, bomb crater, etc remains on the field.
It may be different in the final game vs the beta but from all the gameplay vids I've seen, and games I've played this isn't true unfortunately.
Some dead enemies and blood etc stays on the ground but most of it disappears over time.
I so wish they would have made it so that all that stuff stays, I absolutely love detail like that. I absolutely love details like that.
CoH2, Supreme Commander, Battlefield games are some of the games does a fantastic job of this.

Again I haven't played the finished game only the beta so it may be different from what I've seen.

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Apr 28, 2017, 00:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Unknown Soldier wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 20:20:
I've played the first two campaign missions and there are no MOBA elements in that part at least. Or if there are, I don't know what a MOBA is. It plays like a RTS. Maybe the multiplayer is MOBA-like but I was never into DOW multi anyway.

Just saw there's already a patch released for the graphics settings issue. That was fast!

Yeah, I have no idea what anyone here is talking about with the MOBA stuff. I was just watching gameplay vids of it from a couple days ago, and there was nothing MOBA-like about it at all. If having to kill a specific enemy structure is what they're saying makes it like a MOBA, then those people are just retarded.

I don't know if I'll like the game or not, because I'm not really interested in the multiplayer. I'll have to look into whether the single player aspects are worth it.

Either way, this is NOT remotely like a MOBA.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 21:50 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:27:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 12:57:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 12:55:
Wahhhh. Waaaahhh never changes.
Unlike this series.
Wish they would have updated the original instead of what they did

I know Dawn of War 2 fizzled because it went away from traditional RTS and went super micro-managed but I f*cking *loved* that game. I probably put 300 hours into it and just played it through a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. My only complaint was that the Chaos Rising expansion had a weird loot distribution to it.

I think it would have done better if it wasn't a dawn of war title.

I loved DoW 2 campaign too, probably played it 3 or 4 times and it was always different since the various level up things really gave you different options... kinda sad we don't get to see a real continuation of this

Sales for DoW 3 are gonna be interesting once steamspy updates as well....
http://steamspy.com/app/285190

25. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 21:39 eRe4s3r

Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 15:53:
Wow, I just read some Steam reviews on what they did to the gameplay. Think I'll pick up Warhammer Total War instead.

That one IS good, right?
If you wait for the bundle sale when Warhammer 2 drops, with all the DLC, then yeah. Since the games are supposed to somehow integrate into each other. So wait for the summer sale. Which we all know comes

24. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 21:13 jimeh

This games polished to a bright sheen!

Every unit that dies stays laying dead on the field.
Every bullet hole, bomb crater, etc remains on the field.
You can tell when you're shooting an armoured target because bullets will bounce off it.
Unit death animations relate to the attack that killed it. Huge swords will cut guys in half!

It's a fantastic RTS with a focus on action. A quick game is a good game, after all!

The game is divided into three phases. In the first 10 minutes you get most your money back when units die. Phase 2 and 3 (at 20 and 30) lower the money you get back for dying and raise the money that resource extractors give you. It adds up to non-stop action.

23. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 20:20 Unknown Soldier

I've played the first two campaign missions and there are no MOBA elements in that part at least. Or if there are, I don't know what a MOBA is. It plays like a RTS. Maybe the multiplayer is MOBA-like but I was never into DOW multi anyway.

Just saw there's already a patch released for the graphics settings issue. That was fast!

22. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 19:32 thecakeisalie

This is the first DoW game I won't be buying. Sad that Relic is so creatively bankrupt that they can't give us a refined vision of what made DoW great in the first place and instead give us yet another MOBA-clone. Sad.  

21. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 18:05 asmodeos

I feel obligated to voice my affection for DOW3. I'm having a great time with it. The scale means more units battling, and the detail makes the action fun. Plenty of gore too.

Some of us absolutely love what Relic has created! It's action packed, fun, lots of micro, tactics are rewarded, customizing paint jobs is easy, and more.

Highly recommended

20. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 17:44 SimplyMonk

Huh. Interesting they would of gone this route. Command & Conquer had very little luck going for their MOBA/RTS mix as well, although they went a different route than DoW3 seems to have gone. Probably won't pick this up on release obviously, but I'll watch a few streams and if the gameplay/modes look fun a few months from now maybe pick it up in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle.  

19. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 17:43 ledhead1969

Ok, let me get this straight...it is now a MOBA. No base building/management. No unit building. No unit management (except for my hero). There are only 3 lanes per map. My opponent also controls one hero. Is that what this game is or is it basically the last game with base building added back in?  

18. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 17:23 FloorPie

It is as much moba as rts at this point. Its no where near as good as DoW2 and I wasn't a fan of that game. It has one MP mode, the power core map. You can take out the base building and you wouldn't miss a thing.  

17. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 17:10 Theo

The people calling this a moba are head in hands dumb frankly... The thing is that the objective is similar (IE kill the enemys "core"), but other than that its a very relic style RTS with hero units that require you to do a little micro management (as to be expected from a DOW game).

Honestly the steam reviews of this are everything that is wrong with steam reviews.

For me, i am enjoying it - its not quite what i wanted from a DOW game, but i will get my moneys worth i think.

techncially it feels a bit rough, a few frame rate issues - options not sticking the options menu etc. hope that gets patched up soon.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

16. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:59 Orogogus

NetHead wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:39:
Looking at the reception of Dawn of War, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm on Steam they get from 80% to 95%, the 80% actually being a standout in only recent Soulstorm ratings while all others are 90+. It then declines severely from there with sequels.

Eh? I see 87% for both DoW II and Chaos Rising, then 90% for Retribution.

15. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:39 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:22:
Steam reviews indicate...this game is shit, compared to DoW1.

Oh well, I can write Relic off as a studio now, officially, at least.

They want to be some sort of MOBA/multiplayer Esport game company, not a good RTS company.

That's a shame, chasing some other popular format instead of just making a good game.

Relic seems to make strange RTS games, looking at their releases it can be summed up as Homeworld, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes. It's starting to seem like they have a formula they make their games from and the franchise gets applied to it, like Ubisoft does.

Hamfistedly forcing MOBA/esports into the mix seems like a loss. Not only because there's already so much competition there but in this case because Dawn of War already has so many fans wanting a new game, a new Dawn of War game. I'd be surprised if DoW wasn't Relic's most loved game with the most fans waiting for more of what made them love it. Ripe for the picking in a genera with little competition and they instead steer into Esports, foolish. Don't know and can't even guess if it's Relic or Sega who pushed for it.

Arguably their best game being the only typical RTS game they've ever made, makes it all the more nonsensical straying further from a typical RTS especially with that franchise.

I haven't seen anything about Dawn of War 3 that makes me want to play it, while things like "esports" makes me want to avoid it and this isn't the only mention of it as some thoughtful reviews also point out that aspect being there at the expense of the game.

What a failure, it doesn't matter if this game breaks even or makes decent profit etc, it's a failure compared to what it could have been both as a game and it's reception.

14. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:24:
Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:17:
According to the Steam reviews I read this one's played like a moba.

Am I terrible that this would actually make me more interested in this game?

Yes....

Developers need to keep the MOBA bullshit out of actual RTS games. Of course, apparently the majority of the gameplaying public doesn't agree with that, but the dwindling crowd of crusty old school people would like a good RTS every now and then.

13. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:24 Drayth

...and it's all Slick's fault.  

12. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:24 Slick

Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:17:
According to the Steam reviews I read this one's played like a moba.

Am I terrible that this would actually make me more interested in this game?

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

11. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:18 Burrito of Peace

All I wanted was a modern Dark Crusade. Guess I'll be passing on this one, too. Shame, Relic was badass back in the day.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo