Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2017, 12:23 RedEye9

Even Microsoft recommends caution and waiting when installing a new update. SOURCE: PC World published this on April 26.
The story behind the story: Microsoft's old school software testing team was greatly reduced a few years ago, and it's pretty clear that the Windows Insider program isn't picking up the slack in full. So it's not surprising to see Microsoft encourage patience for those who want to upgrade.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 11:54 Verno

History repeating itself yet again.

I think I'll take a go at installing Enterprise on my gaming machine at home, my system seems way less responsive after a few days with this.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 04:19 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 20:28:
Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 18:35:
I agree, he has no idea what is going to be in an update. Hence the reason he recommends waiting.

Since we're in violent agreement I give you permission to shake it off and have a little happy dance.

Now see, that wasn't so hard. Now go run along, scamp. I'll put a star on the calendar for ya.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 20:28 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 18:35:
I agree, he has no idea what is going to be in an update. Hence the reason he recommends waiting.

Since we're in violent agreement I give you permission to shake it off and have a little happy dance.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 18:35 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 16:28:
You seem really bothered by this so let me try to ease your pain.
The jist of the article is about waiting to upgrade while other people test the software for you. It pertains to every Windows 10 release from here on out.
In this one thread we have already seen a couple of people who have had problems, this ain't rocket science.
For someone that has a journalism background you would think someone who has basic knowledge of the subject matter would be able to undstand the point he was making, or maybe it's something only readers of tech articles would understand.

You always take that route and it gets tiresome. Whenever you dig at someone that doesn't agree with your holier-than-thou opinion, it's always that the person is 'really bothered' or 'triggered' or 'taking it a little too seriously' or 'overreacting'. I didn't agree, I stated as such, you came back with another typical slap at me without addressing anything I said about the subject and then I came back calling you on it. That doesn't make me bothered. It makes you incompetent at discussing things without resorting to juvenile games.

My point stands that he had absolutely no way of knowing how or what would be in the final release but penned a deeply opinionated, almost to the point of ranting, article. That's all I said. I'm not even going to get into the whole point that this is basically an op-ed article but it's not labeled as such, which is bad form in itself. I'm sorry if my words hurt your devotion to some tech guy. Yes, I read tech sites too, young grasshopper. You're not the only one. But I don't then go white-knighting the authors any chance I can, regardless if I like their work or not. Again, I didn't agree with the article, that doesn't mean I didn't fucking understand it.

So what's it gonna be this time? Snip my response into some nonsense attempt at deflection or are you going to be a logical adult and actually respond without tired old games?

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 16:28 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 15:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 09:58:
Rigs wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 21:06:
Micro-Novella snipped for brevity.
You're excused, even though you still didn't grasp Leonhards main point about waiting.
You can lead a horse to water and all that jazz but whatever.

Just because you totally ignored what I said to get in a jab (a very old and lame one at that), doesn't mean it isn't true. For someone that spouts about personal reflection, I find you do little if any.
You seem really bothered by this so let me try to ease your pain.
The jist of the article is about waiting to upgrade while other people test the software for you. It pertains to every Windows 10 release from here on out.
In this one thread we have already seen a couple of people who have had problems, this ain't rocket science.
For someone that has a journalism background you would think someone who has basic knowledge of the subject matter would be able to undstand the point he was making, or maybe it's something only readers of tech articles would understand.

26. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 15:51 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 15:34:
Oh oh!! Can I guess who the MOST miserable poster is?! Can I? Hmmm...I'm gonna go with Cutter...seems obvious and I only had to buy one vowel...

For the record, remind me never to piss in your cornflakes, Beamer...

=-Rigs-=

I mean, everyone here is miserable sometime or about some thing (we all have our triggers, for most it seems to be Star Citizen), but, with that guy, it's every single post, so when he acts like there's one thing he's particularly angry at and we should listen to him...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 15:37 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 09:58:
You're excused, even though you still didn't grasp Leonhards main point about waiting.

Just because you totally ignored what I said to get in a jab (a very old and lame one at that), doesn't mean it isn't true. For someone that spouts about personal reflection, I find you do little if any.

=-Rigs-=

24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 15:34 Rigs

Oh oh!! Can I guess who the MOST miserable poster is?! Can I? Hmmm...I'm gonna go with Cutter...seems obvious and I only had to buy one vowel...

For the record, remind me never to piss in your cornflakes, Beamer...

=-Rigs-=

23. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 13:26 Beamer

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 12:41:

I'm WAY beyond the fuck Microsoft stage, man. I'm dreaming every night of becoming a giant turd monster and squatting over Redmond.

No one takes your words of advice because you're way beyond the "fuck anything that isn't CJ_Parker" stage. I imagine your entire life is you sitting in a dark basement somewhere, dreaming of becoming a giant turd monster on literally every single thing you come across. That, and finding awful new puns that only you think is clever.

You're beyond the boy who cried wolf. No one here, or probably anywhere, cares when you dislike something because you dislike everything. Your entire persona, and probably entire life, is devoted to hating everything around you. You seem to derive no joy from anything in life other than being the giant turd monster that craps in everyone else's playground.

You're the second most miserable poster here, so no one cares if you dislike Microsoft because that's just business as usual for you.

-------------

22. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 26, 2017, 13:02 descender

Why is Defender even on in the first place? Oh, you're one of those special turds that don't use a real AV.

There is something seriously wrong with your install if all of those settings changed, I've not witnessed that on over a dozen machines. Almost sounds like your appdata folder didn't carry over, or you have registry corruption.

There is certainly something to be said about people that fuck with their installs too much, disable too many things they don't understand... and then wonder why they can't update properly. "It's not you" seems wildly inappropriate here.

edit: As to my shuffling background syndrome... I think my problem is related to the mirror driver for Teamviewer or Logmein... my home machine still won't cycle individual images. I could probably use a fresh install, I haven't done that since the original 10 upgrade.

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 12:41 CJ_Parker

I got this a few weeks ago via regular Windows update already (guess I was in an early rollout wave).

As with the Anniversary Update this was a complete clusterfuck and stole over an hour of my valuable time until I had reverted all privacy settings back to stop fucking spying on me assholes and until I had uninstalled all unwanted apps that were once more dumped on my valuable SSD space without my consent (of course).

I'm WAY beyond the fuck Microsoft stage, man. I'm dreaming every night of becoming a giant turd monster and squatting over Redmond.

Serious word of advice here: If you value your privacy then make sure to go through ALL of your privacy related settings. ALL. OF. THEM. The sneaky Mickeysoft fuckers reverted settings in a totally random fashion.
Do not check just one page in privacy settings and think everything is OK or as it was. It isn't. Check everything. They've made it extra annoying hoping that people won't notice which settings they've changed. To make double sure, go through the entire settings pages, not just the privacy page.

The worst offender is Defender by the way (oh the irony). They turn on both, cloud-based protection and automatic sample submission by default.
These settings basically allow MS to access ANY and ALL of your files at their convenience under the pretense to check for viruses and malware. It's like sharing your HDD/SDD with the WAN, i.e. your data free for all to fuck with as they please.

And if you use custom settings for your nVidia driver then check the control panel. The update resets everything to default settings for some shitty reason (same with the anniversary update cuz it's apparently too hard for MS to code something that doesn't fuck up stuff left, right and center).

20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 10:20 LiTh

Updated, works great for me.  

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 09:58 RedEye9

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2017, 11:13.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 07:22 Bub

Been supplying Microsoft with a years worth of telemetry from my home HP Pavilion notebook. So Win 10 was slurping all this information so they could anticipate and fix issues faster etc. Ha... Win 10 Content Creators update is a total fiasco on my Pavilion now.

Every week or so the update takes over my computer for an hour or so of downloading and diskthrashing, only to end with an error message:

"Some apps need to be uninstalled
These programs need to be uninstalled because they aren't
compatible with the upgrade.

HP AMD Carrizo A10-8700 CPU

Uninstall and Continue"

Right, uninstall your CPU and then continue...

HP, AMD, and Microsoft are all now in finger pointing mode, with no resolution in sight.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2017, 23:04 Sacrifice

I installed Creator's Update early and haven't had any issues. It has a few nice enhancements. That being said, if you are like me and don't care about the new creator apps, there aren't any major changes.

I am looking forward to the Neon Update which will hopefully bring some nice visual enhancements.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

16. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 25, 2017, 23:00 Beamer

Drayth wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 21:49:
I've been using dual monitors for the past two months, and it's had different images on each since I got the set up going. I'm using slideshow. Weird.

Same. Different images in a slideshow, though the slideshow is pulling from the same source.

-------------

15. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 25, 2017, 21:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

ReactOS is getting better every day, and it's builts off Windows, so Linux fears can avoid being triggered.

I'm playing around with it on one old comp now, debating whether or not to go full ReactOS on every machine I have. Maybe a little longer... but definitely the game playing future OS for me, especially if Valve has utterly given up on SteamOS.

The spyware and other nonsense in Windows 10 is too much for me. You can at least disable most of it in Windows 8.1, but even that has a limited life expectancy.

14. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 25, 2017, 21:49 Drayth

I've been using dual monitors for the past two months, and it's had different images on each since I got the set up going. I'm using slideshow. Weird.  

13. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 25, 2017, 21:09 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 13:12:
? Weird. I've got Witcher 3 screenshots slideshowing on multiple monitors without issues on Win10.

Different images on each or the same image on both, in slideshow?

I just go with different images, but not in a slideshow.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo