Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

NVIDIA Flow Video

This video was posted the other day by NVIDIA, so thanks Hypothermia for noticing it. This is a demonstration of NVIDIA GameWorks Flow in DirectX 12, which includes some snappy visuals (but no auto insurance). The description goes into some detail, in case "snappy" was too technical for you:
NVIDIA Flow is a realtime fluid simulation - in this demo, simulating fire and smoke. The simulation is based on an adaptive sparse voxel grid, allowing the simulation to focus compute and memory resources around regions of interest, and track shifts in the region of interest over time.

With the fire, the combustion process is simulated per voxel, generating elevated temperatures and smoke, which influences the visual appearance and produces buoyancy and expansion effects on the fluid simulation.

An adaptive sparse voxel grid is also used to compute self-shadowing on the smoke, increasing both the realism and visualizing the structure of the smoke. The fluid simulation supports real time collision with objects in the environment, along with fuel emitters than can be modified in real time, making the simulation fully interactive.

View

16. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 10:56 Zor

I think there are reasons to be cranky about Gameworks and reasons to be glad of it.

I'm glad there are hardware/software developers who are getting to create stuff like what we see in the video. It's very cool and I'm sure it was a rewarding challenge for them and they get to see their work shown off and hopefully implemented in the future.

But then, I'm sick of Nvidia's marketing management keeping a system like this so closed off from reality that we almost never see it implemented in games and whenever it is it's an afterthought (@ BL2 reference, which was a good example). I have the same gripes with dual GPU support as well.

Advances like this shouldn't be stuck behind proprietary hardware and it sucks that there are people at NV who still think it benefits them to keep it that way. I can't imagine developers are being incentivized enough or at all to bring these wacky features to their games at the exclusion of customers. You don't want to be the game developer who tells it's players that they're wrong for buying AMD.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Apr 23, 14:58 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Slick
  4. Apr 23, 15:42  Re: NVIDIA Flow Video RedEye9
  10. Apr 23, 23:53   Re: NVIDIA Flow Video jdreyer
  11. Apr 24, 03:20    Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Wesp5
  12. Apr 24, 09:02     Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Slick
  2. Apr 23, 15:02 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Xero
  3. Apr 23, 15:31 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video jacobvandy
  5. Apr 23, 16:15 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Agent-Zero
  6. Apr 23, 18:25 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video eRe4s3r
  7. Apr 23, 18:55 Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Caslon