Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Earth Day! I'm personally fond of the Earth, as I spend much of my time here. Here's hoping we can find better ways to balance our civilization with nature, though that may require focusing on the environment for a second day every year. I know, I'm one of those radicals.

Earthy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tap Tap West.
Stories: Wildfires rage across Florida, destroying homes and displacing thousands.
American Airlines is investigating claim that flight attendant violently confronted mother.
Science: Why people are marching for science: ‘There is no Planet B.’
107 cancer papers retracted due to peer review fraud.
Diet sodas may be tied to stroke, dementia risk. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: HeroStorm Ep 24 Pro Be Us.
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (Honest Game Trailers).
Digging into the surprisingly mysterious life of Bob Ross.
The Funnies: How Video Games Companies Think We Act VS Reality.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 15:45 Cutter

Skeptic magazine did a full edition on the War on Cancer a year or two back. They found there was a lot of this. A lot of waste. A lot of deceit. And very little actual progress overall in spite of the hundreds of billions of dollars that's been poured into since the 1950s. A few of the less aggressive forms have seen some big gains but on the whole it was something like only a 17& reduction since the 50s. That's pretty mind-boggling given how much money is involved in that industry - and make no mistake it is that. What's really amazing is that most cancer would never occur with a better standard of living and better diet and exercise.

Doncha just love when airlines spew bullshit like "What we see on this video does not reflect our values or how we care for our customers."
Rolleyes

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 14:21 Dacote

March for Science, a guaranteed republicon free event.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 14:16 Tipsy McStagger

\m/ I always celebrate earth day with Devin Townsend

Bonus Devin Townsend clip from Shoot Em Up Headbang

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 14:03 jdreyer

107 cancer papers retracted due to peer review fraud.

But some journals go further and request, or allow, authors to submit the contact details of these potential reviewers. If the editor isn’t aware of the potential for a scam, they then merrily send the requests for review out to fake e-mail addresses, often using the names of actual researchers. And at the other end of the fake e-mail address is someone who’s in on the game and happy to send in a friendly review.

Wow, who peer-reviewed that peer-review process?

And here's how they caught them:

“When a lot of the fake peer reviews first came up, one of the reasons the editors spotted them was that the reviewers responded on time,” Wager told Ars. Reviewers almost always have to be chased, so “this was the red flag. And in a few cases, both the reviews would pop up within a few minutes of each other.”

Hilarious.

Stay a while, and listen.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo