Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins

Fragments of War trailer from Dawn of War III whets appetites for next week's release with a look at authentic "not actual gameplay footage" from the real-time strategy sequel. In the meantime, the multiplayer open beta is now underway, so those interested in that should sign up on this page if they have not already. Here's word on the new video:

With the release of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III just one week away, Relic Entertainment and SEGA Europe are pleased to release the Fragments of War trailer. On April 27, the planet Acheron will emerge from the warp, bringing with it the mysterious Spear of Khaine – the powerful weapon that sets Dawn of War III in motion, drawing three familiar faces ever closer to their intertwined fates.

Through its haunting narration, the trailer surfaces the defining features of the story’s core heroes – Gabriel Angelos of the Space Marines, Farseer Macha of the Eldar, and Gorgutz ‘Ead’unter of the Orks. But as each shard twists, doubt is cast over whether those features will propel them to power, or see them left bloodied in defeat.

Dawn of War III’s story will unfold across 17 single-player missions, challenging players to command epic heroes, assemble huge armies, and wage war across a range of hostile environments. In Multiplayer, the scale of battle will hit its peak as players unleash towering war machines and screen-shaking super abilities to defeat their foes.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 23, 2017, 20:19 eRe4s3r

The joke is that DOW3 would work pretty nicely as just another HOTS map, you couldn't even tell the difference if the heroes and minions from Wh40k were actually in too. Graphics wise HOTS would even win that competition.

And that is imo one of the worst compliments to give to DoW3, because yeah, hots is *free* and has more gameplay variety (which considering it's a moba, is pretty funny). 1 game mode, map design, unit balance, in DoW 3 many things scream MOBA....

To me no hard-retreat makes it a no-sale by default. That was one of the best features in Dow 2 which is, I hate to say it, now looking like the better 40k RTS. Immersion wise Dow 3 is a joke. The Eldar sound.... not good.

All this at 60€.. yeah, that is not gonna happen.

I think the real reason why this game turns me off so badly, is that it's a REALLY shit Warhammer 40k game, and a kinda good competitive RTS for e-sport circles.

But I don't buy this game for competitive e-sport, I buy it for Warhammer 40k atmosphere, and I will await indepth campaign reviews... 17 missions for 3 races already sounds kinda odd. That means tutorials, and ~5 missions per race? How would they even tell a coherent story this way?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 23, 2017, 18:40 FloorPie

jimeh wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 03:19:
You're all just searching for reasons not to like it to hide the fact you're too afraid to play online cos you'll get your asses kicked.:P

This is why RTS is a dead genre. It allows too much for skilled players to dominate, sort of like Quake, but what kids-these-days want is like Call of Duty where when you suck and die it notices and spawns you behind someone for an easy kill. Overwatch with its built in "abilities" like auto-aim and other no skill ultimates. Survival shooters where you sneak around looting until you shoot someone in the back and enjoy it because it wasn't you it was happening to.

Someone said DOW3 borrowed elements from mobas, which you're afraid to play because you'll get your ass kicked online, so you're holding on to that comment as tight as you can, not even realising its a good thing to have a team goal to stop kids trolling by hiding units around the map so you can't actually end the game although you've clearly won. How many people keep playing starcraft2 after you zerg rush all their SRVs with some 6pool shit that bipasses the whole game?

So, lets talk about the two "moba" elements.

1. A tower. (Stationary structure with ranged attack)
Stops cheesy base rushing making early game rushes about map control, resource nodes, instead of something annoying like killing workers.IF you want to build your base far back behind the tower it will be safe most the game. If you want to drop your building at forward locations as a place to heal and reinforce squads it is a better location in some ways. This tower gives players of all skill levels a chance to have a good time!

1. The thing you kill to win.
How many times have you won an RTS match without getting to destroy the enemy base because he quits because he decided you'll win? Build up this big army then never get to use it! This thing is a good victory condition. Much better than other RTS where players just ragequit when they're losing, or send 1000 bombers at your Commander, etc, etc.

I have seen some amazing comebacks already. The matches have fantastic pace, the maps have great flow, the games go for a perfect length and its non-stop tactical action the whole time.

This is the best RTS going in a mostly dead genre. Yes, its too expensive. Yes, the DLC will probably ruin the balance they have going so far. But, right now, it is a great Relic RTS and the best RTS going. [/rant]

Except it isn't much of a good rts. Its unbalanced. The economy is wonky. The map we have is small for 3v3 so far. It has one MP game mode. One. The power core moba esque mode that as Eraser mentioned, is pointless if you lose your basic control points. You might as well quit with a GG because it will take another 5-10 mins to lose, where you will not come back unless the other side makes bad mistakes. Escalation mode doesn't really help, as unit costs are high in most cases. Early game/basic units don't stand up to elites most of the time. It isn't just the tower thing that is moba either, it is the focus on elites by mid to end game. Reinforcing is mostly pointless mid game onwards, unless you're losing and again, why bother because 30 seconds to a min later your rebuilt squad will just get slaughtered.

Throwing in complaints about Commander bomber snipes from SC or PA is just nonsensical for a DoW game, especially since with DoW3 all you need is the mega elite and that is your comm snipe mechanic.

Maybe the game is better in 1v1, I'll have to try a couple games there but the game is a half-assed RTS and a pale imitation of the DoW games. If I want a moba, I load up HoTS. They could take out the base building completely and you would miss nothing. Just call in a servitor to build listening posts (or why bother having them at all really).

27. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 23, 2017, 12:29 eRe4s3r

Flo wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 06:56:
This is why RTS is a dead genre. It allows too much for skilled players to dominate, sort of like Quake, but what kids-these-days want is like Call of Duty where when you suck and die it notices and spawns you behind someone for an easy kill. Overwatch with its built in "abilities" like auto-aim and other no skill ultimates. Survival shooters where you sneak around looting until you shoot someone in the back and enjoy it because it wasn't you it was happening to.
So true...

Actually it may be true, but it's also irrelevant, DoW to me isn't just about RTS gaming, it's about Warhamer 40k atmosphere, grim dark gritty as fuck, and this game gets it TOTALLY wrong in such a way that this is the LoL fantasy world of Warhammer and not Warhammer 40k. Sumersaults with terminator armor and a thunder hammer, yes, that is STILL in the game. The weird way the melee system works, the magical "hides your stuff" brushes from LoL. There isn't much wrong gameplay wise (I'd give it a 7/10), but there is everything wrong atmosphere wise. And no annihilation game mode, in Warhammer 40k, a sci-fi universe about endless annihilation, that is downright comedic.

And the total FX overload. This isn't like in CoH2 where artillery really creates an immersive feeling of dust, craters and stuff, this is overcomplicated FX splattered in your face. And no deformable or destructible terrain, a substantial step back from CoH 2, heck, even from DoW 2.

And elite troop system unlocking grenades on tac marines is the dumbest thing ever put in a game. Any new player will get their ass handed to them without grenades. And that's just the few bits I noticed.

If you had read my rants about Overwatch you'd know that I hate this arcade gameplay in FPS, and I hate it in RTS, but what I hate far more then that is when a developer fucks up Warhammer 40k. Because this game can be the death of the license for good. We will not see real Warhammer 40k AAA titles anymore if this one fails. And such a heavy burned on such a laughable parody of Warhammer 40k makes me just incredibly sad.

And the lack of Victory points is downright maddening, no longer is a game open, the one who gets more map control by phase 3 (15 minutes) has *won*
The one who loses his entire army (magic brushes make this very possible) early on, has lost.

I've played 7 rounds, and 5 of them ended with someone GG'ing and quitting. So no, the mindset of Overwatch and assorted is still alive and well in this playerbase.

26. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 23, 2017, 06:56 Flo

So true...

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

25. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 23, 2017, 03:19 jimeh

You're all just searching for reasons not to like it to hide the fact you're too afraid to play online cos you'll get your asses kicked.:P

Someone said DOW3 borrowed elements from mobas, which you're afraid to play because you'll get your ass kicked online, so you're holding on to that comment as tight as you can, not even realising its a good thing to have a team goal to stop kids trolling by hiding units around the map so you can't actually end the game although you've clearly won. How many people keep playing starcraft2 after you zerg rush all their SRVs with some 6pool shit that bipasses the whole game?

So, lets talk about the two "moba" elements.

1. A tower. (Stationary structure with ranged attack)
Stops cheesy base rushing making early game rushes about map control, resource nodes, instead of something annoying like killing workers.IF you want to build your base far back behind the tower it will be safe most the game. If you want to drop your building at forward locations as a place to heal and reinforce squads it is a better location in some ways. This tower gives players of all skill levels a chance to have a good time!

1. The thing you kill to win.
How many times have you won an RTS match without getting to destroy the enemy base because he quits because he decided you'll win? Build up this big army then never get to use it! This thing is a good victory condition. Much better than other RTS where players just ragequit when they're losing, or send 1000 bombers at your Commander, etc, etc.

I have seen some amazing comebacks already. The matches have fantastic pace, the maps have great flow, the games go for a perfect length and its non-stop tactical action the whole time.

This is the best RTS going in a mostly dead genre. Yes, its too expensive. Yes, the DLC will probably ruin the balance they have going so far. But, right now, it is a great Relic RTS and the best RTS going. [/rant]

24. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 22:07 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 06:22:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 05:27:
"Not actual gameplay footage."

I found that statement curiously refreshing. With that said, this is one of the worst trailers I've seen like ever.

And you can tell they didn't hire the team that did the original (absolutely fantastical) CGI trailer again. It's just mediocre ^^

23. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 22:02 eRe4s3r

This review here, is soul shattering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDrmyvbXeIU

DoW3, the LoL clone.

Oh, and no close up zoom, no sync kills .. this ain't DoW ;p
And of course, pay to fucking win elite system from CoH 2....

22. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 21:42 FloorPie

Played some more, and this is a no purchase for me. Maybe on sale with more factions added in. Apparently the moba influenced power core map is the only MP gameplay in release with others promised in the future.

Its a weak effort overall. By mid game you're spamming units if you can and micro managing your elite units. Games take 30-45mins and you can tell if you're going to lose by minute 15 or so. It has pretentions of DoW1, very little of 2 in there and just meh in the end. Elite doctrines like coh2 and skins! Earn skull points! Buy skins and doctrines! DLC!

Meh, maybe the campaign will save it.

21. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 15:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, based on the comment*s* in this thread, I think I'll skip buying this new; I'll wait a couple of months for patches/price drop. The queue is overflowing anyway.

Plus they are missing all the fun races, so that'll be a DLC swarm at some point... it might even push me back until they do a GotY version.

*EDIT* comments, my bad.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2017, 18:42.

20. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 13:10 jimeh

Beta download is 18gb, I think.
I like it. Best DOW yet!

19. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 12:55 SpectralMeat

Watched the generals gentleman's video impression of the beta and they pretty much sum up the way I feel about it.
Meh. Too much Moba influence not enough of what made DoW great.
Just played DoW2 a bit and it is pretty much superior in almost every aspect including graphics.

Steam: SpectralMeat

18. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 11:46 El Pit

Bub wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 07:31:
I still bring out DOW I every once and a while. It was a nice RTS where most of the single player campaign let you proceed at your own pace, turtle down or blitz.

I stopped playing in the level where exactly this was not the case: play at your own pace. It was the level where you had to synchronously lead two different troops down two different paths. Too much stress for me in real time, I would have prefered such a mission in a turn based strategy game. Up to this mission, it was a very good RTS game, though.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

17. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 11:08 NetHead

Bub wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 07:31:
I still bring out DOW I every once and a while. It was a nice RTS where most of the single player campaign let you proceed at your own pace, turtle down or blitz.

I could not finish DOW II. The levels were smaller, more cramped, and more like MOBA lanes with a Boss at the end you had to dance around for five minutes to kill.

DOW III sounds like it is moving further away from the old school RTS and towards frantic twitchfest fast action. I'll pass.

I've lost count how many times I've played the first Dawn of War, not a ridiculous amount, maybe upto 10 times and it's always been fun.

Great game and I like those dialogue logs between missions, really adds to the atmosphere. Even helps set up the need for urgency without trying to force it upon the player ingame.

My only complaint about DoW1 would be the stupid "homie" Orcs, should have been something brutal and vicious instead of a cartoon Shrek boyzzzz.

Since then though the number of complaints and negative have just mounted up with each new game and it's the kind of negatives that really detract from the gameplay and enjoyment.

I haven't seen anything in DoW3 that makes me want to play it, other than the Warhammer theme, which they seem to splash all over crap games and spread so thin it's getting to the point that games released in that settings are making my eyes roll rather than giving excitement.

16. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 07:31 Bub

I could not finish DOW II. The levels were smaller, more cramped, and more like MOBA lanes with a Boss at the end you had to dance around for five minutes to kill.

DOW III sounds like it is moving further away from the old school RTS and towards frantic twitchfest fast action. I'll pass.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

15. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 06:22 VaranDragon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 05:27:

I found that statement curiously refreshing. With that said, this is one of the worst trailers I've seen like ever.

14. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 05:27 jdreyer

For such a disclaimer, it appeared to be comprised entirely of gameplay footage, at least the bits reflected in the shards.

Stay a while, and listen.

13. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 05:26 jdreyer

Rhett wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 20:28:
IIRC somewhere between 15 and 24GB. :X

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 19:31:
I am still on the fence about this one. I love DoW but I couldn't care less about MP in this title.
If that is their main focus (which it seems to be) I'll most likely skip this one.

Weird thing is it doesn't look "traditional". Apparently you fight over some bunker in the middle of the map, not to destroy your enemy. Or maybe there's different modes. But it didn't look ridiculously micromanagement-intensive like SC2. Still sorta slower paced like COH or DOW 2.

Sooo, MOBA-ish?

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 03:32 KilrathiAce

The graphics are actually less impressive when zoomed in than previous game dow2. Its a fact, zoom it in and watch animations etc. Further, no synch kills. Further, almost no cover, Further no last stand mode, a mode that was most popular part of dow2 game. Under sega developers IQ must of dropped.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 02:34 Steele Johnson

Geez, after 8 years you'd think they could design something better. It doesn't look like anything new and it looks boring graphics-wise.  

10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Apr 22, 2017, 00:38 Wowbagger_TIP

Not interested in MP, so I guess I'll just wait and see if there's enough SP gameplay to be worth buying.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo