Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 24, 2017, 09:26 Verno

People like Cutter are the reason we're moving rapidly to redemption systems without codes.  
Playing: Ever Oasis, Doom, Horizon Zero Dawn
Watching: Riviera, The Mist, Lucky Number Slevin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2017, 19:26 ViRGE

NetHead wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:24:
Yet when they complain to G2A to remove such codes and G2A asks for the codes in question they refuse, sometimes rudely and publicly.
G2A needs to go to the publisher with the codes, not the other way around.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2017, 13:24 NetHead

Tumbler wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 10:28:
People have codes to sell, and devs don't like it becoming more common place. I used to trade console games on sites like Goozex and 99gamers and those always screwed up by trying to have their own currency. You could also list game codes for sale but there was more risk involved for the buyer and seller because there wasn't a way to verify the code...

That's part of the crux. The only ones who can verify a code is the developer. They are the authority when it comes to which codes are valid for their game, which codes where bought fraudulently and should be revoked and so on.

Yet when they complain to G2A to remove such codes and G2A asks for the codes in question they refuse, sometimes rudely and publicly. They just publicly cry while moaning that G2A has to fix everything without G2A even knowing which codes are the problem.

It's like a bunch moaning and berating Ebay/pawnshop etc for selling stolen goods yet refusing to even list the items in question. How is anyone supposed to remove the items or look into the associated accounts with zero cooperation or information behind accusations.

These "devs" are so damned full of themselves and beyond entitled, they've become a mob. G2A wanted to offer some partnership program where devs get 10% of every second hand code sale and the devs almost started flinging feces at them. Because 10% on the second sale of a code, which has already been paid for in the first sale, is to low apparently even though they deserve 0% there.

They also wanted to have devs sell directly on G2A, offering them almost 90% of the profits, compare that to Valve, GOG etc that take about 30%+. How do you think that was met, with joy or even cautious optimism, or insults and public shaming.

The devs really have become like a mob, each delivering kicks and screams with not one of them willing to cooperate in fixing their problem. Yes this is their problem.

This is as close as it gets to actual digital piracy, unlike how the term is usually abused, people buying codes often directly from the devs with stolen cards and the money gets removed so a code/game was stolen.

Do these devs get insurance and go with appropriate payment methods, no.

Do they reveal the codes in question so they can be blacklisted on G2A or any such sites, no.

Do they revoke codes bought via stolen cards, almost always no, which only encourages the cycle to continue.

Do they even try to put a stop to one IP trying to buy 100+ codes on their site, no.

Do they accept any offer to work with G2A for a higher share of the profit than anyone else in the industry offers, hah that would be ridiculous because then they can't cry publicly anymore about someone else not fixing their problem and their mess.

There's bad business sense then there's just being a bunch of crybabies who are bullying someone who amounts to a messenger.

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2017, 05:41 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 17:15:
Cutter wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 10:34:
For anyone who lives in a country that gets shafted by regional pricing key reselling sites are a godsend, so fuck Total Biscuit and his ilk.

You're a greedy and ignorant person that weirdly loves calling everyone else those two words.

What you call "weird," I call the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Stay a while, and listen.

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 22:41 Burrito of Peace

Prez wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 17:05:
Again, the main problem is not selling cheap games - lots of sites do that. It's that without the proper safeguards that G2A lacks anything bought through G2A with a stolen credit card or hacked account will end up in a charge back that the developer is responsible for. This can and purportedly has resulted in developers having to pay quite a bit of money in charge back fees. That should be guarded against and G2A doesn't .

OK, that is outright theft and not at all kosher. I can see the validity of the complaints in that regard.

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 21:12 RedEye9

Cutter wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 19:50:
HoSpanky wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 15:38:
Cutter, Canada and Australia really get the shaft on game pricing, and that needs to be addressed by the developers/publishers directly. It's their own fault that people look elsewhere in those particular cases. But when someone buys keys meant for a country where "full" price would sell zero copies, then resells them in another country, that's some horseshit. Acting like it's the same as any other commodity is asinine; any other commodity costs money to physically transfer around the globe. THAT cost usually negates the savings, so it doesn't happen.

And that's before the stolen card shit is added in.

No it isn't horseshit. If they're willing to take less somewhere else than they're willing to take less everywhere. Just because you can screw someone doesn't mean you should. That's immoral and unethical. So again, fuck them.
Looks like someone does not understand basic business, not surprising that it's cutter.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 19:50 Cutter

Cutter, Canada and Australia really get the shaft on game pricing, and that needs to be addressed by the developers/publishers directly. It's their own fault that people look elsewhere in those particular cases. But when someone buys keys meant for a country where "full" price would sell zero copies, then resells them in another country, that's some horseshit. Acting like it's the same as any other commodity is asinine; any other commodity costs money to physically transfer around the globe. THAT cost usually negates the savings, so it doesn't happen.

No it isn't horseshit. If they're willing to take less somewhere else than they're willing to take less everywhere. Just because you can screw someone doesn't mean you should. That's immoral and unethical. So again, fuck them.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 17:15 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 10:34:
For anyone who lives in a country that gets shafted by regional pricing key reselling sites are a godsend, so fuck Total Biscuit and his ilk.

You're a greedy and ignorant person that weirdly loves calling everyone else those two words.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 17:05 Prez

Again, the main problem is not selling cheap games - lots of sites do that. It's that without the proper safeguards that G2A lacks anything bought through G2A with a stolen credit card or hacked account will end up in a charge back that the developer is responsible for. This can and purportedly has resulted in developers having to pay quite a bit of money in charge back fees. That should be guarded against and G2A doesn't .  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 16:37 Burrito of Peace

Acting like it's the same as any other commodity is asinine; any other commodity costs money to physically transfer around the globe.

HoSpanky, that would be correct if we were talking about solely physical goods, but we're not. We're talking about digital goods, which cost very, very little to transport globally. Those costs being electricity and bandwidth. A textbook case (pardon the pun) of these shenanigans is college/university ebooks. Pearson wants to charge you $250 bucks for an ebook that is required for a class. However, you can find the same ebook online from a distributor in, say, Thailand for $50 bucks or less that is the exact same book, edition, language, and all, so it makes little sense to pay the additional $200 for what is quite literally the same arrangement of data.

When it comes to such things, I have zero sympathy for those who engage in regional price gouging. It's a bullshit practice and whining and crying about consumers leveling the playing field is disingenuous at best and pathetic at worse.

"B...b...but they won't sell for $250 dollars in that other region!" Yeah, so? The fact that you have a vendor lockin with the educational system which is tantamount to collusion doesn't mean its ok to bleed the students. Likewise, I feel it is unethical and corrupt to charge customers in Canada and Australia nearly double for the same arrangement of data that you would in the US, Japan, or the UK. I also find no fault with consumers again leveling the financial playing field when there is zero difference between the digital products being offered for less elsewhere.

"B...b..but I/we/they have to eat!" So you do. However, you can run an ethical business without gouging your customers and still turn a profit. "B...b...but our costs are so high!" Are they? I bet that if we did a forensic accounting of your books that we could eliminate 30% of your costs by reducing the amount of upper management you have and the wages you pay them. Moreover, you can trickle that down to middle management as well. Want to keep your best managers? Pay them accordingly but eliminate the dead weight. Now, let's turn to your advertisement. Everyone knows you're going to churn out Call of Halo Battlefield Cry Assassins 218. You churn one out every year. It's expected and your customer base already knows about your products existence. Trim your advertisement down to match. You're not going to magically capture the 97 year old great-great-grandmother demographic by spending $250 million dollars. Focus on your core audience and spend your advertising dollars wisely. If you're introducing a new product, that's when you spend broadly to capture as many demographics as you can.

"B...b...but it costs so much to make X digital good!" Does it? Your largest expenditure is going to be your labor cost. Can't make a product without labor...yet. So, more or less, that's going to be a fixed cost. However, all the rest of the crap you're spending money on isn't and isn't an essential business cost. Instead of 72 competing delivery services, it makes a lot more sense to standardize on a common platform with buy-in from multiple producers. Spread the cost, and the risk, and you both reduce expenditure and increase goodwill because your customers don't really don't want 72 different clients running to access their goods.

My point is that businesses must conform the the customers, not the other way around. Continually complaining that the customer chooses an option that you don't like doesn't change the fact that your business practices suck and that you need to change them to appeal to the broadest set of customers possible.

If there's outright theft involved, I can understand the problem, but this doesn't seem at all like theft and a lot more like price fixing.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 15:38 HoSpanky

Sites like this are a problem for several reasons, and I get why devs hate them. Look, if what YOU did for a living was suddenly devalued by someone who's actively taking revenue from you, you'd be pissed too. You can say "well get over it", or "then go do something else", but if everyone left the industry, who would make games?

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 15:11 Nucas

the criticism of g2a shield is perfectly valid in my opinion since it auto-subscribes you to a renewing charge and the cancellation process is ridiculous. i went through it myself once, there are over a dozen click through steps, the final one being a confirmation email the site tells you will arrive in "about 15 minutes". it's timed not to send until exactly 15 minutes have passed, and the cancellation link inside expires after a few minutes itself.

the claim that it's a hotbed of thievery just doesn't hold water for me though. i have no doubt there are stolen keys sitting on g2a right now but the only cases i can recall are ubisoft revoking 1000 far cry 4 keys - which g2a re-imbursed all the purchasers of, g2ashield or no - and about the same amount of natural selection 2 keys. both were bought en masse through the humble store.

tinybuild also likes to bandy about the claim that they've lost 450,000 dollars from g2a because they think they deserve to get a cut from the resale of bundle keys on the g2a platform. give me a fucking break. just like always, people who would normally have to pay $60 are getting a game for $40 and some developers are crying over potential lost revenue. we've seen the same bullshit and crying about the secondhand market again and again in games; online activation limits, one-time use DLC, etc, all because game publishers think first sale doctrine doesn't apply to their industry. get fucked with that.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 10:51 Dacote

Tumbler wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 10:28:
Everytime someone complains about this site I go browse the stuff they have for sale. There are plenty of older games that people list for great prices.

Plus DLC for certain games is sometimes available at a lower price.

People have codes to sell, and devs don't like it becoming more common place. I used to trade console games on sites like Goozex and 99gamers and those always screwed up by trying to have their own currency. You could also list game codes for sale but there was more risk involved for the buyer and seller because there wasn't a way to verify the code. The seller reputation was the best tool.

With G2A the seller still takes a risk offering the code because a buyer could claim it doesn't work when it does but on the other side this shield service everyone is up in arms about gives the buyer a way to protect themselves.

Scammers are going to scam, thieves are going to steal, this site is shady but it's the only game in town when it comes to selling this kind of stuff. I'd like to see them improve as a service but I don't think the devs want that. They just want people to stop going there to buy games/keys.

Case in point that Warhammer game was $12 on the Humble Monthly Bundle. Now it sells for about $25 on the G2A website but if look at steam it's selling for $59.99. They don't want people to go buy it off G2A. They don't want people who bought it for $12 (less if you consider the other games) to sell their key for $25. They want to control pricing and G2A is a tool for consumers to buy and sell at different prices.

Make a better option. That is what game companies should have done instead of attacking Gamestop a few years back and it's what companies should be working with steam on right now.

Make a market place where I can list and sell my unused games because I've got plenty of them.
At least the first post was well reasoned. Thank You

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 10:34 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 10:28 Tumbler

Everytime someone complains about this site I go browse the stuff they have for sale. There are plenty of older games that people list for great prices.

Plus DLC for certain games is sometimes available at a lower price.

People have codes to sell, and devs don't like it becoming more common place. I used to trade console games on sites like Goozex and 99gamers and those always screwed up by trying to have their own currency. You could also list game codes for sale but there was more risk involved for the buyer and seller because there wasn't a way to verify the code. The seller reputation was the best tool.

With G2A the seller still takes a risk offering the code because a buyer could claim it doesn't work when it does but on the other side this shield service everyone is up in arms about gives the buyer a way to protect themselves.

Scammers are going to scam, thieves are going to steal, this site is shady but it's the only game in town when it comes to selling this kind of stuff. I'd like to see them improve as a service but I don't think the devs want that. They just want people to stop going there to buy games/keys.

Case in point that Warhammer game was $12 on the Humble Monthly Bundle. Now it sells for about $25 on the G2A website but if look at steam it's selling for $59.99. They don't want people to go buy it off G2A. They don't want people who bought it for $12 (less if you consider the other games) to sell their key for $25. They want to control pricing and G2A is a tool for consumers to buy and sell at different prices.

Make a better option. That is what game companies should have done instead of attacking Gamestop a few years back and it's what companies should be working with steam on right now.

Make a market place where I can list and sell my unused games because I've got plenty of them.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo