Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number

There's a Matchmaking Update on the Dota 2 website with the latest on Valve's MOBA. Among other things, they announce players are now required to link a phone number to their account in order to join the ranked queue. Here's word:

LINKED PHONE NUMBER
The first major change is that players must register a unique phone number to their account in order to queue for Ranked matches.

Players using multiple accounts create a negative matchmaking experience at all skill brackets, so our goal is to add just enough friction to this process that the number of players doing this will be noticeably reduced. Having more players using their primary accounts will have a positive effect on both Ranked and Unranked Matchmaking.

There will be a two-week grace period from today during which players have time to register a number, but starting on May 4th, accounts without a registered number will no longer be eligible for Ranked play. If a phone number is removed from an account after registration, a new number can be added, but there will be a three-month waiting period before the removed number can be registered on a new account. This is to prevent using the same number on multiple accounts. Online services that provide phone numbers are not allowed.

SOLO QUEUE
With the return of the Solo Queue, solo players who enter Ranked Matchmaking can now choose to be matched only with other solo players. Any player who selects this option will be placed into matches where all ten players are queuing solo.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 21, 2017, 14:22 ForgedReality

Solo queue! Yes! I've been waiting for this forever! Games with people teaming up are always way fucking harder and I almost always end up losing. Not because there are players working together, but it tends to pair me with MUCH higher ranked players. Annoying as shit.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 21, 2017, 07:32 Theo

ViRGE wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 06:44:
Hmm, any idea why Valve would be instituting this change now? Given all the work that goes into increasing your ranking, I'm not immediately seeing why someone would want multiple accounts, or why it would be a problem for Valve.

without speaking to how effective this is.

Smurfing is a huge problem on the DOTA/LOL/HOTS scene.

Its pretty fun for a high level player (who doesnt make much progress anymore), to start a new account and blaze through the lower ranks for fun.

It fucks things up for the lower ranks though, and skews all the match making generally.

It needs to be stoped. i dont know this is the right way though.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

5. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 21, 2017, 07:28 Luke

Its all about collecting data nada else they may callit something else BUT...its all about collecting and selling data they live HIGH on ya ....zombies  

4. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 21, 2017, 06:44 ViRGE

Hmm, any idea why Valve would be instituting this change now? Given all the work that goes into increasing your ranking, I'm not immediately seeing why someone would want multiple accounts, or why it would be a problem for Valve.  

3. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 21, 2017, 00:32 Cutter

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 22:01:
Although, what's to stop someone from getting a $20 burner phone at walmart?

While I'm sure there are some kooks out there that'll do this, the vast majority won't bother with it - so it's effective.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

2. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 20, 2017, 23:05 born2expire

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 22:01:

im pretty sure once you attach a phone number to your steam account you require mobile authentication to login to your steam.

1. Re: Ranked Dota 2 Now Requires Phone Number Apr 20, 2017, 22:01 Dev

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo