Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2017, 00:03 Drayth

Rhialto wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 22:14:
Drayth wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 14:06:
I'm with you on 3D, but fyi this is the first year that NO models of TV's have 3D support. You can still get '16 models and older with it, but 17 has none. Also there's no curved TV's this year.
Wrong, FYI Panasonic offer 3D, look at the EX750 models.

Huh... there were a few of these articles at the beginning of the year.
http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-tv-is-dead-2017-1

Can't trust anything you read these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 23:13 Rhialto

Warren Nielsen wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 22:51:
That is the only problem with 3D: small screens. Try it on a decent sized screen, or pull a chair up close to your smaller screen and give it another chance.
Too close and I start to see pixels, I don't want this. But I know what you mean.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 22:51 Warren Nielsen

Rhialto wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 22:14:
I'm with you on 3D, but fyi this is the first year that NO models of TV's have 3D support. You can still get '16 models and older with it, but 17 has none. Also there's no curved TV's this year.

Also, almost every decent projector offers 3D. I almost exclusively watch movies in 3D on my projector. Sitting 6 feet from my 120" screen, Guardians of the Galaxy is amazing in 3D. Most people sit 10 feet from a 55" screen. That is the only problem with 3D: small screens. Try it on a decent sized screen, or pull a chair up close to your smaller screen and give it another chance.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 22:14 Rhialto

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 20:21 TheEmissary

Its the software that wins the hardware wars. You can have the best hardware around but if there is no software/content for it then its next to useless. How Bluray end up winning as the HD optical disc format was getting enough media companies to distribute using that format.

I think the HDR wars will sort themselves out eventually when most of the displays are true 10bit per channel or 30bit Color (1.07 Billion Colors). HDR then could be adjusted through the TVs post processing. Or it could be like Audio encoding standards (dolby/dts) where every device now supports the main ones.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2017, 20:32.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 16:20 Drayth

Fortunately, you probably won’t need to buy a new TV to take advantage of HDR10+ — the new standard is already supported on all of Samsung’s 2017 UHD sets, and will be rolling out to the company’s 2016 line via a firmware update later this year, meaning that other companies looking to support it should (in theory) be able to add it fairly easily.

There's that at least. I have a '16 model. I'd rather see the HDR10 formats take off since they're an open standard.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 14:06 Drayth

Rhialto wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 12:21:
At least 3D died.
Yep, I really like 3D and ready to defend. I play almost all my games in 3D, can't go back. Of course some titles are only available in 2D like just last week, I finished INSIDE which I recommend!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2017, 13:41 descender

It's the most superior, and more importantly has the most traction.

DV had the most traction until the biggest panel manufacturer just signed on with a giant content provider to offer their own version of HDR. Samsung may have literally just won HDR with this move, this is exactly how products like BetaMax and HDDVD lost the war.

This is exactly why you never buy-in to tech like this until the dust settles and the actual content exists.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 12:44 Slick

INSIDE is pretty amazing, that last act... stuck with me. I recommend checking out the reddit forums with people talking about the meaning of the game, the ending etc. it's quite philosophical, all about control. Amazing to have such a deep narrative without one word of dialogue or text.

Anyways,

a 5th HDR format? Jesus. Let's just all get on Dolby Vision, and pay their dumb royalty fees and get on with it. It's the most superior, and more importantly has the most traction.

As if people buying new TV didn't already have to contend with:

1) Almost no 4k content

2) even less HDR content

3) even less than that HDR content on whatever format their particular TV supports.

fuck off. DV FTW.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 12:21 Rhialto

At least 3D died.
What is that silly comment? It's weakier but still alive. I know there are less TV sets offering the 3D option but with movies in theaters still showing up in 3D then later in 3D Blu-Ray I guess they still need to offer such TV sets.

Yep, I really like 3D and ready to defend. I play almost all my games in 3D, can't go back. Of course some titles are only available in 2D like just last week, I finished INSIDE which I recommend!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo