Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Prey Trailer

This article on Bethesda.net offers a new trailer from Prey with a guided tour of Talos I, the space station that will be home to most of the action in next month's return of the shooter series. Here's word on the video and an associated promotion giving away the chance to attend space camp (which is not actually in space):

In Prey, the aliens have escaped containment and taken over Talos I, but the game isn’t only about fighting the invasion or an epic journey to figure out who you are and how you’ll save humanity from the Typhon threat – it’s also about the space station itself. A shining testament to mankind’s unbridled ambitions, Talos I is full of secrets to discover and poses a unique threat all by itself. Take a tour of Talos I and get an inside look at the space station our latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTN0iD8KB8.

From the grandiose lobby to the industrial inner workings of the space station, Talos I holds something different around every turn. Early on, the entire station opens up for you to explore in almost any manner you like. As Morgan Yu, move freely throughout Talos I, and even return to previously explored areas to find big changes depending on how the story unfolds – or what actions the you’ve taken. You will also be able to go outside of the space station and fly around in zero gravity, using the exterior to navigate to a different area or to find additional secrets hidden outside Talos I. Be sure to check out Bethesda.net for even more insights from the team at Arkane Studios.

Also, we’ve teamed up with GameStop for the ‘Talos I Recruitment Sweepstakes’ where one lucky fan will win a grand prize trip to Space Camp along with a 4K Entertainment Center including a 65” TV, Home Theater Speaker System and Prey Custom Console. The sweepstakes run through Thursday, May 25th and are free to enter at: www.TranStarAwaits.com. You can check out the full sweepstakes rules and eligibility along with additional prizing here.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 21, 2017, 23:54 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 03:02:
The way I see it is this...the reason people are so...meh...on this game is that it really hasn't been explained to us. Who's the protagonist? Who's the antagonist? Why? Why here? What makes this station so important? They've given us small tidbits but they're expecting us to find out everything within the game, which is fine for an established IP and series, but not really for a new one. Take a look at Alien: Isolation, which I've been getting major vibes from when I see anything to do with Prey. I kinda overdosed on A:O backstory and 'lore', especially about the setting itself. So when we get another space station being invaded by nasty ol' aliens, I'm just kinda like...huh. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. And before A:O, we had Dead Space (especially 2), before that, System Shock 2 (though not technically on a station). So at this point a game about fighting bad guys on an abandoned space station is getting a little stale unless the devs come up with a good reason why we should care. Is this whole 'Mimic' thing a reason? I can't really tell, to be honest. I haven't seen enough of it. I don't know enough about the setting or the bad guys. With A:O, you know the setting, you know the alien. With Dead Space 2, you knew the bad guys, the space station, while pretty to look at, was really just background window dressing. Here, we know nothing. So after a Conga-line of similar titles, how can one be expected to be excited about another one without knowing why?

Figuring out these things is kind of a big part of the game, I assume. Just like in the original Dead Space or System Shock. I've avoided almost all of the story trailers because discovering these things is part of what makes the story interesting.

Also, "Conga-line" is a big of an exaggeration. There are relatively few AAA games that take place on space stations.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 21:39 JohnQP

Deport the interlopers!  

18. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 20:45 Sempai

Squirmer wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 02:36:
Being miserable on the internet is a fun game for some people.

You ain't a kiddin.

There are some entitled snowflakes stomping their little feet around here these days.

17. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 20:37 JohnQP

Burrito, anyone who reads Marvel comics knows that extra mass comes from/is sent to an alternate dimension when a creature grows/shrinks.

DUH. Educate yourself man, it's embarrassing.

16. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 13:25 MajorD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 07:59:
All the whining aside, I couldn't put my finger on what bugged me a bit about this game until this trailer.

You have Generic Scientist A holding a coffee cup while talking to Generic Scientist B. Generic Scientist A's coffee cup suddenly morphs itself in to an alien that attacks and, presumably, kills him.

The killing part doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that there's no way that alien could mimic the coffee cup without the cup itself becoming incredibly heavy. Assuming the alien has mass, the density would become unreal when packing it down from something that looks about 3' tall and 2.75' wide (from extremity to extremity) down to the size of that cup.

The other option is that the alien creature has very little mass so that the density wouldn't significantly change. That, too, provides a problem because then your projectile based weapons with the apparently high muzzle velocity would rip them to shreds in very short order. Even the average strength of the human hand and arm would be able to pull them off of you, wad them in to a ball, keep them there, and then blow them out the airlock.

I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but either way I got a good chuckle out of your post.

Still counting...

15. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 09:42 RedEye9

NamecaF wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 23:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 20:41:
It's cool that they are going to release a demo.

Yeah, if you own a console. No love for PC though.
Well that's lame.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

14. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 09:31 Agent-Zero

ViRGE wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 00:50:
But it is a bit of a clever move on their part. Sequels tend to sell better, presumably because everyone thinks that if it's getting a sequel, the original must have been good, and of course the sequel will be better. So they're just outright calling the first game in the new series a sequel...

They are doing that with TV shows now as well.. there is a "Training Day" show and also a "Taken" show... both of them have almost nothing to do with the original movies, except some very loose connections

they are just riding on the coatails of previous success.. im assuming its a legacy of all this "REBOOT!! REBOOT!!" frenzy that hollywood is going thru since nobody can be bothered to come up with an original idea anymore

13. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 07:59 Burrito of Peace

All the whining aside, I couldn't put my finger on what bugged me a bit about this game until this trailer.

You have Generic Scientist A holding a coffee cup while talking to Generic Scientist B. Generic Scientist A's coffee cup suddenly morphs itself in to an alien that attacks and, presumably, kills him.

The killing part doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that there's no way that alien could mimic the coffee cup without the cup itself becoming incredibly heavy. Assuming the alien has mass, the density would become unreal when packing it down from something that looks about 3' tall and 2.75' wide (from extremity to extremity) down to the size of that cup.

The other option is that the alien creature has very little mass so that the density wouldn't significantly change. That, too, provides a problem because then your projectile based weapons with the apparently high muzzle velocity would rip them to shreds in very short order. Even the average strength of the human hand and arm would be able to pull them off of you, wad them in to a ball, keep them there, and then blow them out the airlock.

12. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 07:28 Quinn

I'm surprised that nobody has yet realized the obvious why this game looks like a giant MEH.
It's because of the variety in enemies, or lack thereof. In every fucking trailer all I'm seeing is turrets and blobby shadows. No shit this game looks boring as fuck.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

11. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 03:15 Dash

Rigs wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 03:02:
The way I see it is this...the reason people are so...meh...on this game is that it really hasn't been explained to us. Who's the protagonist? Who's the antagonist? Why? Why here? What makes this station so important? They've given us small tidbits but they're expecting us to find out everything within the game, which is fine for an established IP and series, but not really for a new one. Take a look at Alien: Isolation, which I've been getting major vibes from when I see anything to do with Prey. I kinda overdosed on A:O backstory and 'lore', especially about the setting itself. So when we get another space station being invaded by nasty ol' aliens, I'm just kinda like...huh. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. And before A:O, we had Dead Space (especially 2), before that, System Shock 2 (though not technically on a station). So at this point a game about fighting bad guys on an abandoned space station is getting a little stale unless the devs come up with a good reason why we should care. Is this whole 'Mimic' thing a reason? I can't really tell, to be honest. I haven't seen enough of it. I don't know enough about the setting or the bad guys. With A:O, you know the setting, you know the alien. With Dead Space 2, you knew the bad guys, the space station, while pretty to look at, was really just background window dressing. Here, we know nothing. So after a Conga-line of similar titles, how can one be expected to be excited about another one without knowing why?

And there it is. Yes, I'm more interested in the Prey storyline from the original game. The original series felt like something new, and not 'Aliens in the ductworks oh noes' all over again. The reluctance to go with this new game, is more to I wanted to see a continuation of that universe, as opposed to starting a whole new one with the original name.

And since when is expressing a concern 'whining'? We've seen PLENTY of games that over-hyped, and end up not living up to it, where as we have a bunch of indie games that get relatively little adverts, and end up being crack. [I'm looking at you, Binding of Issac -.- 300 hours of my life to that digital addiction..]

Gah... Never can remember how to use the code for this stuff.

10. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 03:02 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

*Note this post might be tad bit disjointed as I'm half asleep but I think I got my point across...maybe...

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...

9. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 02:36 Squirmer

Being miserable on the internet is a fun game for some people.  

8. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 01:39 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 01:15:
Dash wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 00:42:
They're pushing this extra hard, which doesn't give me any good feelings on this game.

You have a bad feeling about a game because its publisher is actually marketing it? Or are you just fixated on the name and can't judge the game based on its own merits?

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty over all the politics. Did Prey 2 look cool? Sure. Did Bethesda cancel it for bullshit reasons? Probably. Does this new Prey have anything to do with the original game? Nope. Do any of these things have any impact on the quality of the game itself? Nope. From what I've seen, this game looks to have tons of potential and may be the System Shock 2 spiritual successor we've been waiting for.

People really need to stop fixating on politics and just judge games on their own merits.

ItBurn wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 20:13:
The amount of Prey spam that I get from Bethesda is unprecedented. Neither Skyrim or Fallout 4 came close to the amount of posts about Prey that I see. I'm not sure I understand why.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout are much, much bigger IPs than Prey ever was. Hell, most people have never played or even heard of the original Prey. This is essentially a new IP, which is why Bethesda is promoting it so hard.

Isn't it amazing how much more fun games are when you hit this point? Instead of spending time on the Internet whining about how wronged you are for things that don't impact you in any way, you can focus on playing what's good and worth your time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 01:15 Jerykk

They're pushing this extra hard, which doesn't give me any good feelings on this game.

You have a bad feeling about a game because its publisher is actually marketing it? Or are you just fixated on the name and can't judge the game based on its own merits?

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty over all the politics. Did Prey 2 look cool? Sure. Did Bethesda cancel it for bullshit reasons? Probably. Does this new Prey have anything to do with the original game? Nope. Do any of these things have any impact on the quality of the game itself? Nope. From what I've seen, this game looks to have tons of potential and may be the System Shock 2 spiritual successor we've been waiting for.

People really need to stop fixating on politics and just judge games on their own merits.

ItBurn wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 20:13:
The amount of Prey spam that I get from Bethesda is unprecedented. Neither Skyrim or Fallout 4 came close to the amount of posts about Prey that I see. I'm not sure I understand why.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout are much, much bigger IPs than Prey ever was. Hell, most people have never played or even heard of the original Prey. This is essentially a new IP, which is why Bethesda is promoting it so hard.

6. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 00:50 ViRGE

They're pushing this extra hard, which doesn't give me any good feelings on this game. I already had annoyances that they took an IP I enjoyed playing [The actual Prey game. Man those pewter figurines are cool. Need to paint them one day...] and teased us with the Prey 2 trailer, and then dropped that ball for yet another 'System Shock-inspired' clone. Yes. I like those kind of games.. but stop pulling a bait-n-switch, Bethesda. Should have named this one 'Mimic' or something.
At this point I've given up begrudging Bethesda on this. It's going to happen regardless.

But it is a bit of a clever move on their part. Sequels tend to sell better, presumably because everyone thinks that if it's getting a sequel, the original must have been good, and of course the sequel will be better. So they're just outright calling the first game in the new series a sequel...

Anyhow, I like the art and setup; they obviously put a lot of resources into this. But it's not holding my attention - at this point I'm indifferent - and honestly I can't figure out why. Name shenanigans aside, this game just doesn't seem all that interesting?

5. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 00:42 Dash

They're pushing this extra hard, which doesn't give me any good feelings on this game. I already had annoyances that they took an IP I enjoyed playing [The actual Prey game. Man those pewter figurines are cool. Need to paint them one day...] and teased us with the Prey 2 trailer, and then dropped that ball for yet another 'System Shock-inspired' clone. Yes. I like those kind of games.. but stop pulling a bait-n-switch, Bethesda. Should have named this one 'Mimic' or something.  

4. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 19, 2017, 23:31 NamecaF

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 20:41:

Yeah, if you own a console. No love for PC though. Fuck 'em.

3. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 19, 2017, 22:25 CJ_Parker

Garbage. If they make a game like this (immersive story-driven horror survival blahblah FPS like System-/BioShock) extra care should be taken that the UI is as unintrusive as possible. Here, the UI is extremely intrusive and you get pop-up text spam galore even when entering/changing areas and when a flea farts anywhere near you.
It also looks extremely sterile and totally unrealistic with its super-shiny clean look.

<$10 sale IF the (user) reviews are decent enough

2. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 19, 2017, 20:41 RedEye9

Some of the visuals remind me of Bioshock.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

1. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 19, 2017, 20:13 ItBurn

The amount of Prey spam that I get from Bethesda is unprecedented. Neither Skyrim or Fallout 4 came close to the amount of posts about Prey that I see. I'm not sure I understand why. Also, the game looks so mediocre and most people who played it seemed to agree. I've started playing Dishonored 2 and it's also pretty mediocre so far; it just can't hook me for some reason. It's sad because that studio has amazing talent. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was simply amazing. Time will tell with Prey, but I've got enough years of experience in this industry to keep my hopes low.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo