Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 23:43 NetHead

Cyant wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 16:17:
You got it backward, the NEW cpu (Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen...) are "not supported" in windows 7 to 8.1 ... Not the old ones... This patch enable user with newer CPU's to receives windows updates with the old OS.

Oh yes sorry, my silliness there (I actually knew that but was clearly spamming out text without thinking through that example). Though the point is I still wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft does something to cause problems using the newer CPUs on older Windows systems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 16:17 Cyant

NetHead wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 12:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 10:53:
Microsoft should hire "User".

I'm pretty sure you're being snide, I hope so lol.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the future updates to something makes a MicrosoftApp.exe (maybe they'll be blatant and make it a system .dll) go out of it's way to specifically and arbitrarily use an instruction unsupported by older CPUs causing a crash on older systems.

Then they'll basically go "See this is why we aren't supporting those old CPUs, it was for your own good.", while pretending far more advanced and intensive software that runs just fine on those "older" CPUs seemingly due to a combination of voodoo, magic and bottled dark matter, doesn't exist.

Seems "WinTel" is alive an well.

You got it backward, the NEW cpu (Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen...) are "not supported" in windows 7 to 8.1 ... Not the old ones... This patch enable user with newer CPU's to receives windows updates with the old OS.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 13:37 RedEye9

NetHead wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 12:59:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the future updates to something makes a MicrosoftApp.exe (maybe they'll be blatant and make it a system .dll) go out of it's way to specifically and arbitrarily use an instruction unsupported by older CPUs causing a crash on older systems.

Then they'll basically go "See this is why we aren't supporting those old CPUs, it was for your own good.", while pretending far more advanced and intensive software that runs just fine on those "older" CPUs seemingly due to a combination of voodoo, magic and bottled dark matter, doesn't exist.

Sigh, poor "User" will just be out of a job.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 12:59 NetHead

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 11:32 ItBurn

Microsoft, please close down.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 10:53 RedEye9

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo