Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month

This post on Steam has word that Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar has received a greenlight on Steam, once again raising the question of whether the proper term is Greenlit or Greenlighted (thanks Acleacius). Word is: "3640+ YES VOTES, #28TH PLACE IN TOP 100 FINAL TALLY! Pretty good for the game that never stood a chance. " This post (which gives the impression they are paying by the word) says to expect this "ultimate classic style turn-based fantasy roleplaying game" on Memorial Day, May 29th. Here's what to expect from two decades of development:

After more than 20 years of development, the greatest roleplaying game of them all is finally ready for release! Grimoire is an homage to the classic dungeon blobbers and is inspired by Wizardry, Might & Magic, Lands of Lore, Anvil of Dawn, DungeonMaster and the Eye of the Beholder games!

• 600 hours of play possible in a single game
  • Lush Colorful 2D Hand Drawn Artwork
  • Retro style MIDI music and 8 bit sound effects
  • 244+ Maps in the game to explore!
  • Turn-Based strategic combat
  • Multiple Beginnings, Multiple Endings
  • 144 context sensitive magic spells
  • 14 races, 15 professions, 50 skills
  • 64 intelligent NPCs with 8000+ Words in Vocabulary
  • Full Sentence Communication with NPCs
  • 240+ monsters each with special powers and defenses
  • 1000+ items, Carry Containers, Global Party Inventory
  • 30 conditions, from Confusion to Disease & Lycanthropy
  • Automapping, Autowalking, Autohealing
  • Global Map Atlas With Position Marker
  • Quest Journal, Hint Prompting, Help Facility, Mini-Quests
  • Complex LockPicking Interfaces for Doors & Chests
  • Challenging Puzzles and Rich Interactive Dungeons
  • Browsable Character Library for up to 100 characters
  • Up to 12 Commented Postage Stamped Savegames
  • Multi-themed GUI and customizable screen layouts

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 19, 2017, 15:45 Rigs

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 16:57:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 06:23:
Well, at 600 hours of gameplay, you could rest assured not only would she be not wrapping her Camaro around a telephone pole, but also that she'd be not out getting pregnant. Win-win.

Some people want to have grand children sooner though.. Just gotta be willing to take care of the babies more.

Yeah, uh no, she's not having kids at 19...she's, thankfully, mostly concerned with college and working. I'm not keen at being a grandfather at 40. I was already a father at 18, we don't need to rush it. She's got a good head on her shoulders, she knows that her future is more important and that she has plenty of time to worry about those other things. My only wish is that a lot of her girl friends her age had the same attitude and outlook. Most of them are more concerned about finding a rich daddy for their future brood than worrying about how they're going to provide for it. (Most 'rich daddies' tend to take off at the first hint of any kind of commitment)

Just don't let her see Skyrim Enhanced Edition before she plays this.

Surprisingly enough, for all her RPG-craziness, she despises Skyrim. She just can't stand it. Not sure why. She's not crazy about Fallout either. It could be she's more skewed to CRPG's like Kingdom Hearts (her fav) than straight, traditional RPG's. But then, I've seen her spend much time with Witcher3 soooo...beats the shit outta me...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 19, 2017, 01:25 saluk

I think I remember hearing something about this about 10 years ago, in an article on a number of these games that were in development at the time. Grimrock was there too (and it had been in development almost as long!)

Unfortunately, this looks... really bad. Not only the interface and the graphics, but there is such a thing as too big. It feels excessive and bloated. The combat is far too slow. I really don't need to try and keep track of 8 party members. All the items looks the same so you have to inspect each one to see what it really is. The writing is super cheesy, and I'd imagine there is a lot of it.

27. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 16:57 Tipsy McStagger

Well, at 600 hours of gameplay, you could rest assured not only would she be not wrapping her Camaro around a telephone pole, but also that she'd be not out getting pregnant. Win-win.

Some people want to have grand children sooner though.. Just gotta be willing to take care of the babies more.

26. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 11:12 El Pit

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 04:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 18:31:
... has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998...

That's what I call "thorough and deep" beta testing.

Exactly. Games like Grimoire and Star Citizen are breaking new ground, so they take a while longer till release...

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

25. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 06:23 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 22:57:
Blakemore has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998: If you'd had a baby the same day you played the beta, she would now be pestering you for the keys to the car.

My daughter was born in November of 1997, she's not only gotten her license and keys to her car, she's already rolled it and now working two jobs to get it fixed. Now that she's gotten beyond her 'wrap the Camaro around a telephone pole' right-of-passage without getting herself killed, she'll probably be interested in this game. She's a major RPG nut...

=-Rigs-=

Well, at 600 hours of gameplay, you could rest assured not only would she be not wrapping her Camaro around a telephone pole, but also that she'd be not out getting pregnant. Win-win. Just don't let her see Skyrim Enhanced Edition before she plays this.

Stay a while, and listen.

24. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 06:20 jdreyer

rawbelly wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 22:16:
I watched the youtube video thinking there was going to be a joke. But it wasn't. It's a real game. I didn't know what to think.

*Reaches down, takes ball and goes home.

I'm just curious if you've been paying attention to gaming over the past 5 years. Retro games have been extremely popular selling millions of copies and receiving tons of accolades: Terraria, Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, FTL, Hotline Miami, Retro City Rampage, Fez, Gunpoint, Spelunky, BroForce, TowerFall, Legend of Grimrock, Hammerwatch, etc. etc. One of the great things about these games is that not only are their graphics and gameplay old school, but their business model is as well:
1) They're complete, whole, finished, standalone games.
2) They're moddable
3) No microtransactions, paywalls, or bullshit free-to-play financing models
4) They can contain levels of innovation not found in AAA games.

Any one of the aforementioned games could have easily come out for PC in the mid-90s. Yet here we are.

23. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 04:29 Lord Tea

... has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998...

That's what I call "thorough and deep" beta testing.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

22. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 18, 2017, 02:51 DangerDog

Soundtrack available wherever 8-track tapes and vinyl records are sold.

I'd probably be into a game like this if it were sci-fi.

21. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 22:57 Rigs

Blakemore has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998: If you'd had a baby the same day you played the beta, she would now be pestering you for the keys to the car.

My daughter was born in November of 1997, she's not only gotten her license and keys to her car, she's already rolled it and now working two jobs to get it fixed. Now that she's gotten beyond her 'wrap the Camaro around a telephone pole' right-of-passage without getting herself killed, she'll probably be interested in this game. She's a major RPG nut...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...

20. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 22:16 rawbelly

I watched the youtube video thinking there was going to be a joke. But it wasn't. It's a real game. I didn't know what to think.

*Reaches down, takes ball and goes home.

19. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 21:42 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 18:56:
Well, the only reason this shit is coming out now is the announced changes to Greenlight. Blakemore knows that he won't ever be able to sell this turd again once Steam gets more serious about turd invasions on their store. That's why Blakemore is squeezing out this turd just in time before the toilet shuts down.
It may not be your style but it looks like a complex RPG with robust sets of characters, mechanics, environments, and enemies. I have no doubt that the impending change to Greenlight had nothing to do with the timing. Nor do I doubt this would have ended up on Steam regardless.

18. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 19:13 Sacrifice

I have mixed feelings about this. As an older RPG gamer, I want to appreciate the classic style and gameplay. I loved Grimrock.

That being said, user interfaces have improved over the years for good reason. Grimoire just seems too busy with the actual zone taking up only a quarter of the screen.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

17. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 18:56 CJ_Parker

Well, the only reason this shit is coming out now is the announced changes to Greenlight. Blakemore knows that he won't ever be able to sell this turd again once Steam gets more serious about turd invasions on their store. That's why Blakemore is squeezing out this turd just in time before the toilet shuts down.  

16. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 18:31 RedEye9

pc gamer circa 2014Blakemore has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998: If you'd had a baby the same day you played the beta, she would now be pestering you for the keys to the car.  

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2017, 18:26 Burrito of Peace

When I read "DungeonMaster" my interest piqued, but then I watched the Youtube video. Pass. That's "Dungeon Master II" level of quality.

Legends of Grimrock is still the undisputed king of old school RPGs in that style to me.

14. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 18:24 eRe4s3r

Someone invented a time machine, that is the only explanation...  

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2017, 18:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, based on some minor googling, Blakemore seems to be literally insane. A doomsday racist? Also this game seems like it'd have to have come out 20 years ago for people to put up with the Wolfenstein 3d-ish engine.

Of course, the current political/social climate being what it is, I'm sure he'll be reasonably successful.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2017, 17:17 Scottish Martial Arts

noman wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 15:24:
I think it's Blakemore's game.

Yup, it's Cleve's game, Cleve of underground bunker in Australia and armed vigilante during the Los Angeles Rodney King Riots fame.

Seriously, anyone who isn't familiar with the internet legend Cleveland Mark Blakemore, needs to look him up now. After all, ITZ COMING!!!

11. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 15:47 HorrorScope

I think the market would have been much more ripe if this only took 13 years. Man, I wonder what language he wrote this in and think of how more efficient this could have been, if done with a modern development tool.  

10. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 15:24 noman

Zanderat1 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 12:32:
Wait. This is Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire? Still not sure that it is not vaporware.

I think it's Blakemore's game. 20 years of development sounds about right and then the claim that it's the "greatest roleplaying game of them all" is exactly what CB would say. Good for him, that he's finally close to releasing the game.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo