Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap

Roberts Space Industries announces the Spring 2947 Free Fly is now underway for Star Citizen, the controversial space shooter in the works at Cloud Imperium Games. This gives everyone the chance to fly one of the game's ships all weekend. Also, a new Monthly Studio Report on the Roberts Space Industries website is the latest extremely wordy update on the game, getting detailed reports from various development subdivisions on their progress. And they also offer a Production Schedule Report that lays out plans to get the game up to the alpha 3.0 stage, so we're still a ways off from the beta stage. They also offer a video called Building a Schedule for a Universe, something they haven't excelled at with this project that was originally slated to come out in 2014. GameSpot has a story about this with a quote on the topic from Chris Roberts that we can't find ourselves: "No one has ever attempted to build a game as ambitious as Star Citizen and I doubt any publisher would have the patience or stamina that it requires to build something that breaks molds the way Star Citizen does." Finally, they are running a Spring Star Ship Sale, selling ships for the work-in-progress game, cheekily noting the ships are "in stock," a reassurance that they haven't yet run out of bits or pixels.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 18, 2017, 11:31 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 02:59:
You'd think SQ42 would be a lot more straight forward, since there's less of this pie-in-the-sky technology.
Indeed. That eliminates networking, which is the biggest hurdle for Star Citizen at the moment. But they don't even have the female character finished, Vulkan support and anti-aliasing are missing and AI NPCs are way behind schedule. We'll likely see it revealed properly this year but it won't be released until 2018 at the earliest.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 03:03:
In defense of Star Citizen, you could actually buy all the ships for ten thousand.
That doesn't include the Javelin, which costs $2,500 alone. It's also missing the entire Hull range (top model is $550), the Prospector ($140), Razor ($135), Polaris ($750), Prowler ($425) and many more.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 05:04 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 03:23:
6) Let's take a look under which administrations the economy thrives, thus providing govt revenue to prevent deficits: Oh, look, it's Democratic administrations. Funny that.

I take issue with this one point. I always felt (and still do) that most of the 90's thriving economy wasn't the result of Clinton's Presidency. I really don't think his actions did anything more than not screwing up whatever was happening to begin with. No, instead I think most of it had to do with Reagan's policies finally coming to fruition (I don't think Bush Sr. changed much in his four years to deter his predecessors influence) and the continuation of the technology boom that started in the early 80's, entering the Internet-age. These two things are what setup the 90's to be so 'incident-free'. I think Clinton took a lot of credit for what Reagan put into motion a decade before. And even with all this, he still couldn't keep the government from shutting down every few months!

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

41. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 03:23 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 08:18:
Blah, blah, blah

Just a few things.

1) You paid cash for your house? Or did you deficit spend?

2) You blame Obama, but the Repubs have been in control of congress the past six years, and currently have full control of the govt.

3) The congress also passes the budget, not Obama. They take the lion's share of the blame for budget deficits. And they've been Repub the last six years.

4) Of course last year will be the most tax receipts ever. That's the case every year because every year the population increases, the economy gets bigger, and inflation pushes up how much is collected vs. the previous year. DUH.

5) Taxes are actually what prevent deficits. Repubs love cutting taxes, but never cut services: SS, Medicare, defense. If you hate deficits, you need to love taxes.

6) Let's take a look under which administrations the economy thrives, thus providing govt revenue to prevent deficits: Oh, look, it's Democratic administrations. Funny that.

Seriously, educate yourself before opening your pie hole.

Also, there's a place where Republicans dominate the govt and cut taxes and services to the bone. It's called Kansas, and it's a hellhole. You should move there. You'd love it.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

40. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 03:03 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 14:19:
sir wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 14:19:
Ben Kenobi: We'll pay you two thousand now, plus fifteen when we reach Alderaan.
Chris Roberts: Seventeen? [Ben nods] Okay, you guys got yourselves a ship. We'll be ready when you are. Docking Bay 94.

/Exit Kenobi & Skywalker

Chris Roberts: Seventeen Thousand! Those guys must really be desperate. Chewie, get back to the ship and prepare the hype drive. Go draw some pictures of pretty spaceships!

I fixed that.

Also, in the same mold.

Han: "Ten thousand. All in advance."
Luke: "Ten thousand?! I could almost buy a ship in Star Citizen for that!"

In defense of Star Citizen, you could actually buy all the ships for ten thousand.

39. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 02:59 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 13:49:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 19:00:
Yeah, my son was bugging me to DL 2.6.3, but I convinced him to wait until 3.0 comes out.
Yeah, 2.6.3 brings nothing to the table. Performance in the PU is still terrible and everything else is pretty much the same.

As for 3.0, despite a lot of the features being cut I'm still looking forward to it. As long as they eliminate the networking bottleneck and it can hit 60fps it'll be a major release. The delays are disappointing but to be expected at this point.

I think the real question is what state Squadron 42 is in, as that was meant to be showed off last year and we haven't heard anything about it. I can't see it being released until the end of 2018 at the earliest, with footage likely being shown at CitizenCon this year.

You'd think SQ42 would be a lot more straight forward, since there's less of this pie-in-the-sky technology.

38. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 02:49 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 04:51:

Musk brought a couple of rockets up into space, releasing its payloads, and even landing back on earth again. Sounds a bit beyond eternal alpha to me.

I brought my rocket into my wife's space, releasing its payload, then I landed back on earth again. I even relaunched the next day, without boosters. Despite all that, she said I'd be "her alpha forever."

37. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 19:49 sir

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the armchair RSI financial critics and prognosticators of Star Citizen doom & gloom would apply the same hypercritical yardstick to the runaway US federal government in terms of the long-running deficit-spending con it's been running on the American people for the last 50 years (at least)? Hallelujah!...;) You bet it would be a refreshing change!

I might be tempted to do that Walt, but for two things:

1. I come here to read about, and discuss, video games.
2. I'm not American, so US fiscal policy doesn't really interest me at all.

36. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 19:30 Rigs

Dacote wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 10:28:
Rigs wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 08:40:
Political fluff snipped
Even more political fluff snipped.

=-Rigs-=
Ugh

Really? You must be joking...or trolling...and given your past posts, I'm going with the latter...

Kxmode wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 16:40:
The feeling is mutual.

Indeed.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

35. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 16, 2017, 16:40 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 10:28:
Political fluff snipped
=-Rigs-=
Ugh

The feeling is mutual.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

34. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 16:14 JohnQP

OT: I finally got my hands on a copy of Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain that works. Holy SHIT, this game starts with an hour and a half long cutscene. With five minutes of gameplay in there to make sure you don't cheat. I've heard a lot about Kojima being a genius. He's certainly an arrogant cocksucker.

P.S., not exaggerating about the hour and a half thing. The first "mission" ends and you get a stat on mission time, puts you at an hour. Then the second movie, er, mission starts, and there's more interminable droning from the cutscenes. Of course the mission timer feature doesn't show up until later, so I have to guess how long this part was, but it's seriously like an hour and a half, all told, before the actual game starts. Unfrickinbelievable.

33. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 14:19 Creston

sir wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 14:19:
Ben Kenobi: We'll pay you two thousand now, plus fifteen when we reach Alderaan.
Chris Roberts: Seventeen? [Ben nods] Okay, you guys got yourselves a ship. We'll be ready when you are. Docking Bay 94.

/Exit Kenobi & Skywalker

Chris Roberts: Seventeen Thousand! Those guys must really be desperate. Chewie, get back to the ship and prepare the hype drive. Go draw some pictures of pretty spaceships!

I fixed that.

Also, in the same mold.

Han: "Ten thousand. All in advance."
Luke: "Ten thousand?! I could almost buy a ship in Star Citizen for that!"

32. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 13:49 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 19:00:
Yeah, my son was bugging me to DL 2.6.3, but I convinced him to wait until 3.0 comes out.
Yeah, 2.6.3 brings nothing to the table. Performance in the PU is still terrible and everything else is pretty much the same.

As for 3.0, despite a lot of the features being cut I'm still looking forward to it. As long as they eliminate the networking bottleneck and it can hit 60fps it'll be a major release. The delays are disappointing but to be expected at this point.

I think the real question is what state Squadron 42 is in, as that was meant to be showed off last year and we haven't heard anything about it. I can't see it being released until the end of 2018 at the earliest, with footage likely being shown at CitizenCon this year.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 11:54 Dacron

loomy wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 23:18:

and if EA or activision tried to make this game, it'd cost more and take longer because they wouldn't be as dedicated. CIG is a purpose-built organization

GTA 5 was made for less money (made, not including advertising) and in 5 years.

Your comparisons are out to lunch. A dedicated, established dev team would have done this sooner, and cheaper. I dont understand how you think building a company as you go along is cheaper/quicker than using established, proven sources with a track record of releasing finished games and not selling partial ones...

And comparing Chris Roberts to Elon Musk to missing dates ? Time to get the blinders off.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

30. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 10:28 Dacote

Political fluff snipped

=-Rigs-=
Ugh

29. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 08:40 Rigs

Political fluff snipped

Ugh...I come here to get away from political crap like that. I could easily jump back onto Facebook for enough political merry-go-round to make me puke. The way I see it is that you aren't going to really ever get the corruption and utter bullshit going on in D.C. out unless you are actually within the system, say as a Senator. Even then, it's like whenever someone goes 'I'm gonna get elected and clean up the system!', they get elected and it's like on the first day, they have to submit to a brainwashing, they totally forget why they were there in the first place. Then they just continue to do whatever everyone else is doing. Maybe it's an alien conspiracy, I dunno. The U.S. government is practically 'too big to fail' at this point. No one person is ever going to change it completely. So complaining about it on the internet is about as useful as throwing eggs against a brick wall (and usually just as messy)...

=-Rigs-=

28. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 08:18 WaltC

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the armchair RSI financial critics and prognosticators of Star Citizen doom & gloom would apply the same hypercritical yardstick to the runaway US federal government in terms of the long-running deficit-spending con it's been running on the American people for the last 50 years (at least)? Hallelujah!...;) You bet it would be a refreshing change!

Just read a piece the other day describing how the US government is now collecting record-breaking tax receipts--the most collected in the history of the country!--and yet (mainly because of insane Democrat-party "policies") even so, the same government manages to keep spending more than it takes in by a hefty margin, each and every year! And we aren't talking the by-comparison trivial ~$75M to $100M *totals* collected to fund Star Citizen so far, either--we are talking hundreds of billions--*trillions*--of dollars in US government spending! After eight years of Odumbo we are pegging the deficit at some $20 trillion dollars...!

Now *that's* a con if ever there was one, because it simply doesn't matter how many times the Democrats raise taxes (many of their taxes are utterly regressive, too!), because Congress would rather die than to give up the power to write bad checks to cover debts they run up in trying to buy the taxpayer's votes with the very same money they collect from those exact same taxpayers...;) It's the El Supremo con; the con of all cons, and I surely do not mean to state that it's only Democrats who are responsible. There are a bunch of disgusting RINOs in Washington who are just as guilty as the crazy Democrats in thinking that a "fiscal exam" is what they get at the doctor's office every year or two, and who think that "monetary policy" is a term used in a Monopoly game.

I'll sum up by pointing out the very obvious and glaring differences between RSI and the US government's "fund raising" *cough-gag-choke*. While RSI's funds are donated 100% on a voluntary basis by individuals who choose to support RSI in the absence of any type of coercion whatsoever, the nation's tax-collection authorities (like the IRS) can and often do actually impound personal property, seize personal assets, and even toss people into prison for refusing to pay the taxes that the unbelievably irresponsible and corrupt government bureaucracies coerce each and every year from US citizens, tax payments literally enforced via the barrel of a gun. While RSI donors may cease supporting Roberts any time they choose and without any repercussions whatever--just try telling the IRS that you've decided to stop funding the government by way of paying your taxes for a few years, or until Congress and the bureaucracies get serious about *managing* the huge sums of money they force out of taxpayers on an ongoing basis! Ha! "Go straight to jail and do not collect $200," etc., will be the only answer you'll get, no question about it. It's fairly amusing to note that RSI, Robert's Space Industries, is an *anagram* for IRS...:D

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

27. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 06:25 Kxmode

sir wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 05:40:
Does anyone have a link to a graph, with decades elapsed on the x-axis and dollars spunked on the y-axis to see if funding is tailing off for this farce?

What CIG only needs to do is dangled a JPG carrot in front of the hungry whales, and they eat it up. The result shows the numbers skewed up thereby making graphs pointless to use. Star Citizen has no logic or reasoning behind it. It's pure emotion and hope.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

26. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 16, 2017, 05:40 sir

Kxmode wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 18:37:
Chris Roberts: "No one has ever attempted to build a game as ambitious as Star Citizen and I doubt any publisher would have the patience or stamina that it requires to build something that breaks molds the way Star Citizen does."

Classic Chris Roberts. He now promises Star Citizen can break molds.

Effectively, he's a calling it a big, wobbly amorphous jelly, without form or function.

Edit: Does anyone have a link to a graph, with decades elapsed on the x-axis and dollars spunked on the y-axis to see if funding is tailing off for this farce?

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2017, 06:01.

25. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 04:51 El Pit

JohnQP wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 20:41:
Serious question: by the time all is said and done, would it have been cheaper to simply colonize space in real life?

when this game is done, it will cost in the ballpark of one pre-spacex medium class rocket, launch and launch services only (no payload cost)

and if EA or activision tried to make this game, it'd cost more and take longer because they wouldn't be as dedicated. CIG is a purpose-built organization

it's CR's fault for setting unrealistic expectations with unrealistic schedules all this time. but elon musk does the same thing. yes they're bad at scheduling, and yes they're doing stuff that's never been done before

Musk brought a couple of rockets up into space, releasing its payloads, and even landing back on earth again. Sounds a bit beyond eternal alpha to me.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

24. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 04:35 VaranDragon

JohnQP wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 20:41:
Serious question: by the time all is said and done, would it have been cheaper to simply colonize space in real life?

when this game is done, it will cost in the ballpark of one pre-spacex medium class rocket, launch and launch services only (no payload cost)

it's CR's fault for setting unrealistic expectations with unrealistic schedules all this time. but elon musk does the same thing. yes they're bad at scheduling, and yes they're doing stuff that's never been done before

Nice rationalisation. One the one hand we have a successful entrepeneur and engineer who is worth billions, who has made leaps and bounds in sustainable engineering, who has made and continues to make huge ammounts of money for himself and his investors, and has products and services to show for it. On the other you have a con man selling gifs for thousands of dollars and telling you that everything is coming along nicely, and will be just dandy in just a month or two. Yeah those two people are very much alike.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo