Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM Retrospective

Doom: To Hell and Back on Shacknews is a long-form look at id Software's DOOM first-person shooter series. This starts with the original 2.5D edition from 1993 to the present and future of the 2016 installment in the series, with a bit on the cancelled DOOM 4 along the way. This includes details about the games and stories from their development, and a bunch quotes from id's Marty Stratton as well as interviews with a prominent members of the game's community.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 16, 2017, 07:32 Quinn

All this talk about DOOM makes me wanna replay the latest one. I fucking loved it.

Note to self: set the music louder than the rest. Up the volume. Light up a cigar.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 19:25 NetHead

ItBurn wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 11:07:
NetHead wrote on Apr 14, 2017:
There's also a 50 minute Doom documentary on Youtube by Noclip..

I don't like the NoClip documentaries. They're not documentaries at all, they're interviews. It's always all positive and a bit of a circle jerk. They just don't get into the interesting questions or the controversial things. The Romero one for example doesn't even mention Daikatana! Absolute failure as a documentary.

I've only watched the Doom one so don't know about that, though it's unfortunately understandable if that's the case. Digging into things that people don't like could make it harder to get future interviews, though I'm not for a moment saying that should stop them from going after controversial or negative things. Even showing how/when someone refuses to answer something is informative.

Them not mentioning Diakatana is any Romero history it a major hole and does make me think less of NoClip content. That would be ridiculous.

10. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 13:58 ItBurn

Nucas wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 13:44:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 13:02:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 12:58:
The Romero one for example doesn't even mention Daikatana! Absolute failure as a documentary.
It does. It mentions it as a failure.

I thought it didn't mention it at all. They didn't get into it at all for sure.

the john romero one was the first in the profile series. it's supposed to be an interview, not a hard hitting documentary where we all jerk off watching danny o'dwyer berate john romero about how lol terrible daikatana was, yet again, 17 years later.

i wanted to hear about the history of id and 3d games and that one delivered, it was really interesting.

I did enjoy the other information, but I wanted to know how it was to work on daikatana and I wanted insight on how things happened. This is much more interesting than learning about the good games we've already all heard a ton about. The only new information I got from this interview was about his life in Ireland. Any way you put it, I think it's a failure when you leave out the part that would be most interesting, the part that we've barely heard anything about.
Edit: another example of documentary making failure is in the Doom one where they don't, or barely, acknowledge that the multiplayer was bad. They act as if multiplayer was as amazing as the single player. There's just no mention of the backlash pre-release. These docs are crowfunded, and I'm glad I didn't pay because I would have paid for documentaries and it's not what I would've gotten.

9. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 13:44 Nucas

ItBurn wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 13:02:
The Romero one for example doesn't even mention Daikatana! Absolute failure as a documentary.

the john romero one was the first in the profile series. it's supposed to be an interview, not a hard hitting documentary where we all jerk off watching danny o'dwyer berate john romero about how lol terrible daikatana was, yet again, 17 years later.

i wanted to hear about the history of id and 3d games and that one delivered, it was really interesting.

8. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 13:02 ItBurn

7. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 12:58 Kajetan

6. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 11:07 ItBurn

NetHead wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 22:12:
Wow that's long, really long.

There's also a 50 minute Doom documentary on Youtube by Noclip, crowd funded video game documentaries.

I don't like the NoClip documentaries. They're not documentaries at all, they're interviews. It's always all positive and a bit of a circle jerk. They just don't get into the interesting questions or the controversial things. The Romero one for example doesn't even mention Daikatana! Absolute failure as a documentary.

5. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 09:04 VaranDragon

Ok, just to get a few things straight. Im reading this, and it's got nothing about Doom1 and Doom2. It is about the Doom reboot. Or rather about the people in charge of iD at the time. If you want to read a glorified circlejerk of epic EGO proportions, and care about CEO types who can't code for shit and are full of self-praise and self-congratulations, then this is the article for you! Im gonna keep sloughing through it, maybe there is some worth to it. Slow day at work...

*update*

Well it does sort of get into Doom1 development finally, only it does so at chapter 5. I wish I knew that an hour ago. Mofos...

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2017, 09:32.

4. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 02:58 VaranDragon

Well, today is promising to be a slow day at work. At least ill have something to read  

3. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 15, 2017, 01:21 ViRGE

39,000 words. It's just under the size requirement for a full-blown novel, making it a Novella.  

2. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 14, 2017, 22:18 Ant

Yep, very long. I only read the classic DOOM parts.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: DOOM Retrospective Apr 14, 2017, 22:12 NetHead

Wow that's long, really long.

There's also a 50 minute Doom documentary on Youtube by Noclip, crowd funded video game documentaries.

Part 1

Part 2

..late night typos..

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2017, 08:05.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo