Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Good Friday, so happy Easter weekend to all celebrants. I won't try to create an advertising-style segue here (nothing makes a Good Friday better than low, low prices!), so on an unrelated note, forum regular Mordecai Walfish (not Slick as I mistakenly wrote at first, apologies!) sent word he has an extra couple of keys for the Quake Champions beta that he'd like to pass along here. This is not an official id Software or Bethesda Softworks promotion, just a gesture from Slick, so here's a thank you to him for his generosity. If you are interested in a key, say so in a comment and we'll pick two randomly and hand these out tomorrow. Offer ends midnight tonight. Not available in Transylvania, Narnia, or the Sea of Tranquility. No purchase necessary, supplies are limited, taxes not included, may cause teeth yellowing, and if you have an erection that lasts for more than four hours, please call your significant other.

Championship Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: SplatPed Evo.
Science: This new solar-powered device can pull water straight from the desert air.
One 60-minute run can add seven hours to your life, scientists say.
Hunter's find leads to discovery of prehistoric sea creature.
Media: We Broke: My Summer Car - Episode 1 (NSFW).
CRITIQUING ALL 30 MLB LOGOS (NSFW).
Feisty Snake Slithers into Internet Cafe. Badger, badger, badger...
Auctions: Win the Three Most Epic Star Wars Experiences Ever.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 12:06 RedEye9

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 11:52:
We should have an update soon hopefully on who the two winners are, in the meantime I just want to remind everyone who uses ad blockers to add BluesNews to their exception list and/or disable them for this site specifically.

Blue has been serving up that fresh un-cut news on a daily basis for 20+ years now, and has never sold out to the dark side of malicious or intrusive/pop-up advertising. If you want to see quality sites like this continue to thrive in the ocean of sell-out mediocrity and clickbait, then show your support by taking this small step.

I'm not affiliated with this site in any way.. just a long time visitor who has seen many quality sites come and go, bought and paid for by media conglomerates and malicious advertisement agencies. Making the internet great again starts with YOU! Builder Bobby Biker Cowboy Crown Computer
And don't forget to use the Amazon Associates links, I bookmarked them for convenience.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 11:52 Mordecai Walfish

We should have an update soon hopefully on who the two winners are, in the meantime I just want to remind everyone who uses ad blockers to add BluesNews to their exception list and/or disable them for this site specifically.

Blue has been serving up that fresh un-cut news on a daily basis for 20+ years now, and has never sold out to the dark side of malicious or intrusive/pop-up advertising. If you want to see quality sites like this continue to thrive in the ocean of sell-out mediocrity and clickbait, then show your support by taking this small step.

I'm not affiliated with this site in any way.. just a long time visitor who has seen many quality sites come and go, bought and paid for by media conglomerates and malicious advertisement agencies. Making the internet great again starts with YOU! Builder Bobby Biker Cowboy Crown Computer

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 09:56 Omni

Wouldn't mind getting a key.

Cheers

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 08:45 Bopper

I'd be interested in a key!  
- Boppa

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 08:45 JohnQP

My sentiments exactly. Then when I explained my objections to TFA, I was told "Maybe Star Wars just isn't for you any longer. Maybe you've outgrown it."

Did you notice how manic both the leads are throughout the movie? Their faces, their movement, their overall behavior? I'm tellin' ya, they're both supposed to be several beers shy of a six pack, it's the obvious subtext to the film. Either that, or the director is nuts, and the movie shows what he thinks normal is like.

As for outgrowing Star Wars, that seems to be a fair question. I've been asking myself the same question about every film since "Return".

I dunno, the device produces 1000 liters of water per year. $150 might be a worthwhile investment, even in poorer countries.

I've had my eye on real-life moisture vaporators for years. Or I did, anyway. The general trend is that they fall apart under scrutiny (or only make sense as money pits for the military). I've got a folder on a hard drive somewhere with news articles about a series of busts over many years.

i recall thinking the criticisms you trotted out of it could easily be applied to the original 1977 film as well. but that's different.

The second trilogy doubled-down on the cheesiest elements (and the blatant ripoff Awakens wasn't exactly redemptive, with its manic ten-year-old-on-a-massive-sugar-rush style). Take lightsabers, for example. It was cool when Obi-Wan busted his out for the first time for Luke. It was cool when he fought the first lightsaber duel, and it was still cool when Luke fought his duels with Vader. But next thing you know, bam, they're everywhere, and they're almost the only weapon Jedis use (WTF?), and everyone's swinging them around way more than they need to, and posing with them more than they need to, and trying to stand out from the pack with dual sabers, double-ended saber staffs, curvy dildo-handled sabers, Skittles rainbow sabers, etc.

Who does a lot of fancy risky show-off spin techniques with a sword that cuts through steel like it cuts through air? Great way to cut your johnson off. Do they teach that show-offy crap in traditional kenjutsu or iaido or whatever? I doubt it. Just once, I want to see some guy in a kimono decapitate himself while showing off with a pink lightsaber.

So I don't think Star Wars just seemed to get more and more juvenile as time went on. I think Star Wars really did get more and more juvenile as time went on. The Ewoks were the turning point.

The best family films keep a balance to the Force, give enough juvenile stuff to keep the kids interested, but they also give the adults something to watch. Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made...

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 07:05 Chang

I'd like to get a quake key.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 05:54 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 00:04:
My sentiments exactly. Then when I explained my objections to TFA, I was told "Maybe Star Wars just isn't for you any longer. Maybe you've outgrown it."

you probably have. i recall the criticisms you trotted out of TFA could just as easily be applied to the original 1977 film as well. but that's different, right? you've got a blind spot for the originals just like a lot of other people and, rather than accepting it, try to steep it all in objective "reasons the movie is bad" (that literally apply directly to a new hope also).

edit: man, lot of names i've never seen before coming out of the woodwork for this. some guy registered in 2000 and only posted 2 times before today.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2017, 21:13.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 04:09 Heymelon

I need more quake in my life!

(yes I'd like a key)

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 03:17 Rhett

Have some oldschool quake buddies who haven't gotten keys yet, and also a friend who somehow never signed up.

But thanks regardless of whoever gets the keys, this is nice.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 03:16 Spektr

Haha does it involve a visit to the Space Marine ranch too?  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 01:32 Niezly Czad

Dunno if the giveaway is still open but if so I'd like that quake champions key!  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 00:22 jdreyer

This new solar-powered device can pull water straight from the desert air.

The setup works so well that it pulls 2.8 liters of water out of the air per day for every kilogram of MOF it contained, the Berkeley and MIT team reports today in Science...

For starters, zirconium costs $150 a kilogram, making water-harvesting devices too expensive to be broadly useful.

I dunno, the device produces 1000 liters of water per year. $150 might be a worthwhile investment, even in poorer countries.

Stay a while, and listen.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 00:08 jdreyer

As for the Quake beta key, ima pass.

I've played a lot of Quake in my day, but not for a while now. Watching the vid of gameplay the other day, it looked cool, and I'd probably tool around with it, but I think that a lot of other people would get more value from it than I would.

* JDreyer goes off to play Hello Kitty Island Adventure *

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 00:04 jdreyer

JohnQP wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 22:13:
Zoopster, good memory (if you'd copy-pasted it would have a "really" in there).

The Force Awakens might've been entertaining; I couldn't tell over all my groaning "OMG, another Empire. Oh no, another Death Star. FFS, another Vader. Han and Chewie just show up? You're kidding me, right? Oh look, now they're sending a desperate fighter wave against the Death Star..."

In the movie's defense, it makes a lot more sense if you regard the two main characters as escaped mental patients. Then it makes almost perfect sense, explains why a cute young girl would need to eke out a subsistence-level existence collecting scrap, the stormtrooper acts like he's shocked to be a stormtrooper, etc.

Rogue One was much better, if a bit joyless.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2017, 23:59 Retired

Add me.

/edit. Sry for short note. Hellabusy holiday night.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2017, 01:24.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2017, 23:51 wampey

Would love a key to Quake Champions! I remember doing quake polls and you reporting on them!  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2017, 23:33 Fingers M

Love to try the beta. Lets all feel old, its been 20 years since I got sucked in to quake world ctf.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2017, 22:47 StaTik

Tossing my name in the hat for this one. Thanks Blue.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2017, 22:37 asmodeos

I'd love a quake champions key!!!

Bluesnews forever man.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2017, 22:16 Mordecai Walfish

Blues News is very much a part of Quake to me, so it is a fitting place to hand out a beta key or two for the newest entry in the series to a couple of you loons. Allthumbsup

Good luck & happy fragging!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo