Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks

A commercial for Star Wars Battlefront II has leaked online after accidentally being revealed through the official EA Twitter account. This was quickly deleted, but EA is not being spared the disaster of people watching a commercial they're not paying to place, as there are copies on places like YouTube (thanks Ars Technica) and Vimeo (thanks PCGamesN). This has some hints about what to expect from the Star Wars action sequel, including indications all three trilogies will be represented, as it shows the original Death Star, Darth Maul, Kylo Ren, and Rey, and promises to take us "across all eras." There's no indication of when an official reveal for this will come, though tomorrow's "Star Wars Celebration" is a pretty good guess, though May 4th is a candidate as well. We shall see.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. removed May 6, 2017, 11:59 free4download

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 6, 2017, 12:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 13:01 Drayth

I just thought you meant making use of the airlock door in general. Didn't realize you meant use it seamlessly. But I'm definitely glad there's no animations for getting in and out of the Nomad. Again, the repetition of that makes it better to just skip animating it.

No comment on the rest. Too verbose a minefield.

47. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 12:38 JohnQP

I just...want a ship with airlocks. That work like airlocks. Escape pods that I could jump into and actually leave the ship in, without a load scene or a cutscene. Even if there's nothing for me to do once I'm out there, lol (actually either wouldn't be as bad, as long as they didn't involve jump cuts. I don't want to just imagine the bit where I got into the pod, I want to see it). A ship that's laid out KINDA like a real ship, instead of devoting tons of precious space to conference rooms and a broom closet to the crew for quarters. Seriously, if I was on that crew, and I saw 75% of the ship given over to what looks like an upscale shopping mall, 20% given to aliens to take over for their quarters, and the last 5% for me and the actual crew, I'd shoot a hole in hull.  

46. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 12:23 JohnQP

I like space opera, and I like Mass Effect, Andromeda very much included (it would be a game worth some serious bragging if the dialog animations were good, and all the characters as well-done as PeeBee (is she the Sally Struthers looking chick from The 100, btw?). But I'd love to see something more toward my preferred part of the spectrum, too. Fuel is a finite resource with real costs, so you never send the ship down to the planet. You park it way out near the edge of the gravity well, and you send a pod in. And it's going to be expensive as Hell to get a pod back out, so you better be making some money by sending it down, or have some other really good reason. Most people travel between planets when they are making a permanent move, not for leisure, unless they're rich. Places with serious gravity wells aside, even so the cost of interplanetary travel is substantial, so you need good reason to move. Profit, or something similarly motivating (and the only stuff worth trading is stuff they can't make down on the planet, and stuff you can't get closer to home). You don't do a lot of maneuvering if you can help it. AIs probably control most aspects of flight. There's a lot more movement between space habitats, where the costs usually don't involve breaking free of those pesky gravity wells. Interstellar travel is almost exclusively a generation ship/permanent colonization thing. Time dilation's real, so you can't just cross the galaxy and come back for dinner at mom's.

I think there's a lot of room, even with the myriad constraints, for some pretty crazy epic sci-fi in there. And if you weave the realism into the game the right way, you can get a lot of immersion points. And there are lots of ways to force hard choices on the player with those constraints.

Globalization's all the rage right now, but all the facts point to a globe being the limit of globalization's potential. Maybe a star system. Other star systems are just too far away to be governed by the same authority, or part of the same integrated system.

45. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 11:54 JohnQP

Things the player has to do repetitively get shortcuted (new word?). Everyone bitched about the elevators in ME 1, and you DID walk through the ship airlock in that one too.

I don't remember any seamless transitions between level and ship in ME1. I'm pretty sure there was a load somewhere, though I wouldn't bet my life on it. But ME1 had an excuse anyway, nowadays we want streaming levels with less loading, and I think we're right to.

I don't buy the repetition thing here. It would be faster to just run in through the door of the ship, if it's already sitting there, than it is to go through a menu and get a loading screen. And be required to move into orbit, too, btw; would it be so bad if I told the ship to take off myself?

Also people who gripe about Star Wars hurting the sci-fi genre, well.. Star Wars is first and foremost fantasy, not science fiction. The setting is more like asking, 'What would happen if the Forgotten Realms developed technology and got around to making space ships?'. You can call it a space opera, sure.. but it kind of stands off to the side from true sci-fi works.

I'm sort of a moderate on the fight between hard sci-fi crowd vs. space opera crowd. Put another way, I have a good bit of tolerance for speculation, as long as it's plausible speculation. The SF I write keeps the "hard" limit of light speed intact, for example, with the exception of stuff like wormholes, and I don't use artificial gravity (except simulated like in 2001 ASO). I find a lot of transhumanist speculation perfectly plausible for sci-fi purposes.

On the other hand, I've done a fair bit of research on the realities facing interplanetary and interstellar travel recently, and I find Mass Effect Andromeda's plot completely absurd compared to reality. E.g., the Tempest goes in and out of orbit and in-between far-flung star systems on a routine basis, right from the start of the game. A start in which 20k people were threatened with starvation, going without adequate subsistence-level electrical service, etc. I hate to break it to you, but plugging the Tempest into the Nexus (with that 20k) would have been a far better idea than traipsing around the Andromeda galaxy; the energy required to send one starship from Earth to a nearby star system is in the same ballpark as the energy consumed on Earth in a year. Escape velocity has extreme energy costs.

But don't get me started on Science Fantasy, lol. I can go on forever about just defining it (My first thought is of combining Sci-Fi and Fantasy RPGs, as you described, but boy do I get something different from Star Wars; my favorite angle is more "how about characters who start out in what we think is a Fantasy setting, but it turns out that all the magic is actually rrrreally sufficiently advanced technology that is only marginally understood by its users?")

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 10:11 Drayth

JohnQP wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 08:40:
This is one of my problems with the entire Mass Effect series; would it have really killed them to have the door of the hero ship be like every other door in the level, where you, gasp, open it, and then walk in? Have characters actually climb in and out of the hero ground vehicle?

Things the player has to do repetitively get shortcuted (new word?). Everyone bitched about the elevators in ME 1, and you DID walk through the ship airlock in that one too.

Also people who gripe about Star Wars hurting the sci-fi genre, well.. Star Wars is first and foremost fantasy, not science fiction. The setting is more like asking, 'What would happen if the Forgotten Realms developed technology and got around to making space ships?'. You can call it a space opera, sure.. but it kind of stands off to the side from true sci-fi works.

No one watching / reading those thinks how great it will be when we have repulsor lifts so we can start having aircraft carriers hovering over cities.

43. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 08:40 JohnQP

The negativity is very often confirmed, especially from us old school gamers, we would love to see games become more complex instead of getting dumbed down.

Nostalgia is a big part of the problem. 1, as people age, their brains "crystallize," and the stuff they loved in their teens and twenties looms large in their gestalt. This is especially evident with music. Just get a boomer talking about his rock n' roll (it doesn't help that he has a point). 2, the further into the past we look, the more we tend to remember the great movies/games/music/whatever, and forget the drek, so the past comes out looking better than it deserves, against the present, where the drek is all very fresh and relevant.

Another big part is the blockbuster effect. Games just keep getting bigger and bigger, like movies did/do (especially as CG took over). Content creation tools don't get more efficient at anywhere near the rate the budgets bloat, so more and more resources are allocated to content creation, and less and less to gameplay (especially since gameplay has a lot of implications for content budgets; put another way: "yeah, you want that gameplay in HD, right?"). This is especially stark when you consider the curve for the ratio of resources dedicated to gameplay vs. content; back in the day you could make a AAA game with a much higher ratio, but the trend has that dropping steadily over time. (I see Drayth beat me to this) Essentially, all the increased budget goes to content-creation.

People who don't like this should strap in for a bumpy ride. We've covered a lot of distance to the Wall of Realism, but there's a long way to go before we're close, probably 15-20 years. Until then, graphics will continue to be one of the big targets of innovation. But as that starts to hit the hard slope of diminishing returns, I suppose the next thing (AI?) will become paramount.

im not a fan of the star wars mythos, but these kinds of games are pretty cool

Yeah it's the old chicken and the egg question; has Star Wars sucked all the atmosphere from the space opera airlock, or would the space opera airlock be a vacuum if not for Star Wars? Cynic in me says it's more latter than former, unfortunately. On the up side, I suppose the alternative could've been a lot worse than Star Wars.

I like Star Wars, but space opera as a genre deserves more.

(no fun allowed for immersion, like walking up to a vehicle and entering cockpit in first person and taking off)

This is one of my problems with the entire Mass Effect series; would it have really killed them to have the door of the hero ship be like every other door in the level, where you, gasp, open it, and then walk in? Have characters actually climb in and out of the hero ground vehicle? I know, you allocate resources where they're going to be most effective. So cut out fetch quests #225-230, and have the animators do some entry/exit animations for the Nomad. And while you're at it, design the thing like it's an actual planetary rover, and meant to be climbed into.

- want to drive AT AT? Too bad, still on rails and you can wait in line to ride on like a rollercoaster. You must be THIS tall to ride.

This is baked into the MMO cake. Huge percentage of players want to be chiefs, too few want to be Indians. It's a big part of why I'm not much on the genre, especially for RPGs or story-driven games.

And theme park is a pretty good analogy for what MMOs are.

Bitch on gamers, keep the industry honest IMO

A sentiment I share. But, I've found all the bitching about Mass Effect Andromeda (PC version, anyway) to have been wrong (though it's possible that it set my expectations for the game so low that I owe my enjoyment of it to them; if so, thanks a lot, guys!). Yes, the facial animations are, on the whole, sub-par. And yes, there are plenty of bugs (especially further on in the game, IME) that should have been squashed in a studio run by grownups and professionals. But it's a very fun game and a step forward for the franchise in every way (assuming the bugs get squashed).

you start off as an imperial officer (female no less) and after the first two missions you transition to the rebel side after finally seeing the light

That makes perfect sense to me. Actually, it would be perfect if she got pregnant and went AWOL after her first taste of combat, then found an HR job in the rebellion.

lol @ more cashgrab movie tie-in casual garbage of galactic bantha poodoo proportions

Like the first game, I might pick up the ultimate edition when it drops below 20 but only if it includes a SP campaign this time.
Too bad all the filthy casuals and console peasants will make sure EA gets 10 million+ $90 average sales price preorders for this shit. There should be more laws against being retarded including euthanasia in resistant cases.*

* any lamer who thinks he's clever by cracking the "joke" that I'd be the first to go, puuuuhhhlease... predictable dumbass "joke" is predictable dumbass "joke", capisce?

So, not funny, just true?

The bargain bin thing makes sense for any game, really. But the more important multiplayer is to your fun, the less effective bargain-binning will be. The multiplayer mob is fickle.

I know you all desperately WANT battlefront to be this super layered complex shooter like Battlefield, but the fact is it's more simplified arena-shooter like Call of Duty.

From an outsiders' POV, it seems perfectly sensible to make the shooting in a Star Wars game simple; the shooting and weapons in the Star Wars movies could hardly get any simpler, so you're just being true to the genre.

Unfortunately Drayth there are very few Star Wars games to choose from these days.

Don't be surprised if this changes. Lucas sat on his hands for years regarding the possibilities in the game space. But the new ownership seem determined to pump the property for all it's worth, and a steady diet of Star Wars shooters would seem like an idea worth considering.

42. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 13, 2017, 07:46 Redmask

He's an EA shill, don't waste your time.

People still play old Battlefield games over a decade later. Will anyone be playing Battlefront in 10 years?

41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2017, 07:12 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 20:34:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 19:32:
Slick wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 18:14:
you cranky old people honestly just like bitching, admit it.

Not really. Most have realistic wishes.
But I think we can say the same about you, just replace the bitching with trolling.

so "realistic wishes" mainly means that you "wish" that the game that exists is something completely different, specifically catered towards your personal tastes. And I'm the one that's trolling?

I'm sorry that you didn't get what YOU wanted. But being mad at an arena-style shooter for being an arena-style shooter is dumb.

You might as well get mad at Starcraft for not having more trading card game elements. That's not what the game is.

Learn to critique things on their own merits, and not just impose your selfish views on what YOU want. Although I know that's probably impossible for some people on here to even consider.

When the world revolves around what only you want, and shits on media that isn't specifically catered to you, congrats, you're the troll.

Arena style shooter? No. Its a dumbed down shooter, made for console controllers. PC players want something that fits their gaming machine. Its really that easy. All these RPG elements and cards and whatnot, simplified controls, nobody really wants that, not even most console players. See how successful that game is with exactly that. Nobody is playing it anymore. Games like that normally were played for years, if not decades.
I am sorry that I criticize commercial games whichs goals are only to sell as many units as possible due to a huge PR campaign (thats actually the biggest part of the game), and doesnt care about gameplay.
We are voicing our opinion and you are trying to silence people by attacking them with bullshit and personal attacks. That is trolling par excellence. And of course you wont admit it. When does a troll ever do that? lol...

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

40. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2017, 00:12 Drayth

Prove otherwise to what? As I said, there's big budget games trying to look as good as possible. That's what it takes to accomplish that, a large budget (or great art direction, which can be pulled off with a smaller budget). Battlefront being one, and I find it's also a fun shooter. I never said it always takes a lot of money to make a good game.

Minecraft was an indie game that hit it big. That's great. Not my cup of tea though.

I've poured vast hours into Sins of a Solar Empire, probably my favorite indie of recent years.

39. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 22:04 Tumbler

Drayth wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 18:38:

The unfortunate truth of modern gaming is it takes a shit-ton more resources to make a competitive looking (and sounding game), so the return needs to be high as well. Thus these days you have your Michael Bay games, and you have your art-house indie games, etc. There's plenty to choose from out there. I don't automatically shit over the Michael Bay games, however. There can still be fun to be had in them, for some of us at least.

There are many games that prove otherwise. Minecraft is the first that comes to mind. There is nothing that says a game Dev like dice has to try and make a game that plays like a movie. Rocket League. Hearthstone. Overwatch. (Maybe?) No Man's Sky (maybe not a perfect example) I'd take a battlefront game with far less fidelity if it was still fun to play today. I'd take destiny looking less for bigger better maps.

Too many are obsessed with making the game look as good as it can and they need to put that emphasis on making the game fun to play first and foremost. Demon souls, dark souls is another example. Look how many clones r out now. The competition often looks better...But it's the gameplay that people want.

38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 20:34 Slick

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 19:32:

But I think we can say the same about you, just replace the bitching with trolling.

so "realistic wishes" mainly means that you "wish" that the game that exists is something completely different, specifically catered towards your personal tastes. And I'm the one that's trolling?

I'm sorry that you didn't get what YOU wanted. But being mad at an arena-style shooter for being an arena-style shooter is dumb.

You might as well get mad at Starcraft for not having more trading card game elements. That's not what the game is.

Learn to critique things on their own merits, and not just impose your selfish views on what YOU want. Although I know that's probably impossible for some people on here to even consider.

When the world revolves around what only you want, and shits on media that isn't specifically catered to you, congrats, you're the troll.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

37. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 19:32 Muscular Beaver

36. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 19:31 Muscular Beaver

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 17:08:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 15:02:
* any lamer who thinks he's clever by cracking the "joke" that I'd be the first to go, puuuuhhhlease... predictable dumbass "joke" is predictable dumbass "joke", capisce?

I don't know about saying to euthanize yourself first would be the joke, I mean, after-all, everything you've posted has already proven you to be the most apt at being an actual joke that no one really needs to make one about you.

It's 2017, are we still using "lamer"?

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:58:
The negativity is very often confirmed, especially from us old school gamers, we would love to see games become more complex instead of getting dumbed down.

As much as I enjoy a deeply intricate game with deeply intricate systems, we are a slowly dying breed of a time past. I don't fault any company for maximizing their income by following market trends...nor do I fault consumers for purchasing things they want as long as it is within their means to do so legally.

In other words, progress is going to happen even if you don't agree with it or even see it as 'progress'.

There are enough people who want something like that, and believe it or not, the average console gamer isnt too stupid to play complexer games. Yet we dont want games where you have to deal with every little thing. Just things that challenge us more.

Progress is subjective. But there are occasions when it isnt. Following your logic we could be playing Pacman 236251, because its so popular.
Progress for most big developers is better graphics. No innovation. New genres actually are made by tiny devs, but more likely by players who mod an existing game. Oh wait, but these awesome progressive console ports cant even be modded...

35. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 19:01 Drayth

There's other arguments to be made if we're talking strictly Star Wars, and I agree there. That setting is ripe for a good RTS and RPG game to spawn out of. There's room for good shooters too, though.

What I want is Republic Commando II.

34. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 18:51 Task

Unfortunately Drayth there are very few Star Wars games to choose from these days. The choice for Battlefront alone is these new arcade kiddie Battlefronts or the old quasi Battlefront/Battlefield games. I'd much rather the Star Wars game license be opened up to see a glut of things like Warhammer - just go wild with it, surely some gems would be made that rather than how it is now being locked up under EA.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 18:38 Drayth

There's reasons I post somewhat infrequently here. I do read nearly every thread, however. I don't have a problem with modern games.

Guess I'm easily amused.

The unfortunate truth of modern gaming is it takes a shit-ton more resources to make a competitive looking (and sounding game), so the return needs to be high as well. Thus these days you have your Michael Bay games, and you have your art-house indie games, etc. There's plenty to choose from out there. I don't automatically shit over the Michael Bay games, however. There can still be fun to be had in them, for some of us at least.

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 18:14 Slick

The idea that "all games are just super easy and simplified these days" is ludicrous. you're just cherry picking. What about overwatch? TOO SIMPLE. ME HATE. you're mad at arena shooters for not being more complicated? lol.

I'm sure you'll all have your panties in a twist about Quake Champions too, because there isn't enough RPG elements and sidequests... BOOO TOO SIMPLE.

You guys are getting mad at games for being true to their genres, or you're just projecting what genre you WANT the game to be, totally disregarding what genre it actually is.

I know you all desperately WANT battlefront to be this super layered complex shooter like Battlefield, but the fact is it's more simplified arena-shooter like Call of Duty. That's what it is, it's not good or bad, it's what the game is. If you're just shitting on a game for it's genre, then you might as well throw your hat into the console fanboy ring too. YAY XBOX, BOO PLAYSTATION. FIRST PERSON IS THE BEST, THIRD PERSON IS FOR NOOBS.

I'm sure you'll all shit on Prey because it's not the game YOU want it to be either. Entitled much? Incapable of judging something on it's own merits without constantly comparing it to a mythical game you wish it would be?

That's not criticism, it's just egocentric immaturity.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2017, 17:08 DarkCntry

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 15:02:

I don't know about saying to euthanize yourself first would be the joke, I mean, after-all, everything you've posted has already proven you to be the most apt at being an actual joke that no one really needs to make one about you.

It's 2017, are we still using "lamer"?

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:58:

As much as I enjoy a deeply intricate game with deeply intricate systems, we are a slowly dying breed of a time past. I don't fault any company for maximizing their income by following market trends...nor do I fault consumers for purchasing things they want as long as it is within their means to do so legally.

In other words, progress is going to happen even if you don't agree with it or even see it as 'progress'.

30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 16:58 Muscular Beaver

Rigs wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 11:30:
See, this is what drives me nuts about gamers today...you guys have no clue what's in the game at this point, only that it has a story underpinning and covers all three trilogies...and has 'heroes', like the first. The game could literally have everything you're all complaining about wanting but you don't know. Yet we'll complain anyway. I'm guilty of it too but I think that for this industry to return to what it was back in it's heyday, we need some optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not saying to go out and pre-order but maybe be a little excited about things. I constantly (constantly) hear people wanting another Tie Fighter, including myself, and this could be a big step to that. It looks like it's going to have more focus on space combat.

I have the smallest bit of hope that EA heard all the complaints about the first and is going to change it. And for once, I'm going to go in excited to see what they'll give us this time instead of grumbling about it. Will I be disappointed? Probably. But fuck, I'm tired of being down and negative about this shit all the time. The mood is always 80% 'It's gonna fail - hard!' and 20% 'Well it might rock'. We need to change that.

=-Rigs-=

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo