Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I ended up letting the Gunnar-man roam the house without a doggie diaper yesterday, and he peed on the stove three different times. I don't know where this habit originated, but it has become completely ingrained (hence just giving up and diapering him). When we get a new stove that diaper's never coming off him. But it was a good way to celebrate National Pets Day. As for today, it's the anniversary of the first manned space flight by Yuri Gagarin back in 1961. That makes it Cosmonautics Day in Russia and some former Soviet territories, and the International Day of Human Space Flight elsewhere. Yesterday's stove episode was enough celebration for one week, so I think I'll skip launching myself into orbit today.

R.I.P.: Guitarist J. Geils Dead at 71.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Monkey GO Happy Chocolate.
Link: This May Be the Most Accurate Han Solo Blaster Replica Ever Created. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: See Toyota's robotic leg brace that helps paralyzed people walk.
Mystery of why shoelaces come undone unraveled by science.
Jupiter Has a Great 'Cold' Spot, Too.
Media: Honest Trailers - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
Gerrymandering: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
The World’s Only Scaled Mammal Is ADORABLE.
View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 12:59 Ant

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 12:14:
Ant wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 16:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 10:18:
I'm going diaperless on Easter.

Ew.
I still didn't pee on my stove even though it seemed like the thing to do.
I (pe/urinat)e in the rural backyard behind trees though.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 12:14 RedEye9

Ant wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 16:46:

Ew.
I still didn't pee on my stove even though it seemed like the thing to do.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2017, 16:46 Ant

Ew.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 22:41 Mr. Tact

Yeah. I found the Subaru one on YouTube -- which is similar. The dog getting in the car as a pup, then as an adult, then as an old dog...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 20:41 Dacote

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 19:31:
Dacote wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 18:32:
I can't find the dog food commercial that shows a dog growing up but it brings me to tears ...
A Subaru commercial I think? Try searching on that...
Found it, IAMS "Casey", circa 1999?
https://vimeo.com/131214632
It will soon succumb to Internet linkrot.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 19:31 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:46:
Blue wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 11:17:
He's 12-1/2 years old now

Bloody hell, what?!

I've never really thought about it but I imagined him being a young dog. I'm not sure why that surprises me so much but it seems like you were talking about him as a pup just a few years ago. They grow up so fast

Yeah, that was my thought: wow, I am (we are) old.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 19:31 Mr. Tact

Dacote wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 18:32:
I can't find the dog food commercial that shows a dog growing up but it brings me to tears ...
A Subaru commercial I think? Try searching on that...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 18:32 Dacote

I can't find the dog food commercial that shows a dog growing up but it brings me to tears, it ends with the dog slowing going up the stairs so this will have to do https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7QCh/iams-a-boy-and-his-dog-duck  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 18:20  Blue 

Quboid wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:46:

Bloody hell, what?!

I've never really thought about it but I imagined him being a young dog. I'm not sure why that surprises me so much but it seems like you were talking about him as a pup just a few years ago. They grow up so fast

He's slowed down a bit over the years, but he remains very youthful. He has a submissive quality that makes him seem forever juvenile.

I can't speak for in the Cutterverse but in our universe, that's not likely to be unlearned in a hurry.

Who are we to argue with an expert?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 17:53 Hoop

Astronauts wear diaper's, do you think its to prevent them from pissing all over the control board?  

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 17:37 Mr. Tact

Heard of doggy diapers, have/had no idea how common their use is. However, it seems like more than enough reason to bypass dog ownership, despite the fact I like dogs.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 16:46 Quboid

Bloody hell, what?!

I can't speak for in the Cutterverse but in our universe, that's not likely to be unlearned in a hurry.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 16:36 Kxmode

Killer Kane wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 16:26:
I remember seeing some sort of "no spray" that deters this behavior

Windex. The Greeks know.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 16:26 Killer Kane

I remember seeing some sort of "no spray" that deters this behavior  

16. Re: Jupiter Has a Great 'Cold' Spot, Too. Apr 12, 2017, 15:13 Kxmode

Neptune: It's ALWAYS about you.
Jupiter: I can't help it. I'm kind of a big deal.
Saturn: Not that it MATTERS or anything...

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 14:46 Verno

Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 14:23:
Well as someone who's had several dogs, and just about everyone I know has had them or still does, I've NEVER heard of this problem from any of them. I've NEVER heard of it at all in fact. The beauty of learned behavior is it can be unlearned. It's called operant conditioning. Sounds like you got bad advice. Seek elsewhere.

Here's the thing though, you aren't the center of the universe. There are a whole suite of things that happen all of the time regardless of your presence or awareness. Instead of pretending like things can't happen just because you haven't seen them occur, perhaps you should educate yourself on the subject.

I dated a woman who bred retrievers and sometimes the males will just mark the house regardless. The females wear a diaper for obvious reasons and the males often needed them too when they were acting out territorial/mating behavior. A male will often assert himself through marking as well and if there is uncertainty (moves, change of role, etc) this stuff manifests due to anxiety. You can't fix all animal behavioral problems with rewards and reinforcement by the way. Doggie diapers are often used in transition cycles of reinforcement by the way.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 14:29 RedEye9

Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 14:23:
Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 10:24:
There must be a way of breaking him of that habit. I've never even heard of a dog wearing a diaper until now. Talk to some dog experts online. There must be professional trainers around where you live that can help.

This behavior is not a mystery. It's called marking. It came out in Gunnar after Hudson the wonder dog died. It may be from him being left alone on occasion for the first time in his life, and it's some form of separation anxiety. Or maybe it was him finally feeling like he was the top dog in the house.

We worked on this a long time and ended up falling back on the diaper at the recommendation of the vet, who pointed out that this may not feel as satisfying as curing him of the problem, but it has the effect we require, which is keeping the house pee free. He's 12-1/2 years old now, so I think we'll just deal with it this way rather than make everybody miserable trying to further correct it.

And in spite of you never having heard of them, what he wears is a common item called a "belly band." It's actually not altogether unusual for the marking habits of male dogs to extend into the house, and this is a typical way of dealing with them.

Well as someone who's had several dogs, and just about everyone I know has had them or still does, I've NEVER heard of this problem from any of them. I've NEVER heard of it at all in fact. The beauty of learned behavior is it can be unlearned. It's called operant conditioning. Sounds like you got bad advice. Seek elsewhere.
Me, I and My
A typical cutter post.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 14:23 Cutter

Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 10:24:
There must be a way of breaking him of that habit. I've never even heard of a dog wearing a diaper until now. Talk to some dog experts online. There must be professional trainers around where you live that can help.

This behavior is not a mystery. It's called marking. It came out in Gunnar after Hudson the wonder dog died. It may be from him being left alone on occasion for the first time in his life, and it's some form of separation anxiety. Or maybe it was him finally feeling like he was the top dog in the house.

We worked on this a long time and ended up falling back on the diaper at the recommendation of the vet, who pointed out that this may not feel as satisfying as curing him of the problem, but it has the effect we require, which is keeping the house pee free. He's 12-1/2 years old now, so I think we'll just deal with it this way rather than make everybody miserable trying to further correct it.

And in spite of you never having heard of them, what he wears is a common item called a "belly band." It's actually not altogether unusual for the marking habits of male dogs to extend into the house, and this is a typical way of dealing with them.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 13:45 El Pit

DAMN!!!! Michael Ballhaus, one of the greatest cinematographers ever, has died at age 81. He worked with the best directors (Coppola, Scorsese, Redford, and and and) and gave us brilliant photography for movies like The Departed, Gangs of New York, Bram Stoker's Dracula, GoodFellas, and many many more movies. This is a terrible loss for modern cinema and a very sad day for Hollywood and all movie fans.  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 13:33 Dacote

Bill O'Reilly to go on vacation, hope it's permanent.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >