KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors

SWGameOutpost has a word of a premium Patreon rumor (of all things) suggesting BioWare is currently prototyping a KOTOR reboot (thanks GameSpot). This comes from Liam Robertson of Unseen64 and Did You Know Gaming, and IBT highlights another tidbit from the same podcast, discussing a new IP codenamed "Dylan" (thanks VG247). "Dylan is, from what I understand, a sci-fi themed game, it is sort of Destiny-style, takes some elements from The Division, it has like MMO elements," he explains. "Someone described it as a 'semi-MMO'. I don't know much more than that... it is a huge scale project, perhaps the biggest BioWare has ever done. It's bigger than Mass Effect Andromeda, considerably so. It will have co-op." Back to the first rumor, here's a transcript of the KOTOR bit:
"I’ve learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they’re going to be doing that for the indefinite future," he said during a podcast segment. "What they’re currently working on right now—and I have this on good authority—is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic. I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now."
View : : :

Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors
Apr 13, 2017, 09:53
Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 13, 2017, 09:53
Apr 13, 2017, 09:53

Could someone explain "Destiny-style" to me? I'm drawing a blank.

A KOTOR reboot sounds like a much better idea than no KOTOR reboot. I guess I'm just a ho for space opera. And to a lesser degree, for anything that isn't set in the "Earth 20th/early 21st century" range.

SWGameOutpost has a word of a premium Patreon rumor (of all things) suggesting BioWare is currently prototyping a KOTOR reboot (thanks GameSpot). This comes from Liam Robertson of Unseen64 and Did You Know Gaming, and IBT highlights another tidbit from the same podcast, discussing a new IP codenamed "Dylan" (thanks VG247). "Dylan is, from what I understand, a sci-fi themed game, it is sort of Destiny-style, takes some elements from The Division, it has like MMO elements," he explains. "Someone described it as a 'semi-MMO'. I don't know much more than that... it is a huge scale project, perhaps the biggest BioWare has ever done. It's bigger than Mass Effect Andromeda, considerably so. It will have co-op."

Interesting. "Elements" bit aside, MMO=bad, co-op=good, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I keep wishing that Mass Effect series would do something like the Director in L4D, actively change the opposing forces to achieve the desired balance. Something that can push and pull the player (I love the idea of a fighting retreat against crazy odds, where the actual gameplay pushes you back, not some cutscene or gimmick (at most, it should be dialog from squadmates that clue in the clueless players), but never see it implemented) And move beyond the set battles to combat that really is about the objective. E.g., you go in to grab the MacGuffin and escape. If you waste time fighting the garrison, you will eventually die, no matter how good you are; your only hope of survival is to stay on mission, get in, grab the MG, and get out. E.g., again you have a huge garrison, so frontal assault is hopeless; you have to stealth the mission if you want to succeed and survive. E.g., you have to hold off the bad guys long enough for the B Team to get something done; this is a thing, but I mean done in a meaningful way, not a scripted or cutscened or dialog-treed way. E.g., you have to create a distraction...

A fraction of the missions working like this would go a long way. ME needs some Deus Ex and L4D in its DNA.

Though it does make you wonder why BioWare wants to juggle at least three different sci-fi IPs.

Is telling you to shut your pie hole a personal attack?

Seriously though, have you no decency sir?

I totally sympathize with the "casualization" and "consolization" complaints about AAA games. It gets old, knowing you had to put up with inferior design choices simply because of those stupid controllers and lack of an OS and keyboard.

The original KotOR was one of the most boring crap RPGs ever. Everything except for the plot twist was a snorefest of galactic proportions. It is easily the most overrated RPG in history.

I can give that a sliver of agreement. I played KOTOR for the first time several years after it dropped, and it felt so old (I was expecting old, just not THAT old) that I just dropped it after a few minutes. I was one of the ones who was delighted to see Bioware move into the 3rd Person shooter genre with Mass Effect. I'd been wanting a fusion of shooters and RPGs forever. Twitch aspects abstracted in the tabletop RPG experience are best de-abstracted and moved into twitch gameplay, IMO.

Oh, and please fuck off with the Old Republic setting already. This garbage might have been a necessity when Lucas was super anal retentive about anything interfering with his glorious lore but now that that clown is gone let's have some games set during known timeframes from the movies instead of that boring ancient shit where all that ever happens is that the pendulum swings either in the Sith or the Jedi direction.

I actually find the idea of moving to an entirely different part of the Star Wars universe timeline a really good idea. The time of the movies have too much baggage, and too much crap I find boring and old. I think I found the tight-assed Manichean Force bureaucracy trite roughly when Phantom Menace dropped. Let go of the Jedi and their silly clothes, maybe even the lightsabers (is there any reason why the lightsaber is a good primary weapon, besides the silly blaster-blocking feature? Lucas should have made Vader's and maybe Obi-Wan's sole reliance on the LS into character quirks, not general practice, or a sign of rare mastery, as with Yoda and Palpatine). Give us a galaxy full of Force cults with wildly divergent cultures, demographies, beliefs, and goals, with half of them fighting against the others.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2017, 10:07.
Date
Subject
Author
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017
Apr 11, 2017Apr 11 2017