Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors

SWGameOutpost has a word of a premium Patreon rumor (of all things) suggesting BioWare is currently prototyping a KOTOR reboot (thanks GameSpot). This comes from Liam Robertson of Unseen64 and Did You Know Gaming, and IBT highlights another tidbit from the same podcast, discussing a new IP codenamed "Dylan" (thanks VG247). "Dylan is, from what I understand, a sci-fi themed game, it is sort of Destiny-style, takes some elements from The Division, it has like MMO elements," he explains. "Someone described it as a 'semi-MMO'. I don't know much more than that... it is a huge scale project, perhaps the biggest BioWare has ever done. It's bigger than Mass Effect Andromeda, considerably so. It will have co-op." Back to the first rumor, here's a transcript of the KOTOR bit:

"I’ve learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they’re going to be doing that for the indefinite future," he said during a podcast segment. "What they’re currently working on right now—and I have this on good authority—is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic. I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 13, 2017, 10:19 JohnQP

Lucas had a lot of really fun ideas, and created a really good base setting with Star Wars, but he's just one man. He let the success go to his head, and apparently surrounded himself with yes-men who wouldn't challenge his ideas. That's the kind of character flaw that becomes a creative flaw. Unless he was just so much more strong-willed than anyone else he ran into, an impression he's never given me.

By the time the prequels came around, fuggedaboutit; the Jedi were utterly unconvincing as galactic cops, Rangers of the North, what have you. What possible difference could that tiny flea circus have made on a galactic scale? They carried around laser-swords, FFS. Leverage being what it is, Luke had the right idea; use the Force to use a cutting-edge fighter to hit the Death Star in its weak point. We should've seen a lot more of that from the Jedi.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 13, 2017, 09:53 JohnQP

Could someone explain "Destiny-style" to me? I'm drawing a blank.

A KOTOR reboot sounds like a much better idea than no KOTOR reboot. I guess I'm just a ho for space opera. And to a lesser degree, for anything that isn't set in the "Earth 20th/early 21st century" range.

SWGameOutpost has a word of a premium Patreon rumor (of all things) suggesting BioWare is currently prototyping a KOTOR reboot (thanks GameSpot). This comes from Liam Robertson of Unseen64 and Did You Know Gaming, and IBT highlights another tidbit from the same podcast, discussing a new IP codenamed "Dylan" (thanks VG247). "Dylan is, from what I understand, a sci-fi themed game, it is sort of Destiny-style, takes some elements from The Division, it has like MMO elements," he explains. "Someone described it as a 'semi-MMO'. I don't know much more than that... it is a huge scale project, perhaps the biggest BioWare has ever done. It's bigger than Mass Effect Andromeda, considerably so. It will have co-op."

Interesting. "Elements" bit aside, MMO=bad, co-op=good, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I keep wishing that Mass Effect series would do something like the Director in L4D, actively change the opposing forces to achieve the desired balance. Something that can push and pull the player (I love the idea of a fighting retreat against crazy odds, where the actual gameplay pushes you back, not some cutscene or gimmick (at most, it should be dialog from squadmates that clue in the clueless players), but never see it implemented) And move beyond the set battles to combat that really is about the objective. E.g., you go in to grab the MacGuffin and escape. If you waste time fighting the garrison, you will eventually die, no matter how good you are; your only hope of survival is to stay on mission, get in, grab the MG, and get out. E.g., again you have a huge garrison, so frontal assault is hopeless; you have to stealth the mission if you want to succeed and survive. E.g., you have to hold off the bad guys long enough for the B Team to get something done; this is a thing, but I mean done in a meaningful way, not a scripted or cutscened or dialog-treed way. E.g., you have to create a distraction...

A fraction of the missions working like this would go a long way. ME needs some Deus Ex and L4D in its DNA.

Though it does make you wonder why BioWare wants to juggle at least three different sci-fi IPs.

Is telling you to shut your pie hole a personal attack?

Seriously though, have you no decency sir?

I totally sympathize with the "casualization" and "consolization" complaints about AAA games. It gets old, knowing you had to put up with inferior design choices simply because of those stupid controllers and lack of an OS and keyboard.

The original KotOR was one of the most boring crap RPGs ever. Everything except for the plot twist was a snorefest of galactic proportions. It is easily the most overrated RPG in history.

I can give that a sliver of agreement. I played KOTOR for the first time several years after it dropped, and it felt so old (I was expecting old, just not THAT old) that I just dropped it after a few minutes. I was one of the ones who was delighted to see Bioware move into the 3rd Person shooter genre with Mass Effect. I'd been wanting a fusion of shooters and RPGs forever. Twitch aspects abstracted in the tabletop RPG experience are best de-abstracted and moved into twitch gameplay, IMO.

Oh, and please fuck off with the Old Republic setting already. This garbage might have been a necessity when Lucas was super anal retentive about anything interfering with his glorious lore but now that that clown is gone let's have some games set during known timeframes from the movies instead of that boring ancient shit where all that ever happens is that the pendulum swings either in the Sith or the Jedi direction.

I actually find the idea of moving to an entirely different part of the Star Wars universe timeline a really good idea. The time of the movies have too much baggage, and too much crap I find boring and old. I think I found the tight-assed Manichean Force bureaucracy trite roughly when Phantom Menace dropped. Let go of the Jedi and their silly clothes, maybe even the lightsabers (is there any reason why the lightsaber is a good primary weapon, besides the silly blaster-blocking feature? Lucas should have made Vader's and maybe Obi-Wan's sole reliance on the LS into character quirks, not general practice, or a sign of rare mastery, as with Yoda and Palpatine). Give us a galaxy full of Force cults with wildly divergent cultures, demographies, beliefs, and goals, with half of them fighting against the others.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2017, 10:07.

24. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 12, 2017, 09:43 Xirgu

fxk kotor.. reboot the jedi academy series..  

23. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 12, 2017, 02:39 yuastnav

Why reboot? Why not acknowledge that SW:TOR was a mistake and then make a KOTOR3 instead?  

22. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 12, 2017, 00:06 Creston

Dylan is, from what I understand, a sci-fi themed game, it is sort of Destiny-style, takes some elements from The Division, it has like MMO elements," he explains. "Someone described it as a 'semi-MMO'.

OMG I'M SO EXCITED.

... Rolleyes

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 21:30 NewMaxx

Think I had my fill of ARPGs...The Division settled that for me.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 18:43 Drayth

I can't see them doing a reboot. The MMO's lore is directly tied to the original two games, and there's no sign of that shutting down anytime soon. They're not going to have a new game out that ret-con's a currently running MMO.

Also, nice chunks of the existing Old Republic lore have made it into canon status by showing up in the various animated series, and even Rogue 1.

If there really is a new Old Republic game on the way it's only level of reboot will be distancing itself from the original stories is my guess.

It's worth noting that any new Star Wars games EA publishes are 100% canon... so if this DOES happen...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 17:15 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 10:29:
Old school Bioware is long gone. Whatever they make will be mass marketable mediocrity.

The fact that they think a semi-MMO is a good idea is enough of warning sign to me.

*Pours out a 40oz* So long, Bioware. I'll always remember BG1/2, DA:O.

If news about a new KotOR came a years ago it would have been exciting, though the way EA/Bioware inevitably tacks on market features at the expense of a good game means no matter what they make, no matter how much I might have liked a past game in a series I have no excitement anymore about anything they might make.

Maybe one day I'll get pleasantly surprised, hah.

18. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 11, 2017, 15:30 Acleacius

Since KOTOR defined the development of SWTOR, now they want to go back and change the original to fit the mmog. If the lore don't fit, go back and change it?  
“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

17. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors Apr 11, 2017, 15:20 LittleMe

Will it have white slavers?  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

16. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 15:06 CJ_Parker

Zero fucks given indeed.

They are going to casualize the living fuck out of a Star Wars "RPG" (let's face it... like SWBF is a dumbed down reskin of BF they would dumb down MEA even further -if that is even possible- and reskin that shit).

The original KotOR was one of the most boring crap RPGs ever. Everything except for the plot twist was a snorefest of galactic proportions. It is easily the most overrated RPG in history.

It was also among the first games to illustrate in full force how the Shitbox is holding back PC gaming big time. The graphics, UI and inventory were ridiculously shitty on the PC and the stamp size of the levels was a necessity because of the 8KB of RAM on the fucking first Shitbox.

I was (once again) ready to drop bombs on Redmond when I got to the "vast and dangerous" deserts of Tatooine which were about the size of the sandbox for toddlers behind my house. Fuckin' A, man...

Oh, and please fuck off with the Old Republic setting already. This garbage might have been a necessity when Lucas was super anal retentive about anything interfering with his glorious lore but now that that clown is gone let's have some games set during known timeframes from the movies instead of that boring ancient shit where all that ever happens is that the pendulum swings either in the Sith or the Jedi direction.

15. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 14:42 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 13:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 10:45:
RPG with coop focus usually means shit story...

Thats your opinion, and its shit! Myself and many of my friends happen to love Coop games like this. It defiantly something I will be keeping an eye out for.

What? Whether you like coop games or not has absolutely nothing to do with their story being usually shit.... and all coop supporting games I ever played, except BG2 (but that was not really COOP) ... had a bad story. And if you wanna argue against that, let me just say this. You would argue that NWN 1 OC was a good story, and that would make you look pretty damn insane. ;p

The only good CO-OP RPG's I played were NWN1 fan modules....

14. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 14:19 jacobvandy

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 13:55:
"Rumors of new KOTOR..."

[my face lights up]

"...reboot with co-op."

[I am swallowing vomit]

A lot of poor reading comprehension in here today... Settle your tum-tum, the KOTOR reboot is a SEPARATE PROJECT than the new sci-fi IP described as Destiny-style semi-MMO with co-op.

Though it does make you wonder why BioWare wants to juggle at least three different sci-fi IPs. What's gonna distinguish this new one from Mass Effect and Star Wars?

13. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 13:55 007Bistromath

"Rumors of new KOTOR..."

[my face lights up]

"...reboot with co-op."

[I am swallowing vomit]

12. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 13:01 Darks

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 10:45:
RPG with coop focus usually means shit story...

Thats your opinion, and its shit! Myself and many of my friends happen to love Coop games like this. It defiantly something I will be keeping an eye out for.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 12:33 sauron

Flatline wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 12:18:
You know you swung and missed when even Penny Arcade pans your game. I mean, if they buy into an IP, you have to turn out sacks of liquid crap to turn them off.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/04/10/comprehensive

Yeah, I read that PA post as well. Those guys are really nice, and they rarely bash games, especially ones from their favorite IPs (which include ME). But they really do not like ME:A at all.

Kittens!

10. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 12:31 Bopper

I hope they go back to making a slightly more linear and personal story. Less, better written characters with a focus on player choice. Semi turn-based tactical combat with deep character customisation. No fetch quests or crafting.

From what I saw in that statement, this will be nothing like that. Derp.

- Boppa

9. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 12:18 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 11:30:
"Destiny-style, takes some elements for the Division, MMO elements, semi-MMO."

How reassuring. LoL.

So basically ME:A with lightsabers.

You know you swung and missed when even Penny Arcade pans your game. I mean, if they buy into an IP, you have to turn out sacks of liquid crap to turn them off.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/04/10/comprehensive

8. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 11:30 VaranDragon

"Destiny-style, takes some elements for the Division, MMO elements, semi-MMO."

How reassuring. LoL.

7. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 11:08 Task

Then "Dylan" is probably the Edmonton IP. Just a guess though.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo