Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Someone asked about progress on our move. The short answer is there hasn't been much. We fired our contractor, and have a quote from the floor guys on fixing some of what he messed up. We also have a quote from another contractor while we continue to try and juggle together the finances to pay for this work. So things are at a bit of a temporary standstill. Hopefully we will get back on track quickly enough.

Stagnant Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Cut the Rope: Experiments.
Story: Anthony Hopkins Says He Joined New 'Transformers' Because Michael Bay 'Is a Genius'. Thanks GamesRadar+.
Science: The big one is coming, and it's going to be a flu pandemic.
Now Is the Best Time to See Jupiter in the Night Sky.
Atmosphere found around Earth-like planet GJ 1132b.
Media: GIANT ROBOT DUEL DETAILS. Thanks Rhialto.
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - VR HORROR GAME! (Teens React- Gaming).
IF OVERWATCH HAD TINDER.
View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 23:50 Kxmode

Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 07:47:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 02:47:
The situation with the neighbor's dogs has to be the most stressful event I've found myself in. It's raining and cold over here in California, and I didn't know how the dogs were doing or if they had shelter, food, or what. The worse is the owner left the property two weeks ago (he's a renter). He abandoned his dogs. I have great news to report! The Chief of Police emailed me tonight:

"Animal Services responded to check on the dogs today. Some food was left by the Animal Services Officer and the dogs appeared to be in acceptable health at that time. A note was left requesting contact from the owner and weve received no response. The plan now is that the dogs will be taken into protective custody tomorrow by our Animal Services staff."

It's been a very long six months but I'm relieved for the dogs, and I'll finally be able to get peace and quiet. Win-Win for us both!

Poor pooches. I hope they're sent to a no-kill shelter. I don't hope the same for their ex-owners.

I hope so. But the situation had become unbearable for both myself, the neighbors, and the dogs. Had the city not acted they would've died from starvation. If euthanized, that would be more humane and less painful. I do hope the city can rehabilitate them and put them to work as police dogs.

I'm working with an animal advocate to track down where this monster moved to and place him on a DO NOT ADOPT list with area shelters to ensure no dog will ever suffer through another ordeal.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 07:47 Quboid

The situation with the neighbor's dogs has to be the most stressful event I've found myself in. It's raining and cold over here in California, and I didn't know how the dogs were doing or if they had shelter, food, or what. The worse is the owner left the property two weeks ago (he's a renter). He abandoned his dogs. I have great news to report! The Chief of Police emailed me tonight:

"Animal Services responded to check on the dogs today. Some food was left by the Animal Services Officer and the dogs appeared to be in acceptable health at that time. A note was left requesting contact from the owner and weve received no response. The plan now is that the dogs will be taken into protective custody tomorrow by our Animal Services staff."

It's been a very long six months but I'm relieved for the dogs, and I'll finally be able to get peace and quiet. Win-Win for us both!

Poor pooches. I hope they're sent to a no-kill shelter. I don't hope the same for their ex-owners.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2017, 03:52 El Pit

Good luck with the move, Blue. Best idea would be to ask friends who have moved recently about their experiences and then call one of the contractors they have been happy/lucky with.  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

38. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 03:51 El Pit

I hope it is a GOOD animal shelter.

https://www.americanhumane.org/fact-sheet/animal-shelter-euthanasia-2/

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

37. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 02:53 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 18:47:
That being said, I thought The Island was pretty good.

I'd love to see a sequel to The Island. There's a great follow-up story worth telling.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 02:47 Kxmode

35. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 01:29 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 21:31:
descender wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 19:27:
That's a lot of actors though. Morgan Freeman, Robert DeNiro, Stallone, etc.

Truth. A large majority of their work is just shit, roles that were written for who they are rather than them branching out and playing different characters. That's where I penalize them and consider them overrated. Someone like Depp, Norton or Weaving, McKellan was mentioned below... or the method actors that get really into playing someone completely different than themselves... they impress me.

I wonder what type of method acting Mark Wahlberg channeled for The Perfect Storm and Deepwater Horizon. Both excellent films acted admirably by a guy that used to go by the handle, Marky Mark and starred in a Michael Bay film.

Marky Mark pretty much just plays himself. If he's well cast, it works. Three Kings was enjoyable. I've enjoyed most of his roles that I've seen. He's kind of like Tom Cruise in that way.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 7, 2017, 22:25 The Half Elf

Hey Blue, a suggestion for contractors.

Check outPro Referral's by Home Depot. It was (when I worked the Pro Desk) a great way for people to find contractors easily, and they are already background checked by Home Depot, and they are all licenses and insured.
This way you can get the lowest possible quote because they are all being recommended from Home Depots system.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

33. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 7, 2017, 21:31 Kxmode

descender wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 19:27:

Truth. A large majority of their work is just shit, roles that were written for who they are rather than them branching out and playing different characters. That's where I penalize them and consider them overrated. Someone like Depp, Norton or Weaving, McKellan was mentioned below... or the method actors that get really into playing someone completely different than themselves... they impress me.

I wonder what type of method acting Mark Wahlberg channeled for The Perfect Storm and Deepwater Horizon. Both excellent films acted admirably by a guy that used to go by the handle, Marky Mark and starred in a Michael Bay film.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 20:52 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 19:11:
Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 10:05:
Wow, that's so sad to hear Anthony Hopkins obviously has dementia.

Experts say we are "due" for one. When it happens, they tell us, it will probably have a greater impact on humanity than anything else currently happening in the world.

Yeah, except we're not. Those models are based on pre-industrial history. They keep saying the same thing about a world war - which we're more or less in anyway. That article comes off more like an ad for big Pharma, 'Oh we can avert it all with vaccines you know, but we'll require oodles and oodles of money!' As someone who knows someone, first hand, who ended up paralyzed and had their life destroyed by a flu shot I'll take my chances without thanks.

If you stop posting during the next pandemic, I guess we'll know why.

Yeah, because the internet collapsed from all the techs who got paralyzed by flu shots. I'll be just fine. Of course, you won't be checking Blues because you'll be paralyzed too.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 20:31 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 19:11:
Channelling nin i see, keep up the good work.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

30. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 7, 2017, 19:27 descender

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2017, 19:38.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 19:11 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 10:05:
Wow, that's so sad to hear Anthony Hopkins obviously has dementia.

Experts say we are "due" for one. When it happens, they tell us, it will probably have a greater impact on humanity than anything else currently happening in the world.

Yeah, except we're not. Those models are based on pre-industrial history. They keep saying the same thing about a world war - which we're more or less in anyway. That article comes off more like an ad for big Pharma, 'Oh we can avert it all with vaccines you know, but we'll require oodles and oodles of money!' As someone who knows someone, first hand, who ended up paralyzed and had their life destroyed by a flu shot I'll take my chances without thanks.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

28. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 7, 2017, 19:09 Agent.X7

descender wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 16:18:
He makes you believe the lines he delivers are his own

Yeah, he just always delivers them as the same character. I get the gravitas aspect... but that's about it. He's really good at playing...himself. The 2 times he didn't play himself (maybe i'll let Hitchcock or Titus make it 3) I was impressed with his work... but the rest of his characters are very interchangeable.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2017, 19:07 Agent.X7

I don't hate everything Bay has done. Bad Boys, The Rock, hell, I even Like Armageddon and The Island. But lately he has not directed anything worth watching. Transformers is the worst, AND Bay has come up with a formula that he now uses in EVERY movie he directs, and it is very annoying. Also, his slo-mo shots that pan around actors, ugh. He's become a parody of himself.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 19:06 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 15:34:
He's made a lotta films, shame none of em are worth watching.

Just because a person works hard at something does not mean he does good work. My lawn boy sweats his ass off mowing and weeding but I still have to point out all the places he missed or how he forgot to edge the sidewalk.

Switch out "lawnboy" with "rentboy" and your analogy becomes much more interesting.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2017, 18:52 jdreyer

Task wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 13:59:
Good afternoon everyone, I woke up this morning to find out we've illegally bombed a Sovereign country again. Almost like a Deja Vu of Iraq WMDs. The media and Congress Critters, Democrats and Republicans, are slowly falling lockstep and goose-step for another illegal war and this time to come to the rescue of Terrorist Mercenaries. Fuck Imperialism. Fuck Trump, Obama, and Bush.

I'll just point out that we haven't actually declared war on another country since 1943.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 18:47 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 10:12:
Hopkins has lost his mind? Confirmed.
I remember watching Armageddon in the theaters and being so upset at how universally awful I thought it was.

That being said, I thought The Island was pretty good.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 18:36 jdreyer

We also have a quote from another contractor while we continue to try and juggle together the finances to pay for this work.

Patreon?

22. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 7, 2017, 16:18 descender

He makes you believe the lines he delivers are his own

Yeah, he just always delivers them as the same character. I get the gravitas aspect... but that's about it. He's really good at playing...himself. The 2 times he didn't play himself (maybe i'll let Hitchcock or Titus make it 3) I was impressed with his work... but the rest of his characters are very interchangeable.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >