Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M

TorrentFreak reports Blizzard Entertainment has won a copyright infringement case against German company Bossland over selling game cheats (thanks BBC News). The judgment awards Blizzard over $8.5 million in damages, though it's not clear if the defendant has the cash to pay that. The cheat maker is also now prohibited from marketing or selling products in the United States. Bossland did not defend itself, but has previously said it would continue the legal battle after the issue of a default judgment, as noted in this excerpt:

As a result, the court grants the statutory copyright damages Blizzard requested for 42,818 violations within the United States, totaling $8,563,600. In addition, the game developer is entitled to $174,872 in attorneys’ fees.

To prevent further damage, Bossland is also prohibited from marketing or sellings its cheats in the United States. This applies to hacks including “Honorbuddy,” “Demonbuddy,”
“Stormbuddy,” “Hearthbuddy,” and “Watchover Tyrant,” as well as any other software designed to exploit Blizzard games.

While its a hefty judgment, the order doesn’t really come as a surprise given that the German cheat maker failed to defend itself.

Bossland CEO Zwetan Letschew previously informed TorrentFreak that his company would continue the legal battle after the issue of a default judgment. Whatever the outcome, the cheats will remain widely available outside of the US for now.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 7, 2017, 00:18 JohnQP

I think I've made my point. That you still find problems with it doesn't bother me.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 14:58 Orogogus

I think the way you originally phrased the question is faulty. You initially posed that it was hypocritical to blame gun supply and drug demand on different sides. But you're talking about the drug war now, which is basically the entire situation; there's no dichotomy between drug violence and drug cartels, and you wouldn't expect anyone to apportion blame for gun supply to one side and drug demand on the other. Your own counterargument puts the blame on Mexican cartels for a single situation. You can disagree about whether US demand brings about this violence or not, but I think the charge of hypocrisy is unwarranted.

There is some talk from the left about gun smuggling, but I don't believe they're suggesting that the violence would go away if the US cut off the supply of guns. They just want to go after gun manufacturers.

26. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 09:14 JohnQP

Now some searches to give us some clues as to who's winning the conversation (quotation marks are as they appeared in the search):

"Mexicans are to blame" for drug violence
About 63,200 results

"Americans are to blame" for drug violence
About 1,340,000 results

"Mexicans are responsible" drug violence
About 58,600 results

"Americans are responsible" drug violence
About 1,390,000 results

25. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 08:59 JohnQP

Here are the results for some more neutral questions (I left out neutral results; again, quotation marks not used in searches):

"who is to blame for drug violence in mexico?"

America Is To Blame For Mexico's Drug War | IQ2US Debates

Is U.S. to Blame for Mexico's Drug War? - Newsweek

Mexico's Drug War: U.S. shares blame for Mexico drug violence

Is the U.S. responsible for Mexico's drugs war? | Debate.org

Why America Is to Blame for Mexico's Carnage and Corruption

Is America To Blame For Mexico's Drug War? : NPR

"who is to blame for gun crime in Mexico?"

Mexican Foreign Minister: Mexico's Violence Is Product of U.S. Gun ...

Is the U.S. to blame for gun violence in Mexico? - Baker Institute Blog

Foreign Minister Blames Mexico's Violence On Lax Us Gun Laws

Trump echoes Mexican president, says lax US gun laws help arm ...

Should U.S. Gun Manufacturers Be Held Responsible For The [ongoing violence in Mexico, going by the URL - JohnQP]

Commentary: U.S. freedoms not to blame for Mexico's drug war ... [CNN! - JohnQP]

Blame for Mexico gun violence crosses US border | National ...

Don't Blame American Guns for Mexico's Drug War | The National ...

Obama Blames U.S. For Crime And Gun Violence In Mexico; No ...

"Who is to blame for Mexican drug trade?"

Why America is responsible for Mexican drug cartels - The Christian ...

Why America Is to Blame for Mexico's Carnage and Corruption ...

Mexico's Drug War: U.S. shares blame for Mexico drug violence ...

24. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 08:49 JohnQP

Here are some copy-pastes from the first 2 or 3 pages of Google search results (I did not use quotes in the searches). Omissions were largely irrelevant, or repeats.

"american demand for drugs fuels cartel violence"

U.S. officials: Drug demand fuels Mexico violence - Washington Times
washingtontimes.com

American Drug Consumers Contribute $40 Billion A Year To Deadly ...
thinkprogress.org

How U.S. Thirst For Drugs Fuels Mexico's Violence . News | OPB
opb.org

Clinton: Drug demand fuels Mexico cartels - World news - Americas ...
nbcnews.com

U.S. demand fuels Mexican drug violence | TBO.com
tbo.com

Clinton Says U.S. Feeds Mexico Drug Trade - The New York Times
nytimes.com

Mexico's Drug War: U.S. shares blame for Mexico drug violence ...
latimes.com

Why America is responsible for Mexican drug cartels - The Christian ...
csmonitor.com

"american gun smugglers to blame for mexico violence"

Obama Blames U.S. For Gun Smuggling In Mexico; No Mention Of ...
breitbart.com

breitbart.com

ncronline.org/

Flashback: Obama Blames US Guns For Mexican Violence... Then ...
thegatewaypundit.com

Guns From U.S. Play Key Role In Mexican Violence : NPR
npr.org

U.S. Guns Arming Mexican Drug Gangs; Second Amendment to ...
abcnews.go.com

intelligencesquaredus.org

Obama: Americans 'Are Root Cause of Violence That's Been ...
cnsnews.com

U.S. Guns Behind Cartel Killings in Mexico - The Washington Post
washingtonpost.com

Trump echoes Mexican president, says lax US gun laws help arm ...
www.theguardian.com

Should U.S. Gun Manufacturers Be Held Responsible For The ...
forbes.com

Is the US to blame for Mexico's drugs violence? | idebate.org
ru.idebate.org

"mexico to blame for drugs in American streets":

newsweek.com

More and more people are being murdered in Mexico — and once ...
latimes.com

Why America Is to Blame for Mexico's Carnage and Corruption ...
foreignpolicy.com

debate.org

America to Blame for Mexico's Problems? - The New American
www.thenewamerican.com

Obama Blames Violence in Mexico on America's Lust for Drugs, Guns
theblaze.com

America's Corrupt War on Drugs: and the People - Google Books Result
books.google.com

American Carnage Is Real, Concentrated in City Pockets and ...
realclearinvestigations.com

Mexican Drug War victims: US is responsible - Salon.com
salon.com

DEA Official: Mexican Drug Cartels Doing 'Tremendous Harm to Our ...
cnsnews.com

Meth Is Flooding California — and You Can Blame Mexican Cartels ...
news.vice.com

Both Mexico and the US Are to Blame for Ruthless Drug Lords Like ...
historynewsnetwork.org

Heroin: Blame It On America – Mexican Drug Cartels and Gang ...
helpsavemaryland.org

We Are Mexico's Drug Problem | The Huffington Post
huffingtonpost.com

Films Media Group - America Is to Blame for Mexico's Drug War: A ...
films.com

"mexicans to blame for mexican gun violence"

ncronline.org

breitbart.com

Don't Blame American Guns for Mexico's Drug War | The National ...
nationalinterest.org

Mexicans pull the trigger - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

articles.chicagotribune.com

How Thousands Of U.S. Guns Fuel Crime In Mexico : NPR
npr.org

Obama Blames Violence in Mexico on America's Lust for Drugs, Guns
theblaze.com

Borderland Homicides Show Mexico's Gun Control Has Failed | Zero ...
zerohedge.com

Foreign Minister Blames Mexico's Violence On Lax Us Gun Laws
downtrend.com

newsweek.com

Mexico's Drug Cartel War – Who is to Blame? - The Real Truth
realtruth.org

Is the US to blame for Mexico's drugs violence? | International Public
ippf.idebate.org

U.S. Guns Arming Mexican Drug Gangs; Second Amendment to ...
abcnews.go.com

U.S. the Supplier as Mexico's Gun Violence Grows - tribunedigital ...
articles.baltimoresun.com

Do you see much evidence of regard for the problem illegal drugs from Mexico represent to Americans in those results? Do you see much blaming of Mexicans for Mexican violence? Do you see much blaming of Mexicans for being the drug criminals? Notice who makes which argument: the leftist/Big Media outlets follow the pattern I described, in fact to a degree that corresponds to how far left they are, while the conservative outlets offer countervailing arguments.

I also see a lot of blame-sharing, obviously, but that still works in the direction of what I describe, IMO; it isn't Americans running the Mexican cartels, it isn't Americans chopping people's heads off in Mexico. It's Mexicans.

Edit: and yes, much of the propaganda comes in the form of a question. Notice the consistency of the question, though. Not once did I see any equivalents asking the same questions about Mexico.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2017, 09:07.

23. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 08:16 JohnQP

I don't think most people on the left blame drug users for the drug trade. The talk is usually about legalization to cut demand.

It's been my experience that leftists routinely blame American demand for the problems created by the cross-border drug trade, especially at the grass roots. This is shot all through the critiques of the War on Drugs. Which isn't at all the same issue as the drug trade, generally (leftists have almost no regard for consistency across arguments, so it's no surprise that they'd talk out of both sides of their mouths).

And I don't think left-leaners believe weapons companies are causing violence in Mexico or elsewhere.

I didn't say anything about manufacturers (though it's not news that leftists want to sue gun manufacturers for violence done with weapons they made). It's been my experience that leftists routinely say things like "it's American smugglers who are putting these weapons into the hands of Mexican cartels, weapons that enable the gun violence in Mexico." Really, if you aren't familiar with the left's whole, "no guns, no gun violence" argument, I don't know what to tell you.

Does leftists blaming everything on America and Whitey, and selling "minorities" as lacking agency really strike you as out of character?

22. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 21:52 Orogogus

No, go ahead and be insulting if that's the only way you can explain. As I read it you made a digression about the political left, but I don't think it holds up.

- Leftists blame American drug use (demand) for Mexican sales of illegal drugs
- Leftists blame American gun manufacturers (supply) for selling guns to the criminals in Mexico

I don't think most people on the left blame drug users for the drug trade. The talk is usually about legalization to cut demand.

And I don't think left-leaners believe weapons companies are causing violence in Mexico or elsewhere. I think you're conflating two different usages of the word "blame" -- to find someone to be the cause of an undesirable effect, and to find someone to be behaving wrongly regardless of effect -- and it breaks the construction.

21. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 20:38 JohnQP

Oro, I think you're missing my point, which was pretty obvious. I don't mean to be insulting, but I do think you've rushed through your work.  

20. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 13:12 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 06:56:
Leftists blame the drug trade on Americans, because they are the demand side (their argument, not mine). They also blame the gun trade on Americans, because they are the supply side (their argument, not mine). Notice the pattern?

That doesn't seem super solid. In your own analogy the drug users/dealers and gun retailers are pimps, hookers and johns. I think it's pretty obvious even to hardcore gun control proponents that if US companies didn't supply arms someone else would, but that doesn't lend any moral weight to doing so.

19. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 06:56 JohnQP

"Without someone buying it, there'd be no market. So easy to answer that."

So, pimps aren't as bad as their hookers, and hookers aren't as bad as the johns. A very old theory that ignores the massive number of infractions made by a typical purveyor, vs the much smaller number by a typical consumer. Same goes for drug dealers, but throw in violence to boot (edit: what am I saying? Plenty of violence in the sex trade, too, with the vast majority coming from pimps).

In other words, one category is people in the business of being scum. The other is people who shop with the former; whether it's once a lifetime, or five times a day, it's still much worse to be the peddler.

Which is why we have kingpin laws.

My favorite hypocrisy of this kind regards the illicit trade of drugs and guns over the America-Mexico border. Leftists blame the drug trade on Americans, because they are the demand side (their argument, not mine). They also blame the gun trade on Americans, because they are the supply side (their argument, not mine). Notice the pattern?

P.S., your logic applies to the supply side, too; without a supply, demand would go unfilled.

18. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 06:33 Armengar

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 21:21:
MajorD wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 11:18:
I don't know what is worse; a company that sells cheats, or the twits who purchase them.

Can't be anyworse than those who paid for mmo's, steam drm infested malware games or denuvo infested games.

So pirate or GOG things then? Having used steam for a very long time (I have a 5 digit steam ID) I can count on one hand the times that steam DRM has been an issue for me. I remember having to use my mobile as an access point to offline a bunch of people at a lan meeting once, I also remember leaving my mobile at home so I couldn't 2 factor log in too. Apart from that I suppose im lucky enough never to have had an issue.

I have also played D3 since launch night and again have had very few issues in the hundreds of hours played. I cant speak for denuvo - until you mentioned it I had no idea what it was. MMO wise, I don't play any subscription MMOs any more but when I did I was quite aware on the yearly cost and didn't mind paying it for the entertainment return I got. Afterall, time enjoyed wise it was cheaper than drinking wine.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 21:21 Suppa7

MajorD wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 11:18:
I don't know what is worse; a company that sells cheats, or the twits who purchase them.

Can't be anyworse than those who paid for mmo's, steam drm infested malware games or denuvo infested games.

16. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 18:00 Creston

If you don't defend yourself, you shouldn't be able to "continue the legal battle."

We as the taxpayers have already coughed up enough money for your horseshit.

That said, since they're in Germany, Blizzard won't be able to do jack shit.

15. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 17:34 El Pit

Trump: Describe what Blizzard looks like.
Bossland: What?
Trump: Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say 'what' one more Goddamn time!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 15:16 Blackhawk

Then you need to go look up 'hollow victory.' If Blizzard benefits, it isn't hollow, and I've already described how Blizzard benefits.  

13. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 14:59 Kajetan

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 14:02:
It isn't a hollow victory, it is a show of force.
It IS a hollow victory. Everyone outside of the US (and the VAST majority of commercial cheat service providers and gold sellers and whatnot is outside of the US) just dont give shit, about what Blizzard achieves or does not achieve in US jurisdiction.

12. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 14:19 Cutter

No they won't have to pay unless they ever intend to do business in the US again. It's why they didn't even bother to hire a lawyer and defaulted instead. Ultimately it doesn't mean much as I'm sure they'll continue business as usual. It's the major problem with international business. This is par for the course with China. All they do is infringe on other peoples work and sell it. It's virtually impossible to get them to stop unless you have exceedingly deep pockets and even then it's just not worth it for the most part.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

11. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 14:03 Blackhawk

It also helps build up legal precedent, which is something that can be very much worth it in the future. Blizzard probably considers this victory to be an investment.

10. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 14:02 Blackhawk

It isn't a hollow victory, it is a show of force. Blizzard being willing to go to such lengths and costs to win a victory over a company they have no control over means that they will be willing to go just as far for any other company.

It will make any company or individual not willing to relocate internationally consider carefully before messing with Blizzard's products. It won't stop cheats or hacks, but it will stop some cheats and hacks.

9. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 4, 2017, 12:30 jamiedj99

Blizzard should have let him keep the money and make him embed code in the cheats that report to blizzard the cheater. Then they can just auto-ban there accounts. It would be a win win all around for ever one the guy selling it blizzard and the players who get affect by cheaters  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo