Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month

WBIE and DC Entertainment announce that Batman: Arkham VR is coming to HTC VIVE and Oculus Rift on April 25th. This is already out for PlayStation VR and this announcement trailer shows off the PC edition. Here's the plan:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced that Batman™: Arkham VR is coming to HTC VIVE™ and Oculus Rift beginning April 25. Currently available for PlayStation®VR, Rocksteady Studios’ Batman: Arkham VR is a top-selling, BAFTA nominated virtual reality experience that takes place in the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham canon and is based on DC’s core Batman license.

Batman: Arkham VR is the first virtual reality experience to immerse players into the Dark Knight’s universe, putting them inside the Batman’s cowl like never before. PC players with HTC Vive and Oculus Rift hardware will now have the opportunity to experience Gotham City through the eyes of the World’s Greatest Detective, and delve deep into a tense Batman: Arkham mystery. Players will enter a virtual reality world where they must think like Batman and utilize his legendary gadgets, unraveling a plot that threatens the lives of his closest allies.

“Bringing Batman to VR was a very rewarding experience for us here at Rocksteady. The Dark Knight has always been an incredible character to work with due to his psychological depth, so it’s really exciting to use this immersive medium to delve deeper into his psyche than ever before” said Sefton Hill, Creative Director, Rocksteady Studios. “We’re thrilled that PC players can finally wear the cowl for themselves and take on the role of the World’s Greatest Detective with the addition of the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift versions.”

Batman: Arkham VR will support both the Oculus Touch and Vive Controllers, and also have full gamepad support on PC, including the PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller, Xbox One Controller and the Steam Controller.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 4, 2017, 10:18 RedEye9

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 18:55
uestion for the VR naysayers: have you actually tried it?

I got to try a Vive out for the first time at work on Friday and it was... cool, very cool. Once more fully realized games start coming out for it I suspect it will rapidly take over for any sort of game that is played in first-person, i.e. shooters, driving games, flight simulators, etc. There are reasons to be skeptical of VR, primarily economic, but the immersiveness and fidelity of the core VR experience isn't one of them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a System Shock game in VR. Or an Alien: Isolation sequel in VR.[/quote:

The naysayers are stuck in 1990 whining about how long the remake of Wing Commander is taking all the while not realizing that the future of gaming is VR, they can safely be ignored.

edit, 3rd time edited and it still don't appear properly on screen, that's why I'm not a programmer.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 19:07 Cutter

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 17:37:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 16:23:
I fully admit I'd love to be able to travel around a fully realized virtual Gotham.

Fully realized ANYTHING is pretty neat in VR. It can make "walking simulators" like Dear Esther into something very engaging.

I hit a pretty hard wall when trying my hand at VR development. There are tools that make it VERY easy to get an environment up and running, and tracking the handsets, but the rest...oh god. I've not written any code for like 15 years, and it's overwhelming. I can figure out modeling, and loading my models into the engine (I tried Unity), but even with tutorials, I can't get past that at all. I'm not going for complex; my first goal was to make a room and be able to teleport or hoverboard around it. Nooooope.

Maybe I'll try again next year. Tools will be even more robust, and I won't have wedding planning eating into most of my free time.

Nah. I want something huge and Gothic. The way they've fleshed out the city in the last 2 Bats games would be really cool to do virtually. It'd have to be a MMO to make it viable and alive too. Something like Snowcrash.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 3, 2017, 18:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Question for the VR naysayers: have you actually tried it?

I got to try a Vive out for the first time at work on Friday and it was... cool, very cool. Once more fully realized games start coming out for it I suspect it will rapidly take over for any sort of game that is played in first-person, i.e. shooters, driving games, flight simulators, etc. There are reasons to be skeptical of VR, primarily economic, but the immersiveness and fidelity of the core VR experience isn't one of them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a System Shock game in VR. Or an Alien: Isolation sequel in VR... *drool*

11. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 18:24 Kxmode

Quinn wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 14:40:
It's almost cute to see how much VR is still in its baby shoes xD

Yup! They grow up... eventually.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

10. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 18:21 Frijoles

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 17:37:
I can figure out modeling, and loading my models into the engine (I tried Unity), but even with tutorials, I can't get past that at all. I'm not going for complex; my first goal was to make a room and be able to teleport or hoverboard around it.

Have you tried this one for Vive? It was pretty straightforward when I played with it last. I've got my Touch working in Unity, but it took a lot of fiddling to make it work right. Most I can do at the moment is pick up a quad and throw it, or use the joystick to move.

9. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 17:37 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 16:23:
I fully admit I'd love to be able to travel around a fully realized virtual Gotham.

Fully realized ANYTHING is pretty neat in VR. It can make "walking simulators" like Dear Esther into something very engaging.

I hit a pretty hard wall when trying my hand at VR development. There are tools that make it VERY easy to get an environment up and running, and tracking the handsets, but the rest...oh god. I've not written any code for like 15 years, and it's overwhelming. I can figure out modeling, and loading my models into the engine (I tried Unity), but even with tutorials, I can't get past that at all. I'm not going for complex; my first goal was to make a room and be able to teleport or hoverboard around it. Nooooope.

Maybe I'll try again next year. Tools will be even more robust, and I won't have wedding planning eating into most of my free time.

8. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 16:41 saluk

Kind of cool, I guess. More interested in what people are going to do with Vive trackers though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrSfOfL674

7. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 16:23 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 14:40 Quinn

It's almost cute to see how much VR is still in its baby shoes xD  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

5. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 13:43 HoSpanky

El Pit wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 12:45:
Because of the impressive VR boom, this will sell like... Dozens. No, no, hundreds! HUNDREDS! I tell you!!!

Oh yes, I'm sure a new game console could survive if no one released any games for it out of saying there aren't many people with it. Chicken/egg problem.

As for this game in particular, it's supposedly quite good but very short with zero replay value. It seems to be a common theme, and I don't understand why no one's followed Vanishing Realms. That game proved that you could easily get away with GameCube artwork if the game is fun enough, and it's made by ONE GUY.

4. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 13:42 Drayth

I'll probably get a vive at some point. This gives me faith RE7 will get PC VR support eventually. Still haven't caved on getting a PS4. Don't know if I will. All they had to do is put a 4K Blu Ray player on it, but nooOOOOOooo...  

3. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 13:39 Kxmode

It's cute how the industry still thinks VR is a thing.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

2. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 12:45 El Pit

Because of the impressive VR boom, this will sell like... Dozens. No, no, hundreds! HUNDREDS! I tell you!!!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

1. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 12:10 Creston

"Note: We have tested this on our coffee machine, and verified it sort-of installed on our secretary's PC. There may be a few issues."  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo