Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely

This video captures a 2016 financial results conference webcast from CD PROJEKT Group, discussing their financial results. The proceedings are in Polish, but overlaid with an English translation. DSOGaming notes that they reveal that Cyberpunk 2077 is in full development, and there are now over 300 people working on the upcoming RPG. They won't commit to a 2017 release, however, sticking to previous statement that this is the year of GWENT. They also say there will not be another game in The Witcher trilogy, while also making it pretty apparent that they still plan on making another game using that setting:
The Witcher was designed as a trilogy. Trilogy cannot have a fourth part, however we like that world very much. We have invested 15 years of our lives and loads of money into it and we will probably think about it at some point. But please consider us as rational people, we sometimes have weird ideas, but overall our thinking is very rational. We have full rights to The Witcher games. They are ours. We have invested enormous funds into promoting it, and itís a very strong brand. Answer your own question :)

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Apr 1, 2017, 10:29 Beamer

Agent-Zero wrote on Apr 1, 2017, 09:59:
it doesnt have to be better... it just needs to be of equivalent quality

that alone destroys every other game in existence

regardless, im not sure why you wouldnt think they would be able to expand their winning formula to a new format - and im basing this on the record at hand.. i played and finished all the Witcher games, there is a very clear progression in terms of technical ability and game mechanics and so forth.. if they continue that trend, then its not a big leap to think that Cyberpunk will surpass W3 - especially considering the amount of dev time and size of the team they have devoted to it

sure anything can happen, but based on past events, its totally reasonable to expect them to succeed ...

frankly all the witcher games are better than most RPGs.. W3 just happened to be an epic home run - no need to expect lightning to strike twice, because these guys are just far more capable than every other RPG team out there already

They had three iterations of TW to find their footing and perfect. I wouldn't expect Cyberpunk to beat it in the first, especially given that moving to cities and firearms is less intuitive than wide open landscapes and swords. That's harder to get right.

Still expect it to be good (fantastic, actually), but I'd think the first won't be as strong as TW3 because it isn't standing on the shoulders of two prior entries. First ones almost always end up a bit sliced and diced as features get cut for timing that end up included (or merely refined and perfected) in sequels.

Regardless, tempered expectations aren't a bad thing, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Apr 1, 2017, 09:59 Agent-Zero

it doesnt have to be better... it just needs to be of equivalent quality

that alone destroys every other game in existence

regardless, im not sure why you wouldnt think they would be able to expand their winning formula to a new format - and im basing this on the record at hand.. i played and finished all the Witcher games, there is a very clear progression in terms of technical ability and game mechanics and so forth.. if they continue that trend, then its not a big leap to think that Cyberpunk will surpass W3 - especially considering the amount of dev time and size of the team they have devoted to it

sure anything can happen, but based on past events, its totally reasonable to expect them to succeed ...

frankly all the witcher games are better than most RPGs.. W3 just happened to be an epic home run - no need to expect lightning to strike twice, because these guys are just far more capable than every other RPG team out there already

24. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Apr 1, 2017, 08:01 Nailbender

Xero wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 22:58:
I'll support whatever CDPR decides to do, but I doubt they can ever top Witcher 3.

Exactly. Which is why them and everyone else expecting so much MORE from Cyberpunk 2077 is... dangerous, and doesn't bode well for it. Can't the expectation level stay in the "a really good game" level?

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2017, 01:30 Yifes

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:09:
There is always the possibility that Sapkowski will write some more Witcher novels, or at least novels set in the same universe.

Considering that Sapkowski consider the games akin to fan fiction and doesn't take them seriously, and that he has a very different take on the ending of the books, there's very little chance that the storylines can ever reconcile.

22. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 22:58 Xero

Oh god I would love another Witcher. My life has been empty since I beat Witcher 3 and the DLCs. I had been hooked on it Since May 2016 until early February when I finally beat it. Just about playing it every day straight. What an experience. I'll never experience something like that again, for sure.

I'll support whatever CDPR decides to do, but I doubt they can ever top Witcher 3.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

21. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 21:03 OpticNerve

It's probably gonna end up being MORE Witcher 3 DLC Expansions because they simply don't want me to ever finish Witcher 3  

20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 19:12 heroin

You can blame CD Projekt Red for ruining Bioware's rep beyond repair, lol. When DA:I came out, people praised it. It was good, definitely not great but good. Once Witcher 3 came out - everyone instantly hated DA:I, they raised the bar passed the next level, even the Blood and Wine DLC is better than most games. Can't wait for Cyberpunk.  

19. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 17:45 Tipsy McStagger

chickenboo wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 17:19:
I had the opposite experience: exploring in Skellige was great. I loved sailing to tiny islands off the beaten path and finding some village with a unique problem, like the one with the stone tower that had just appeared on a nearby hill, out of the blue. There was another island with a huge decaying fortress with an easter egg down at the bottom. Another island far to the south east had a hidden cache and a Cyclops guarding it. I enjoyed all these encounters and I liked that they were all unique -- Skyrim's dungeons/caves tend to look very samey in contrast.

I understand his pain.. I skipped most of them after realizing it was killing my fun.

Ugh.. The Skellige (?) unknown points of interest in the ocean were all horribly tedious to get.. How many drowners do I need to crossbow in the face to get a crappy chest?

18. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 17:19 chickenboo

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 13:51:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:24:
Haven't finished Witcher 3 yet (too many damn ?'s on the Skele Isles made me take a long break).

But Witcher goodness with some Shadowrun.... CD Projekt... please choose which kidney or other organ you'd like to have this game out in 2017.

Fortunately, by that point I was kind of very compulsive ? hunting, but the few I went for in the Skeles were not worthwhile, fully killing it.

I actually think that, for several reasons, exploring was significantly less rewarding in The Witcher than in the Bethesda games. But the writing was so massively better. Geralt was absolutely one of the most well defined and deep characters I've seen in a game, and everything was handled so well around him.

I had the opposite experience: exploring in Skellige was great. I loved sailing to tiny islands off the beaten path and finding some village with a unique problem, like the one with the stone tower that had just appeared on a nearby hill, out of the blue. There was another island with a huge decaying fortress with an easter egg down at the bottom. Another island far to the south east had a hidden cache and a Cyclops guarding it. I enjoyed all these encounters and I liked that they were all unique -- Skyrim's dungeons/caves tend to look very samey in contrast.

I did find some repetition in Toussaint's caves, but it didn't bother me all that much.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2017, 14:06 Bundy

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:09:
There is always the possibility that Sapkowski will write some more Witcher novels, or at least novels set in the same universe.

He sure left a lot of money on the table selling the rights for a one time payment. Poor bastard.

16. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 13:54 Fion

I haven't finished Witcher 3 + it's massive DLCs yet either. I'm at the end of the main title (or every near it) but I haven't started either of the DLCs. Mostly because I thought it the last and just didn't want it to end.

Hoped for Ciri spinoff maybe?

Seriously hyped for Cyberpunk 2077. Even though we haven't even seen it yet lol. If it's half as good as Witcher 3 it'll be a high quality & memorable title.

15. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 13:51 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:24:
Haven't finished Witcher 3 yet (too many damn ?'s on the Skele Isles made me take a long break).

But Witcher goodness with some Shadowrun.... CD Projekt... please choose which kidney or other organ you'd like to have this game out in 2017.

Fortunately, by that point I was kind of very compulsive ? hunting, but the few I went for in the Skeles were not worthwhile, fully killing it.

I actually think that, for several reasons, exploring was significantly less rewarding in The Witcher than in the Bethesda games. But the writing was so massively better. Geralt was absolutely one of the most well defined and deep characters I've seen in a game, and everything was handled so well around him.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 13:23 Bumpy

I got my eye on you, Cyberpunk 2077, bionic even.

Video main image reminds me of EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

13. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 13:14 Cutter

Seeing as the stories were all mostly short stories there's no reason it has to be a sprawling epic. It could easily just be a series of vignettes. Slices of Geralt's life and adventures over the decades. In fact that might be even more interesting. Being able to go through the Trial of Grasses as a boy, some of his early adventures and such that were always alluded to but never fleshed out. You could certainly incorporate more story with the secondary characters - Zoltan, Dandelion, and some of the other Witchers as well. The possibilities are endless. Either way, so long as it's of the quality of W3 I'm fucking down like a clown Charlie Brown. Yeah, it would be a definite pre-order CE affair for me for sure.

Meantime I'm pretty fucking amped for Cy 2077 too. Can't wait to see what they do with that.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 12:14 El Pit

Creston wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:33:
Then again, we're looking at, what, 2021 or so, probably, before we see another Witcher game? Maybe it'll be VR at that point.

In 2021 VR will have gone the way of the dodo. But maybe 3D will be back.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

11. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 12:02 NetHead

I'm also looking forward to Cyberpunk, I guess, to be more accurate I'm looking forward to more information on it. If it ends up with multi-player this and that my interest will go down considerably, possibly even to a "wait and see" level.

As for the Witcher, it's tempting to want them to go with, and for them to go with, things like Ciri or other existing characters. Though honestly I don't think that would be the best way to do it. Something of a fresh start story and character wise would be better.

So much has happened in that world that we only get to read or hear about, some very interesting past events. Now I'm not saying they should go back to the Conjunction of the Spheres, though that could be interesting I think they should stick to it being Witcher related or rather centered.

There's so much in the past that has potential. Like when Witchers were still being trained at Kaer Morhen, becoming one and going on The Path for a more personal than political journey. Or getting to see and find out more about the Vran and events around Loc Muinne.

I think it would be disappointing if they went with Ciri, or any current character or events to continue a story which has ended. Good stories need to end.

I don't even know that much about the past lore, though even from what little I do know the past is far more tantalising than dragging existing characters along just for the sake of it.

10. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 11:18 Tipsy McStagger

Creston wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:33:
Yeah, I hope they stick with Geralt. He's such an iconic, cool character that going with a different one is just going to feel like a disappointment in comparison, although Ciri could at least be cool.

Personally, I don't think they need to stick with Geralt. They can do any of the witchers geralt shared the school of the wolf with.

Young Vesimir would be a great story for example.. Vesimir has lost lots of pupils and he became jaded about it. It would make a great story about him trying to save one of his pupils as an example.

Can have other characters like the school of the snake and their downfall, or school of the bear griffin and their collapse.. Got LOTS to work with.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2017, 11:00 Flatline

Task wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 09:56:
Both of those things are good news!

I'm guessing the future Witcher games will be focused on expanding Ciri's adventure. That one witch got away stole her pendant.

Excited to see their take on Cyber Punk.

The moral ambiguity of the Witcher series plays very well into the cyberpunk genre. I'm curious too if they're going to fully embrace the idiosyncrasies of the old Cyberpunk RPG. They dropped a lot of references to the game into the background so I'm kind of hoping for straight up 80's inspired punk rockers trying to take down the system with a gun in one hand and a guitar in the other as a "Thing".

I also hope they call the hardest difficulty "Friday Night Firefight". That was a brutal combat system.

8. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 10:33 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:21:
A game around Ciri would be fun, but TW3 wrapped everything up so well. I only played TW3 but still felt like it was a great sendoff to a great character. Not sure what more I'd want. You can't really change the ending, a prequel doesn't really help make Geralt super famous and powerful, as he starts not there (kind of there), and he's such a great character I feel it'd be hard to make a new central character without trying to Xerox him...

Please, please, no Dandelion anything. Just pretend he didn't exist.

Yeah, I hope they stick with Geralt. He's such an iconic, cool character that going with a different one is just going to feel like a disappointment in comparison, although Ciri could at least be cool.

Then again, we're looking at, what, 2021 or so, probably, before we see another Witcher game? Maybe it'll be VR at that point.

7. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 in Full Development; More Witcher Games Likely Mar 31, 2017, 10:25 Asmodai

Fucking woot, was hoping Cyberpunk hadn't gone the way of Half Life 3!  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >