Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads

HTC is introducing "Innovative VR Ads" for the VIVE head-mounted display, saying these ads will feature eye-tracking technology. Gamasutra points the way to this page with details on what they say is an opt-in program for free-to-play titles. Here's word from the barebones page with some appropriate spaces added to correct what seems to be a text parsing issue:

Unprecedented user experience
Innovative VR ADs are similar to native ads 3.0, offering an unprecedented ad viewing experience, delivering immersive VR environment on cinema-scale screens, and offering interactive elements to further promote user engagement. Therefore, VR Advertising is not simply an interruption, but a synonym of exceptional experience!

Maximize your advertising revenue
Ads that appear in immersive VR environments can not only provide more effective impressions, they can also track whether the users have viewed them or have turned away their gaze. Accordingly, the multiplied effect of effective impressions and verified viewings will bring you higher advertising revenue!

Potent and effective ad impressions
Compared to ordinary Ad impressions, Ads that are seen by users in a immersive VR environment can not only meet the userís needs by means of precise re-targeting, but can also be detected if they are viewed effectively by users. Therefore, promotion of your applications would have much more effective impression, which not only arouses the attention of potential users and enhance brand image, but further attracts interested users directly to download your apps in the VR environment!

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Apr 1, 2017, 04:01 saluk

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 17:38:
Not long before "opt-in" is mandatory. Gee, I get to pay for a product and be tracked by advertisers! It's even better than cable TV!...said no one ever. Annnnd another nail in the VR coffin is hammered in.

Or just like, don't download the HTC software and stick to Valve?

Got any good peanuts up there?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 31, 2017, 19:19 Scottish Martial Arts

I finally got to try a Vive at work today. Apparently I had been at my desk for nearly two weeks now without realizing that a VR room was literally closer than the nearest coffee maker (which itself is really close by). I gave The Lab a try, playing with the robot dog who walks around in the initial entry area, and then playing the archery mini game. It was an... impressive experience. The depth perception was spot on, and once I got the hang of the hand controllers, manipulating objects in the environment felt very natural. While the archery mini-game was just that, a mini-game, it was genuinely fun, and the intuitiveness of it all and the sense of really "being there" was palpable. When genuine games start coming out for VR, these things will be a must buy. I can't imagine how cool a System Shock or Ultima Underworld like game would be in VR...  

11. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 17:44 Saboth

"offering an unprecedented ad viewing experience" I haven't been this excited in a loooooong time!  

10. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 17:38 Cutter

Not long before "opt-in" is mandatory. Gee, I get to pay for a product and be tracked by advertisers! It's even better than cable TV!...said no one ever. Annnnd another nail in the VR coffin is hammered in.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

9. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 17:29 Slick

Frijoles wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 11:55:
VaranDragon wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 11:03:
What is this magic you speak of? What performance gains, how? Got any links?

Video is a couple years old but shows how it works: Foveated Rendering with eye tracking

This tech, hopefully with some more advanced optics that don't blur the peripheral vision, would be great. I mean, there's not much point in rendering the periphery right now, even without eye tracking :/

I wonder if curved oled panels would solve this?

Then make it wireless, and a whole lot lighter, and you'll have the ultimate iteration of this first wave of VR.

Anyone else hyped about the upcoming movie "Ready Player One"? xD

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

8. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 16:47 Frijoles

Nut wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 14:39:
you'll find that a huge majority of the regulars there will suggest that you "uninstall all the Vive software as crap" (meaning as distinct from SteamVR, at least).

Viveport (the HTC software) is crap. /r/Vive was suggesting to remove it even before this. It's buggy and adds overhead that you don't need. Although it did hook up with your phone, and that was cool. But the install and setup process was hit or miss. Took me several attempts to get it working, and then I never used it. I uninstalled it after finding out it wasn't necessary.

7. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 14:47 Bundy

Nut wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 14:39:
Bundy wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 14:26:
The lack of outrage from the Vive fanboys is rather humourous. If it had been Oculus, they'd be lighting torches.

At least as far as the /r/Vive subreddit is concerned, you made a false assumption.

It's full of a lot of upset people, and you'll find that a huge majority of the regulars there will suggest that you "uninstall all the Vive software as crap" (meaning as distinct from SteamVR, at least).

There's understandably a pretty solid amount of hate at the idea of view-tracked VR ads.

Apologies, my assumption came from a few other VR tech blogs I visit. They've been suspiciously silent there.

6. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 14:39 Nut

Bundy wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 14:26:
The lack of outrage from the Vive fanboys is rather humourous. If it had been Oculus, they'd be lighting torches.

At least as far as the /r/Vive subreddit is concerned, you made a false assumption.

It's full of a lot of upset people, and you'll find that a huge majority of the regulars there will suggest that you "uninstall all the Vive software as crap" (meaning as distinct from SteamVR, at least).

There's understandably a pretty solid amount of hate at the idea of view-tracked VR ads.

5. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 14:26 Bundy

Yeah the gains would come from only needing to do detailed rendering one the objects your eyes are looking directly at. It would come with some overhead from the program that has to manage that, but would be more than made up for with the gains. Future stuff, it looks good. The ad stuff is a thing of nightmares though. Reminds me of that particular Black Mirror episode where if you close your eyes or look away from an ad, the ad will pause and let out a high pitch squeal until you give in and stare at it.

For as much flack as Facebook gets with their advertising base and owning Oculus, I'm a little surprised HTC came up with this first. The lack of outrage from the Vive fanboys is rather humourous. If it had been Oculus, they'd be lighting torches.

4. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 11:55 Frijoles

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 11:03:

Video is a couple years old but shows how it works: Foveated Rendering with eye tracking

3. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 11:03 VaranDragon

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 10:22:
This isn't eye tracking, it's head tracking. The Vive has no capacity to track focus. With the huge benefits it offers, the NEXT Vive likely will, and along with foveated rendering, to allow for some rather huge performance gains. Possibly large enough gains to offset an increase in resolution.

2. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 11:01 Frijoles

Isn't this also running under the HTC software? I uninstalled that garbage and just use SteamVR.  

1. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Mar 31, 2017, 10:22 HoSpanky

This isn't eye tracking, it's head tracking. The Vive has no capacity to track focus. With the huge benefits it offers, the NEXT Vive likely will, and along with foveated rendering, to allow for some rather huge performance gains. Possibly large enough gains to offset an increase in resolution.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo