Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher Sells 25M Copies

There's a 2016 financial results summary on the CD PROJEKT website with financial reporting for the Polish developer and publisher (thanks DSOGaming). This includes word that sales of The Witcher series have surpassed the 25 million mark. Here's a comment on that from Adam Kiciński, President of CD PROJEKT:

For years we have consistently prioritized quality and focused on a limited range of products. The persistently strong sales of the entire The Witcher series vindicate our approach and contribute to long-term appeal of our releases. Between the launch of The Witcher in 2007 and the end of 2016 we have sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. removed May 6, 2017, 11:56 free4download

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 6, 2017, 12:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 31, 2017, 11:14 Creston

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 00:54:
Kinda-almost wondered if he'd make an appearance in 3, but I continued from my save game, having killed him. Probably didn't make much difference, I imagine...

He does show up in 3 if you let him live. It's a cool mission in its own right, and then you can convince him to join your crew at Kaer Morhen too.

35. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 31, 2017, 09:28 NetHead

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 00:54:
FUCK Letho, man! That piece of shit. I killed his ass and I fucking felt a massive wave of relief and joy from it. I wished I had a shoulder mounted rocket launcher for his fucking dickhead ass.

lol. Also killed him, in all but one playthrough. He had it coming.

34. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 31, 2017, 09:28 Verno

One of the best games I've ever played. After Blood & Wine I admit I felt a bit empty, its that same sense you get from a good book where you think to yourself "Whats next?". They did such a great job on the last game, I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.  
Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse

33. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 31, 2017, 00:54 ForgedReality

Flatline wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 15:49:
Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:38:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:04:
Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 10:51:
Definitely well deserved. I will say I was disappointed with the Witcher 2 - the story was weak and the boss battles were frickin' frustrating - but I loved the first and third. The Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've ever played.

Letho of Gulet is still one of my favorite characters of all time. Which is why I think Witcher 2 was amazing.

Oh definitely. The characters were all incredibly interesting, particularly Letho.I let him live at the end because I totally empathized with his cause. The story in 2 was what disappointed me, or maybe the way it was told.

I killed him because he got me into enough trouble to fill a swimming pool.

I did sit down, have a drink with him, and commiserate with him for a while though before we came to hostilities. That fight was more of a "you got this coming" than an "I'm going to enjoy this" moment. And really, he seemed to agree.

FUCK Letho, man! That piece of shit. I killed his ass and I fucking felt a massive wave of relief and joy from it. I wished I had a shoulder mounted rocket launcher for his fucking dickhead ass.

Kinda-almost wondered if he'd make an appearance in 3, but I continued from my save game, having killed him. Probably didn't make much difference, I imagine...

32. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 21:15 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 17:39:
Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:00:
jamiedj99 wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:50:
if you look close at the wording that 25 million of all the witcher games together.

I don't think a single person had trouble noticing that.

No, and even so, it's heavily backloaded. Witcher 3 is the lion's share of those sales.

Yup, which is why I'm not concerned it's only 25M. It wasn't a particularly well known or well regarded property prior. The first one seems to have been considered just ok, but pretty good for where it came from, but it grew with each iteration.

3 is probably the best written game I've played that wasn't about plot (e.g., Telltale-type games.) Geralt walks the line of being a stubborn dick and a charismatic leader perfectly. You get why people are attracted to him and want to be around him. Some things he says are dickish, some insightful, and some empathetic. Great writing and acting. Probably the single most memorable character for me, or at least the one with the most depth. I jumped in at 3 and was ready to endlessly mock the love triangle but ended up actually caring about him, his partners, and who he ended up with (and why.)

CD Projekt has a fan for life from 1 game. Fanboy, probably.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 17:39 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:00:
if you look close at the wording that 25 million of all the witcher games together.

No, and even so, it's heavily backloaded. Witcher 3 is the lion's share of those sales.

30. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 17:37 Creston

Nullity wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:17:
Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:28:
Nullity wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:09:
Good news! They've already confirmed they have another Witcher game planned.

They have? News to me. Source, please?

I can't remember where I read it, so I've been doing a bit of digging. This is about as close as I can find (with a bunch of other similar articles), which means it looks like everyone was jumping the gun a bit, including myself.

I apologize for getting everyone's hopes up.

Nah, I kind of figured you'd just been hopeful and had read more into something than what it really said. And if you did actually have something I missed that would have been awesome, so no worries.

29. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 16:54 NetHead

Frankly they deserve more than 25 milling sales for the entire Witcher franchise. All the more when considering sales of certain other games which can't complete on either quality or size compared to Witcher 3.

28. LOL Mar 30, 2017, 16:46 Darth Guybrush

Andrzej Sapkowski must be kicking himself he asked for an up-front fee and not royalties.  

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

27. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 15:51 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 11:58:
That's win covered in awesome sauce right there. I just wish they'd do another one. Hell, do a prequel or assemblage of tales. Anyway, really amped to see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077.

Agreed. I want Cyberpunk 2077 more than I can describe.

26. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 15:49 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:38:
Definitely well deserved. I will say I was disappointed with the Witcher 2 - the story was weak and the boss battles were frickin' frustrating - but I loved the first and third. The Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've ever played.

Letho of Gulet is still one of my favorite characters of all time. Which is why I think Witcher 2 was amazing.

Oh definitely. The characters were all incredibly interesting, particularly Letho.I let him live at the end because I totally empathized with his cause. The story in 2 was what disappointed me, or maybe the way it was told.

I killed him because he got me into enough trouble to fill a swimming pool.

I did sit down, have a drink with him, and commiserate with him for a while though before we came to hostilities. That fight was more of a "you got this coming" than an "I'm going to enjoy this" moment. And really, he seemed to agree.

25. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 15:47 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:26:
Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 11:30:
I've wanted to read the Witcher stories for some time but haven't done it yet. Are the English translation books hard to find?

They're all available on the Kindle store. The last one just came out, too.

Warning, Witcher 3's writing is substantially better than the books'. (Andrez Sawpkwosisksji is exploding somewhere right now.) Geralt is kind of a whiny bitch in books 4, 5 and 6, and overall not much even HAPPENS in books 4, 5 and 6. So far, I've been somewhat disappointed in them, but that's due to the game being so freaking awesome.

Agreed. The writing, especially by the time of Witcher 3, is really good.

If you're coy about jumping in, at least read The Last Wish. It's an anthology of short stories, including one that has it's finality in Witcher 3 (specifically, The Last Wish. It fleshes out Yennifer's relationship with Geralt enough to make more sense why they have this weird edge to them).

It is an interesting twist on old classic fairy tales. First book is easily worth recommending.

24. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 14:38 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 14:20 Muscular Beaver

Nullity wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 14:17:

I can't remember where I read it, so I've been doing a bit of digging. This is about as close as I can find (with a bunch of other similar articles), which means it looks like everyone was jumping the gun a bit, including myself.

In any case, I highly doubt they wouldnt do another Witcher game.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

22. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 14:17 Nullity

21. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 14:00 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 13:57 WaltC

Witcher 3, one of the best games--if not the very best game--I have ever played. W1 has a nice atmosphere and is fun--W2 is OK--but both of those suffer from bottlenecks--like timed sequences, etc.--that are mostly twitch-fests rather than all story and atmosphere, like W3. These guys put "Enhanced Edition" on the map...and been copied a hundred times, but never duplicated...;) Picking up the expansions for W3 really rounds out Geralt completely, imo...Toussant (Blood & Wine?), imo, is the better of the two expansions! But there's some completely off-the-wall and unexpected stuff in Hearts of Stone that will keep you in stitches...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

19. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 13:50 jamiedj99

18. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 30, 2017, 13:41 Cutter

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 12:00:
Every time I see a Witcher post, I remember that I still haven't picked up the expansions. Steam has the GOTY edition with both of them for a little under what they cost standalone, but my copy is on GOG. Not that I'd complain about being able to run it on Steam.

I hear good things about the expansions, but good GOD the base game was CRAZY huge, and eventually I stopped doing all the side quests and zeroed in on the main story instead. I know I missed out on a bunch of side stuff, there are some embarrassingly large areas of unexplored land left. I WANT to go back, but then HZD came out. And now BotW. Sometimes I really miss the days when there was only one or two big games per year, and I'd have time to really dig into them.

The second one isn't so much DLC as a full on expansion. And yes, you *must* play them. They're sofa king good!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo