Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free

The StarCraft website officially announces StarCraft Remastered, following some hints that an updated version of the real-time strategy game was in the offing. There is an announcement trailer looking at the game's history and showing off how it looks remastered in glorious 4K resolution, and concluding with word to expect this in the summer. In addition to remastered graphics, the new version of the game will also include revised dialogue and audio and Blizzard friends and matchmaking. As explained in this forum thread, the original version of the game will be offered for free after the release of the remastered version, which will be a premium upgrade you can purchase, also noting that the SD and 4K versions will be able to play with each other. Here's more on the plan:

StarCraft® Remastered upgrades the essential sci-fi strategy experience from beginning to end. Welcome back to the original game and its award-winning expansion, StarCraft: Brood War.

We’ve remastered our units, buildings, and environments, improved game audio, and broadened our supported resolutions. Illustrated interludes bring the struggles and victories of heroes like Artanis, Fenix, Tassadar, Raynor and Kerrigan to life like never before. Most importantly, the strategy gameplay that StarCraft perfected years ago remains unchanged.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 28, 2017, 15:00 Verno

Eh... Blizzard seems to have trouble coming out with new IP and new concepts. They have this core of Starcraft/Diablo/Warcraft and they kind of have tossed all the intellectual concepts into a blender and hit puree for the last 15 years or so.

For the past 15-20 years they've pretty much been all about refinement. That's pretty much their deal, take existing thing and make it accessible and enjoyable. They also stand behind their games and give practically unheard of support in the industry.

Blizzard is an outstanding company, we should be so lucky to have a dozen others like them.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 28, 2017, 07:48 Suppa7

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 10:56:
Frankly seeing posts like yours reminds me what an ungrateful bunch gamers can be.

If anything gamers are fucking angels of light...

Gamers successfully bent over for every policy a game corporation can want...

-Gamers paid for mmo's, a game they never own paving the way for Steam drm and always online drm

-Gamers paid for DLC and seasons passes

-Gamers paid for flags to show skins in MOBA's like league of legends (which is basically fraud for anyone with any inkling of how computers work)

If anything gamers are probably entitled to be treated with more respect given the profitability of game companies and the degree of niceness the show buy constantly buying half-baked, broken and buggy games.

Now those of us with intelligence know the average gamer is stupid, but to say gamers are 'entitled' when they've supported the game industry through thick and thin even when they are being treated like total dog shit, is a bit much.

32. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 28, 2017, 07:15 Overon

I'm not new. Any very popular PC game can get some relatively minor modifications and rereleased. I'm surprised Half Life and other franchises of similar popularity haven't already.  

31. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 14:34 edaciousx

Hearthstone and overwatch are by far huge wins for blizzard. Don't forget about that other one, the battle arena one. forgot what it's called.  

30. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 12:30 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 10:56:
Mordhaus wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 16:56:
The Blizzard I remember wouldn't re-release a game, they had standards.

Blizzard has a long history of packing up their games and re-releasing them, this is just the first remaster and there is no issue with them doing so. Work went into this, they didn't just apply a filter and call it a day.

Frankly seeing posts like yours reminds me what an ungrateful bunch gamers can be. Blizzard provides absolutely stellar support for their products and should be praised as an industry leader in this regard. I guess it's ok to just hate on Blizzard because Diablo 3 wasn't everyones favorite cup of tea though.

Eh... Blizzard seems to have trouble coming out with new IP and new concepts. They have this core of Starcraft/Diablo/Warcraft and they kind of have tossed all the intellectual concepts into a blender and hit puree for the last 15 years or so.

Overwatch is moderately original for Blizzard, but doesn't really cover any new intellectual or gameplay ground. It's still basically Team Fortress. And if you scratch the surface, you still find paladin auras and shit from the 90's in it.

I just don't get excited by Blizzard products any more. And that makes me sad more than angry.

Still, kudos to them for updating Starcraft to run on modern systems and releasing the original version for free. And kudos to them for making both versions cooperate with each other. That's pretty cool.

29. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 10:56 Verno

Blizzard has a long history of packing up their games and re-releasing them, this is just the first remaster and there is no issue with them doing so. Work went into this, they didn't just apply a filter and call it a day.

Frankly seeing posts like yours reminds me what an ungrateful bunch gamers can be. Blizzard provides absolutely stellar support for their products and should be praised as an industry leader in this regard. I guess it's ok to just hate on Blizzard because Diablo 3 wasn't everyones favorite cup of tea though.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

28. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 10:41 Yifes

Uh, Warcraft II Battle.net Edition?

27. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 27, 2017, 10:38 Yifes

Overon wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 00:30:
This is a brilliant marketing move. Resell an old game after putting in minimum amount of resources into it to enhance it as justification for reselling it.

Watch this become a trend if the sales are good. Companies cannot pass up opportunities to reselling games after some minimum enhancements.

Age of Empires HD
Baldur's Gate 1/2 Enhanced Edition
Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Duck Tales Remastered
Homeworld Remastered
Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition
Super Street fighter II HD
Monkey Island SE
Double Dragon HD
etc.

Not to mention all the re-releases every time a new gen of console comes out.

You must be new to gaming if you think this isn't already a trend or some brilliant move on Blizzard's part.

26. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 27, 2017, 09:45 Peter M. Smith

Overon wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 00:30:
This is a brilliant marketing move. Resell an old game after putting in minimum amount of resources into it to enhance it as justification for reselling it.

Watch this become a trend if the sales are good. Companies cannot pass up opportunities to reselling games after some minimum enhancements.

I believe Homeworld/Homeworld 2 would be a more appropriate choice as the trend setter. StarCraft would simply be following the trend.

25. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 07:58 Redmask

I played this for hundreds of hours so the least I can do is give them some more money. Looks fucking solid.  

24. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 07:37 Burrito of Peace

I would be interested in it were it free. It is not so I am not.  

23. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 06:11 Jackplug

They must be really stuck for ideas.  

22. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 04:47 Mordhaus

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 22:03:
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I wonder if Pepperidge Farm remembers when Bioware used to make good games?

21. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 27, 2017, 02:47 VaranDragon

No APM to play this anymore anyway.  

20. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 27, 2017, 00:30 Overon

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2017, 09:29.

19. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 26, 2017, 22:36 JeffD

Satoru wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 21:41:

That's not how this works

That's not how any of this works!

Tell that to all the modders who were doing just that... for free.

18. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 26, 2017, 22:03 RedEye9

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

17. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 26, 2017, 21:41 Satoru

JeffD wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 21:17:
Who said anything about remaking game engines? We have the perfect engine already! Starcraft 2! This should have been a simple mix of reused assets and new assets to remake starcraft 1.. minus needing to remake cut scenes (not that we wouldn't want to see that). I would bet real money that the amount of work to make starcraft 2 into starcraft 1 would have been about the same amount of work as using a completely different engine (again.. I don't know if its new.. but when was the last time blizzard made a 2d engine?) that uses todays video modes and the high resolution sprites which also need to be drawn IN 3D!!!

That's not how this works

That's not how any of this works!

16. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 26, 2017, 21:17 JeffD

Xero wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 20:45:
\
Of course it's still going to be 2D. If they were going to invest into completely remaking the game engine, why even bother with Starcraft 2?

Who said anything about remaking game engines? We have the perfect engine already! Starcraft 2! This should have been a simple mix of reused assets and new assets to remake starcraft 1.. minus needing to remake cut scenes (not that we wouldn't want to see that). I would bet real money that the amount of work to make starcraft 2 into starcraft 1 would have been about the same amount of work as using a completely different engine (again.. I don't know if its new.. but when was the last time blizzard made a 2d engine?) that uses todays video modes and the high resolution sprites which also need to be drawn IN 3D!!!

I would have been interested in it had it been like SC2.. even todays SC2 looks awesome. This... this just looks like shit. Oh sure I'm sure hardcore SC fans will fart around in it for a while.. but it could have been so much more.

15. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 26, 2017, 20:45 Xero

JeffD wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 17:21:
odd... its still 2d? .... why? its like star craft 2 but shit animation.

Of course it's still going to be 2D. If they were going to invest into completely remaking the game engine, why even bother with Starcraft 2?

Starcraft 1 is still widely the top eSport game in South Korea. Basically if it ain't broke why fix it? While they make do with dealing with it the way it currently is, I'm sure eSport and fans in general of Starcraft 1 won't mind an update. This is moreso for the diehard players still at it vs the ones that have no idea about it and are just getting on board and only know Starcraft from Starcraft 2.

Currently playing: Counter Strike Go, The Witcher 3, Shadow Tactics

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo