Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

etc.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: etc. Mar 25, 2017, 12:54 NetHead

Fion wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 14:19:
There's a great video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPkl14dAAU) - a let's play - on Extra Credit of witcher 3 by a guy who clearly is part of the industry...

The comments following 7:47 made me laugh.
https://youtu.be/NFPkl14dAAU?t=7m46s

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 22:22 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 14:49:
yonder wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 13:54:
Please ignore ME1 and ME2 as examples of what happens when you put forth the effort as we were under different management then. Thank you.

EA owned them for ME2.

October 11, 2007 - BioWare became a unit of EA
Early 2008 - Development of Mass Effect 2 started

Matter of months (3,4?). Pretty sure BioWare hadn't been entrenched in the EA ethos long enough to have any negative impact on ME2. They were a virgin acquisition. You know games take years to develop, and many begin as ideas long before mergers and acquisitions happen. EA didn't cancel ME2 in the way Disney did for 1313 after acquiring the LucasX properties.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. removed Mar 24, 2017, 16:49 Agent-Zero

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 24, 2017, 17:59.

11. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 16:03 jdreyer

Andromeda dev: We need to get some actors in so we can get a bunch of mo cap samples as the basis for our proc gen algorithm.

Dev manager: Since we waited to the end to do this, there's no time. Also, all the voice actors are on strike.
* pulls out sock puppet *
Just put some dots on this, put your hand in the sock, and mo cap it for the algorithm basis. Should be fine.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 15:55 Task

So I'm trying to decide on what level Andromeda is as far as 'not giving a fuck'

Aliens Colonial Marines or Fallout 4?

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

9. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 14:49 Creston

Please ignore ME1 and ME2 as examples of what happens when you put forth the effort as we were under different management then. Thank you.

EA owned them for ME2.

8. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 14:47 Creston

They just couldn't be arsed. Oh, but animations cost money!

This whole "they ran out of time" thing is bullshit anyway, as

A) They had five fucking years.
B) Ryder is often one of the least animated characters. Since Ryder is the one I'm staring at the whole time, maybe at least do THAT one?

So yeah, no. Nice try making a former employee attempt to take the heat off, Bioware, but it doesn't fly.

Obligatory: Game is still lots of fun anyway.
Obligatory: Witcher 3 did it with an algorithm and it looks fucking amazing.

Somewhere at Bioware, someone is reading that pcgamer article, and this section in particular

CD Projekt wanted decisions in The Witcher 3 to feel meaningful, and for them to feel meaningful players needed to form emotional attachments with the characters. They wanted to be able to sell drama by showing it, not by telling you up front a scene was supposed to be emotional. Writing 101, essentially.

and is going "WUH???" Drool

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2017, 15:02.

7. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 14:19 Fion

There's a great video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPkl14dAAU) - a let's play - on Extra Credit of witcher 3 by a guy who clearly is part of the industry and how the games animation algorithm is so impressive and the difference between scenes done by the hand and those that the algorithm produced. (Watch the first 10m of the video or so).

Now taking the words of this former-bioware employee, that they let the algorithm do all the non-combat dialog scenes and underestimated how many they would need touched up or hand-animated. Shows just how much less impressive their animation toolset & algorithm is. The guys/gals who did DA:I clearly took more time with it than the ME:A team did.

6. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 14:02 Flatline

Short version: It's more complicated and takes more time/effort. Please ignore ME1 and ME2 as examples of what happens when you put forth the effort as we were under different management then. Thank you.

Almost. He said it looks like they dialed back the procedural generation for C (and possibly B) tier animations because they probably expected to hand-tune it and ran out of time. ME1 & ME2 used a more robust procedural generation technique because they acknowledged that they didn't have time to hand-polish every scene.

5. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 13:58 NetHead

Frijoles wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 12:42:
Biggest issue I have with the animations is the eyes. They bounce all over the place. And they feel like they're floating in the socket. There's other janky animations going on also, but the eyes distract me. And the main character's face never changing. Bleh.

The eyes are shocking.

I remember watching one scene and it appeared as if they had mo-capped the voice actor and recorded their eye movement while reading their lines from a sheet of paper. Their eyes doing the whole,, move right, move right, move right, JUMP left, repeat..

I'm not saying that's what happened and I refuse to believe anyone is so stupid to have done that. It's just that it's so bad you end up watching it and thinking about that instead of what's being said, though what's being said is so cringe worthy most of the time which doesn't help avoid your mind wondering.

They continually wonder around instead of aiming at the thing/person they should be. If their head and body moved during a conversation their eyes should remain locked on what has their attention. This is par for the course kind of stuff nevermind for a AAA game. Even Mass Effect 1 wipes the floor with ME Andromeda with this.

The eyes are a mess from start to finish, beyond their animation. The textures are inexcusable, one could point to cheap indie games as examples or even decade old games, but you don't even have to as random monkeys online have "ms-pained" them as examples of how to do it better.

The eyes also don't focus, this was blatant the first time I saw that talking fish wearing makeup. They remain set, like two lasers remaining exactly parallel as if focusing on a distant star, constantly, soullessly starting through everything.

4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 13:54 yonder

Short version: It's more complicated and takes more time/effort. Please ignore ME1 and ME2 as examples of what happens when you put forth the effort as we were under different management then. Thank you.  

3. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 12:42 Frijoles

Biggest issue I have with the animations is the eyes. They bounce all over the place. And they feel like they're floating in the socket. There's other janky animations going on also, but the eyes distract me. And the main character's face never changing. Bleh.  

2. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 12:20 RedEye9

Former Mass Effect animator explains Andromeda's animation problems with beautiful clarity honesty.
ftfy

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

1. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 11:58 Jagacademy

"Beautiful clarity"

That's a stretch.

He essentially just said "They originally intended to do this, but then realized it was going to take too much time, so released crap instead."

That's not clarity.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo