Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta

GOG.com announces the end of beta testing for GOG Galaxy, the standalone client for their DRM-free game store. They call this the biggest update to Galaxy yet, saying the highlight of version 1.2 is the addition of universal cloud saved games. On that topic they offer this separate post with a list of the first games supporting this feature. This is available now to all who have opted in to early updates, and it will roll out to everyone else next month. Here's more on what to expect:

The highlight of Update 1.2 is, of course, the Universal Cloud Saves. This new feature makes it possible to add cloud saving functionality not only to new games, but also to titles that never offered cloud saving before. Thanks to this, excellent games like Planescape: Torment, Heroes of Might & Magic® III, or Vampire®: the Masquerade - Bloodlines gain the benefits of saves syncing and cloud backup for the first time ever. Of course, if you prefer to keep your precious saves close at hand, GOG Galaxy also lets you download a backup of your saves data at any time and use it as you see fit.

This huge Update introduces the option to customize the Client to your needs by selecting which features you want to use. In addition, there is a brand new hibernate mode that cuts down on Client CPU usage while playing a game, and saves resources as well as battery life when idling in the background. We've also went through the GOG Galaxy community wishlist and packed Update 1.2 with some of the most-requested features, including bandwidth limiting and scheduling, FPS counter, screenshot capturing, a sleek in-game overlay, achievement rarity, desktop and in-game notifications system, a new chat, and more!

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. No subject Mar 23, 2017, 01:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Dentorro wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:02:
Why give 30% of your money to Valve if you can get it al for yourself? I can see more publishers in the future go their own route so they earn more.

For publishers it's a 2:1 thing. If you sell through valves storefront, they get 30% which is very low compared to most other digital storefonts. Most of them are between 40-50% of each sale. If you sell the game yourself(via your store, B&M, etc) but use steam as a distribution platform? Steam takes no money at all from the sale. Origin is 38% FYI. But Origin has customer service that's plain amazing. You could be waiting 2 weeks later for a CS response from valve in russian. And wait less then 10 minutes for one from Origin.

Hell, twice I've had problems with ME2 and ME3 breaking in Origin after a beta client update. And got the DLC free for my trouble, with a CS rep apologizing but thanking me for testing.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 23:13 jdreyer

To everyone complaining about not wanting another client: GOG Galaxy is completely optional. You can still install your DRM free copies of your GOG games directly from the website.  

Stay a while, and listen.

24. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 22:46 Jerykk

Glad to see these new features, especially cloud saves. I'm perfectly okay with clients if they're optional and offer useful features. Players should choose to use them instead of being forced to. That's what separates GOG Galaxy from Steam, Uplay and Origin.  

23. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 19:42 wtf_man

1. I don't want another client.
2. I don't want to store my shiznit in anyone's cloud.
3. I don't want to be datamined by my "game store".
4. I don't give a shiznit about "achievements, my friends list / chat / what games they have / any other social network crap / etc.
5. I don't want any "service" other than initially downloading what I pay for. (and game patches, *IF* I want them)

That said... if it were up to me... all my games would be GOG games without the "galaxy client". But as it stands I do have a Steam account and have to put up with the above shiznit. I do, however, constantly run steam games in offline mode with my NIC disconnected to avoid some of the crap.

So, as long as GOG keeps that client optional for folks that see value in that stuff... cool. The moment they make it mandatory (if ever), I will dump them.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

22. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 18:41 Kxmode

Really feel sorry for the Beta dimension. Never thought I'd see the day when GOG Galaxy would part ways.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

21. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 17:02 Orogogus

Satoru wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 16:36:
So it's been nearly 3 years and their client is basically a glorified version of every other client on the planet. You should be screaming at GOG at how utterly incompetently slow they are releasing actual feature updates to the client.

I would think so, and I've complained about Steam a lot before, but it really strikes me how all the alternative clients I tried were seriously feature deficient compared to Steam. The latest offender I've had to deal with was Oculus Home, and a basic gap analysis presents a legion of failings. No refunds, can't install to different drives, miserable display, sorting and filtering options, web interface doesn't include ratings or reviews and it has even fewer options than the client, no gifting, no downloads screen, achievements text truncated all over the place, no account sharing, can't set up shortcuts to apps on SteamVR or anywhere else, no workshop functionality, no FPS counter...

I think it's kind of a dumpster fire. I think I had a similar reaction to Origin and Uplay at some point, although I don't remember them being as deficient as Oculus Home. They ran games fine, but if I were going to show up late to the party I would sit down and identify Steam's features, and then make a point of covering all or at least most of them. Is that really so hard? Or does it cost that much? If so, why even bother? GOG's feature list actually looks reasonable compared to the others I've tried.

20. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 16:53 Satoru

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:44:
There must be some sort of flat yearly fee attached to Steam hosting and/or a limitation on how long they will let you stay on there without making any sales... otherwise, they would just be hosting every game forever.

Steam has no yearly fee or such. They already need the infrastructure in place to distribute all the AAA games, so the incremental cost of adding a game is basically 0. They need it to sell "Call of Duty the Search for More Money in an Alternate Dimension"

the only thing Steam does is that they won't wire you your money unless you meet a specific threshold. Its like $100-200 or something. So you could, in theory, sell a game on steam but never get paid if you don't hit that $100-$200 threshold.

19. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 16:40 Satoru

Why give 30% of your money to Valve if you can get it al for yourself? I can see more publishers in the future go their own route so they earn more.

1) Steamworks is free
2) 30% margin would happen on any platform you sell your game on.

The only way you would 'not be paying Valve 30%' woudl be to sell your game directly on your own store page with your own payment processors and dealing wtih the fraud associated with that, etc.

This is on top of re-inventing the wheel with regards to making your own platform. Only giant corporations are going to bother with that with the resources they have available.

18. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 16:36 Satoru

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 09:40:
Glad to see this product progressing. I detest Origins and Uplay and would love to see a gaming client developed to give Steam a decent run for it's money. Not that I have major issues with Steam, but they need some competition in the marketplace to force them to update the client in terms of functionality and efficiency.

Steam is not a client

Steam is not a store

Steam is a middleware company that happens to sell games

So long as GOG has their head up their ass and

1) Releases updates so slowly as to be beating Valve at Valve Time. Because maybe you forgot but the whole Galaxy thing was announced in July 2014, their first public client was available in June 2015. So it's been nearly 3 years and their client is basically a glorified version of every other client on the planet. You should be screaming at GOG at how utterly incompetently slow they are releasing actual feature updates to the client.

2) Refuses to release their Galaxy API publicly to developers because Steamworks is the primary reason games exist on the Steam platform

Then they will be "That other new client I install other than Steam"

17. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 15:59 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:14:
Well, that only does blizzard's games, so it's not really a straight comparison to Steam/Origin/GoG, right?

I think many times people complain because of all the separate apps, so it fits into that argument. Uplay seems only their games as well and they are brought into the rants commonly.

16. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 15:44 descender

Hosting themselves also carries bandwidth and hosting costs, not sure what % of sales that is, but it's probably something 5-10% range.

The main problem I see with hosting yourself is that at some point your revenue stream ends. Steam will still be hosting your files long after you've stopped making enough money to cover your monthly costs... but people who bought your game want to be able to download it 10 years from now long after that revenue stream has dried up. If you are a developer with a plan to release multiple games on a schedule with funding provided up-front by a publisher then this isn't a terribly big deal. if you are an indie dev on a shoestring budget than any fuck-up during the pre-launch process will likely sink your company.

I tried explaining this the last time this conversation came up. If Steam's cut is truly only a percentage of profits then it's easy to see why someone would pay for that. That is a cut of actual sales made. Not sales you hope to make.

When you host yourself you have to eat all of the up-front cost of not only building the solution but maintaining it "forever". If you go buy/build up all of the infrastructure necessary to host your own game and then you don't sell enough copies to cover the initial costs... you've just fucked yourself by being too greedy about how much of a cut Steam was taking.

There must be some sort of flat yearly fee attached to Steam hosting and/or a limitation on how long they will let you stay on there without making any sales... otherwise, they would just be hosting every game forever.

15. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 22, 2017, 15:26 jdreyer

The reason devs use Steam is because they can increase sales by more than 30% to cover the 30% cut Steam takes.

Hosting themselves also carries bandwidth and hosting costs, not sure what % of sales that is, but it's probably something 5-10% range.

Stay a while, and listen.

14. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 15:14 Creston

Warner Bros has said they're next, basically. They're working on their own client. Sigh

Also I find it strange that noone ever mentions Blizzard's implementation via battle.net

Well, that only does blizzard's games, so it's not really a straight comparison to Steam/Origin/GoG, right?

13. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 13:32 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 13:01:
No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

You would most likely be making a mistake, you have no name in gaming so it isn't like you can take the Witcher brand and push GOG heavily and people will come. You would find steam the easiest way to get your game out there to the largest audience. Plenty of developers have already said for a game with your credentials, Steam is essential, they know and have spoke. I do agree 30% is high and all that, but there are other truths in this equation that make Steam the right answer for most.

12. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 13:22 descender

Bandwith is cheap and so is everything else you mentioned. 30 points for essentially doing nothing is outrageous.

It obviously isn't. If a 30% cut was "outrageous" then no developer would host anything on Steam. If the "free marketing" and other things aren't worth the money... why are so many people so obviously willing to it? Reality does not seem to agree with your assertion that hosting things in-house is cheaper than hosting them on Steam.

Honestly... how do you sit there thinking you're the only one that has this figured this out and every marketing and accounting department for every developer on Steam is just "full of morons". Get over yourself.

I'm certain there is a "number of copies sold" and an "amount time expected to host" where it makes far more sense to pay 30% for Valve's infrastructure than to provide your own... and you probably reach it after a few thousand copies.

Why do think Steam is worth billions?
Because they are offering a service to developers for cheaper than it actually costs for the developers to run themselves. Why do you think they are worth billions? It doesn't matter how much profit Valve is making if the end cost is still cheaper for the developer than doing it themselves. THAT is why they are so ungodly popular... not because they decided to take 30% instead of 25% or whatever random number you deem acceptable.

No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

GOG literally takes the same 30% cut and offers a fraction of the service that Steam does. Where is this magical place that you are going to host and sell your games for a better cost?

I dropped using mobile payments for my biz because they charged 3% per transaction. Same reason you see more and more businesses just dealing in cash. Why would I pay them a total percentage for a single transaction that literally costs them pennies - even fractional cents in large enough volumes.
You pay the percentage to make sales via the methods your customers want to pay with. If you don't accept the forms of payment your customers want to use, they will go somewhere else. Mobile payments aren't such a big deal yet, so it's easier to brush those sales aside. Do you also not accept credit cards? Those fees aren't any lower. You are going to sit there and tell us that you've never had to turn away a customer because they had no cash on them? The only things I can think of that I have actually paid for in cash in the past year are food trucks and... marijuana. All cash businesses have to be extremely good at what they are doing to survive in todays business world. Maybe that kind of stuff flies out in the boonies of Canada or whereever the heck you are from... but american suburbs aren't having it. Unless you are literally the best at what your business does in your town people will go for convenience every time.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2017, 13:40.

11. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 13:01 Cutter

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:33:
Because they do a better job? Because they handle distribution and patching? Because of the free marketing? Community resources? Steam Workshop? Shrug. I realize that people get hung up on the 30% thing, which looks obscene from a consumer's view. But that number isn't really that far out there when you look at distribution models and the assorted services being provided. That's a huge development/infrastructure/maintenance package to float for most companies....

What "free marketing"? They're paying - 30% - for it. Bandwith is cheap and so is everything else you mentioned. 30 points for essentially doing nothing is outrageous. Even if it was a full-on concierge service it would still be outrageous. Shit, I dropped using mobile payments for my biz because they charged 3% per transaction. Same reason you see more and more businesses just dealing in cash. Why would I pay them a total percentage for a single transaction that literally costs them pennies - even fractional cents in large enough volumes. Why do think Steam is worth billions? No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 12:09 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:36:
Ubi seems to sell just Ubi and they have a sale on right now... Dishonored 2 is sold out, didn't know that was possible with a digital game, lol.
Not game copies do run out, but key contingents. In most cases publishers grant the distributor access to a certain amount of keys. When these run out, the publisher has to release more keys/the distributor has to order more keys.

In Ubisofts case they generated less keys than the existing demand and simply have to update their own database with more keys.

9. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 11:36 HorrorScope

That's why I can't blame the big boys for doing it, if I were in their shoes making the business decisions, biggest no-brainer there is.

And yest to Battle.net, Blizzard always given the pass.

Origin does sell non-EA games. Their front-end allows non-origin games to be loaded in as well. They also have a monthly service that allows you to play around 70 games for one cost, Steam doesn't have anything like that.

Ubi seems to sell just Ubi and they have a sale on right now... Dishonored 2 is sold out, didn't know that was possible with a digital game, lol.

Went into windows store once, just once. Clueless company on pc gaming.

8. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 11:33 Primalchrome

Because they do a better job? Because they handle distribution and patching? Because of the free marketing? Community resources? Steam Workshop? Shrug. I realize that people get hung up on the 30% thing, which looks obscene from a consumer's view. But that number isn't really that far out there when you look at distribution models and the assorted services being provided. That's a huge development/infrastructure/maintenance package to float for most companies....

Also I find it strange that noone ever mentions Blizzard's implementation via battle.net
Ooooh...good point. Blizzard's client is pretty damn slick, which everyone expects from Blizzard. I have that one installed as well. If I'm being honest, it's only there because of nostalgia. The fond memories of Warcraft LAN parties and Diablo II runs late into the night.

7. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 11:02 Dentorro

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:56:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:08:
Just out of curiosity, what are your issues with Origin and Uplay?
Well, both are publisher specific...which strikes me as silly as a long term solution. Who wants 10+ clients just because every publisher has their own flavor? UPlay has always felt janky and cobbled together...like something and indie group would create. I just reinstalled it for For Honor and it felt just as poorly contrived as when it first came out. That said, I still use it on occasion. Origins, on the other hand, appears very polished and functional. That said EA is the worst company out there for PC gaming...its only competitor int eh running for that title is probably Microsoft. I'm was willing to rarely buy an EA game over the last decade...but since ME3 and Origin became draconian, I don't buy any EA titles. Just voting with my wallet.

Anyways for me they all work more or less as intended.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo