Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows

The Khronos Developer Blog announces that multi-GPU support in their Vulkan API is not tied to Windows 10 (thanks DSOGaming). They say this will come to "many versions of Windows, including 7 and 8.x. Here's word:

One key question that we have been asked since GDC is whether the Vulkan multi-GPU functionality is specifically tied to ship only on Windows 10.

The good news is that the Vulkan multi-GPU specification is very definitely NOT tied to Windows 10. It is possible to implement the Vulkan multi-GPU extension on any desktop OS including Windows 7, 8.X and 10 and Linux.

Some of the Khronos GDC presentations mentioned that for Vulkan multi-GPU functionality, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) must be in Linked Display Adapter (LDA) mode. That was not a very clear statement that has caused some confusion. And so it is worth clarifying that:

1. The use of WDDM is referring to the use of Vulkan multi-GPU functionality on Windows. On other OS, WDDM is not necessary to implement the Vulkan multi-GPU extension.
  2. On Windows, the use of LDA mode can make implementing Vulkan multi-GPU functionality easier, and will probably be used by most implementations, but it is not strictly necessary.
  3. If an implementation on Windows does decide to use LDA mode, it is NOT tied to Windows 10. LDA mode has been available on many versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and 8.X.

Khronos always strives to make its specifications as cross platform as possible. Of course, what products ship on which OS is up to the implementers of each specification, but Khronos is already aware of vendor plans to ship multi-GPU functionality on platforms other than Windows 10, including Linux.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. removed Mar 23, 2017, 06:00 alicetaylor

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 23, 2017, 06:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 23, 2017, 05:11 Vio

intermarer wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 02:38:
I hope all games start using Vulkan and support Linux so I can ditch Spydows completely.
This is my desire.

12. No subject Mar 23, 2017, 02:38 intermarer

I hope all games start using Vulkan and support Linux so I can ditch Spydows completely.  

11. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 16:56 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:32:
Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:18:

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:03:
Microsoft probably has 250 lawyers working feverishly right now to find a way to crush Vulkan, or neuter it to the point of being useless before any more devs drop DX12 support.

Or, on the other hand, they're on the board of Vulkan.

Purchase then deprecate, claiming to have "incorporated" the technology in to DirectX.

Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

Microsoft loves getting close to anything competition related, big or small. Even something as seemingly mundane as an open file format.

Microsoft absolutely should be a contributing member of the Khronos group, as they are, the problem is will they help advance it or hinder it. Unfortunately their track record isn't great even before considering that Vulkan does pose a threat to one of their carrot/sticks which they, again have a track record of, pulling with new releases of Windows.

10. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 15:32 jdreyer

Microsoft probably has 250 lawyers working feverishly right now to find a way to crush Vulkan, or neuter it to the point of being useless before any more devs drop DX12 support.

Purchase then deprecate, claiming to have "incorporated" the technology in to DirectX.

Stay a while, and listen.

9. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 15:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:05:
CIG definitely made the right move, I'm sure more developers will follow suit.

Anything that incrementally loosens microsofts death grip on pc gaming is a good thing.

Oh man, Star Citizen is gonna be such a SWEET game! I can't wait for 2025!

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 14:32 HoSpanky

This would be super interesting news if devs would actually DO something with it, but even when it's been made comparatively easy (like VR SLI), no one implements it.

I used to be hardcore SLI, always binding a pair of midrange cards together. Now I buy single, badass cards, since SLI support has dwindled down to effectively nonexistent in the last three years. I'm definitely not the only one, and all that does is drop the number of SLI owners down, lowering the value to devs. Oh sure, a game here or there will support it, but they're rare, and even rarer that it's a game I give a shit about. Or, like Far Cry, proper support shows up 6 months after the game comes out.

I think SLI still has a place, especially when it comes to VR, but so far, devs just don't think it's worth bothering with.

7. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:26 grudgebearer

Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:18:

Maybe, but that would seem contradictory to their desire to make games Windows 10 exclusives that are only offered on their delivery platforms.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:21 ItBurn

This news is soooo good when it hits your ears. so good...  

5. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:18 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:03 grudgebearer

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

3. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 11:38 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:03:
Somewhere, far in the distance, a poor Microsoft engineer is standing there with the tattered remnants of DX12, going "We're still here! Hello? Guys? Guys...?"

MS is lost in the woods about how to handle pc games. It time it seems only the xbox brand won't be supported. Uh oh.

2. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 11:05 RedEye9

CIG definitely made the right move, I'm sure more developers will follow suit.

Anything that incrementally loosens microsofts death grip on pc gaming is a good thing.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

1. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 Creston

Somewhere, far in the distance, a poor Microsoft engineer is standing there with the tattered remnants of DX12, going "We're still here! Hello? Guys? Guys...?"

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo