Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Libertarian Republic - Open World Video Games Appeal to Everyone's Inner Libertarian.
"Open world games are so popular because they offer something to the consumer that few other forms of entertainment media can: freedom. Freedom to roam to anywhere one pleases, and to do anything one wants in any order. This is the future of entertainment media, the idea that an audience member can not only interact with what they are experiencing, but fundamentally change it based on her own preferences. But what makes this even more interesting is that the demand for more and more open world gaming in the market speaks to the truth of something Dr. Ron Paul has been practically immortalized as having said: freedom is popular."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2017, 13:44 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 01:45:
Flatline wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 21:48:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 19:50:
The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

The Libertarian party honest-to-god doesn't see a problem with 6 year old shooting heroin, but thinks that drivers licenses to prove competency driving are the beginnings of slavery.

And that's not hyperbole, that's straight from the Libertarian convention debates.

Well that does sound crazy. I didn't mean to endorse their position, I simply meant that they stay true to what they claim. Maybe the 3rd position in mainstream debate should be a bit more realistic...

I get you... My point was generally that libertarians go all the way from whackadoodle nuts to Republicans who want to smoke dope and get laid. They're not a particularly consistent party, nor, almost by definition, can they be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2017, 01:45 Quboid

The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

The Libertarian party honest-to-god doesn't see a problem with 6 year old shooting heroin, but thinks that drivers licenses to prove competency driving are the beginnings of slavery.

And that's not hyperbole, that's straight from the Libertarian convention debates.

Well that does sound crazy. I didn't mean to endorse their position, I simply meant that they stay true to what they claim. Maybe the 3rd position in mainstream debate should be a bit more realistic...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2017, 00:59 FloorPie

Its hard to take the LoLbertarian party seriously when for the last two elections their presidential candidate cared about only two issues, weed and gay marriage. In 2016 it was just weed for obvious reasons. There is a clip of Gary Johnson in 2012 libertarian nomination debates saying that the banks did nothing illegal in the housing bubble etc.. The bailouts were wrong he said, but nothing done was illegal. Utter insanity.

Then he and his VP pick last year were openly anti-gun. Libertarian candidates who are anti-gun? Yeah, real open world game loving there. Weedman Johnson cares about his weed, climbing mountains on all seven continents and mountain biking or something.

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2017, 00:53 Acleacius

Lmao, self serving justification, obviously a norquist dupe or stooge. Oh, wait maybe a ryanian fool, trying to tie themselves to one of the, if not the largest profitable industries, video games.

So now they have a answer, 'our delusional belief system' really does exist, in imaginary video games! Except it doesn't, no where near the same. Giggle

Remember these people(?) are willing to destroy the economies of the world, to force their delusions on the world. They don't exist, never have, ever. In any country, any world, any dimension, any timeline or any universe. BUT, they are right. Just ask them, they'll tell you. Not only that but they are willing to torture and kill to get it. Because people will suffer and die because of their polices, and already have.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

18. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2017, 23:04 Kxmode

Everyone's inner libertarian? Open world games appeal to my desire to explore. Exploration is apolitical.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 21:48 Flatline

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 21:46 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line.

Oh hey look quite literally the common sense fallacy at work!

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 19:50 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 18:20:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

No democratic philosophy is about Us vs. Them. The US's two party system contributes a lot to the pervasive tribal mentality, but that's not down to ideology. Judging by your primaries, there's plenty of scope for disagreement within each party too - including by self-proclaimed Libertarians who join the red tribe.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:41 HorrorScope

It's another flavor of games, I love open world and many games do well with it and many screw it up. I like to think as we progress forward overall the quality will continue to improve. I also love other types of games as well, even linear. A well done game can happen imo in any sub genre. I agree with the thought that freedom of being able to go and do things in the order you want (generally speaking) is a quality a human mind will like. It's tinkering and freedom.  

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:20 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

12. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:05 Suppa7

Simon Says wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:53:
-Always been allergic to the libertarian "muh freedumb market" cult...
-Always been allergic to open world games too...

Probably just a coincidence tho.

Open world games are really a fad started by gta tragically, gta catered to the lowest common denominator and everyone tried to ape it. Really open world is pretty crap it makes development easier for developers to split the game into essentially minigames within a larger level hub. That's what 'open world' is really about. Shadow warrior 2 suffered from its 'open world design', its a fun game but the flow/story of the single player really suffered because of it. Sure must have made it easier to develop though to split it up into hubs different teams could work on in parallel.

11. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 16:02 Cutter

Yeah. Sure. And we all know utterly fascinating and how much fun it is wandering around an empty gameworld with nothing to do. No, people don't want freedom to do whatever they want. What they want is good content and a lot of it to do it - more or less - as they please. There are no shortage of games in the Games Graveyard that have proved that time and again. Imagine the Witcher 3 without anything to do except ride around and look at stuff. Yeah. Sure.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 16:00 ZeroPike1

Libertarian in a game, sure that kinda goes hand in hand with the idea of the game. To an extent I suppose.

But when you apply what I in a video game to real life that is where my support of the ideals stop. Libertarians are selfishness incarnate. Borderline pirates with out outright killing people on the street. Unless of course you bring up Libertarian paradises like Somalia...

Does my Liberal political choices change based on a Libertarian game style? God no... I'm not stupid. geez.

9. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:55 Creston

I doubt it's really the demand for more and more open world gaming as that the video games industry are all a bunch of "Me Too!" mongrels who see one game do well, and all decide they're going to be the next WoW/WW2shooter/GTAV/DayZ/LoL etc.

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:46 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:21 Beamer

Simon Says wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:53:

Libertarianism is probably the dumbest political ideology, not the least of which because libertarians tend to be extremely passionate about what impacts them directly but not care about what doesn't, but open world games can be amazing. Saints Row 3 and The Witcher 3 are near perfect games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 19, 2017, 15:01 Stormsinger

"Freedom to roam to anywhere one pleases, and to do anything one wants in any order."

Well, anywhere and anything that the developers thought of and included. That's a pretty limited version of "any".

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:53 Simon Says

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:49 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:26 Suppa7

yonder wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:04:
Actually small-c communism (more precisely, *actual* Marxism) makes perfect sense in a post-scarcity world, which we're only a few generations away. We're seeing the very beginning of it now.

You're under the dangerous assumption capitalist relations will suddenly change just because there is abundance. There is abundance now in rich nations and the rich still hoard their wealth. AKA think of all the empty buildings the rich own that could be used to house people, everytime a house remains empty it's not efficiently used.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo