Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I spoke too soon when bragging on getting out of shoveling when the snowstorm missed us yesterday. I got a text from my contractor saying the dumpster will be picked up at the crack of dawn tomorrow, so it mustn't be blocked. At first I dismissed this, as we aren't parked in front of it. But then I realized I didn't bother to shovel it out completely because, well, dumpster. So I guess I'll have to head out there today at take care of some business. The sun has been working on the snow, so the piles are smaller, but I'm guessing there are some layers of ice in there, so I may be ringing out winter in style today.

R.I.P.: A Father Of Rock 'N' Roll, Chuck Berry Dies At 90.
R.I.P.: Jimmy Breslin, chronicler of wise guys and underdogs, dies.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Redcliff Riots.
Stories: Chuck Berry- Seven of the king of rock 'n' roll's best songs.
Science: Solar System Could Have More Than 100 Planets.
Southwest Airlines Finally Doing Away With Pneumatic Tubes, Paper Tickets. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Troll - Epic NPC Man (When the Horde enters Alliance territory in World of Warcraft).
Declassified Nuclear Test. Why wouldn't you want people to know you were stockpiling these?
Autocomplete Interview (NSFW).
The Funnies: Not your father’s Zelda « EXTRALIFE.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 06:33 yuastnav

RoboNerd wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 20:23:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:22:
Wow... rest in piece, Chuck Berry. You were a pioneer of rock music.

Right on, (well, except it's peace not piece) I've always felt Chuck didn't get the accolades he deserved. George Thorogood always gave him his due. I believe this is a quote from George on Chuck Berry: “the most important rock guitarist of all time. He’s the man. He’s the link between blues and rock and roll. He never gets enough credit for it.” Guitarist

Thanks, corrected my spelling, it was late yesterday.

I'm torn between whether he is as recognised as he is important or not. Only after I studied a bit of his music with my guitar teacher I realised how incredibly influential he has been and that almost all modern guitarists owe him a lot.
Just this morning I told my girlfriend when we listened to Johnny B. Goode (it was interesting, that song came on and when I switched stations after the song was over the other station immediately played that song, too) that you probably wouldn't realise what kind of effect his style of playing had on modern music if you didn't play guitar or were a musician yourself. So I think that has something to do with that, too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 03:05 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 02:01:
BobBob wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 00:45:
Wished my mom a happy birthday and I asked her the most important family question... and the answer was:

She didn't vote for Trump.

There is still hope. Thumbsup

*Whew*

I thought the question was going to be "Was I adopted?"

That would have been my next question had the answer been different!

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 03:45.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

17. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 20, 2017, 02:28 El Pit

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 19:25:
The nukes we have today are more than 10 times more powerful than the one from that video. Just in case that seemed small-ish to anyone.

Trump is obviously correct that we need to beef up our nukes.

Because overkill makes totally sense: we cannot only kill you, but we can kill you ten times and nuke the ashes AGAIN.

Overkill was a running gag in the 80s, and even nowadays it still does not make any sense.

It is simply a means to give more money to the weapons industry. Make military corporations not just great, but even greater again.

"There's class warfare, all right, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."
Warren Buffett, right here: https://youtu.be/d37z90pz-qE

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 02:01 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 00:45:
Wished my mom a happy birthday and I asked her the most important family question... and the answer was:

*Whew*

I thought the question was going to be "Was I adopted?"

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 00:45 BobBob

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 23:03 jdreyer

RoboNerd wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 20:23:

Right on, (well, except it's peace not piece) I've always felt Chuck didn't get the accolades he deserved. George Thorogood always gave him his due. I believe this is a quote from George on Chuck Berry: “the most important rock guitarist of all time. He’s the man. He’s the link between blues and rock and roll. He never gets enough credit for it.” Guitarist

Not enough credit? Really? Even though six decades after his accomplishments he's still got sky-high name recognition? I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, I'm just surprised you'd say that.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 23:00 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:54:
Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:25:
And watching that nuke was amazing. Just think, sometime in the next 4 years you're going to have the opportunity to see these going off all over the world by the thousands. I think this would be a good time to crowdfund a Vaultec style company.

And imagine that these nukes are just not good enough anymore.

Trump Trump Binks: Meesah need biggah boomers!
Pu Pu Tinks: Meesah have even big big biggah boomers!!!

And suddenly, I need a map with a route to Vault 13.

Okay, that Binks stuff was pretty funny.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 22:58 jdreyer

Yeah, always loved Chuck's music.

And watching that nuke was amazing. Just think, sometime in the next 4 years you're going to have the opportunity to see these going off all over the world by the thousands. I think this would be a good time to crowdfund a Vaultec style company.

You may as well start doing your homework.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 20:23 RoboNerd

10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 19, 2017, 19:25 Wowbagger_TIP

The nukes we have today are more than 10 times more powerful than the one from that video. Just in case that seemed small-ish to anyone.

Trump is obviously correct that we need to beef up our nukes.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 16:54 El Pit

And imagine that these nukes are just not good enough anymore.

Trump Trump Binks: Meesah need biggah boomers!
Pu Pu Tinks: Meesah have even big big biggah boomers!!!

And suddenly, I need a map with a route to Vault 13.

"There's class warfare, all right, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."
Warren Buffett, right here: https://youtu.be/d37z90pz-qE

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 16:25 Cutter

Yeah, always loved Chuck's music.

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!" - Royal

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 15:00 medusa[nyc]

i was gonna say you forgot all about Bernie Wrightson too  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 14:07 Devinoch

We also lost Bernie Wrightson as well. Bad day yesterday.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 13:22 yuastnav

Wow... rest in peace, Chuck Berry. You were a pioneer of rock music.

[corrected spelling... it was late yesterday]

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 06:30.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 12:32 Ozmodan

Yep, Southwest is still the best airlines and it seems to me most of the other airlines have far more outages than Southwest.

As to planets, you can make up any number and it will probably be right as there are so many different interpretations of what is a planet.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 12:26 Creston

Flew Southwest three times over the past few days, still the best airline imo. But it's good to see they're not resting on their laurels.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 12:22 Mr. Tact

A definition which said there were over 100 planets is this solar system would seemingly be silly at best. But then, plenty of scientific ideas are/were seemingly silly before being proved. However, this sounds more like a semantic argument than a scientific one. *shrug* Whatever.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 11:38 RedEye9

Can I be the first to tell Pluto?

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo