Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access

Origin now offers early access to Mass Effect: Andromeda, providing a first crack the new installment in the spacey shooter/RPG series for Origin Access customers, though some were apparently able to access this extra-early. This includes 10 hours of access, with your progress carrying over to the full game, and it includes both single-player and multiplayer modes. This may not be working out exactly as Electronic Arts would hope, however, as VG247 has a collection of memes and gifs showing off the game's facial animations, which are drawing lots of criticism for being not great. They point to this video with a look at the problem.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 20, 2017, 21:13 Creston

Drayth wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 20:05:
Yeah, I stated that. But then I got home and watched the vid concerning the magic gethscope, so w/e

Oops, you did say that. My bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 20, 2017, 20:05 Drayth

Yeah, I stated that. But then I got home and watched the vid concerning the magic gethscope, so w/e  

68. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 20, 2017, 19:59 Creston

Drayth wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 19:23:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:46:
Ah, okay. The entire concept of an FTL sensor is inane, but I'll accept a Magical McSpaceGuffin.

They did establish that data can be sent via quantum entangled pairs in ME2, which would be instantaneous no matter the distance. That's actually theoretically "doable", if not a bit of a mind fuck (well this is assuming they got a sensor into Andromeda to beam the information back.. maybe I should watch that video. It's late, I'm at work.. I need to get out of here).

Quantum entanglement works fine, but you would actually need to have one of the entangled pair IN ANDROMEDA for that to work.

Redmask, I didn't mean for my remark to sound as if I was getting down on you for it. I'm sorry you don't like the game. Hopefully Bioware will learn from their mistakes and make a better next one.

67. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 20, 2017, 19:23 Drayth

Ah, okay. The entire concept of an FTL sensor is inane, but I'll accept a Magical McSpaceGuffin.

They did establish that data can be sent via quantum entangled pairs in ME2, which would be instantaneous no matter the distance. That's actually theoretically "doable", if not a bit of a mind fuck.(well this is assuming they got a sensor into Andromeda to beam the information back.. maybe I should watch that video. It's late, I'm at work.. I need to get out of here).

NM, watched the vid

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 20:06.

66. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 20, 2017, 08:20 Redmask

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 13:25:
And while I understand and even agree with some of what you're saying, Redmask, it also seems like you're just kind of burned out on the whole mass effect and Bioware games in general?

I'm going to turn that one around on you. It seems like you're just determined to make excuses for it because its a Bioware/Mass Effect game. Everyone can trial it right now and make up their own mind, the idea that everyone is just commenting on Youtube videos doesn't make sense anymore. Personally I feel like its earning that 75 metacritic its sitting at right now.

In fact the Gamespot review meshes pretty closely with my experience, I would give the game so far a 6/10. Maybe you just like a crappy/average game? I like plenty of shitty games and don't care what others think of them.

65. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 22:43 NewMaxx

Ah, okay. The entire concept of an FTL sensor is inane, but I'll accept a Magical McSpaceGuffin. :)

It's explained by a specific person (Suvi) after a specific question - honestly I was surprised when the topic was brought up. I remembered your post on here about it and laughed a little! It seems like it ends up as part of the Codex, too. Unfortunately YouTube in their infinite wisdom again removed the specific title for MEA so once more my upload broke...sigh...but I'll have the spoken part soon.

*edit* here's the relevant bit

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 01:28.

64. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 17:46 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:31:
There's also a pretty massive plothole in the early storyline. They're saying that the reason the golden planets aren't what they thought they were anymore because they are going by data that's 600 years old, and the Kett clearly moved in 3 to 400 years ago.

But that idea of 600 year old data is ridiculous, because they've also explicitly said that they determined the golden planets by examining the light from the stars and its interactions with surrounding planets, and from that made determinations on the viability of said planets. So then, of course, they were not working with 600 year old data, but with 2.5 MILLION year old data.

This is actually explained. I have the full spoken explanation in my latest video which I'm posting this evening, I'll come back and link to that part. If you don't care for that and just want a "tl;dr" for now: Geth technology allows for a FTL sensor.

63. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 16:31 NewMaxx

There's also a pretty massive plothole in the early storyline. They're saying that the reason the golden planets aren't what they thought they were anymore because they are going by data that's 600 years old, and the Kett clearly moved in 3 to 400 years ago.

But that idea of 600 year old data is ridiculous, because they've also explicitly said that they determined the golden planets by examining the light from the stars and its interactions with surrounding planets, and from that made determinations on the viability of said planets. So then, of course, they were not working with 600 year old data, but with 2.5 MILLION year old data.

This is actually explained. I have the full spoken explanation in my latest video which I'm posting this evening, I'll come back and link to that part. If you don't care for that and just want a "tl;dr" for now: Geth technology allows for a FTL sensor.

62. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 13:56 Bundy

I caught the same plot hole too. Apparently neither Hollywood screenwriters nor video game writers understand science. The sad thing is we're all so used to it now it barely hits our radar. And when it does all we do is shrug and mutter something about luddites.  

61. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 13:25 Creston

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 08:48:
Having played it I don't feel very strongly one way or the other, its just really average and frankly a bit boring. Ultimately though this doesn't feel worth the price of admission at launch, maybe later on when its $30 or less.

Which is fine, of course, but at least you played it. The large majority of the people here are bitching because John Walker said a few lines of dialogue were terrible. But again, more power to them.

And while I understand and even agree with some of what you're saying, Redmask, it also seems like you're just kind of burned out on the whole mass effect and Bioware games in general? I mean, their games are ALWAYS about you being the messiah character. That's been in literally every game they've ever made. By now you should kind of know what to expect.

There are definitely some things in this game which are worse than the previous Mass Effects, but there are also some things which are better, so overall it seems roughly the same. I'm very much enjoying the scale of things and the overall visual aspect of it. I also like the direction the storyline is going in, there are a lot of little intrigues and mysteries going on, which I find pretty cool.

In any case, I did come across my first goofy animation when walking, and yeah, it does look pretty terrible. It is also clearly a bug, but hey, if people want to see this as more than what it is, whatever.

But whatever, Mac couldn't see a big fucking plothole if it swallowed him whole.

60. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 12:11 Bundy

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 08:48:
I've seen the same 3 posters stumping for it and a bunch of people hating on it.

Well to be fair a fair number of the haters haven't played it, they're just going off from some selective youtube videos. The earlier Mass Effects have some ridiculous videos too. Not that the game isn't without it's flaws, for sure. The twitchy empty wide-eye'd million mile stare from a lot of the NPC's is off putting. But even Witcher 3, one of the best games ever, had ingame cutscene issues too. They reused the same NPC models over and over and over again, just changed the voice actor and plunked him down in a different role.

But in all the comparisons on youtube gamers are posting they're only showing the animations of MEA against Geralt and Yennifer, clearly where CDR spent most of their time perfecting.

I dunno, I think it looks and feels like a Mass Effect game. My biggest issue with it is the villain is so contrived and one dimensional. The beauty of the Reapers is that after 3 games and many years we never knew their motives or origins until the last seconds of the game, terrible ending aside. They were a great villain all the way through. This guy feels like an Avenger movie comic book bad guy.

But to each their own.

BTW, completely off topic. If you have a Rift or a Vive, get Paranormal Activity. It is Early Access and their are some hand issues (at least on Rift). But it will make you fear shit.

59. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 08:48 Redmask

All in all, I'd say that if you liked ME3, I don't see why you wouldn't like this one, unless you've already made your mind up to be mortally offended by the smallest things and refuse to play what's a very fun game so far because of those. And if so, hey, more power to you.

No I like fun games, I just don't find this thoroughly average, over designed monstrosity very enjoyable.

Combat is really just OK. Sure you have a lot of mobility but the enemy AI is pathetic. They even use old SNES days logic where if you hold aim on them in cover they won't pop up until the cursor moves away. You have a wide variety of typical ME powers and the gunplay is rote. It just doesn't feel like a meaningful evolution in any way except the jump jets which really just break the game in terms of difficulty. It's totally adequate but unremarkable. I didn't try multiplayer because its usually horde mode console crap, the same brainless wave survival shit with some random chest mechanics.

The setting, movement and conversation system feels rehashed from DA:I. Hell even the combo powers shit feels played out. The main character Ryder is poorly animated in the extreme, facial expressions especially. The voice acting is solid and most of the delivery is fine, the dialogue itself is the issue. You always expect a poor man's Joss Whedon script from Bioware but this is truly dreadful stuff. Mac Walters and 2 other people apparently wrote this, a noticeable reduction in the writing team staff and it really shows. You are a messiah type guy yet again with even less motivation and sense behind the origin story. The writing has a lot of "tell, don't show" going on and it really suffers as a result. The new conversation system doesn't help, people have always liked the simplicity of the Paragon/Renegade system and it wasn't in need of "nuance".

You scan everything and this mechanic quickly becomes tedious even in the trial. Why do devs feel the need to make players suffer? Who finds this stuff fun? Hold A to activate for 4 seconds and get some exposition. Why is this necessary? Scan rocks, scan planets, scan for this, that and the other thing. The Pathfinder apparently needs resources to do bloody everything so you better be ready to scan and gather ad nauseum. It's too early to say how locked out of potential content you will be if you ignore their fucking lame crafting system. Does the audience for this type of busywork even exist anymore? I want to meet the guy who sits at his PC drooling and clicking the scan button over and over. I work for a living, I don't need to feel like I'm working while I'm playing.

The return of exploration is welcome but unfortunately there's also a lot of "no" going on in the quasi-open world planets. The environments and art design are top notch but ultimately feel lifeless, like a pretty painting. You still bump into characters and environment pieces as if they are brick walls. The world doesn't feel organic in any way to me, everything from the characters to the planets feels uncanny.

It runs ok on my machine, I don't really have anything bad to say about its technical performance. What does trouble me is the lack of care and attention to animations. I typically don't give a fuck about this shit but this game has serious deficiencies. In a game where its story driven and you are trying to get immersed this is a much bigger problem than I realized. Some of the characters look downright fucking goofy while they're talking about the death of important characters and family. Also the UX is fucking terrible, it somehow manages to be even worse than the previous games. Why do I need to hold a button to perform a one click action? Why is this shit everywhere in the game in general? Newsflash developers, this doesn't give players 'agency', it makes them feel like a monkey.

What bothers me about this game is the lack of ambition. I'm a huge ME nerd so I'm the target audience for this and it just feels like they knocked it out because it was on a schedule rather than a good creative basis and passion for the product. It's impossible to ignore all of the rehashing from DA:I here too, if you've played both games you can't help but notice it. I can tolerate a lot for the ME universe, its a pulpy setting I really enjoy and its not like the previous games didn't have issues. This was a game made by a new studio, they mimicked something else as best they could but it shows. What's really troubling is that so much money and time went into making this unimaginative game.

I feel like some people here were convinced it was good or bad before it even came out, I've seen the same 3 posters stumping for it and a bunch of people hating on it. Having played it I don't feel very strongly one way or the other, its just really average and frankly a bit boring. Ultimately though this doesn't feel worth the price of admission at launch, maybe later on when its $30 or less.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2017, 09:11.

58. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 05:55 NewMaxx

Not bad, Creston. Finished my third session with four hours to go on the trial but I already have a pre-order in my back pocket at GMG (which I will probably keep). I agree with everything you said and have to say my biggest gripe is probably the UI, but that being said the game does have native support for the Logitech Orion keyboards which, quite honestly, is nice. The Division had it, but Wildlands does not; Battlefield 1 has it, and so does Andromeda. Consistency. That's really all I can add at this time but I should have a fuller picture after I finish the trial...but I will add that I do think the response to the game has been nothing but massive overreaction.  

57. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 01:19 Bundy

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 00:45:
<whole bunch of stuff>

Nearly done my 10 hrs of the early access. I agree with every word you said Creston.

The vitriol coming from the internet regarding some of the problems reminds of how some people are freaking out that LeFou in Beauty and the Beast is gay. Because apparently there's never been a gay character in a movie until today. How dare Disney change the sexual orientation of a character as beloved as fucking LeFou!!!!

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2017, 02:46.

56. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 00:45 Creston

Just played the trial for a few hours. Finished the first mission, walked around the ship after for a while.

Based on these first few hours.

Writing:

The writing is fine. It's not great, it's basically the same as it was in the previous Mass Effect games. Yes, there is the occasional goofy line or dull character, but shit, apparently because they're Bioware they have to write 1200 times the equivalent of Morte or something? This whole whiny wankfest by some turd-waffle from Rock Paper Shotgun about how bad the writing is is so hilariously overblown it's just pathetic. Most of the examples he gave were for absolutely minor characters. The kind you talk to once because you CAN, not because you give two shits about them. Who cares if they're boring?

As for all the whining about the floating rocks: they literally mention it twice. Once on the shuttle on their way towards the planet, and then Liam mentions it once more. THEY TALK ABOUT NOTHING BUT THE FLOATING ROCKS! Exaggeration Theatre, show at 11.

(Note to Bioware: Apparently for your next game, your writing budget needs to be 250 million dollars. Every single character in the game must be at the level of MacBeth.)

Voice actors:

Liam's voice actor does sound off a bit. Especially the first few sentences you hear him say, it almost sounds as if they recorded it wrong, or something. You clearly hear that he's in a studio, whereas all the other voice-overs that play in that particular area sound more... integrated into the current location, if that makes any sense. Those voices sound as if they're actually being spoken in that sick bay, and then Liam's sounds as if he's standing in, well, a studio with a mic in front of his mouth. Furthermore, yeah, the guy just isn't a great voice actor. He doesn't put a lot of inflection into his voice and his delivery is very deadpan. Sad, but true. It happens.

Most of the other characters are fine, however. FemRyder's voice is very good. Cora seems good so far. The Pathfinder/your dad is a stoic asshole, but that's his character, so that seems on point. Captain of the ship was good. SAM was good. The doctor seems a bit emotionless, but I don't know yet if that's because the actress doesn't care, or because that's just how the character is.

Animations:

The facial animations, yeah, those are not good at all, but again, people are acting as if it's the worst animations since Pong. It seems the biggest problem is that characters' eyes are always WIDE OPEN to a comical degree, and it makes everyone look pretty goofy. My FemRyder especially constantly looks as if she's in total darkness and is trying to make stuff out. It does look stupid. Does it detract from the game? Not to me, but YMMV. It can be comical/jarring in cutscenes, I won't deny.

Other than that, animations in my game are fine. Not seen a single issue with them. Not saying that means others aren't having problems with them (I've seen the videos), but I think it's pretty clear those are just bugs then, which they will hopefully sort out. All characters walk normally in my game, none of the wacky "walk like you're taking a shit" stuff.

Graphics:

Graphically I think it looks pretty nice. I'm running it at around the mid range level, I'd guess. Most settings are on High, but no HBAO and no AA, and it runs smooth on that on my 970. I was a bit surprised how well it ran, since my processor is actually below their minimum spec. I'd love to see how this game looks at full detail, because it's pretty. I really enjoy the size of the levels, and how much detail they put into side quest areas of discovery. I was really bummed when (spoiler) in that building wrecked by the planet's lightning, you don't actually get to see what's behind the door guarded by that robot.

It seems like a very fun place to explore.

Combat:

Combat is cool, definitely much improved over the previous Mass Effects. Everything moves smoother, shooting is more fun, you can easily outflank your enemies / take the higher ground and have a huge tactical advantage.

Only downside so far, all powers have an individual cooldown. I don't like that. I LOVED the balance they had achieved in ME3, I have no idea why they went away from that. Setting up Combos is now significantly harder because you can no longer control your squad mates' power use directly. I fail to understand the reasoning behind this.

The UI:

Consolized, but mostly functional. It's roughly at the same level as the ME3 UI. Only thing, they've now gone the Far Cry route, and require you to HOLD the E button to interact with something, as opposed to just hitting it. Whichever developer first came up with this: FUCK YOU. Whichever person at Bioware decided Andromeda would be better if I had to hold the E button to do anything: FUCK YOU.

What a stupid fucking design decision.

The Story (so far):

Decent. I felt they shipped everyone out to Andromeda WAY too quickly. It's literally like 30 seconds of video, and boom you're in Andromeda. No sense of purpose or of the journey whatsoever. It's like Mac thought "shit, I fucked up with the previous story, quick, let's move on!"

And while I can see the complaints that you become the Pathfinder too fast (though Bioware has always had complaints from people who kept saying it took way too long to get to the cool stuff, so they can't really win whatever they do.) I do like the way they made it happen. I actually thought that (spoiler) Alec's sacrifice and subsequent death so his daughter can live in his stead was well done. Definitely a huge improvement over the usual (continued spoilers, I guess, if you haven't read a single thing about this game) methods of killing main characters, like: an alien kills him, a rock falls on him, he gets Vulkan Ass Rash, etc.

Furthermore, I think that that shit with SAM indicates there's more to Ryder becoming the Pathfinder than just a "Well, you're his child, so here you go." At the same time, people complained before about Bioware games that it took too long to get to the "I'm the coolest guy around" part, so it could be a massive overreaction on their end too.

All in all, I'd say that if you liked ME3, I don't see why you wouldn't like this one, unless you've already made your mind up to be mortally offended by the smallest things and refuse to play what's a very fun game so far because of those. And if so, hey, more power to you.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2017, 00:57.

55. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 21:34 NewMaxx

Wow, kx wasn't wrong.  

54. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 18:40 NewMaxx

Finally got up my second video, seems like YouTube added then removed a specific title under Gaming for this game and that broke my upload twice. Was tired so nevermind my terrible combat and lore-delving, but hey, I like to take my time.

Still intending to do ~2 hrs a day until trial ends so people can see the first 10 hours and the 3rd video (pending more issues) should be up tonight. Having a lot of fun with it but I can see potential "grind" issues on the horizon with resource gathering...time will tell.

Good sleuthing by kxmode...man, I don't like to read that! Also the original Styx was great (if a bit repetitive) and I intend to get around to the "sequel" next. Budget stealth? Yes, please. It's nice to see a new IP being investigated, too.

53. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 16:05 Kxmode

Oh, my goodness. Manveer has no censor. His foolishness has passed into total, off-the-rails, full-blown racism.

https://archive.is/cagZS "Yes, white person, please tell me MORE about how race works. I'll just sit here and listen attentively"
https://archive.is/hnz3l "LRT: More #whitefoolishness. Racism is a thing that totally hampers white lives! HOW HAVE I IGNORED THE PLIGHT OF THE WHITE MAN FOR SO LONG"
https://archive.is/37HYG "Prejudice against white people" can't be a serious thing you are claiming. They don't even approach the same league awfulness.
https://archive.is/Uq1N5 Three links on why minorities making white people jokes isn't racist
https://archive.is/8il1s White people telling me how they are color-blind to race remains hilarious. Oh yes, please tell me how you don't notice color more!
https://archive.is/NSkFz White people not understanding why racists things are racist: A tradition unlike any other #dontsuemejimnantz
https://archive.is/MwWAw LRT: "The arrogance of white people faced with questions of race is unbelievable." #yup
https://archive.is/0ogNT White men hate being blocked on Twitter because it's the first time in their sad lives they've encountered someone not forced to listen
https://archive.is/efA1g Some people think America's past-time is baseball, but it's actually protecting white fragility
https://archive.is/3wfPY "The entire discussion of race in America centers around the protection of White feelings."
https://archive.is/XN3mW No, my life every single day is already a documentary named "White People", I don't really need to see more white tears
https://archive.is/Dn103 Oh boy I can't wait to hear which white woman ends up on the $10 bill! I'm thinking Betsy Ross. White folks love her flag making ass.
https://archive.is/m8EHW Congrats Blackhawks. But white people remember not to riot tonight. Hahaha just joking we all know white people don't riot, they "celebrate"
https://archive.is/FaCX5 White people, I am not here to make you feel comfortable or okay with yourself or the white supremacy you benefit from.
https://archive.is/VRc9b I got 99 problems but worrying that white people think I'm racist against white people ain't one HIT ME
https://archive.is/dTbpk God dammit white people (talking about Fuller House)
https://archive.is/MUsUV "A white woman can live underground for 15 yrs & when she emerges she'll still be white. That's really all you need to make it in the world"
https://archive.is/1vI4D This Vine makes me want to start a tumblr titled White People Having Tantrums
https://archive.is/wmmxs I'm officially following 1000 people now. I think I'm going to spend part of today clearing out who I follow, specifically white men
https://archive.is/AyFkk Justice is not the same as legal. The law is not always just. The US deserves no peace until it acts upon the moral imperative to be just.

How did this amateur hack become the lead gameplay designer at one of the largest developers under one of the biggest publishers in the industry? His resume isn't even that impressive. Besides MEA the last noteworthy project he worked on is ME3; which remains the worst of the three. On principle, and because it's the right thing to do, BioWare AND EA should fire him. I use AND because if one fires and the other doesn't then, it tells me they either support or condone his actions. They should send a strong signal together that racism and bigotry aren't welcomed at EA and BioWare.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

52. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 15:44 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 14:07:
Bummer, I don't have much on my "looking forward to getting it" list.

Check out the recent release of Styx. I hear it's a well crafted true stealth (e.g. can't run around without waking up the castle).

RECENT: Mostly Positive (242 reviews) 79%
OVERALL: Very Positive (3,248 reviews) 85%

Part best? Put together by a developer who doesn't condone or support racism.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

51. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 17, 2017, 14:07 RedEye9

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 23:46:
Wow so much bleh with the demo that I'm done. I've hit about 3 hours and I as much as I'd love some more Mass Effect, I'm not going to finish the other 7 hours left of the trial.

Maybe in 6 months when this game goes on a huge sale I'll pick it up, but I'd rather play ME 1-3 again instead.

WTF happened to Bioware? Is this the results of the Dr's leaving?
Bummer, I don't have much on my "looking forward to getting it" list.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo