Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 12:24 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:55:
In case anyone was wondering why the writing is so awful, its good ol' Mac Walters again. This time with even less writers on the team to even him out. Also they gave this guy a whole game to direct after the Mass Effect 3 ending nonsense? Haha.

I guess Bioware decided they wanted consistent (bad) writing?

The writing in ME3 was *so* uneven. I mean, on one hand you had Mordin's story which was one of the best of the entire series. Even Tali's story with the Geth was significant and moving.

On the other you had the end-o-tron 3000 that spit out 3 different colored endings and managed to screw up the whole ubermensch idea that was one of the themes in ME2 & ME3.

So I guess... knowing that they couldn't always hit it out of the park, they decided to get hit by the pitch and take a base.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 10:55 Verno

In case anyone was wondering why the writing is so awful, its good ol' Mac Walters again. This time with even less writers on the team to even him out. Also they gave this guy a whole game to direct after the Mass Effect 3 ending nonsense? Haha.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

46. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 02:22 CJ_Parker

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 01:06:
For the record I'm running it with a 1080 (at 1080p) flawlessly - but I wasn't really paying attention to the exact performance. I'll report back on that next time, but I do have the newest driver and had no noticeable issues.

Yup. It's flawless but still no 60fps+ joy all maxed out (again: setting shit to 'ultra' is not maxed out... you have to manually max it out via the 'custom' option).
Sure, it's playable with 50 to 70fps (on the first planet) but it's just under 60fps (like 54fps) most of the time.

I just finished the first planet and the story is cringeworthy to the max. No spoilers but guess what happens at the end of the first mission? Yes. Right. Exactly that.
This is a B movie scifi flick all the way with dialogues that have you constantly facepalming and massive logical flaws, too. Why are there ammo caches on totally unknown planets in an unexplored galaxy? LOL. Could they possibly fuck this up more? How about giving us at least an intro mission that makes the slightest bit of sense with a little more suspense and an actual sense of exploration of the unknown???

I'm not buying the waking up after 634 years and first steps into the unknown thing. It's all more like Ryder & co are going to McDonald's down the road. The target audience is clearly braindead kiddies who don't like to think too much about stuff or pay attention to the story just as long as there's lots of 'splosions and shit. Casual garbage confirmed.

Oh, the gameplay sucks, too. Braindead AI as usual and we've come full circle from the first ME because in MEA you can also shoot enemies behind cover without them even returning fire or retreating to another cover position.
BioWhore are also using the same old dumb AI "trick" where as long as you keep aiming at an enemy in cover he won't pop up because he magically knows you got him in sight but if you let go of aiming for a moment or shift position slightly then he'll come out. Retarded. It makes the enemies just as easy pickings as if they'd pop out of cover so what's the point? It's just as exploitable.

Checkpoint saves also suck ass. They could at least save progress when reaching certain objectives in side missions or autosave every five minutes or some shit like that. I lost almost twenty minutes one time I got killed on a side mission because the game did not save a single fucking time on that optional objective. No manual F5 save is enough of an injury already. No need to add massive insults by making a half-assed checkpoint save crap system.

45. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 01:06 NewMaxx

Yep, enjoying the trial from Origin Access. I'm making videos of my playthrough of at least through the first 10 hours (minus character creation and any deep menu diving) to help those on the fence. My first video is available here.

For the record I'm running it with a 1080 (at 1080p) flawlessly - but I wasn't really paying attention to the exact performance. I'll report back on that next time, but I do have the newest driver and had no noticeable issues.

As far as initial impressions go: enjoying myself so far but I won't feel confident saying anything solid until my ten hours are up.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2017, 01:24.

44. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 21:44 CJ_Parker

The free trial is available now (also for Origin Access free trial members which is why I'm playing MEA for 0.00 now... I'm not a preordering tard, of course).
It unlocks at midnight in whatever timezone you are so here in central EU I did not need to fiddle with VPN or anything.
The download is almost 44GB but it becomes playable at 42% "already". The game is extremely demanding and is already pushing my GTX 1080 to levels I have never seen before (no hyperbole) just by being in the main menu. By that I mean temps and fan rpm. No other game has managed to push my card to those levels yet (76C@54% fan rpm).

The menu UI is horrible, clearly made for controllers and most options are not explained at all (unacceptable in a 2017 game). At the remote chance that anyone here cares about their privacy (unlikely with all the Win 10 defending and preordering of EA games etc.) you may want to disable the usage data sharing spying features under the 'Online' category.

From what I have played so far this is definitely a solid 9.99 sale.
Performance vs. visual quality is complete garbage (no 60fps all maxed out on ultra with a 1080 and don't fall for the bullshit trap that the 'ultra' preset is 'ultra'... it ain't... you have to select 'custom' and only then can you really set the real MAX ULTRA settings), gameplay is meh and characters and dialogue are shitty as fuck so far.

So, yeah, 9.99 for the GOTY confirmed. Then I will probably also have a Volta GPU and be able to properly max out this pig.

43. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 20:39 Task

bigspender wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 19:34:
And that's why you don't pre-order games :-)

I learnt my lesson with Arkham Knight. And while they were able to fix the technical issues in the game, you can't really fix the flawed gameplay mechanics in a game like Mass Effect 4, well you can, but they're not going to.

I didn't thankfully... I probably should have been paying more attention lately with Andromeda, but it seems people had some fair points from earlier threads that this may be a let down of a game. I thought about giving EA/Bioware the benefit of the doubt, hoping they'd learn from past crap. Then again EA fucks shit up.

I just saw this video, for example, maybe this is Beta and Preview footage stuff? But damn, those animations are pretty bad. Like worse than Bloodlines, and that game is OLD. And certainly no where near as well-crafted as CD Projekt's God Level abilities. And then I'm like, "Ok, that's animations, if the game looks shit I can handle that, gameplay/story can make the game," but then reading hints that the story/quests are dog piles :\.

Once Andromeda is released I'm forgoing my own spoiler embargo and watch some let's play to see if the badness persists. If this game is a turd, I'm definitely not giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt for that new, unannounced 'mystery' RPG they are making.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2017, 20:57.

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

42. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 19:34 bigspender

And that's why you don't pre-order games :-)

I learnt my lesson with Arkham Knight. And while they were able to fix the technical issues in the game, you can't really fix the flawed gameplay mechanics in a game like Mass Effect 4, well you can, but they're not going to.

41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 18:48 Task

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:55:
Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:28:
And from that first bit of the RPS it seems whatever Bioware was going for with the whole "new universe" trope, it reads to me like they went for generic action Sci Fi schlock.

The only reason they went with "a new universe" is because there was no way for them to re-use the Milky Way after the Mac Walters' special that was ME3. I hope someone just mods all mentions of Andromeda out of it, and we can just pretend it's the Milky Way galaxy.

But even so, Sci-Fi Schlock is kind of the whole motto of Mass Effect. It's Star Wars, not a Space Odyssey.

Yes, I know that's the 'why' they chose the new universe trope. What I mean is how well written that tried story can be told altogether. Take The Expanse books as a recent example (now adapted for TV) spoiler they go to a new universe or galaxies/star systems/etc and it's done pretty well, wild and weird.

And why not Space Odyssey? Isn't that the idea, Star trek style? Mass Effect or parts of it remind me way more of that like Deep Space Nine than Star Wars. Star Wars is definitely an awesome schlock in the space ways, but it's underlying story isn't boldly exploring, but an allegory for rebellion and republics falling into the ruin of Empire.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2017, 19:33.

40. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 18:02 Redmask

Origin Early Access trial is sort of up for VPN users. In case anyone was wondering the shitty UI from Dragon Age Inquisition that no one thought could get worse? It's worse in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Save your money.

39. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 18:00 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:03:
I think the biggest difference between what Zelda did here and what DA:I does (and apparently ME:A) is that there aren't 900 icons on the minimap that you just have to go run to and press a button... you actually have to find the seeds and solve a puzzle, you can't just mindlessly beeline between map markers like the Bioware sidequests.

That's cool, but that means there are 900 puzzles in Zelda?

38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:55 Creston

And from that first bit of the RPS it seems whatever Bioware was going for with the whole "new universe" trope, it reads to me like they went for generic action Sci Fi schlock.

The only reason they went with "a new universe" is because there was no way for them to re-use the Milky Way after the Mac Walters' special that was ME3. I hope someone just mods all mentions of Andromeda out of it, and we can just pretend it's the Milky Way galaxy.

But even so, Sci-Fi Schlock is kind of the whole motto of Mass Effect. It's Star Wars, not a Space Odyssey.

37. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:54 Redmask

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:40:
frankly that seems like wishful thinking at best

almost all of the games Ive ever played have the best content front-loaded into the opening and middle portions of the game, with the end game in various states of being half-assed or phoned in

Yeah this looks like a turd from a studio who lost most of its real talent. After reading this I went and looked up the video, its worse than people here indicated. Any studio who thinks its a good starting point for the game probably aren't going to redeem themselves later on. I predict a low 80s metacritic because EA throws around a lot of ad money but a very low user score.

36. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:49 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:19:
The seeds are all hidden behind cool shit is the difference.

I was just trolling.

Go play the game man, trust me it fucking owns. There's 100+ shrines but you never get bored of finding them. I bought the whole system for this one game after playing it at a buddys place. Never could have predicted a fucking Zelda game would raise my bar for open world titles.

Nah, I don't buy entire systems for one game anymore. Going to build a new PC sometime soon, so gotta save up.

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:44 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:40:
almost all of the games Ive ever played have the best content front-loaded into the opening and middle portions of the game, with the end game in various states of being half-assed or phoned in

Eh, the intro mission on Mass Effect 2 was pretty terrible. Boring ass metal colony with a few robo dogs, with Miranda and Jacob as your crew. The one in ME3 wasn't great either. Later missions became significantly better in both games (and in the case of ME2, the best mission came all the way at the end.)

So at least in the case of Bioware that's not always true.

34. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:40 Agent-Zero

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:15:
Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:08:
Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are.

In the opening mission. I think it's probably fair to put that up as a caveat.

Well yes, I saw that, I hope it's not evidence of most all other parts of the game though. I mean this is Bioware, they've been hit or miss for quite a while now.

CD Project should just offer a 101 course for devs on how to combine writing with non-trite character interaction+quest design.

frankly that seems like wishful thinking at best

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 17:28 Task

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:15:
Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:08:
Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are.

In the opening mission. I think it's probably fair to put that up as a caveat.

Well yes, I saw that, I hope it's not evidence of most all other parts of the game though. I mean this is Bioware, they've been hit or miss for quite a while now.

CD Project should just offer a 101 course for devs on how to combine writing with non-trite character interaction+quest design.

And from that first bit of the RPS it seems whatever Bioware was going for with the whole "new universe" trope, it reads to me like they went for generic action Sci Fi schlock. Maybe something meaningful happens or they make players 'think deep' but so far it doesn't seem that way besides diplomacy with a barrel of a Sci Fi gun.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2017, 17:39.

32. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:22 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:31:
Yeah, Ubisoft games are getting absolutely awful with it. If as a dev you have to provide menu options for players to turn shit off, you know you're just badly overdoing it.

First good convo overall, agree with a lot, some I think is overstated, but I agree we need the options. There are too many different types of players and there are different moods at different times with the same player.

Hand holding by harder-cores is always bashed, but then sometimes I play a game that is known for no hand holding and I get bogged down on what's next and that brings in a certain negative vibe with it to. I don't want to always map but worse yet, I don't want to always wiki.

Sometimes the game is an ok game to the point I want to finish it but in a get in and get out type of sense. I don't want to extended it with a "what to do next" feeling for sure. Sometimes I got something epic and I want it to last (the rarest game) and there I don't want all the hand holding, just live it. Where I find those are more in wide open games with not a ton of story, where you are sort of making it your own narrative, but were all different, some people can't even relate to that.

Ideally is a masterfully crafted game, that can be everything without the hand holding, it all is just spot on, in its story it makes it clear where and what to do next, no confusion, just happens naturally, I'm not even sure I played that game yet.

D:OS prides itself on no quest markers, one of the top complaints by users "Not sure where to go next", looks at stats... less than 10% finished the game. What are the chances those players are going to buy your next game? Answer toggle options, as a developer don't be so damn stubborn either way on what your players want, sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't, they will lose sales because of this. Those that are hard core, mind your own 2 cents and play it with markers off. Shit I get negative replies when I suggest a toggle.

I know this, I have this back log always calling me from afar and it is telling me... "get in, get out, get next" and most games are only that good anyway, talking single player games.

31. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:19 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:50:
So, about Zelda, since a few people mentioned it as "having none of this."

900 seeds to pick up?

Seriously? Nine HUNDRED? (on the bright side, you get a literal pile of shit when you finish it!)

The seeds are all hidden behind cool shit is the difference. I actually want to find them. Not all of them mind you, if I miss some then who cares but at least its never a chore. Go play the game man, trust me it fucking owns. There's 100+ shrines but you never get bored of finding them. I bought the whole system for this one game after playing it at a buddys place. Never could have predicted a fucking Zelda game would raise my bar for open world titles.

Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are. Kotaku's first impression doesn't mention it for some reason, but it's Patricia - she seems more like a lot of gamers that are into really simpleton stuff.

The whole thing is up on Youtube already, I think IGN or Eurogamer posted it. Spoiler alert, its really bad.

To be fair though, its the intro mission. Maybe it gets better later on, I guess we'll find out when the embargo is up.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

30. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:03 descender

Zelda has had some pretty bad collect quests in the past (skultullas in ocarina sticks out and that was only like 24 of them?, and the trading/pictobox quests in Windwaker)... but 900 seeds that's just fucking mean.

It does seem to me like there is a lot of purely optional items to collect in BotW so at least it has some longevity there.

I think the biggest difference between what Zelda did here and what DA:I does (and apparently ME:A) is that there aren't 900 icons on the minimap that you just have to go run to and press a button... you actually have to find the seeds and solve a puzzle, you can't just mindlessly beeline between map markers like the Bioware sidequests.

29. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 16:50 Creston

So, about Zelda, since a few people mentioned it as "having none of this."

900 seeds to pick up?

Seriously? Nine HUNDRED? (on the bright side, you get a literal pile of shit when you finish it!)

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo