Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Pi Day! I'm hoping this means the nor'easter we're currently experiencing around here will end up being known as the Pi Day Blizzard, which has a much better sound than Winter Storm Stella (unless, of course, you shout STELLA like Brando). It's going to be hours before the snow stops falling, so I have to decide if I want to go out at some point and do some intermediate shoveling so I don't have to try and move more than a foot of snow at once. Maybe there's time to entertain the notion of just ignoring it until it goes away, with spring just a week off, except there's more snow in the forecast for the weekend. Apparently Mother Nature has thrown out her calendar.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ghost Sniper.
Science: Natural swings partly responsible for Arctic sea ice loss.
Space Sex Is Serious Business.
12 FACTS ABOUT FARTING YOU PROBABLY DIDN’T KNOW.
Media: Highway through a Building.
LEMMINGS AND DOG! - LEVEL 2.
English bulldog rolls down hill and has encore performance.
The Funnies: xkcd: Chat Systems.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2017, 21:21 jdreyer

I came here for the lulz. Was not disappoint.  

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 12:06 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 10:20:
What a dumb name. It'll never last.
Main revenue stream as Internet ads? CRAZY! It can't work!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:20 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 06:08:
descender wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:42:
I don't think too many people move to downtown Manhatten, one of the most expensive areas in the world to live... to work for a random "tech company". I sure hope he didn't do that...

I think you misunderstand the area he is moving to entirely. Odds are better that he is working for a Fortune500 company, probably a bank.

Actually, it looks like he's working for a small startup called "Google"

What a dumb name. It'll never last.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 06:08 jdreyer

descender wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:42:
I don't think too many people move to downtown Manhatten, one of the most expensive areas in the world to live... to work for a random "tech company". I sure hope he didn't do that...

I think you misunderstand the area he is moving to entirely. Odds are better that he is working for a Fortune500 company, probably a bank.

Actually, it looks like he's working for a small startup called "Google"

28. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 11:42 descender

27. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 11:25 BobBob

descender wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:37:
Ouch. That's a lot more than the South Bay, LA. For example.

That's gotta be almost an hour drive in traffic to the downtown area, right? Twice a day? How is that the same?

If I correctly understand where SMA's apartment is... it's IN the downtown financial district (basically all of southern Manhatten). There is a premium on living there because it's basically the mecca of business and money.

Not everyone works in downtown LA. Many tech companies are based in the South Bay.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

26. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 10:37 descender

That's gotta be almost an hour drive in traffic to the downtown area, right? Twice a day? How is that the same?

If I correctly understand where SMA's apartment is... it's IN the downtown financial district (basically all of southern Manhatten). There is a premium on living there because it's basically the mecca of business and money.

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2017, 09:36 BobBob

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 22:16:
Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:43:

$3500 rent, right?

$2950 for a 1bd/1bath... yeah, everything has its downside. Toss in brokerage fees and the security deposit and there was some definite sticker shock when it came time to get the cashier's check for move-in.

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 23:20 Rigs

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 22:16:

$3500 rent, right?

$2950 for a 1bd/1bath... yeah, everything has its downside. Toss in brokerage fees and the security deposit and there was some definite sticker shock when it came time to get the cashier's check for move-in.

HOLY Christ! Wow That's half a years rent for me! Guess I ain't goin' home anytime soon then...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 22:16 Scottish Martial Arts

$3500 rent, right?

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 15:43 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 10:44:
I was supposed to fly to New York today, but the blizzard means it's going to happen Thursday instead. My job doesn't start until Monday, so things should still all work out, but I had a brief moment of panic Sunday night when the airline emailed me to say that my flight had been cancelled. In the meantime, I get to enjoy a few more days of 78F and sunny weather here in early spring Los Angeles before deplaning into sub freezing temperatures at LaGuardia. Why am I moving to NYC again?

$3500 rent, right?

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 13:13 Beamer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 09:52:
Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 00:19:
Wallse? Still haven't tried it, somehow. I always forget it's there. It's always emptyish. You have another within a 6 min walk, and one that just lost a star even closer.

And crispo right there!

The Spotted Pig, with only a single Michelin star. I don't think I've ever eaten in a Michelin rated restaurant: the menu looks good so I think I'll start here (after I get my first paycheck, move-in costs for NYC have drained my non-"break glass in case of fire" bank accounts).

Bad news: they lost their star in 2017, haha. Deservedly, I think. The wait to get in is insane, the food is just ok (the burger is wildly overrated, and some items just aren't very good, but some items are absolutely outstanding), and the service is kind of crappy by design. I have friends that love the burger, but to me, there are better burgers in NYC. You're also right new Corner Bistro, which is a delicious $8 burger, and Café Cluny, which is a $20 burger I find better than Spotted Pig's (heresy to almost anyone, but true.) Beatrice Inn just reopened near you, with what's supposed to be a fantastic burger (but they say to get a meat pie instead), and Brown Derby (or was it Black Derby) is across the street with a solid burger and never, ever a wait to get in.

Wallse is also very close, which is Austrian, and Piora is just down Hudson, and I can't recommend going there for a cocktail enough.

-------------

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 09:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 00:19:
Wallse? Still haven't tried it, somehow. I always forget it's there. It's always emptyish. You have another within a 6 min walk, and one that just lost a star even closer.

And crispo right there!

The Spotted Pig, with only a single Michelin star. I don't think I've ever eaten in a Michelin rated restaurant: the menu looks good so I think I'll start here (after I get my first paycheck, move-in costs for NYC have drained my non-"break glass in case of fire" bank accounts).

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 05:44 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 19:09:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 18:36:
On the downside, there's no pr0n industry in NYC to work weekends on the side.

ROFL. Hey, I was young and needed the money! While I suppose I'm now permanently disqualified for running for political office, I don't regret the experience of doing a couple pr0n shoots: at this point in my life, it makes for a good "you won't believe what crazy shit I was up to right out of college" story.

Not sure that's such a big deal as it was even five years ago. I mean, look at who got elected president.

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 00:19 Beamer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 11:40:
. Oh, and a Michelin-rated restaurant is also two blocks away.

And crispo right there!

-------------

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 22:39 BobBob

Play this song when you arrive. Then. Play this other song next winter.  

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 19:09 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 18:36:

ROFL. Hey, I was young and needed the money! While I suppose I'm now permanently disqualified for running for political office, I don't regret the experience of doing a couple pr0n shoots: at this point in my life, it makes for a good "you won't believe what crazy shit I was up to right out of college" story.

Nice scenery in that pic. Also, the beach and the sunset were nice too.

Hehe, once I realized I had gotten a great shot, I tried to flag her down to see if she wanted me to email her a copy of the photo (or delete it if she wasn't comfortable with having been photographed), but by that point her friend had caught up with her and they were already skateboarding off down the bike path.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 19:03 Rigs

Blue wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 13:19:
BobBob wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 11:12:
It's not just the weather. Compared to Southern Californians, the people there seem a lot more stressed out, pushy, in your face, and take themselves far too seriously. I regularly visited Manhattan Upper East Side many years ago. I prefer our laid-back California beach culture that we have here. You too may realize that distinctive cultural difference and wish to return.

I can't see where you'd get the impression that New Yorkers are any of the things you describe. The epitome of polite behavior in the city is leaving other people alone and minding your own business, and unless confronted, that's most of them act. Not to presume, but describing people as "taking themselves far too seriously" (and all those other things for that matter) sounds like someone who wasn't respecting boundaries (perhaps by being too laid back?).

I'm with Blue on this, born and bred in North Jersey (I moved to FL when I was 15 in 1993, I was there for the Superstorm of '93, which was almost exactly 24 years ago, to the day - March 12th-13th, 1993, we got 32 inches of snow in Stillwater, Sussex County, with six foot snow drifts that didn't melt until mid-May), while I can't stand NYC weekend drivers (and conversely, they can't stand us), I've never had problems with anyone on a social level. As Blue says, most people just do their thing and keep to themselves. Back in the late 70's, early-mid 80's, the city was a lot different. For all his screaming rhetoric now, Giuliani cleaned the place up good. My sister used to go into the city in the 80's, when she was in her 20's, all the time and we'd worry every time. During the 90's, when she worked there, we didn't really have that same level of fear.

I went back to NJ for a year in 2000-01 (first living in Passaic and then Rutherford/Wallington) and went for a job interview that took me to the base of the Twin Towers not five months before they fell. I went alone, one of the only times I'd done so and I got lost in the subway. Not only did the people in the booths let me go where I needed to for free, they radioed ahead and had someone there at the other end to show me where to go when I got off. Nicest people I could have ever hoped to have run into. I actually didn't make it to the other end I was supposed to go to because they made us get off the subway about four blocks from where I was going but I just walked the rest of the way after asking where to go again. Standing at the bottom of the North Tower and looking up...never forget it! It just kept going and going...my interview was across the street and had I gotten the job, I would have been there on 9/11.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 18:36 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 11:40:
BobBob wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 11:12:
It's not just the weather. Compared to Southern Californians, the people there seem a lot more stressed out, pushy, in your face, and take themselves far too seriously. I regularly visited Manhattan Upper East Side many years ago. I prefer our laid-back California beach culture that we have here. You too may realize that distinctive cultural difference and wish to return.

Good luck. Thumbsup

Yeah, it's been kind of bittersweet to say goodbye to my home state. I'm super excited to live and work in Manhattan but California, both NorCal and SoCal, is home. On the other hand, on Saturday, I took a trip out to the Getty Villa in Malibu as part of my goodbye to LA tour, and it took nearly two hours to get there, and nearly two hours to get home. On a Saturday. In contrast, I'm going to be a 10 minute leisurely walk from work in NYC, laundry service is available right next door, a grocery store is one block away, and the pharmacy is two blocks away. Oh, and a Michelin-rated restaurant is also two blocks away. So while the weather and less laid-back people will take some getting used to, the fact that I won't be contemplating suicide every time I get on the 405 will be a definite advantage.

That said, it's hard to say goodbye to something like this: I took this photo at Venice Beach last week

Nice scenery in that pic. Also, the beach and the sunset were nice too.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 18:33 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 10:44:
Why am I moving to NYC again?

Because the bagels are to die for. TO DIE FOR.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo