Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Top 10

Here's Valves list of the bestselling titles on Steam for last week, half of which were Ghost Recon Wildlands:

1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  2. H1Z1: King of the Kill
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. NieR: Automata
  5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  6. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  7. Blackwake
  8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  9. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  10. Left 4 Dead 2
View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 23:54 Jerykk

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 05:12:
39% is a minority, still it is quite a large minority. Most people rate games positively, whether they are shit or not. Shit, the entire AAA industry is based on the stupidity and short memory of the majority of the gaming population.

Eh, that's not always true. If a game has a lot of negative hype, the user reviews tend to reflect that even if it isn't warranted. Mafia 3, Arkham Knight, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, HITMAN, Just Cause 3... games will often get a ton of negative hype for overblown performance issues that affect a vocal minority of players or dubious marketing/business decisions made by the publisher. Other times, games will get poor reviews for political reasons. HITMAN got a lot of negative reviews just for being episodic and requiring an online connection.

Torment got a lot of negative hype before release because some of the stretch goal features were cut or minimized. If you look at the complaints in this thread and most of the negative reviews, they fixate on said cuts. That's the problem with having specific stretch goals. Game development is an iterative process that's heavily influenced by time and money. It's extremely rare for a finished game to completely follow its original design doc. Features that seemed good and feasible on paper eventually prove otherwise. In most cases, players never know about these features so they aren't disappointed by their absence. However, the transparency of crowdfunded projects means players expect the final game to exactly match the original pitch, even if that's not how game development actually works.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 15:35 Orogogus

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 05:12:
39% is a minority, still it is quite a large minority.

31%, not 39%. There seems to be enough number-related confusion already.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 11:30 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 08:55:
In case anyone was wondering, Wildlands is a soulless piece of shit. Same shitty formula from Far Cry with outposts combined with the Ubisoft Terrain Generator 2.0. The world feels empty and pointless, much like your generic and repetitive objectives in it.

It is a bad game.

Yeah that's kind of how it seemed. Thanks for the heads up!

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 10:33 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 20:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 16:21:
Haha. No sign of Torment. Pretty dead out the gate that one and well deserved after the half-assed job they did on that "game" or visual PDF more like... and don't gimme PST was like that because it wasn't. PST was 500% more actual game than TToN.
Still glad I got a last minute refund for my pledge a few weeks back. The feature cuts and the fact that they put nicer stuff into the retail CE than the "exclusive" backer CE broke the camel's back for me.

#schadenfreude

So... you haven't actually played the game?

Of course he hasn't.

In any case, I'm quite enjoying Torment. I hadn't kept track of the cuts etc, so it's sad to see how much they ditched. On the flipside, this is NOT a small game, it feels very expansive, and I quite enjoy the myriad ways of finishing quests etc.

My favorite part is that everything you come across is a "Wtf is this?" encounter. Most of the stuff is just there for flavor, but you can find some cool things and even some interesting side quests by examining all of it.

There are some excellent quests where you really have to puzzle your way through to the "good" solution. I've probably replayed the Inifere encounter four or five times now, and you REALLY have to work at it to get it to a good point.

There are some bad sides. Most companions are pretty blah, it's often verbose for the sake of being verbose, not really for the sake of having much to tell, but all in all I'm enjoying it.

However, once ME:Andromeda comes out I will switch to that, and whether I'll return to Torment to finish it after... I don't know.

:-shrug-: for 20 bucks it seems a perfectly fine RPG to me.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2017, 11:02.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 05:12 VaranDragon

39% is a minority, still it is quite a large minority. Most people rate games positively, whether they are shit or not. Shit, the entire AAA industry is based on the stupidity and short memory of the majority of the gaming population.

I still put more stock in Agent Zero's review (and a few other detailed reviews I've read of the game, as well as the gameplay videos I've seen) over a % "number".

Im not discounting Jeryyk's opinion, but two of the biggest draws to Planescape: Torment for me were:

1) The setting. I loved D&Ding in the Planescape setting.

2) The intricate and very specific humour of the game.

Both things are missing from Numenora. The setting looks fairly interesting, however the writing and characters seem to fall fairly short of the standard that this type of game needs to have to overcome it's other shortcomings. (The terrible combat for one).

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 03:09 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 00:51:
In case anyone was wondering, Wildlands is a soulless piece of shit. Same shitty formula from Far Cry with outposts combined with the Ubisoft Terrain Generator 2.0. The world feels empty and pointless, much like your generic and repetitive objectives in it.

It is a bad game.

How does it compare to Just Cause 3?

Ghost Recon is all about co-op. If you aren't playing it with friends, it's not worth playing. If you are playing it with friends and you max out the difficulty, it's a lot of fun.

44. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 14, 2017, 03:07 Jerykk

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 04:49:
I wouldn't write off Torment based on the opinions of the vocal minority.

Maybe you wouldmt, but thats because you are biased.

Um... sure? I mean, I played the game and enjoyed it so I guess I'm biased? The majority of reviews are positive so I'm not in the minority. Speaking of which...

it depends on where you look

OVERALL:
Mixed (577 reviews) (this summary uses only reviews purchased directly from steam)

I'm not sure why you would exclude copies sold or obtained from places other than Steam. Hell, the majority of reviews come from people who didn't buy it from Steam.

Also, you really shouldn't accuse people of being biased when you went on a lengthy tirade about how inXile are bastards for cutting or changing content from their paper design. You even went so far as to compare them to Trump. From what you've said in this thread, it seems like you were committed to hating the game before it even released.

Out of curiosity, have you actually played Torment? You posted a quote from the RPG Codex review. Was that the best expression of your personal experience with the game or was it simply a validation of what you want to believe?

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2017, 04:17.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 00:51 jdreyer

It is a bad game.

How does it compare to Just Cause 3?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 00:51 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 08:55:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 22:56:
I think the biggest mystery is L4D2. Who doesn't own that by now?
Never even considered it. Never played the original.

Right, but you probably wouldn't even grab it for free. It's just not your thing.

But it begs the question: all the people who want to own it grabbed it when it was $5, which it has been twice a year for the past 5 years. Why is it #10 all of a sudden?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

41. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 17:05 Orogogus

Is it that you don't know what a minority is? It means less than 50%.

Steam tells you that 69% of the Steam purchaser reviews are positive, and 71% of all reviews. So a majority of those reviews are positive. I don't even see what the problem is here, but you're off-your-meds hostile about it.

40. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 16:27 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 16:20:
hey genius - 69% of 577 is not 575

You also said 575 reviews previously. There have been 2 new reviews since.

39. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 16:20 Agent-Zero

Orogogus wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 15:17:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 14:54:
Quboid wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:09:

Torment: Tides of Numenera
User reviews:
OVERALL: Mixed (575 reviews)

"mixed" doesnt refer to a minority, it refers to an even split, hence the word "mixed"

"69% of the 575 user reviews for this game are positive"

31% is definitely a minority.

OVERALL:
Mixed (577 reviews) (this summary uses only reviews purchased directly from steam)

and if that invalidates any opposing viewpoint for you, great - go make gaming great again in your private echo chamber of cognitive bias that only accommodates supporting viewpoints... and by all means, do enjoy yourself

And if you mouseover on that it tells you Mixed means 69% positive. This isn't something that needs you to double down.

hey genius - 69% of 577 is not 575

the entire list says "mostly positive" of 1272 reviews but the 577 steam purchased reviews are "mixed"

so take that doubledown bullshit and fuck right off into your private world of ignorance

i get it - youre right, im wrong.. yeh, ok, yadda yadda.. go jerk off to it

38. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 16:18 Quboid

User reviews:

"mixed" doesnt refer to a minority, it refers to an even split, hence the word "mixed"

OVERALL:

and if that invalidates any opposing viewpoint for you, great - go make gaming great again in your private echo chamber of cognitive bias that only accommodates supporting viewpoints... and by all means, do enjoy yourself

I don't care, I'm just pointing out the fact that it is a minority. I only checked because your use of such a vague metric looked suspicious. As does complaining about echo chambers because someone disagreed with you.

37. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 15:17 Orogogus

User reviews:

OVERALL:

And if you mouseover on that it tells you Mixed means 69% positive. This isn't something that needs you to double down.

36. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 14:54 Agent-Zero

User reviews:

OVERALL:

35. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 13:09 Quboid

User reviews:

34. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 13:04 Agent-Zero

User reviews:

"BUT BUT BUT!"... yes im sure you have all the responses in the world

and yes PST had tons of writing too, and yes it was masturbatory as hell - but the new one doesnt even get up to that level, it doesnt even do that right.. thats my point. maybe they will fix it in the "directors cut" or whatever, who knows

if you are biased towards this, then yeh - im sure you will like it.. its easy to forgive all kinds of shit when you are biased.. also if you have no clue about these kinds of games but are enchanted by nerdliness, you might love it

im not knocking on that, im biased to certain types of games and give the shit ones a pass because of that as well... its just something that happens - but if you think that phenomena doesnt exist and the game itself is somehow not to blame, thats just fucking stupid

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 11:35 Quboid

It is a bad game.

That's my opinion too. I didn't expect much and I'm still disappointed by how generic everything feels.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 11:03 chickenboo

MajorD wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 10:58:

It is a bad game.

Thanks for the confirmation. My friend had a boner for this for months, it was all he could talk about as the next game he couldn't wait for, pre-ordered it and the whole shebang, but I had zero interest. I figured I would at least try the open beta, which I did, and that confirmed my decision. And now your post reinforced that.

Take note of when he stops playing and goes back to CS:GO or Overwatch or whatever his mainstay is.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 10:58 MajorD

It is a bad game.

Thanks for the confirmation. My friend had a boner for this for months, it was all he could talk about as the next game he couldn't wait for, pre-ordered it and the whole shebang, but I had zero interest. I figured I would at least try the open beta, which I did, and that confirmed my decision. And now your post reinforced that.

Still counting...

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >