Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

You couldn't custom design a better snowstorm than the one that hit here yesterday. Hit isn't even the right word for it, as it implies this was anything but gentle. The temperatures hung right around the freezing point the whole time, so while the grass and trees got a decorative coating, everything that hit the streets and sidewalks melted immediately. It went on this way for hours, and after a while I started to almost feel guilty over how happy this was making me, because it almost felt like I was getting away with something. I guess in a way I did, and my back is grateful for it.

Grateful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: TTMA Arena.
Story: Ridley Scott Is Planning 6 More Alien Movies. Thanks Kxmode.
Science: Harvard theorists: How sailing aliens could have caused fast radio bursts. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Media: Repo Gone Wrong. That escalated quickly.
АTOMIC BLΟNDE Official Trailer (2017) Charlіze Theron Action Movie HD.
Ultimate Captcha. NSFW.
What happens when you put 20,000 volts into a Watermelon? Thanks Boing Boing.
View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2017, 13:22 Nullity

Ridley Scott Is Planning 6 More Alien Movies

My guess is that he isn't actually seriously considering 6 more Alien movies. I think this is just his way of locking up the franchise so he can't be outshined by Neill Blomkamp's Alien film.

I'm a fan of Ridley Scott, but the way that all went down seemed shady.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the article first. He basically comes right out and says as much...

"After revealing he has no plans to let go of the franchise again..."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2017, 18:52 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 03:19:
Dear Hollywood,

There are plenty of original sci fi stories out there. For example, nearly any story from any edition of The Year's Best Science Fiction Anthology would make a better movie than the utter tripe that will be Alien Covenant. Please try harder.

Thanks,
Moviegoers Everywhere.

Tabernacle! Preach it!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 12:12 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 11:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 05:22:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 03:21:
Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 17:30:
Apparently there's a mighty Nor-Easter headed our way on Chewsday. So everyone living in the northeast may have to batten down the hatches for this one. They've already issued warnings for Ontario and New York state.

What? In March? That's practically summer!

Haha I actually once had to shovel a good 10cm snow a day after Easter... since then I scoff at weather analysts telling me how "hot" May or April weather will be.

As long as it's the last one of the season. Crickey, Spring starts next week.

And would you believe it, where I live in Germany, there are plenty recorded instances of this
1970 (snow)
1990 (colder than XMAS, 15th April, no snow though, but freezing low temperatures)
1995 (snow, 17th April)
2008 (heavy snowstorms and frost beginning of April)

I experienced this 3 times so far btw, so to me "spring" has a very transient meaning. Spring to me, means "shit is gonna get wacky" and I don't put my winter clothing away until April has passed ^^

And yes, it happened 3 times in less than 30 years. And before that twice in 70 years. I wonder if this is a trend.. well I am ready for winter until beginning of May ,)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 11:31 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 05:22:
Apparently there's a mighty Nor-Easter headed our way on Chewsday. So everyone living in the northeast may have to batten down the hatches for this one. They've already issued warnings for Ontario and New York state.

Haha I actually once had to shovel a good 10cm snow a day after Easter... since then I scoff at weather analysts telling me how "hot" May or April weather will be.

As long as it's the last one of the season. Crickey, Spring starts next week.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 08:49 Mr. Tact

Dear Hollywood,

There are plenty of original sci fi stories out there. For example, nearly any story from any edition of The Year's Best Science Fiction Anthology would make a better movie than the utter tripe that will be Alien Covenant. Please try harder.

Thanks,
Moviegoers Everywhere.
Preach it Brother JD! Amen. I say AMEN!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 05:22 eRe4s3r

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 04:55 1badmf

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 03:48:
Prometheus was shite, and a wasted opportunity, especially given the talent of the actors involved. Jesus fucking Christ that script was God-awful.

i'll never forget that dude running from the giant spaceship rolling like a wheel, and hes running in a straight line away from it, directly along its path... rather than just taking a hard turn right or left and actually running away from the fucking thing.. just so dumb

i like to think the shittiness of brometheus was because that no talent hack damon lindeloff wrote it. scott isn't much of a writer himself, and all his best work he hires someone else to write the screenplay. it just so happens lindeloff was the wrong choice. that's why i'll never give up on ridley scott. he's still one of the best visual storytellers we've ever had; pair him up with a talented screen writer and that's when gladiator and bladerunner happen.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 03:48 Agent-Zero

Prometheus was shite, and a wasted opportunity, especially given the talent of the actors involved. Jesus fucking Christ that script was God-awful.

i'll never forget that dude running from the giant spaceship rolling like a wheel, and hes running in a straight line away from it, directly along its path... rather than just taking a hard turn right or left and actually running away from the fucking thing.. just so dumb

18. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2017, 03:24 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 21:19:
El Pit wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 17:11:
James Cameron: I am working on FOUR Avatar sequels!
Ridley Scott: I see your four sequels and raise you SIX Alien sequels.

In a month...
James Cameron: I see your six Alien sequels and raise you EIGHT Titanic sequels!
Ridley Scott: Wait.. WHAT?! Titanic SEQUELS?! Okay, okay, I see your eight sequels and raise you TEN Blade Runner sequels!

How old are these guys?!

Disney is working on 6 Star Wars films and about 3-6 sequels for most of the Pixar films.

Disney will outlive both Cameron and Scott, even if Disney is people, my friend.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 03:21 jdreyer

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:31:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:20:
6 more? Scott has gone full Cameron. And he won't even live long enough to make six.

Also I'd trade six shitty Aliens movies for one good one.

but would you trade 6 movies for total healthcare coverage? 10 of 10 seniors disagree lol

I'd take that deal!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 03:21 jdreyer

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2017, 03:19 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 13:36:
Daylight Savings time is near.

This post sums up my feelings about 6 more Aliens
First of all, Ridley Scott is 79 years old, so he won't be around for 6 more Alien movies. Second, Prometheus was the only interesting thing from this franchise since the closing credits of Aliens and it's been abandoned to return to the same old tired "alien kills crew" we've seen dozens of times in movies, tv, and video games. It isn't scary anymore, the alien isn't scary anymore, and what are you going to do for the next 6 movies? Where else can you take the story? Scott is really overestimating the value of this franchise.

Aliens Covenant looks even worse: the soft reboot back to the original.

Dear Hollywood,

Thanks,
Moviegoers Everywhere.

14. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2017, 00:29 Echo Red Park

Six more? Give me a break. I was really interested when Prometheus was announced, just to see the back story of the Space Jockey and the events leading up to Alien. And it started out halfway decent too, setting everything up for the tie-in. But nope, the suits got greedy and fucked that movie up. "We'll make it a trilogy!" And now it's six? Oh, fuck off.  

13. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2017, 21:26 Kxmode

• SlimRam wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 20:52:
    Scott has gone full Cameron.
    You never go full Cameron!

Ridley Scott: I know what I can do! I'm a dude making six films disguised as other films!
    James Cameron: What?
    Ridley Scott: You're a director that doesn't know what type of director he is!
    James Cameron: Well, you're a director who has no idea what film he is directing and claims to know what the film is?

Wacko

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2017, 21:19 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 17:11:

In a month...
    James Cameron: I see your six Alien sequels and raise you EIGHT Titanic sequels!
    Ridley Scott: Wait.. WHAT?! Titanic SEQUELS?! Okay, okay, I see your eight sequels and raise you TEN Blade Runner sequels!

How old are these guys?!

Disney is working on 6 Star Wars films and about 3-6 sequels for most of the Pixar films.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 20:52 SlimRam

Scott has gone full Cameron.
    You never go full Cameron!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 19:03 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 17:04:
    Quboid wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 16:24:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 15:45:
    Six more Alien movies? Nothing more than public masturbation...

Hey if Xenomorphs are your thing that's none of my business but cinemas are not the place to jack off. Wait until it's out on VHS or whatever.
    I suspect you know this, but for the record: I meant it was Ridley Scott's public masturbation... and unfortunately if the films are made they will be in the cinemas.

I think you're right. Like the many Avatar sequels, it smacks of someone who is indulging their ego.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 17:30 Cutter

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 17:11 El Pit

In a month...

How old are these guys?!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 17:04 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 16:24:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 15:45:
    Six more Alien movies? Nothing more than public masturbation...

Hey if Xenomorphs are your thing that's none of my business but cinemas are not the place to jack off. Wait until it's out on VHS or whatever.
    I suspect you know this, but for the record: I meant it was Ridley Scott's public masturbation... and unfortunately if the films are made they will be in the cinemas.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >