Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play

Quake Champions will be a free-to-play game, id Software's Tim Willits tells Polygon. They note there will also be a premium option, something that's part of most F2P games. Here's word on the plan:

Both for-pay and free-to-play players will share the same maps, and compete in the same brackets, Willits said. The only difference will be how they access Champions other than Ranger.

Players who buy the Champion Pack — the de-facto full-price version of the game — will get Ranger and all the other Champions that the game launches with. Everyone else will be able to pay the in-game currency, called favor, to play other Champions for a finite period of time.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 13, 2017, 04:28 Suppa7

Yifes wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 11:27:
As for MMOs or other online only games, the nature of these games inherently prevent your idea of "ownership".

No they don't, quake 3 and unreal touranment called and also warcraft 2 over Kali, we had "online games" back then dumbass, all an "Mmo" is, is an rpg with the server held hostage on the other side of the internet. which was proven with private ultima shards that people played for free on.

Not to mention private wow servers to avoid the sub fee, though outside of popular games most mmo's won't have private servers due to lack of interest from programers/reverse engineers.

So when new games "shut down" forever it will be because of morons like you all.

See what game companies ultimately want here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11444122

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 11:34 Veinman

I don't think the rental concept sounds good, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't permanently unlock characters for more currency. Although it will likely be an insane amount, like it is for Rainbow Six: Siege. That said, it's nice to know that I can try the game for free. I expect I will like it and buy it... I have been a Quake fan ever since there was a Quake, and despite the gaming landscape having changed a great deal, these people are not stupid. Yes, there will be modern nonsense in there, but I am hopeful that there will be modes that appeal to the traditionalists out there as well.  

16. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 11:27 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 06:31:
The whole problem with mmo's are the are just drm'd games where the player never gets control of the game, and the industry is overwhelmingly pushing against game ownership as we've seen with quake going 'f2p' aka a game you never own that wants money dumped into it.

So the poor suckers who pay anything for in game currency get the shaft should the company ever decide to "shut down the game". Probably the dumbest thing in all of gaming is that drm'd rpg's (I refuse to call them 'mmo's, that's marketing') is that the corporate worlds quest to kill gamer ownership.

So no any game program that wants money from us that can be 'shut down' or 'disappeared' by the corporate world is against our long term interests.

Arguing semantics over whether DRM counts as "renting" is moronic. As for the long term prospects of DRM games, as long as there is demand, there will be ways around DRM, either through official channels (like GoG) or unofficial.

As for MMOs or other online only games, the nature of these games inherently prevent your idea of "ownership". No one playing these games are stupid enough to expect the same level of permanence that you champion. Just because people pay money to "rent" a transient experience does not mean they are suckers or that they are ignorant; like in life, there are many experiences worth paying for even when at the end of it, all you have left are your memories.

15. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Pay-To-Win Mar 11, 2017, 08:26 VaranDragon

Slick wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 21:05:

I mean, I'm fine with the game not dying within 2 months like Doom MP did on PC with this constant influx of players, but this hybrid approach could backfire when "noobs" get "pwned" by the "pay2win" classes.

Doom (4?) MP died on launch. Why? It was shit. End of story. The F2P model might make this last a bit, but unless their gameplay is killer, this will die a painful death sooner rather than later. F2P shooters are a dime a dozen, and MOBA shooters well...we all know how popular those are right?

14. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 07:47 NasWulf

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 06:31:

by your standards, everything in life is a rental .. news flash .. nothing in life is free ..

Even titles you own a copy of that are not tied to a DRM system like steam, origin, Uplay etc. will eventually stop being supported, like DOS games or games with login servers.

"but, but ... err ... you can still play old DOS game with a little code hacking or 3rd party program or installing a older OS"

Yes, any piece of software can be hacked, even software that is steam drm, and run on your own private server. Take your WoW analigy .. there are private servers not tied to a drm or paywall that you can play on for free. Look at an older title like Tribes 2, it's login servers are gone but a third party made thier own and you can play on private servers. So on and so on. if it popular enough, people find a way to keep playing even when the bad bad developer take it off line and your "rental" is over.

13. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 06:31 Suppa7

Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 04:35:
Nice rant but missing the point and generally lacking in facts.

You mean your whole post? Almost all modern AAA games no longer release dedicated servers or level editors. #2, steam is drm, and drm means your software is chained to the other side of the internet (uplay, steamworks, etc). AKA it requires you to use steam in order to play multiplayer it has drm. UT2004 and Quake 3 are nothing like modern games that come with in built matchmaking that has servers running at corporate headquarters and cane be 'shut down' at a moments notice, if the multiplayer of the game can be turned off, it's not your game. You're merely renting the game. We saw the same shit with the rise of denuvo and 'checkins'.

>The traditional MMO subscription model is basically dead, which is why almost every MMO has gone F2P.

Is it? Last I checked there's still plenty of mmo's around. F14, Wow is still going and many others. The whole problem with mmo's are the are just drm'd games where the player never gets control of the game, and the industry is overwhelmingly pushing against game ownership as we've seen with quake going 'f2p' aka a game you never own that wants money dumped into it.

So the poor suckers who pay anything for in game currency get the shaft should the company ever decide to "shut down the game". Probably the dumbest thing in all of gaming is that drm'd rpg's (I refuse to call them 'mmo's, that's marketing') is that the corporate worlds quest to kill gamer ownership.

So no any game program that wants money from us that can be 'shut down' or 'disappeared' by the corporate world is against our long term interests.

12. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 04:35 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 03:43:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 01:57:
Renting content in general is stupid.

What do you think MMO's are? Steam's drm? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Path of exile? "matchmaking" integration where the server exe is never released? (fall of cybertron and many other games).

This ship flew long ago when people were dumb enough to pay for mmo's the ultimate game you pay for but never own. Once that took off f2p and microtransactions were inevitable since mmo's is where they all got there start.

That small percentage of humanity that enabled league of legends and other f2p games to thrive is what has killed gaming. Doubly so for the MMO player who pays for mounts INSIDE an MMO he/she is already paying for.

Look at the gouging in world of warcraft - they know the average gamer is just bum fuck retarded.

Nice rant but missing the point and generally lacking in facts.
1) The traditional MMO subscription model is basically dead, which is why almost every MMO has gone F2P.
2) DRM != rental. When you buy something on Steam, you pay once and can access it forever. A rental has a time limit.
3) You don't rent anything in LoL. You can unlock characters with soft currency (earned in-game) or hard currency (paid for). That's the model people are used to and the one that's deemed acceptable for a F2P game. Paying soft currency to rent a character for a limited time? Yeah, that's not going to work out too well.

11. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 03:43 Suppa7

Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 01:57:
Renting content in general is stupid.

What do you think MMO's are? Steam's drm? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Path of exile? "matchmaking" integration where the server exe is never released? (fall of cybertron and many other games).

This ship flew long ago when people were dumb enough to pay for mmo's the ultimate game you pay for but never own. Once that took off f2p and microtransactions were inevitable since mmo's is where they all got there start.

That small percentage of humanity that enabled league of legends and other f2p games to thrive is what has killed gaming. Doubly so for the MMO player who pays for mounts INSIDE an MMO he/she is already paying for.

Look at the gouging in world of warcraft - they know the average gamer is just bum fuck retarded.

10. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 03:03 Slick

Well, UT4 is taking ages to come out, and they have taken a very backseat approach to pushing it out the door. It should be their flagship product, but there's simply no demand for it. Their servers have maybe 150 people on it at any given time, and it's free (don't know if they'd charge for it once released). Epic have clearly communicated that they want "the community" to take the lead in shaping this game, whatever that means, which sounds like code for backburner project that has maybe 2 active developers.

Is it too much to ask for some Lithium II game? laser grapples and rail guns, that's all I want, and quake movement. GET WITH IT DEVS.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

9. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 02:16 Prez

I've never been into strictly skill-based mp shooters because I suck, so theoretically I'm the target audience for this. The problem is that Overwatch is already completely dominating that field. But even if asymmetric, hero-based shooters are all the rage, surely there is still a market for the skill-based shooter. If the Quake franchise isn't going to fill that void, who else will? Maybe a new Unreal Tournament? Of course, Cliffy B isn't with Epic anymore and is busy on Lawbreakers, another hero- based shooter...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 01:57 Jerykk

Using in-game currency to rent characters seems stupid. Renting content in general is stupid. The standard F2P monetization scheme is grind or pay money. Not sure why they don't just have characters cost high amounts of in-game currency for permanent unlocks.  

7. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 11, 2017, 00:30 ViRGE

SirKnight wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 22:40:
Well, as long as the $60 pack is all there is and there isn't continuing nickle-and-diming then whatever.
Ditto. If they want to throw out a freebie to people who otherwise wouldn't get anything, that's fine. But if this game is $60 with all sorts of micro-transactions on top of that, then screw that.

6. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 10, 2017, 23:57 Slick

Oh, the time of an even field is long dead, the "classic mode" will be DOA. The last balanced FPS was probably shootmania, and i don't know counterstrike before that? I'm sure there's some that I'm forgetting...

But look at R6 Siege, it's basically counterstrike with destruction, and heros. People love that shit.

I agree that I like an even playing field, I'm of two minds about the arena pick-ups style modes, camping the red armor gets old, but having map control is a real skill that's gone the way of the dinosaur...

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

5. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 10, 2017, 22:40 SirKnight

Well, as long as the $60 pack is all there is and there isn't continuing nickle-and-diming then whatever. Of course, it would not surprise me in the least if there was. At least this way, I can test the game to see if it blows or not.

The thing that worries me about QC is the classes/heros. Fuck that. I want every player to be the same like all the old Quakes were. You can customize your character a little, but you did not have special abilities or weapons. Supposedly though, there's a mode that makes it more classic like that which I feel most people will be playing.

4. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Free-to-Play Mar 10, 2017, 21:52 MajorD

/twirls finger in the air...

Still counting...

3. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Pay-To-Win Mar 10, 2017, 21:13 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 20:33:
I will be able to tell my grand-kids that I remember when Quake Live was free to play, until it wasn't.

You mean Quake Zero right?

err... Quake 3

2. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Pay-To-Win Mar 10, 2017, 21:05 Slick

This is just to ensure there's a constant flow of the noob class in the game for the others to chew up. Unless you can permanently unlock new characters with the in-game currency, which from the sounds of it you can't, you can only rent.

I mean, I'm fine with the game not dying within 2 months like Doom MP did on PC with this constant influx of players, but this hybrid approach could backfire when "noobs" get "pwned" by the "pay2win" classes.

1. Re: Quake Champions Will Be Pay-To-Win Mar 10, 2017, 20:33 RedEye9

I will be able to tell my grand-kids that I remember when Quake Live was free to play, until it wasn't.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo