Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Bans

A post on Battle.net explains that a bunch of World of Warcraft accounts have been banned for participating in schemes to charge real money for raids and dungeon clears (thanks PCGamesN). Sadly, some of those being punished were members of top raiding guilds, but Blizzard says these transgressions were intentional violations of their rules. Here's what happened:

We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Of the players affected, many were members of top raiding guilds. We want to be clear that everyone we’ve taken action against had illustrated full knowledge and intent to violate the Terms of Use. Going forward, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we’ll be monitoring these activities much more closely in order to make sure that the rules are being followed. This includes selling services for real money, account-sharing, and other violations.

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

If you see people advertising these services, please help us keep the game clean by reporting them. If you’re unsure, here are some common warning signs:

• A “broker” is offering to match buyers with service-providers. Commonly, a broker will collect real-world currency from a buyer while offering gold to a guild or group that will actually provide the service.
  • Someone offering a service is unwilling to discuss terms of payment via in-game tells, and insists on using a non-Blizzard application to communicate.

Also note that Patch 7.2 includes some improvements to our reporting features to add clearer categories for reporting listings in the Premade Group Finder. We’re disappointed to see members of the raiding community participating in behaviors that clearly violate the Terms of Use, and want to be clear that such activities will not be tolerated.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2017, 04:10 Kxmode

briktal wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 10:10:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:36:
Offering a raid run for pay isn't fair play just like selling level boosts isn't fair play. The only difference is Blizzard makes money for one and not the other. Hypocritical nonsense.

A large part of it probably has to do with Blizzard's ability to deal with scammers. If you pay someone a bunch of gold for a carry through a raid and they turn around and say "lol no, sucker" Blizzard can fairly easily take action against the scammer and return your money. But if you sent the scammer some money on paypal, Blizzard a) can't just give you your money back and b) has less ability to confirm the transaction ever took place.

Perhaps, but those actions extends beyond the boundaries of what they should do, which is primarily to keep their game operational, relatively bug-free, and continually expanding. Going to the level of what you're noting is like Blizzard concerning themselves with the time players spend because it might cause health issues and (or) addiction. In other words, charging real money to run someone through a raid has no impact on the game's economy (it's a service fee between private parties), but selling level boosts do have a bearing. That's the hypocrisy I was addressing.

A long time ago Ebay became noticeably irritated with Buyers going outside Ebay's payment system to Paypal to pay their auction purchases (bypassing Ebay's final-cost percentage). Ebay tried unsuccessfully to enforce the "only pay for your auction through us" rule. In the end, eBay was forced to buy Paypal. They only wanted to control their market power. That's what Blizzard is doing. It's a possibility in the future Blizzard will start premium matchmaking services to allow "runners" to take their "clients" through raid content. Blizzard will get their 25% cut.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: WoW Bans Mar 10, 2017, 10:10 briktal

Kxmode wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:36:
Offering a raid run for pay isn't fair play just like selling level boosts isn't fair play. The only difference is Blizzard makes money for one and not the other. Hypocritical nonsense.

A large part of it probably has to do with Blizzard's ability to deal with scammers. If you pay someone a bunch of gold for a carry through a raid and they turn around and say "lol no, sucker" Blizzard can fairly easily take action against the scammer and return your money. But if you sent the scammer some money on paypal, Blizzard a) can't just give you your money back and b) has less ability to confirm the transaction ever took place.

15. Re: WoW Bans Mar 10, 2017, 03:51 MoonSpook

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 21:25:
Again, my question would be does that mean the mechanics for soaking up corruption and properly grouping for special attacks are not active? Seems to me those mechanics are such they lead to wipes. Granted this is all from me watching videos trying to teach the fight.

The mechanics are there, but they're so insignificant now that you can mostly ignore them. Honestly, you'll kill him in one go unless you have the worst LFR group ever.

14. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 21:25 Mr. Tact

Again, my question would be does that mean the mechanics for soaking up corruption and properly grouping for special attacks are not active? Seems to me those mechanics are such they lead to wipes. Granted this is all from me watching videos trying to teach the fight.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 19:55 FloorPie

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:04:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 14:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:35:
What do they expect when they make raiding a requirement to get flying in the newest zone...

Where do you see this? I could have sworn they said raiding wasn't a requirement. I hate raiding.
Part of the quest line to get flying in 7.2 will require Broken Isles Pathfinder, Part One -- which in turn requires Good Suramaritan, which in turn requires A Growing Crisis, which requires killing Xavius in The Emerald Nightmare.

Total screw job as far as I am concerned. People say, just do it in LFR but I've watched the videos of this fight, and it is not just a tank and spank. I don't know, maybe it is easy enough in LFR that you can just do it with a bunch of random people. *shrug*

It will take you far far far more time and effort just to do all the of the dumb suramar quests. Xavius was easy sauce 3 months ago in LFR. You'll wait 10-30minutes for a queue. Big deal.

Its hard to take Blizz seriously on this since they sell in game gold for cash and use in game gold as a way to turn in to real cash value on their products.

12. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 17:36 Kxmode

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

11. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2017, 16:50 HoSpanky

deqer wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:36:
I've always hated WoW's "song and dance" boss fights. And now you can't even pay for someone to help you? Heh

If all bosses were just tank n spank, raiding would be incredibly boring. They're dull enough with everyone standing around for 5 minutes to more after a wipe.

For the achievement toward flight, the LFR version of Xavius has simplified mechanics and super low damage. Even without ever doing a raid prior, you can easily get to ilvl860 just from world quests, so it's not like you'd be forced to go in weak. Even if you went in at the minimum ilvl, it's an easy ride. I'd rather they lock flight behind "actually doing stuff" than a paywall, you lose a real sense of the geography when you can just glide a mile above it to your destination. They spent a lot of time crafting the zones, they want you to look at them! The achievements are largely linked to "just playing the game".

I do feel that guilds charging real money for "ride alongs" is insane. I'm not too proud to admit I paid gold to ride along on a raid fight that gave a mount (Grove Warden). My guild couldn't pull it off and I wanted the mount.

10. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 16:38 Mr. Tact

Alamar wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:11:
... then the boss... Don't need to stand in shit, or not stand in shit... The damage taken is crazy low.
I find that pretty surprising. What about soaking up the corruption pools, grouping up correctly for the special attacks?

9. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2017, 16:36 deqer

I've always hated WoW's "song and dance" boss fights. And now you can't even pay for someone to help you? Heh  

8. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 16:11 Alamar

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:04:
What do they expect when they make raiding a requirement to get flying in the newest zone...

Where do you see this? I could have sworn they said raiding wasn't a requirement. I hate raiding.
Part of the quest line to get flying in 7.2 will require Broken Isles Pathfinder, Part One -- which in turn requires Good Suramaritan, which in turn requires A Growing Crisis, which requires killing Xavius in The Emerald Nightmare.

Total screw job as far as I am concerned. People say, just do it in LFR but I've watched the videos of this fight, and it is not just a tank and spank. I don't know, maybe it is easy enough in LFR that you can just do it with a bunch of random people. *shrug*

When it was relevant LFR content, it was a tank n spank... Now that half the raid is 40+ ilvls higher than what's needed, it's ridiculously easy, and quick... This run (probably because of this achievement requirement) gets more people queue'n, and sometimes even offers a bonus cache for DPS roles. The Xavius queue is only Xavius... You spawn in a room, kill trash a few packs of trash, while standing still, then the boss... Don't need to stand in shit, or not stand in shit... The damage taken is crazy low.

I agree that requiring raiding, even LFR, for this achievement is crap, but this is a great example of it really not being much of a factor ; ) The gated Suramar questline however... That takes a good deal of effort...

7. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 16:08 Alamar

This is a great move, and it looks like they're putting more effort into it going forward... The first set of bans are only a week, which I think is a bit too lenient, but I get the reasoning (They want to let their most dedicated players know that this is not acceptable, but not lose them). The later post stated the next round will be more severe.

The post I saw about this a few weeks ago, from a player, was that they inquired about buying a run, and the 'broker' had them contact out of game, and asked for $150 USD to run them through a raid (I can't recall, but assuming Mythic)... I was pretty surprised to hear the asking price was that ridiculous, but I'm sure some people are paying it.

6. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 16:04 Mr. Tact

5. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 14:49 Frijoles

4. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 12:35 Mr. Tact

3. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 9, 2017, 12:30 Rigs

There's more to this story than they're letting on. Expect a full synopsis to magically appear out of nowhere on Arse or Kotaku in a couple days after everyone has totally forgotten about it. Probably someone pissed someone off at Blizz, most likely by scamming them...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

2. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 12:08 Muscular Beaver

I dont give a shit anymore what Blizzard says is true.
After I got banned for "account sharing" because my IP changed a few times due to me moving and getting different ISPs because several sucked so bad that I had to change a lot, I know how accurate their methods are...

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

1. Re: WoW Bans Mar 9, 2017, 10:12 RedEye9

New cottage industry will sprout up selling assistance on how to avoid being banned for selling services. The circle of life is complete.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo