Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings

The GeForce website talks about the upcoming release of Mass Effect: Andromeda, offering the previously released system specs, discussing PC graphics settings, and showing off some 4K Ansel screenshots of the game. Here's the outline of the settings:

If you’ve played other Frostbite Engine games, such as Battlefield 1 and Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, you’ll know that titles built on DICE and EA’s engine run well and feature a good range of graphics options. Unsurprisingly then Mass Effect: Andromeda continues the trend, enabling you to scale image quality and performance to suit systems old and new.

As you can see below in screen captures of the WIP graphics menu, Mass Effect: Andromeda gives you options for Ambient Occlusion, Anti-Aliasing, Chromatic Aberration, Effects Quality, Film Grain, Lighting Quality, Mesh Quality, Post-Process Effect Quality, Resolution Scaling, Shader Quality, Shadow Quality, Terrain Quality, Texture Filtering Quality, Texture Quality, and Vegetation Quality.

In total there are 16 options that affect image quality, most of which have several detail levels. Additionally, Mass Effect: Andromeda players with a HDR television, or a G-SYNC HDR monitor, can enable the best implementation of HDR seen to date on PC with one flick of a switch in the Video menu.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 12:35 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 04:14:
Sho wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 03:53:
Didn't all previous games in the series have grain on by default?

As long as it's an option ... fine by me. I go forth and back on whether I like it, depends on the specific implementation too.
Yep, all the previous ME games have that option, and you can turn it on or off.

They did? I don't remember that at all... yay, getting old!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 10:31 CJ_Parker

Very well put, Mr. PHJF. That is exactly the sad state of affairs in display land. The really sad part is that you can't even buy quality by spending more.

Some of the most expensive gaming displays like the Asus PG279Q (1440p@165Hz, G-Sync) are the biggest piles of shit ever. They all come with the same abysmal craptastic AU Electronics IPS panels that are infamous for BLB, dead pixels galore and dust particle enclosures. Quality control is apparently nonexistent at that place.
And then to add insult to injury, gigs like Asus and Acer have the nerve to sell this shit in a box for $800+ while also ignoring all quality concerns.

L to the O to the L. Big time.

9. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 08:46 PHJF

Not saying a hardware native HDR isn't ostensibly amazing, but does anyone recall HL2 Lost Coast? That was like 12y ago.

It's not the same. HDR in Source Engine was a lighting trick to make light sources interact with textures more naturally. HDR on TVs is just an industry buzzword for a higher standard of contrast ratio and color accuracy. Problem is, both the video display AND content have to be calibrated for it, so it's not a matter of just flipping a switch and woosh you've got HDR.

And this isn't really progress as I see it. LCD tech always was simply awful, between backlight bleeding, horrible contrast ratios, and wildly inaccurate colors. Returning to the contrast ratio capable on my 15" CRT back in 2000 isn't forward progress. Playing dark games or watching dark movies has been a decade-plus-long exercise in frustration thanks to shitty tech.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 06:36 qsto

So HDR is a thing now, again? And this time it needs hardware level support? Oh well, I guess they need to sell us new hardware somehow and since 3D bite the dust, they had to come up with some new gimmick.

Not saying a hardware native HDR isn't ostensibly amazing, but does anyone recall HL2 Lost Coast? That was like 12y ago.

Then, in the advent of DSLR for everyone, HDR became THE buzzword in photography and people went so overboard with that for a few years, I still cringe at what 90% of Flickr looked like during that time.

I was also culpable of some of that

7. No subject Mar 9, 2017, 04:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Sho wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 03:53:

As long as it's an option ... fine by me. I go forth and back on whether I like it, depends on the specific implementation too.
Yep, all the previous ME games have that option, and you can turn it on or off.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 03:53 Sho

5. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 01:33 Slick

With HDMI 2.1 coming out in the next year (probably) I think that TVs are just going to skip DP altogether, which is a missed opportunity IMO.

And yes, the K8000 is the best for gaming, I was going to try either that or the Vizio p-65, and I opted for the P-65, I sent it back. lag with HDR was 60ms, after a beta patch I opted for was 45, still too laggy. Great PQ tho.

I have my eye on the 2017 LG OLEDs, simply for their latency, which they claim is close to 21ms, which is crazy good for any TV. I'm just leery of their motion handling. The Sony A1E would be the idea candidate, as they have the best processing, I'm just concerned that the extra processing will result in higher lag. Someone on the AVS forums said that it should be around 33ms, which is acceptable, but could be better.

Also did a cursory glance at HDR monitors, no news about that Godmode HDR 4k 144hz g-sync FALD quantum dot monster that Acer and Asus are coming out with in 2H 2017, and the only other HDR monitors I've found are 60hz ones aimed at photography professionals that are exorbitantly priced. Although I imagine that those Godmode monitors will clock in at $1500+.... sigh...

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 01:00 Drayth

Slick wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 22:44:
ooooh nOOOOOOO this has HDR on PC!? ALREADY?

Goddamnit, I need a new monitor/tv, I really don't want to wait to play this game though... fawkkkkk

The Samsung UN49KS8000 is serving me well. They improved the PC mode's latency in a firmware update (so don't go completely by early reviews). I don't even notice lag, but I did in PC mode when I first got it. It's as good, if not really close, to game mode, and I get 4:4:4 chroma this way while gaming.

This TV's game mode is the lowest latency of all the current HDR tv's. It's also one of the brightest. Only downsides are no display port, and it's edge lit. Doesn't end up being that big a deal, imo.

Then again those upcoming gsync monitors look pretty spiffy too.

3. Re: On Sale Mar 8, 2017, 23:29 Kxmode

This is beautiful communication. Tells me precisely what I need to know. Top notch nVidia.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 8, 2017, 23:26 Creston

Good to see a nice set of options, but why Film Grain? This isn't LA Noire, or Resident Evil. It's a sci-fi game...

1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 8, 2017, 22:44 Slick

ooooh nOOOOOOO this has HDR on PC!? ALREADY?

Goddamnit, I need a new monitor/tv, I really don't want to wait to play this game though... fawkkkkk

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo