Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 8, 2017, 07:32 Slick

Frijoles wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 18:28:
New Logitech G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Designed in Collaboration With Top eSports Players.

Still not ergonomic. Why do all the cool keyboards only come in fuck-yo-wrists format?

I like the design, it's good for portability going to LAN events, it's smaller to have a smaller desk footprint, so more space between keyboard and mouse pad, large mouse surface possible, and buttons right to the edges, means that if I want to add my own wristrest I can, and I'm not hobbled by 2 inches of plastic that I can't remove if I want.

Still hate Logitech's mechanical switches though, so no interest from me on that front.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 18:28 Frijoles

New Logitech G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Designed in Collaboration With Top eSports Players.

Still not ergonomic. Why do all the cool keyboards only come in fuck-yo-wrists format?

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 18:10 Beamer

Ryzen is definitely more future proof right now, but I'd wager that, by the time it matters for games, these current processors will be more or less obsolete, anyway.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 16:20 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:46:
And so this creates a really shit situation right now. 7700K is just the better (and absurdly, cheaper) platform for my needs, but would a 7700K really be future proof? Alternatively when my shit explodes right now, what would you say I should get?

Whatever floats your boat, there aren't really any "bad choices" out there right now.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 16:10 Wallshadows

Simon Says wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:26:
see if Intel changes its 4c/8t is "all you need" for mainstream policy for Cannonlake, which is doubtfull since it has already been pretty far in development by now.

From what I understand, Intel's "ace in the hole" for Coffee Lake will be "mainstream" 14nm six-core processors and something like a 15% bump in performance over Kaby Lake but that won't even happen until early next year for desktop users and will likely come on a new socket which would mean that 1151 is, for all intents and purposes, a dead-end socket and 7700K is your last, best option if such is the case.

That pretty much gives AMD almost a year to fine tune their product without much of an answer from Intel in the desktop market since Cannonlake will be reserved for Notebooks and handheld devices due to low 10nm yields. Their focus is to bring their 10nm processors to the low-power market and continue to mature their 14nm processors for the performance market.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:46 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:01:
To be honest after seeing and reading all the updated reviews, I am even more undecided on AMD vs INTEL now. I game on my gaming rig but I also have huge storage requirements, and when the performance equalizes on 4k in benches then that means once this GPU limit is broken by new GPU's, the AMD cpu will be much slower than a 7700K both in DX9 and DX12, so wtf is this telling me about future proofing? Top end mobos have 4 sata ports and 1 m2 port. I have already everything used of that (except M2) so I'd hit the platform use ceiling even before I upgrade anything else in my system.

When I buy a Ryzen 6 or 8 core now, will I end up with a CPU that in 2 years is vastly pwned by Intel 4/6/8 cores like it was back in I7 release days?

Is intel coming with 6 cores on 7700K IPC levels? Will they fit the old platforms or require a new one?

Doubtfull, as the from the ground up, brand new zen architecture matures, developers get acquainted with it, tweak compilers for better performance. As the limits of miniaturization continue to be felt more and more strongly. As AMD ramps up the clocks on Zen in Zen2-3. As mobo manufacturers, AMD and developers/MS sort out the kinks. As developers learn to leverage more than 8 threads, like the Assasin's Creed Syndicate 12 threads usage. The performance gap in games in CPU limited scenarios is going to close significantly. I don't see productivity numbers moving much tho, not that they need to mind you.

Altho I don't recommend jumping on the first gen just yet, and certainly not on the R7 for gaming. I'd wait to see how it looks on the R5-3 or even just plain wait for gen2 and see if Intel changes its 4c/8t is "all you need" for mainstream policy for Cannonlake, which is doubtfull since it has already been pretty far in development by now. There's a high probability, if not a certainty that only the kaby-E parts will be more than 4 cores and there remains to see if the 6c parts pricing will be competitive and even if it is, the platform itself is likely to be much pricier.

Next after Cannonlake, Icelake may or may not break that habit in 2018, altho I guess that Tigerlake in 2019 will most probably offer 6c in the mainstream sector.

All in all, my recommendation for now is to wait and see...

And what if I needed to build a new system (mobo/ram/CPU) right now, future proof for gaming and a bit of photoshop (ok, maybe a lot of photoshop)? This is my big conundrum. Good game performance automatically means good thread handler and memory performance (only the latter being relevant for Photoshop)

And so this creates a really shit situation right now. 7700K is just the better (and absurdly, cheaper) platform for my needs, but would a 7700K really be future proof? Alternatively when my shit explodes right now, what would you say I should get?

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:28 Simon Says

Double post  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:26 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:01:
To be honest after seeing and reading all the updated reviews, I am even more undecided on AMD vs INTEL now. I game on my gaming rig but I also have huge storage requirements, and when the performance equalizes on 4k in benches then that means once this GPU limit is broken by new GPU's, the AMD cpu will be much slower than a 7700K both in DX9 and DX12, so wtf is this telling me about future proofing? Top end mobos have 4 sata ports and 1 m2 port. I have already everything used of that (except M2) so I'd hit the platform use ceiling even before I upgrade anything else in my system.

When I buy a Ryzen 6 or 8 core now, will I end up with a CPU that in 2 years is vastly pwned by Intel 4/6/8 cores like it was back in I7 release days?

Is intel coming with 6 cores on 7700K IPC levels? Will they fit the old platforms or require a new one?

Doubtfull, as the from the ground up, brand new zen architecture matures, developers get acquainted with it, tweak compilers for better performance. As the limits of miniaturization continue to be felt more and more strongly. As AMD ramps up the clocks on Zen in Zen2-3. As mobo manufacturers, AMD and developers/MS sort out the kinks. As developers learn to leverage more than 8 threads, like the Assasin's Creed Syndicate 12 threads usage. The performance gap in games in CPU limited scenarios is going to close significantly. I don't see productivity numbers moving much tho, not that they need to mind you.

Altho I don't recommend jumping on the first gen just yet, and certainly not on the R7 for gaming. I'd wait to see how it looks on the R5-3 or even just plain wait for gen2 and see if Intel changes its 4c/8t is "all you need" for mainstream policy for Cannonlake, which is doubtfull since it has already been pretty far in development by now. There's a high probability, if not a certainty that only the kaby-E parts will be more than 4 cores and there remains to see if the 6c parts pricing will be competitive and even if it is, the platform itself is likely to be much pricier.

Next after Cannonlake, Icelake may or may not break that habit in 2018, altho I guess that Tigerlake in 2019 will most probably offer 6c in the mainstream sector.

All in all, my recommendation for now is to wait and see...

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:01 eRe4s3r

3. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 7, 2017, 13:45 Shineyguy

I used to have this MS Wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Was a little weird at first but I liked it while I had it.

https://pdxpcparts.wordpress.com/tag/microsoft-wireless-keyboard/

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 11:14 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 09:31:
Finally, a keyboard designed by top eSports players. Just when you thought "gaming" keyboards could not get any more expensive.

I've never cared about ProductX designed by GamerBob, nor do I care about GamerBob. I've only ever seen one good thing come of it and that was simply the placement of a single item on a motherboard, so wooop, which in no way remotely made up for the other crap as a result even excluding the price hike.

Thought I'd go have a look at this keyboard, partly as a laugh and curiosity. Came away as flat out disappointed, keeping in mind that's from someone with no respect and lower than the floor expectations.

So Pro GamerBob's idea of a "Pro" keyboard is remove a bunch of the buttons and add flashing lights (I presume they flash/change colour because "Pro"). I would add laughing round about now if it wasn't so sad.

Here, let me suggest a feature I will now randomly pull out of my arse....

Add a mouse wheel to the keyboard minus the usual ridged movement when rolling it, it could be used to control volume easily, quickly and accurately and pressing it down (middle-click style) would mute/un-mute the volume. Giving that more than 30 seconds though a normally little volume control turning nob (rheostat style) that can be depressed for mute would be even better (save that for the future/more expensive v2, because money).

I have many more such crazy Ideas which would actually add functionality to a keyboard, rather than removing features and adding flashing lights. Though I'm not some "Pro" GamerBob so screw usefull things right.

Less buttons/features while jacking up the price, I sure want one of those...

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 09:31 RedEye9

Finally, a keyboard designed by top eSports players. Just when you thought "gaming" keyboards could not get any more expensive.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo