Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined

Funcom announces they've sold almost a half-million copies of Conan Exiles during early access to their survival game. They also restate their previously announced commitment to increase their investment in the game. They say they will put another $5 million to $10 million in the game, a show of Icelandic financial precision from the Norwegian developer. Here's word:

Funcom is excited to reveal the future of Conan Exiles, the studio's open world survival game which entered into Early Access on January 31st this year. The game sold nearly half a million copies the first month and grossed a whopping 1 million USD the first sixty minutes after it went live on Steam. The entire development budget was recouped in less than one week. Today Funcom is thrilled to share with the community what the future has in store for Conan Exiles. Funcom is fully committed to making sure Conan Exiles has a successful Early Access period, and will be investing another 5 to 10 million USD into the development before final launch.

This investment will give players six major content updates, a Game Preview release on Xbox One in Q3 2017 and full launch on Playstation 4, PC, and Xbox One in Q1 2018.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 18:14 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:32:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:12:
Survival Games is the new cash cow. Whether or not they're good is irrelevant. It's the new hotness.

Sounds like Funcom has terrible management and have no clue how to run a company.

I'll be glad when this fad is over with survival games and then it'll be game over for Funcom.

The problem that I see is I don't think dumping 5-10 million more into that game is going to get them 5-10 million more. The survival gamers aren't buying full polish games.. they're ALL early access.

Absolutely. They're chasing the trendy gravy train. Comments like "These games sell a lot, but they’re not that high quality. We could definitely hit that bar" literally implies "We can spend almost no time producing trash in a played out genre, and people will eat it up because they can't get enough of this survival crap." It's a horrible business model.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 15:32 Tipsy McStagger

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:12:
Survival Games is the new cash cow. Whether or not they're good is irrelevant. It's the new hotness.

Sounds like Funcom has terrible management and have no clue how to run a company.

I'll be glad when this fad is over with survival games and then it'll be game over for Funcom.

The problem that I see is I don't think dumping 5-10 million more into that game is going to get them 5-10 million more. The survival gamers aren't buying full polish games.. they're ALL early access.

14. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 15:12 Kxmode

Perhaps this article will provide the real reasons Funcom decided to go with a Survival game:

"Speaking to Engadget at GDC, creative director Joel Bylos said the company was so close to bankruptcy before Conan Exiles it was borrowing from investors to make payroll. Seeking a way out of this dire situation, Funcom took to SteamSpy to see what sort of games sold strongly enough to make the bank needed to keep the company afloat – and which it could afford to make. The plethora of dodgy survival games on Steam was the answer."

“These games sell a lot, but they’re not that high quality. We could definitely hit that bar,” Bylos said. And lo! Conan Exiles was born.

source: https://tinyurl.com/z7wth53

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

13. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 11:37 HorrorScope

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 02:53:
Gamers in general have a very short (read: none at all) memory. Don't you remember Age of Conan? What makes you think this will be any different?

Personally I'm well aware of Funcom overall. Why could it be different? MMO vs Survival is a different scale, PERHAPS one they can handle. We'll see.

12. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 11:00 Tipsy McStagger

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 20:47:
Whoa, another 5 to 10 million? Man!

Pretty decent amount of money.. but will it make the game sell more?

Everyone who wants to play these shit games probably already purchased the early access.

11. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 05:15 Undih

Geez.. If you want to make an Iceland joke please spare us the humiliation of saying Iceland and Funcom in the same sentence.

It's 100% Norwegan

10. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 02:53 VaranDragon

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 02:40:
MacLeod wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:56:
Funcom's goal was very lofty... as seen from this engadget article quote:

Eventually, Conan Exiles would prove to be that game, but the company didn't choose to develop it lightly. First, it took to SteamSpy to see what kind of games reached the numbers it would need for FunCom to survive. The team discovered that if they made a survival game that was only moderately successful, the company would be able to climb out of debt. "These games sell a lot, but they're not that high quality." Bylos explained. "We could definitely hit that bar."

Literally saying "hey, survival games are shit but sell. We can do that!". FFS.

Do you blame them?

Also, I like the idea of an actual studio with experience bringing their professionalism to the genre. Also, CONAN, too.

Gamers in general have a very short (read: none at all) memory. Don't you remember Age of Conan? What makes you think this will be any different?

9. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 02:42 jdreyer

DrSquick wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 22:59:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:40:
Good for them. I want this game, but after ARK no way in hell I'm touching a survival game until it's done, or the end is in sight.

What don't you like about ARK? I bought it pretty close to launch, and the performance was WAY too bad for me to play. A few months ago I got on a survival kick, and played a bunch of survival games. I will say Subnautica is an absolutely exceptional game (just don't read anything about it... Go in blind, the story line is great). Then I chewed through that in 20ish hours, and now I'm back to ARK. Performance still sucks, and taming dinos takes a thousand years, even on 3x speed... But it's a very fun survival game!

I played Ark on one of their free weekends, and bounced off it. I wanted to cruise around exploring, but all I could do was work, work, work: gather food, gather materials, etc. etc.

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 02:40 jdreyer

Eventually, Conan Exiles would prove to be that game, but the company didn't choose to develop it lightly. First, it took to SteamSpy to see what kind of games reached the numbers it would need for FunCom to survive. The team discovered that if they made a survival game that was only moderately successful, the company would be able to climb out of debt. "These games sell a lot, but they're not that high quality." Bylos explained. "We could definitely hit that bar."

Do you blame them?

Also, I like the idea of an actual studio with experience bringing their professionalism to the genre. Also, CONAN, too.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 01:22 Agent-Zero

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 00:36:

That's kind of a funny read on it, but I think the reality is that it's an incredibly hot genre with mostly shit titles. If they can deliver a pretty good game, chances are that it will be very profitable. Sounds like a good strategy.

and if they can get away with half-assing a AAA game because all the competition is already far below that level anyways, all the better!

6. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 00:36 BIGtrouble77

That's kind of a funny read on it, but I think the reality is that it's an incredibly hot genre with mostly shit titles. If they can deliver a pretty good game, chances are that it will be very profitable. Sounds like a good strategy.

5. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 23:03 clint

good to hear, Conan will be on my wishlist for later down the track.

Ive had a thousand hours of the best gaming fun in ark with friends but that game is held up alot by its lack of polish, buggy engine and ui.
I think a AAA company starting with scratch learning from what is out currently could be potentially my dream game.
My common complaint with every survival game. I dont want to look for food and water every 5 minutes or I will die. and in ARK I dont want to hang around for hours taming and gathering. With those settings adjusted my LAN group had a awesome, the best ever time in gaming. At standard settings everyone was going to quit on it.
I am all for more survival games, but the genre is very much in its early stages/

edit, subnautica is shaping up to be awesome (just add coop dammit)
the forest is great, just reduce tree cutting by 99% and make fighting enemies work, (too clumsy)

4. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 22:59 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:40:
Good for them. I want this game, but after ARK no way in hell I'm touching a survival game until it's done, or the end is in sight.

What don't you like about ARK? I bought it pretty close to launch, and the performance was WAY too bad for me to play. A few months ago I got on a survival kick, and played a bunch of survival games. I will say Subnautica is an absolutely exceptional game (just don't read anything about it... Go in blind, the story line is great). Then I chewed through that in 20ish hours, and now I'm back to ARK. Performance still sucks, and taming dinos takes a thousand years, even on 3x speed... But it's a very fun survival game!

3. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 20:47 Creston

Whoa, another 5 to 10 million? Man!

2. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 19:56 MacLeod

1. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 19:40 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo