Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2017, 01:13 saluk

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 11:46:
They should completely remove technology from schools up till at least grade 5.

you see these zombie kids glued to tablets and cellphone screens being pushed around in grocery carts everywhere, many of which could use the exercise of actually walking in the grocery store.

Don't you dare take my oregon trail, logo, and odell lake away from my childhood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3XhWL3rEQ

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Skin deep: Robots to wear real human tissue Mar 3, 2017, 20:12 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:34:
3D-printed skin

Dressing up robots in human tissue isn’t the only way scientists are using tech to innovate transplants: medical researchers in Spain are already using patient cells to 3D-print human skin.

This is kinda sounding more and more like Westworld! I'd assume naturally that the first robot will be called Dolores and be damn handy with a six-shooter

Obligatory.

Yeah, baby! YEAH!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 18:15 theglaze

Orogogus wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:17:
Just want to note: the Rift has access to the Vive's library -- it can play games on Steam or HTC's Vivespot. Oculus is the only one with a lock on its library.

Ah, good point, I never thought about that.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 17:33 NegaDeath

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 16:21:
Let me know when the ipad generation can pass a test from 1912.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/1912-eighth-grade-exam_n_3744163.html

we'll have a party on my lawn for them.

The article leaves out the pass rate of the test in 1912 which is key to making your point.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 16:21 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:02:

you see these zombie kids glued to tablets and cellphone screens being pushed around in grocery carts everywhere, many of which could use the exercise of actually walking in the grocery store.

You think computers should be banned from schools until grade 5? Kids grew up far better with computers than us because they're in front of them from day 1.

And yes, kids are glued to their tablets and phones while pushed around in grocery carts. When we were kids, we were glued to our comics or action figures. Times haven't changed, you've just become the person yelling at kids to get off your lawn (second reference I've made to that in 2 minutes!)

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:02:

You think computers should be banned from schools until grade 5? Kids grew up far better with computers than us because they're in front of them from day 1.

And yes, kids are glued to their tablets and phones while pushed around in grocery carts. When we were kids, we were glued to our comics or action figures. Times haven't changed, you've just become the person yelling at kids to get off your lawn (second reference I've made to that in 2 minutes!)

Technology is being used to babysit not teach. Having an ipad lab for kindergartners is a waste of tax payer money no matter how you want to spin it.

What's funny is if you look at where CEO's of technology companies send their kids you won't find any laptops or ipads.

Let me know when the ipad generation can pass a test from 1912.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/1912-eighth-grade-exam_n_3744163.html

we'll have a party on my lawn for them.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 16:15 BIGtrouble77

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:17:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 14:50:
I love Apple hardware, but I think iPads are just awful for the classroom. When the kids get to middle school, give everyone a raspberry pie and let them learn how a computer actually works.

I was building computers from 5th grade on back in the late 80s/90s. Kids need to be doing that more, not playing tablet/phone games so much.

Not a bad idea. I can totally see giving younger kids that type of tech and then in HS, start giving them every day tools and every day exp type of classes. Along with improved steering and training in fields they excel at.

I'm a software engineer, and thinking of getting into full stack because I grew up in the early days and was building my own PCs from single-digit age. In fact, I've only ever owned PCs I built myself. I don't know any kids capable of that these days, and I kind of worry about their capability to do any real technical work in the future. Considering the direction that the economy is going, it can't be a bad idea to get kids started off "correctly" instead of with these tools that already do everything for them with no explanation as to how they work. Kids need to learn how to learn.

I'm a software engineer as well. I'm contracting for a startup at the moment that is using raspberry pie zeros for all of their hardware prototypes. What you can do with these little machines is just incredible. As a learning platform, they are in a league of their own.

My son has no innate desire to understand how a computer works because he never had the obstacles I had as a kid. I finally made huge inroads when I built my retro pie system and he discovered Metal Slug. Now he loves to hang out when I'm tinkering around with that stuff.

13. Skin deep: Robots to wear real human tissue Mar 3, 2017, 15:34 SlimRam

3D-printed skin

Dressing up robots in human tissue isn’t the only way scientists are using tech to innovate transplants: medical researchers in Spain are already using patient cells to 3D-print human skin.

This is kinda sounding more and more like Westworld! I'd assume naturally that the first robot will be called Dolores and be damn handy with a six-shooter

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 15:32 ForgedReality

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:17:
I love Apple hardware, but I think iPads are just awful for the classroom. When the kids get to middle school, give everyone a raspberry pie and let them learn how a computer actually works.

I was building computers from 5th grade on back in the late 80s/90s. Kids need to be doing that more, not playing tablet/phone games so much.

Not a bad idea. I can totally see giving younger kids that type of tech and then in HS, start giving them every day tools and every day exp type of classes. Along with improved steering and training in fields they excel at.

I'm a software engineer, and thinking of getting into full stack because I grew up in the early days and was building my own PCs from single-digit age. In fact, I've only ever owned PCs I built myself. I don't know any kids capable of that these days, and I kind of worry about their capability to do any real technical work in the future. Considering the direction that the economy is going, it can't be a bad idea to get kids started off "correctly" instead of with these tools that already do everything for them with no explanation as to how they work. Kids need to learn how to learn.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 15:17 HorrorScope

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 14:50 BIGtrouble77

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:39 HorrorScope

Orogogus wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:30:
Running non-VR games on the Rift (and as far as I know the Vive) requires you to either get vorpx to turn them into VR games, or you run them in something like Bigscreen to have a virtual monitor. I haven't bothered, personally, but maybe another VR owner can speak to it.

I was just saying that the Rift has access to the same library as the Vive, since Valve and HTC don't believe in locking people out. So SteamVR is mostly platform agnostic.

Understood, wondered if you had any feedback, thanks.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:30 Orogogus

Running non-VR games on the Rift (and as far as I know the Vive) requires you to either get vorpx to turn them into VR games, or you run them in something like Bigscreen to have a virtual monitor. I haven't bothered, personally, but maybe another VR owner can speak to it.

I was just saying that the Rift has access to the same library as the Vive, since Valve and HTC don't believe in locking people out. So SteamVR is mostly platform agnostic.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:19 HorrorScope

Orogogus wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:17:
theglaze wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 12:51:
Damn…this may have pushed me towards the Rift.

I really just want the headset for the first generation so I can do sim racing. I prefer the whole ecosystem that Valve is developing with HTC/LG and the Indie title support through Steam…but for an extra $475 Canadian?

If I go with the Rift, I can basically upgrade my video card to a 1070 'for free'...

Just want to note: the Rift has access to the Vive's library -- it can play games on Steam or HTC's Vivespot. Oculus is the only one with a lock on its library.

Although, without the Touch controllers you won't actually be able to play most of the VR games on Steam other than the racers and cockpit games.

How are standard games on the Oculus, just pumping the flat-screen visuals to it? Does it look big? Feel a little more immersive being captivated?

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:17 Orogogus

I really just want the headset for the first generation so I can do sim racing. I prefer the whole ecosystem that Valve is developing with HTC/LG and the Indie title support through Steam…but for an extra $475 Canadian?

If I go with the Rift, I can basically upgrade my video card to a 1070 'for free'...

Although, without the Touch controllers you won't actually be able to play most of the VR games on Steam other than the racers and cockpit games.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:09 HorrorScope

HTC says it has no plans to cut Vive price.

Yeah not a bad thought, I can just get the sit down version for now at $400. Hmm....

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 13:02 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 12:51 theglaze

HTC says it has no plans to cut Vive price.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 12:16 HorrorScope

And that is never why it is kids these days. Adults these days.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 11:46 DangerDog

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >