Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

System Shock Remake Gets Unreal

The System Shock Kickstarter page has a "shocking" announcement from Night Dive Studios from GDC (thanks K 2 the W). They say their crowdfunded remake of System Shock is switching to Epic's Unreal Engine because the Unity engine would not allow them to achieve their goals for the console versions. Polygon has a look at the changes and some comments from the developers. Switching engines has not always turned out to be the ideal move for in-development games, but they say they've "mitigated that risk by switching over early." Here's a new pre-alpha trailer showing off the game's new look.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 3, 2017, 10:06 sauron

SlimRam wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 13:12:
sauron wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:42:
SlimRam wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:42:
sauron wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:33:
BobBob wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:17:
Weapon degradation was a horrible 'feature' in the game.

Agreed. In SS2 you could turn it off. I think they added that in one of the patches.
That, and I think you could turn off the respawning too with another patch... if I am remembering that right, hell it was a looooong time ago when I played SS2.

Yes, I am pretty sure you could do that too.

I might have to fire it up again - it really is a fun game and I'm intrigued by the upgrades.
Ditto, all this talk is giving me the itch!

I did follow through with this, and loaded the game up and added a bunch of mods. The whole process only took about 30 minutes - the process is very streamlined these days. The game looks and plays great - it's pretty impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZPYybJXMA

If anyone wants to try this, there's a guide here:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

If you follow the instructions, you really can't go wrong, and if you don't have the game (shame on you!) you can pick it up on GOG for ten dollars:

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 22:35 MacLeod

My concern from this footage is the lack of the UI developed for the original demo. I'm hoping this isn't turned into more of a normal FPS.  

20. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 17:45 Lorcin

Looks like a low budget ps3 game (yes I played the original).  

19. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 14:25 Ozmodan

Yeah, I was kind of looking at Pantheon until I found out they were doing it using the Unity Engine. Unity is a step down in performance from Unreal. You have to make too many changes to the engine to make is work and look good.  

18. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 14:00 Orogogus

Agreed. In SS2 you could turn it off. I think they added that in one of the patches.
That, and I think you could turn off the respawning too with another patch... if I am remembering that right, hell it was a looooong time ago when I played SS2.

I might have to fire it up again - it really is a fun game and I'm intrigued by the upgrades.

I don't think you can shut off respawning completely, only tone it down (substantially). I believe the System Shock and Bioshock games rely almost entirely on spawned monsters, there are only a handful of triggered or pre-placed monsters.

You can shut off weapon degradation entirely, though.

17. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 13:12 SlimRam

Ditto, all this talk is giving me the itch!

16. No subject Mar 2, 2017, 12:45 Parallax Abstraction

Switching to Unreal was a smart move. As someone who covers a lot of different games, Unity titles almost always look dated and run substantially worse. That engine still hasn't shaken off its mobile/web based roots. It's easy to use and get started with but it's not up for high-fidelity titles unless you're prepared to do a LOT of optimisation with it. I've never played anything in Unity that has this kind of scope and both looks better than Unreal and doesn't run substantially worse.  

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

15. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 12:42 sauron

Kittens!

14. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 12:25 Raptor

Had goosebumps at first.

Then it started to look a bit too much like Doom (monster design), but of course it's prealpha so perhaps still be to be improved. Looking great either way.

13. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 11:42 SlimRam

12. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 11:33 sauron

Kittens!

11. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 11:17 BobBob

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

10. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 11:15 Cutter

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:19:
Just checked out that link dude, yea that game does look pretty impressive. I think the dev needs to update his FAQ, he stated 2015 was the intended release, but then it slipped to 2016. well we are now in 2017. any idea when hes going to finish the game? I'm interested in funding it, but I am curious when its really going to get completed.

I don't know. I grabbed it because I had a $5 credit on GOG I had to use up and had heard good things about it and liked the look of it. I only played it for an hour or two before I uninstalled it because I actually really enjoyed it and don't want to spoil anything. So I don' t really know when it's supposed to be done. I think it's actually just one or two guys and while the updates seem to be slow they at least seem to be steady. And the feedback on the whole is overwhelmingly positive. So yeah you can wait until it's done. Besides it's only like 15 Freedom dollars or so.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:47 Wallshadows

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:08:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 09:58:
unity is fucking garbage

No it's not. It's just better suited for other kinds of games than this. I'm in on the EA of the game Ghost of a Tale. It's a Unity game and it's gorgeous - great game too so everyone should support it!

Unity gets a bad wrap because it's the lowest bar of entry for shitty Steam Greenlight games where all you need to do is buy assets, flip them, and all the sudden can pat yourself on the back thinking you're a game developer. I'm fairly certain it had awful multi-threading support (or none at all?) until the Unity 5 update from last year too.

Unity done right is a far cry from what we see in most cases but Unreal Engine seems like a much better "catch all" when it comes to features, fidelity, and scaling with some exceptions like Deathwing.

sauron wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:21:
System Shock 2 looks pretty decent these days when modded. Here are some shots:

http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

But yes, this Unreal engine remake of SS1 is looking really nice. I hope they can pull it off.

That looks pretty clean but I almost want to say it looks too clean. Then again, it's a modded game from nearly 20 years ago so color me impressed that it even runs on a modern OS let alone looks like this.

8. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:21 sauron

System Shock 2 looks pretty decent these days when modded. Here are some shots:

http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

But yes, this Unreal engine remake of SS1 is looking really nice. I hope they can pull it off.

Kittens!

7. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:20 SlimRam

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:12:
Well, I'm sure this is going to set the game back a few months, seeing how they are going to have t ore-create everything they had in place already.

Personally, never been a big fan of Unity, its getting better, but its just not up there with the big boys yet.
Yup, the only good thing about switching engines is that... HOPEFULLY they're assets were made in something normal like 3D Max or anything that can export .obj files. Then they just have to drag the parts into the new engine and rebuild the scenes. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a dandy C++ programmer present and also somebody that knows the Unreal engine backwards and forwards (there is a huge learning curve for the uninitiated ).

6. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:19 Darks

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:08:
unity is fucking garbage

No it's not. It's just better suited for other kinds of games than this. I'm in on the EA of the game Ghost of a Tale. It's a Unity game and it's gorgeous - great game too so everyone should support it!

Just checked out that link dude, yea that game does look pretty impressive. I think the dev needs to update his FAQ, he stated 2015 was the intended release, but then it slipped to 2016. well we are now in 2017. any idea when hes going to finish the game? I'm interested in funding it, but I am curious when its really going to get completed.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:12 Darks

Well, I'm sure this is going to set the game back a few months, seeing how they are going to have t ore-create everything they had in place already.

Personally, never been a big fan of Unity, its getting better, but its just not up there with the big boys yet.

The really need to fix that laser pistol kicking up when fired. Seriously, Its a laser pistol. its not going to have a kick like that.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2017, 10:23.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 10:08 Cutter

unity is fucking garbage

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

3. Re: System Shock Remake Gets Unreal Mar 2, 2017, 09:58 Agent-Zero

unity is fucking garbage  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >