Out of the Blue

Things are starting to get real in the packing up of the BlueTower for its move west. There are currently movers taking out boxes of stuff to put into storage as we prepare our house for showing. We didn't really want to do a two-stage move, but it seems like it's the best way to deal with our circumstances, so here we are. It's a disruptive process, but it is a relief to start getting some elbow room. I'm sure the contractor working on fixing up things here feels the same way.

Westerly Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Surgeon Simulator.
Story: 22 tornadoes rip through the Midwest; 3 people killed.
Science: SpaceX Could Beat NASA Back to the Moon.
More states introduce bills to interfere with science education.
WHO: These 12 superbugs pose the greatest threat to human health.
Media: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer.
Alien: Covenant - Official Trailer.
Mean Tweets – Oscars Edition.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 3, 2017, 03:44
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2017, 03:44
Mar 3, 2017, 03:44
 El Pit

Trump about Pence and AOL: America Online First! No problem, Hillary and her emails on the other hand...

Trump about Sessions and Russia: Sessions is a witch! Sorry, I meant this is a witch hunt. So - Sessions is a witch! Right?
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Mar 1, 2017, 21:41
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 21:41
Mar 1, 2017, 21:41

GotG trailer is tits, now just waiting for the next DeadPool.

Mar 1, 2017, 18:34
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 18:34
Mar 1, 2017, 18:34

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:48:
There's one part of Prometheus that didn't make sense to me.

Oh, which part is that?

The part between the introduction and the ending credits.

No need to put that in secret text. It's not a spoiler. Prometheus squandered so much potential.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Mar 1, 2017, 18:17
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 18:17
Mar 1, 2017, 18:17

BobBob, your Californian 2 cents is needed https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=178725
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Mar 1, 2017, 17:06
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 17:06
Mar 1, 2017, 17:06

Pigeon wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 16:33:
Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:36:
BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:20:
Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:01:
And probably this is a good thing. Back in the day you could commit someone against their will and basically lock them up and forget about them. There's some real horror stories about husbands doing that to their wives, political and legal retribution, etc...

On the flip side it's harder to get help for someone who doesn't want help. Real nightmare for paranoid schizophrenics who freak out at the idea of getting help.

It went extreme in the wrong direction. How many times has a mass shooter known to have an undiagnosed, untreated or unsupervised mental illness? Approximately 30% of homeless people are mentally ill, trapped in their own mental nightmare and cannot get out because they are too ill, impoverished, depressed, or paranoid to seek treatment. There needs to be some kind of evaluation system to force treatment or supervision on people who are obviously hurting themselves or a potential danger to others.

We can thank Reagan for this. And many believe Trump to be the next Reagan. If true, we are fucked.

However, there is a sliver of hope.

Very true. There probably is a sane middle point that we can reach.

And you're dead right about Reagan. He hosed California's mental health system really good back when he was Governor. I don't know anyone who has a severely mentally ill family member in California that doesn't spit on his name.

Why we haven't fixed the system though I'm not sure.

I think it hasn’t been fixed because doing so would require more reliance on a judgement call from a professional. And though a professional can make the right decision with the information they have, it can turn out to be the wrong choice. Governance and people in general do not like that kind of ambiguity.
Treating and housing the mentally ill is expensive, that's why they were turned loose in the 80's. It's all about the money and societal awareness gleaned from movies like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Mar 1, 2017, 16:33
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 16:33
Mar 1, 2017, 16:33

Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:36:
And probably this is a good thing. Back in the day you could commit someone against their will and basically lock them up and forget about them. There's some real horror stories about husbands doing that to their wives, political and legal retribution, etc...

On the flip side it's harder to get help for someone who doesn't want help. Real nightmare for paranoid schizophrenics who freak out at the idea of getting help.

It went extreme in the wrong direction. How many times has a mass shooter known to have an undiagnosed, untreated or unsupervised mental illness? Approximately 30% of homeless people are mentally ill, trapped in their own mental nightmare and cannot get out because they are too ill, impoverished, depressed, or paranoid to seek treatment. There needs to be some kind of evaluation system to force treatment or supervision on people who are obviously hurting themselves or a potential danger to others.

We can thank Reagan for this. And many believe Trump to be the next Reagan. If true, we are fucked.

And you're dead right about Reagan. He hosed California's mental health system really good back when he was Governor. I don't know anyone who has a severely mentally ill family member in California that doesn't spit on his name.

I think it hasn’t been fixed because doing so would require more reliance on a judgement call from a professional. And though a professional can make the right decision with the information they have, it can turn out to be the wrong choice. Governance and people in general do not like that kind of ambiguity.

Re: Alien: Covenant - Official Trailer.
Mar 1, 2017, 16:11
Re: Alien: Covenant - Official Trailer. Mar 1, 2017, 16:11
Mar 1, 2017, 16:11

So... in other words the same story we have already seen. Gee, what a shock. Unless I hear surprisingly good reviews, I'm assuming this is a "catch it on the movie channels" deal.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 1, 2017, 15:49
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:49
Mar 1, 2017, 15:49

Blue wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 10:14:
It's going to easily be another month before our house is ready to go on the market. The good news is we are going from a seller's to a buyer's market, so that should make things easier once the time comes, but we aren't really at the time yet.
Got it. Good luck on both ends of the situation.

Mar 1, 2017, 15:48
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:48
Mar 1, 2017, 15:48

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 11:24:
I wouldn't buy a house right away. Rent a year or more to get a vibe of the different neighborhoods. Thumbsup
Good advice in urban areas, less so in rural. Even so if you get a competent realtor (granted, not necessary easy to do) they'll know neighborhoods.

Mar 1, 2017, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:36
Mar 1, 2017, 15:36

Mar 1, 2017, 13:45
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 13:45
Mar 1, 2017, 13:45

Just signed up after like 17 years to reply to the moving post.
Used to live in Westchester, moved to Warwick in Orange County which is the part of NY you might still live in near the PA border. Some parts are very hillbilly but others are suburban and the home costs and lower taxes can't be beat over Westchester.

Mar 1, 2017, 13:20
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 13:20
Mar 1, 2017, 13:20

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Mar 1, 2017, 13:01
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 13:01
Mar 1, 2017, 13:01

Why was Robertson - and lunatics like him - not institutionalized in an insane asylum long ago? I mean, him and his ilk are literally cuckoo bananas. In any rational society in the world they would have been locked up and treated long ago. These people are batshit crazy.

Real non-snarky reason?

They never committed any crimes. America did away with forced mental institution committal a long time ago. At best you can be put into a mental health facility for observation for 48 hours, but you must commit yourself to stay longer than that. If you have done something violent you can be observed for longer, but at the end of the day in this country if you don't want to be in a mental health facility you can leave if you are your own ward.

Slightly more snarky answer? There's certain kinds of insanity we not only condone, but encourage. Hoarding is fine if it is wealth or pricey material posessions are your obsession of choice for example.

Under the blanket of Religion you can get away with an awful lot socially in America. Same with Government and Business. Politically and in Business we idolize sociopaths and people who normally would be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. Narcissism is enabled, encouraged and admired on social media.

This is particularly prevalent in America, but you can see it throughout many countries and cultures to varying degrees.

Mar 1, 2017, 12:48
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 12:48
Mar 1, 2017, 12:48

There's one part of Prometheus that didn't make sense to me.

Oh, which part is that?

The part between the introduction and the ending credits.

Mar 1, 2017, 12:42
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 12:42
Mar 1, 2017, 12:42

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 09:46:
Let's hope its better than that piece of shit Prometheus.

Why would it be? It's a direct follow up to it, made by the same people. Honestly, this trailer looked like shit to me. And all the other trailers and clips rely on "oh look Alien" nostalgia.

I honestly think that Ridley Scott has lost his mojo as of late.

Mar 1, 2017, 12:13
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 12:13
Mar 1, 2017, 12:13

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 11:22:
Wow! What's really scary is just how many viewers this guy has.

Wideeyed

Why was Robertson - and lunatics like him - not institutionalized in an insane asylum long ago? I mean, him and his ilk are literally cuckoo bananas. In any rational society in the world they would have been locked up and treated long ago. These people are batshit crazy.

And yes to your point on renting for a while at least until you get the lay of the land and figure out where you'd be happiest, and make sure the job works out for Mrs. Blue ok and all that jazz.

Mar 1, 2017, 11:41
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 11:41
Mar 1, 2017, 11:41

Where are you moving to?

Mar 1, 2017, 11:35
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 11:35
Mar 1, 2017, 11:35

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 11:22:
Wow! What's really scary is just how many viewers this guy has.
Eventually they all get what they deserve for suckering the elderly.Sometimes just not soon enough.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Mar 1, 2017, 11:29
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 11:29
Mar 1, 2017, 11:29

Blue wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 10:14:
It's going to easily be another month before our house is ready to go on the market. The good news is we are going from a seller's to a buyer's market, so that should make things easier once the time comes, but we aren't really at the time yet.

Have you considered renting the house out instead? There's some good tax breaks for doing it, as mentioned here, and here. Or is it not a renters area? Or is it too risky?

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2017, 11:39.

Mar 1, 2017, 11:24
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 11:24
Mar 1, 2017, 11:24

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 09:52:
Have you signed on with a realtor yet? Probably best to have already started looking... Don't want to get there and find out your dream house sold the week before...

I wouldn't buy a house right away. Rent a year or more to get a vibe of the different neighborhoods. Thumbsup

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2017, 11:54.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older