Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

UbiBlog announces Ubisoft's plans for a new PC and console game based on Avatar, cashing in on James Cameron's vintage science fiction film. They don't say when this is expected, but note that there are four Avatar movie sequels in development, suggesting there will always be a right time for this. This video accompanies the news with interviews and footage from the movie, which looks like a video game to start with. Here's word on the plan:
The deadly moon of Pandora, along with its resident Na’vi, will soon be back in the spotlight thanks to a partnership between Ubisoft, Lighstorm Entertainment, and Fox Interactive. And Massive Entertainment, the minds behind The Division, will be the ones to take you there.

The new game will return PC and console players to the Avatar universe, using Massive’s Snowdrop engine – also used in The Division and the upcoming South Park: The Fractured But Whole – to bring Pandora’s unique terrain and inhabitants to life. It was after seeing a Snowdrop-run game prototype, in fact, that Avatar creator James Cameron and Lightstorm agreed to the partnership.

“What impressed me about Massive were the group’s passion for this project, and the power of its Snowdrop engine,” Cameron says. “With the power of [Snowdrop], and the team’s passion and obsessive focus on detail, we know they’re the right group to bring the beauty and danger of Pandora to life.”

With four sequels to Avatar in development, Massive and Lightstorm are working side-by-side to expand on the movie universe in new ways and offer the freedom to experience Pandora like never before. With the Game Developers Conference in full swing this week in San Francisco, they’re scouting for top talent to help make the game a reality. Interested developers can check out the list of open positions here. And be sure to keep an eye on UbiBlog, where we’ll have more on this game as it develops.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 22:00 DrSquick

Avus wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 18:55:
i hope it is not another MP only game. Both Rainbow 6 Siege and For Honor netcode are pretty suck...

Don't worry, it won't be MP only. It'll actually be a mobile free to play game with microtransactions that allow you to control how large your blue epeen is!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 21:34 jacobvandy

That older game was a great showcase for NVIDIA 3D Vision and the like, IIRC they made it specifically with 3D in mind as they did the movie. But yeah, it's not one I ended up ever playing all the way through, lol.  

16. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 19:24 eRe4s3r

Hump wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:44:
actually the game that came out at the time of the movie was pretty decent.

Eh, not really... it was mediocre at best Although the NAVI part was interesting.

15. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2017, 19:05 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:03:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 14:54:
I don't think anyone asked for this game.

As a sci fi fiend, I thought you'd be down for this.

I typically don't play games based on movies (they suck). I will, however, play games based on a movie's IP (KOTOR, Tron 2.0, Star Wars Galaxies, et all).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 18:55 Avus

i hope it is not another MP only game. Both Rainbow 6 Siege and For Honor netcode are pretty suck...  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

13. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 18:34 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:11:
Like everyone else who isn't a hardcore leftie tree-hugging, pot-smoking, otter-sctubbing, tie-dye-clad, birkenstock wearing, lazy pinko commie liberal I hated the fucking movie. So yeah, I'll be skipping this and the all the upcoming Gayatar movies.

I believe you meant "Dances with Smurfs"...

12. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:44 Hump

actually the game that came out at the time of the movie was pretty decent.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:28 HorrorScope

Ant wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:24:
Do people still care about Avatar these days?

Four more times, they do know.

10. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:24 Ant

Do people still care about Avatar these days?  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

9. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:22 Angrius Maximis

let me guess ... open world with missions! how original!  

8. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:11 Cutter

Like everyone else who isn't a hardcore leftie tree-hugging, pot-smoking, otter-sctubbing, tie-dye-clad, birkenstock wearing, lazy pinko commie liberal I hated the fucking movie. So yeah, I'll be skipping this and the all the upcoming Gayatar movies.

7. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2017, 16:06 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:03:

Eh, after the first cash-in game and considering that Avatar hasn't been relevant in like three or four years, I agree. Maybe they're planning for it to be released after the next movie, or in anticipation of the next one, but right now, it's as if they're making a Star Trek: Nemesis game...

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 16:05 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 14:47:
Well, at least they picked the right game engine for the task. Whatever you think about The Division's gameplay, the visuals are top notch.

Yeah, ditto for South Park: The Fractured But Whole

The annoying thing about the trailer is that it's all movie clips. Let's see some in-engine stuff already.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2017, 16:03 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2017, 14:54 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

3. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 14:47 HoSpanky

Well, at least they picked the right game engine for the task. Whatever you think about The Division's gameplay, the visuals are top notch.

While I have minimal hope of this actually being a good game, I bet it's gonna be crazy gorgeous.

2. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 14:17 eRe4s3r

The news should read "for *ANOTHER* " game in the Avatar universe.

Because there was already 1 of those, and it sucked.

1. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 14:16 Tipsy McStagger

Milk that tit.

MILK IT.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >