Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Torment: Tides of Numenera is now officially available, offering a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. This is available on GOG.com and Steam, with upgraded Legacy and Immortal editions also offered. The folks at GOG.com are offering an additional incentive to buy from them besides the absence of DRM, saying customers who pick this up within the next 48 hours will also get a free copy of Lords of Xulima. Here's word on the game:
Welcome to the Ninth World. Built upon eight previous instances of civilization, it is littered with remnants of powerful technology, whispers of ancient knowledge, and echoes of amazing feats of magic. These Numenera shape the lives of the current generation, giving birth to epic stories, deep, interconnected narratives, and fierce turn-based battles. Cast right in the middle of this overwhelming chaos, you're faced with the ultimate question: what does one life matter?
View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 16:32 HorrorScope

NetHead wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:48:
Even the ones that are praised drop things that were stretch goals, frankly the law should be knocking on those doors.

Not for any one new one you have to take two away.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 12:48 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 05:04:
jimnms wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 03:48:
That's probably best for you since you don't understand the concept.

Oh, I understand it very well...

1) Overpromise
2) Underdeliver
3) Profit$$$

Unfortunate how accurate that is.

Even the ones that are praised drop things that were stretch goals, frankly the law should be knocking on those doors.

38. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 05:04 CJ_Parker

jimnms wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 03:48:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 00:28:
Fuck crowdfunding. Never again...

Oh, I understand it very well...

1) Overpromise
2) Underdeliver
3) Profit$$$

37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 03:48 MeanJim

jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 19:08:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:45:
...but the way they treated their loyal backers (especially of physical CE tiers) was beyond abysmal.

This is news to me. I've backed all of their projects at a physical CE level and I wasn't treated "abysmal."

Oh yes you were!

No, I wasn't. I'm getting exactly what I pledged for. You have some kind of delusion that because you backed their project, that you're somehow better and are entitled to more stuff. Just because they are coming out with a different (not necessarily better) retail CE doesn't mean you're entitled to that too. If you would rather have the contents of the retail CE, take your refund money, go buy that instead and quit being a whiney ass little bitch about it.

Delays and feature cuts aren't specific to backers. I don't give a shit about delays, I'd rather they take their time instead of rushing to get it out on time, and they explained the "feature cuts" on this Kickstarter update. Hell if they did rush it to get it out in time to please you, there would have been real feature cuts, and then you'd be bitching about that.

Fuck crowdfunding. Never again...

MeanJim on Steam

36. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 00:59 jacobvandy

Bullshit. You're not being "shortchanged" if you're still getting all of the backer rewards you were promised when you made your pledge. There was never any kind of guarantee that partnering with a retail publisher and offering a different CE was an impossibility, in fact it is a huge boon to the developer (that you as a backer supposedly support) to be able to make that kind of deal. So why the salt?

Some self-important fuckwit wrote:
This is not about demanding more for free. Or about the individual items made available to non-backers, but about showing some respect and allowing us the opportunity to also have access to these items. As a collector, these are the things I love about Collectors Editions, and why I explicitly backed at a higher tier.

The issue is backers being denied access to something despite being here from the very beginning, and ultimately being a primary reason that game even exists. Without us there would be no game. Without us Brian could not have gotten Techland on board to help with the console version. Without us, none of this would exist. So why then can we not be allowed to access any and all items that have been borne from our investment? I am sure some don't care, and that's fine. All I am asking for is for those of us that do care, can we please be given access to these items as well? We previously could add-on everything else that was available. Why not these? Why are we being excluded?

Backers have/had the same access to the retail CE as everyone else. You aren't an investor and you aren't entitled to some magical VIP status until the end of time just for being a backer who put in money for a game sight-unseen. You are thanked profusely by the devs and you might even get your name in the credits, but beyond that, you are still Joe Schmoe gamer nobody.

If it's cheaper than the backer CE, that's because a major retail publisher has lower production and distribution costs than an independent customer putting in a small order for only a few thousand units of tailor-made items, AND they are not concerned at all with, oh, I don't know... actually using as much money as possible to make the game!?

35. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 00:28 CJ_Parker

jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 19:08:
...but the way they treated their loyal backers (especially of physical CE tiers) was beyond abysmal.

This is news to me. I've backed all of their projects at a physical CE level and I wasn't treated "abysmal."

Oh yes you were!

Backers generally got the short end of the stick due to the extreme delays, massive feature cuts, cancelled localizations etc. but physical CE backers got it extra hard up the a because we were excluded from the first round of beta when they launched the game on Steam early access, i.e. someone who spent $45 then got to play the game immediately while someone who spent $100+ in 2013 had to keep waiting and waiting and waiting...
But the real kicker is that the regular retail physical CE actually comes with more goodies than the so called "backer-exclusive CE" (long thread on inXile forums about this pinnacle of lameness).

That's why I requested a refund because enough is enough. Long ass delays, feature cuts and giving preferential treatment to Johnny come lately regular customers is a bit too much all at once. TToN fell right in line with all the other very disappointing Kickstarter projects like Shtar Shitizen, Pillars of Eternity and Original Sin which also suffered crazy delays and/or massive feature cuts. Fuck crowdfunding. Never again...

34. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2017, 21:48 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:27:
It's not a Bethesda "RPG" which is the best selling point for me. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that really liked Wasteland 2, but hey everyone has their own tastes.

I have to wait for the boxed collectors so it'll be a bit before I can offer my take.

You get a digital copy with the CE, so you can get your key from their backer portal and play now!

33. No subject Feb 28, 2017, 19:09 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:32:
looks like I'll be waiting for a year or so while they rebalance everything 4 or 5 times and add the remaining DLC which fills out the campaign story and completes the game "the way its meant to be" or whatever they will say

It does have some balance issues without a doubt, but it took me around 12 hours to clear the first area where you start questing before leaving. I've been playing since 7am this morning, and the game is very good. The whole "break enemies will" by talking with them? Interesting as a game mechanic though. Along with quests which change if you rest.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 19:08 MeanJim

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 14:21:
It's not a Bethesda "RPG" which is the best selling point for me. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that really liked Wasteland 2, but hey everyone has their own tastes.

I have to wait for the boxed collectors so it'll be a bit before I can offer my take.

You're not alone. I also enjoyed Wasteland 2 (and the Shadowrun games... backed them all). Looking forward to this tonight.

I enjoyed WL2 also. I didn't play it at launch, I think by the time I got around to it there were two patches after I started. I only encountered one bug, which after sending a video and a save file, they promptly fixed it in a few days. I haven't played the directors cut yet.

I think most people that didn't like it expect it to be Fallout 2.5 or something. It's not Fallout, it's a sequel to Wasteland. Sure Fallout was inspired by Wasteland, but they're different games.

MeanJim on Steam

31. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 18:41 Drayth

Just reminiscing here, but the second best thing about PS:T were the spells. Some of them were like mini-movies. I usually play warrior types in RPG's, but I always go mage for a PS:T play through.

Looking forward to playing through Tides in the not too distant future...

30. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 18:38 Eirikrautha

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 09:57:
People, please report back if the game is any good.

So far, so good. About an hour in. It's text heavy (obviously) and the "Crises" (combat) aren't terrible. The mystery has me curious and wanting to play more...

29. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 16:44 mag

Quinn wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 15:35:
mag wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 15:26:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:31:
60%

Ouch...this review actually goes a little deeper into detail on the game. And damn...it actually calls the game RPGLite....Double damn.

That's a bizarre critique. Planescape: Torment wasn't exactly super-mechanically-deep. Nearly no loot, extremely limited classes, etc.

People tend to overglorify nostalgic memories. That IS nostalgia. So take that plus lower standards 18 years ago, put it in a jar, send it to 2017 and what you have is a jar of disappointment. Get fucking real.

That's why Half Life 3 will suck unless a new technology is out there affordable for everyone that Gabe can make something innovative with. Off topic, but fuck it. Meet Half Life 3 anno 2024.

I didn't really mean it that way. P:Torment is, I think a game that holds up well even today. It wasn't about the mechanics even then (people tore its combat mechanics apart even at the time: that was not the focus of the game). The Infinity-lite engine was just a frame to prop up their great story.

So that's what the game was, even in the context of its time. It was a combat/loot/skill/stats-shallow framework that told a great story. This is supposed to be a successor to that type of game, and so far (a couple hours in) that looks exactly like what we've got.

28. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 16:40 MT Silver

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 15:45:
That's a bizarre critique. Planescape: Torment wasn't exactly super-mechanically-deep. Nearly no loot, extremely limited classes, etc.

No shit, the game is almost 20 plus years old. It was made shortly after baldurs gate using the same gangrene infinity engine. Baldurs gate had the same issue. All the infinity engine games were just vehicles to get the nerd money. They had atrocious combat system and loot and even the designers admitted it. The thing that makes torment was the story that's why its remembered not so much the game elements. Rather the world, characters and story.

This is true. I replay PS:T once a year and love it but I always set the difficulty to easy so I can spend as little time as possible in combat. That game is about the story and nothing else.

27. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 16:35 HorrorScope

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:32:
looks like I'll be waiting for a year or so while they rebalance everything 4 or 5 times and add the remaining DLC which fills out the campaign story and completes the game "the way its meant to be" or whatever they will say

Yep Tyranny in front of this, in time. I still have White Marches to do.

26. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 15:45 Suppa7

No shit, the game is almost 20 plus years old. It was made shortly after baldurs gate using the same gangrene infinity engine. Baldurs gate had the same issue. All the infinity engine games were just vehicles to get the nerd money. They had atrocious combat system and loot and even the designers admitted it. The thing that makes torment was the story that's why its remembered not so much the game elements. Rather the world, characters and story.

25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 15:35 Quinn

60%

Ouch...this review actually goes a little deeper into detail on the game. And damn...it actually calls the game RPGLite....Double damn.

People tend to overglorify nostalgic memories. That IS nostalgia. So take that plus lower standards 18 years ago, put it in a jar, send it to 2017 and what you have is a jar of disappointment. Get fucking real.

That's why Half Life 3 will suck unless a new technology is out there affordable for everyone that Gabe can make something innovative with. Off topic, but fuck it. Meet Half Life 3 anno 2024.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 15:26 mag

60%

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2017, 14:21 Eirikrautha

You're not alone. I also enjoyed Wasteland 2 (and the Shadowrun games... backed them all). Looking forward to this tonight.

22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 13:45 CJ_Parker

I'm really glad I got a full(!) refund for my physical KS CE so credit to inXile for that very fair move but the way they treated their loyal backers (especially of physical CE tiers) was beyond abysmal.
Anyway, I wasn't exactly blown away by the beta so will pick this up when it's available for $5 one fine day. No rush.

21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 13:32 Agent-Zero

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >