Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

For Honor Cheaters Banned

There seems to be a degree of irony to cheating in a game called For Honor, but UbiBlog has word that some miscreants are indeed bending the rules in their new melee combat game. They say they are cracking down on this situation with their EasyAntiCheat software, which sounds like something you'd buy from an infomercial ("the secret is in the MD5 hashing!"). They say they are taking this seriously enough to hand out bans for first offences. Here's word:

For Honor puts a huge emphasis on skill, so it’s important that it offers a level playing field – and to ensure that nobody has an unfair advantage, the developers have rolled out EasyAntiCheat, a program that detects and flags those who break the rules. Giving the team a way to track cheating, hacking, and offensive communications forbidden by the game’s code of conduct, EasyAntiCheat has already been used to identify and ban fewer than 400 players for cheating and an additional 70 players for offensive conduct.

After being flagged by EasyAntiCheat, suspect accounts are reviewed by the dev team, which then hands out warnings, temporary suspensions, or permanent bans against identified players. These bans are applied on an account level, not at the hardware level. Fairness is hugely important to the game’s creators, so bans are being handed out to first-time offenders. Players who believe they’ve been erroneously penalized can also appeal their bans.

To find out more about For Honor’s code of conduct and the consequences for violating it, visit the official For Honor support page.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: BB Feb 26, 2017, 02:12 Dev

Prez wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 00:07:
I'm sure I've played with many cheaters over the years, but not being particularly saavy at spotting such things (sucking so bad at multiplayer games makes me assume everyone is just that much better than me) I never really noticed one outright. The other day, however, I came across a VERY obvious cheater in Overwatch. I wasn't angry so much as intrigued - I wondered what satisfaction someone could get from winning in an unfair match. But I suppose it's an extreme extension of the "power fantasy" thing that many gamers like.
I think part of it is like trolling. Part is wanting to "own" people. I suspect some of the same reasons apply as to why people do swatting. And part of it is outright wanting to ruin the game for others, I remember years ago hearing the infamous mygot cheating group outright said publically that's why they did it. I dunno if they are around anymore lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 25, 2017, 11:58 El Pit

Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:30:
No Honor

You win. /thread closed

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 25, 2017, 11:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Slick wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 19:11:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:51:
BurntSoul wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:12:
HoSpanky wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:06:
I've never understood the need to cheat in online gaming, and ESPECIALLY don't understand those cheaters then complaining about being punished for cheating. If you cheat to win, you didn't actually win. There's no victory there.

Totally this. I think that maybe the cheaters should be notified by UBI, saying they know who they are and that they will only be able to be matched up with other cheaters, banning the use of the store to scavenge or buy 'upgrades', and slowing player growth to 1% of regular users regardless of what initial package they bought.

This allows them to still be able to play while at the same time disarming the idea of cheating (because now everyone is at the same 'level').

Same outcome as banning them. They buy a new copy and continue to cheat until they get caught again. Rinse, repeat.

Seems to me that they could use hardware ID as a way to scrutinize new accounts on the same hardware though. Maybe catch repeat cheaters quicker that way.

I'd be all for hardware ID, but you know that privacy concerns will drown out common sense.

They can already use hardware ID for bans I believe. They just tend not to because it's more likely to end up screwing over legit players who buy a banned console.

Using it just as a flag to give accounts using that ID increased scrutiny shouldn't be a problem though. Catch the cheaters faster, and doesn't hurt the non-cheaters.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. BB Feb 25, 2017, 00:07 Prez

I'm sure I've played with many cheaters over the years, but not being particularly saavy at spotting such things (sucking so bad at multiplayer games makes me assume everyone is just that much better than me) I never really noticed one outright. The other day, however, I came across a VERY obvious cheater in Overwatch. I wasn't angry so much as intrigued - I wondered what satisfaction someone could get from winning in an unfair match. But I suppose it's an extreme extension of the "power fantasy" thing that many gamers like.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2017, 06:21.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 24, 2017, 19:11 Slick

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:51:
I've never understood the need to cheat in online gaming, and ESPECIALLY don't understand those cheaters then complaining about being punished for cheating. If you cheat to win, you didn't actually win. There's no victory there.

Totally this. I think that maybe the cheaters should be notified by UBI, saying they know who they are and that they will only be able to be matched up with other cheaters, banning the use of the store to scavenge or buy 'upgrades', and slowing player growth to 1% of regular users regardless of what initial package they bought.

This allows them to still be able to play while at the same time disarming the idea of cheating (because now everyone is at the same 'level').

Same outcome as banning them. They buy a new copy and continue to cheat until they get caught again. Rinse, repeat.

Seems to me that they could use hardware ID as a way to scrutinize new accounts on the same hardware though. Maybe catch repeat cheaters quicker that way.

I'd be all for hardware ID, but you know that privacy concerns will drown out common sense.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

13. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 18:05 jdreyer

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:54:
"These bans are applied on an account level, not at the hardware level"

So Ubisoft is allowing the cheaters to just make another account so they can buy the game again and keep playing. They pay lip service to the community by "banning" cheaters yet allow the cheaters to pony up the cash for the game again and play if they want to. Never one to pass up a quick buck, eh Ubisoft? LOL.
This was my first thought.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 24, 2017, 17:51 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 17:12 BurntSoul

10. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 17:02 Slick

I think this game uses P2P for multiplayer, there's tons of ways you can fuck with that. It'll get broken way open sooner or later.  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

9. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 15:27 Rilcon

So Ubisoft is allowing the cheaters to just make another account so they can buy the game again and keep playing. They pay lip service to the community by "banning" cheaters yet allow the cheaters to pony up the cash for the game again and play if they want to. Never one to pass up a quick buck, eh Ubisoft? LOL.

As someone that deals with handing out bannings on some services, hardware or other "fingerprint" style bans are extremely easy to circumvent and almost always impact innocent users. They're only useful as an immediate, temporary, stopgap.

But yes, of course ~LOL UBIBUX SUX~ XD etc.

8. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 15:26 ItBurn

Well, blocking hardware, especially on consoles, is a terrible plan. They'll just sell the console, and start over on a fresh one. Meanwhile someone buys a used Xbone/PS4 from GameStop and then suddenly some games don't let them play online.

You guys must sh*t money to be able to buy 80$ games and new consoles over and over. What Ubi is doing is fair in my eyes. Also, if they banned the hardware, the cheaters could sell their console and some other random guy would be sh*t out of luck if he tried to play the game. Is this practice something that was ever even done?

7. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 15:06 HoSpanky

Well, blocking hardware, especially on consoles, is a terrible plan. They'll just sell the console, and start over on a fresh one. Meanwhile someone buys a used Xbone/PS4 from GameStop and then suddenly some games don't let them play online.

6. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 14:54 thecakeisalie

5. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2017, 13:29 deqer

I wonder how it must feel to be banned from a game you just dropped $80 for.

4. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 12:30 Kxmode

No Honor

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

3. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 12:01 TorchMaster

It's good that these guys actually considered cheating before release, instead of it being an after-thought like many titles.

Of course, quick bans while the game is still popular will allow them to sell additional copies to the low self-esteem miscreants.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

2. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 11:04 Kajetan

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 10:22:
More companies should handle cheating like this.
More companies should allow dedicated server and LAN play. I dont care about some anynomous cheating honk, i want to play with my REAL friends (you know, a friend. not a data entry in a "friends list") in peace.

And in the privacy of OUR MP game, we cheat or do not cheat, as we please.

1. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 10:22 RedEye9

More companies should handle cheating like this.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo