Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released

Criminal Past is now available for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, offering the second story DLC for the action/RPG sequel. This trailer shows things off, and this post has word on a patch that this requires. The patch notes actually have more on the DLC than the announcement post. Here's the rundown on what to expect:

Added support for the Jensen Story - A Criminal Past DLC mission. Jensen is transferred deep into a hostile, high-security prison for augmented felons. His mission: track down and retrieve sensitive information from a fellow undercover agent who has gone dark. Success will help the fight against terror around the world, but Jensen will need to confront a darker side to his role before the day is done.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2017, 01:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 12:23:
Congrats on the apartment, SMA!

Thanks, man! It's really my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood of Manhattan, and a less than 10 minute walk from my dream job. It took a crap load of work to get to this point, and I'll certainly be working hard at the new job, but after feeling pretty lost and adrift through most of twenties, it finally feels like the pieces of my life have fallen into the places I always wanted them to be.

Anyway, Deus Ex DLC Review:

• The story is entirely self-contained. Although it deals with a number of the same themes as Mankind Divided, and there are a handful of subtle Deus Ex lore references, this doesn't have anything to do with the Illuminati. It's an undercover op in a maximum security prison. It's a super cool scenario, but if you were hoping for further revelations in the Deus Ex mythos, you won't find them here.

• The early gameplay in particular is phenomenal. You don't have augs initially, and no items or equipment either. You have to be resourceful and engage in some genuine puzzle solving to make progress. Not puzzle solving in the sense of Bioware putting the Towers of Hanoi in every fucking game they've ever made, but puzzle solving as in "An inmate gave me a tip that something useful is in this room, but how am I going to get there with the extremely limited tools I have?" Obviously, that kind of puzzle has more than one solution.

• The way the story unfolds at least suggests that there are some branches, but of course to know for certain I'd have to give it a replay. In any event, the game presents you with a series of choices that tend to boil down to "do I enhance my personal resources (i.e. get more augs reactivated) or do I get more inmates to owe me favors?) I am guessing the more favors you are owed, then a major turning point in the plot will play out differently. But without a reply I don't know for certain

• As the DLC progresses, and you accumulate more resources, the game starts to lose it's "undercover in a supermax prison" vibe, and starts to become a standard Deus Ex infiltration mission. It's still a pretty good Deus Ex infiltration mission though.

• The environment designers payed very close attention to detail, and there's lots of little insignificant bits of the environment that nevertheless are perfectly consistent with the other insignificant details of the environment. It feels like a prison inhabited by real inmates, even if only a handful of said inmates are fully realized NPCs.

• Length is comparable to Human Revolution's Missing Link DLC. Looks like it took me a bit under 7 hours to finish, but that was with very thorough exploration and stopping to smell the roses. A race to the finish would probably take the average player between two and three hours

• There are some minor bugs, but nothing game breaking.
  •  
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 25, 2017, 12:23 Creston

Congrats on the apartment, SMA!

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2017, 09:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Wesp5 wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 03:51:
    ItBurn wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:16:
    The story is way shorter than in the first game though, so if you don't procrastinate that much, the game is definitely too short.

Exactly. Also although Prague looked great, it was only one hub to which you returned three times and which was split with a long loading time in the middle too! Compare that to the several real hubs in the older games...

Yeah, I did all the side missions and explored every nook and cranny (having a blast as I went) so the game felt long to me. But it's definitely the case that the main story was much shorter than Human Revolution. Of course, Human Revolution also had many fewer side missions and nooks and crannies to explore. Like I said earlier, Mankind Divided did some things better and some worse than Human Revolution. On the whole, Human Revolution is probably the better game, but I'm still of the opinion that Mankind Divided was extremely good, and if you are at all a fan of Deus Ex, particularly the original to which MD makes plenty of references and callbacks to, then it's absolutely worth the money.

I got held up finalizing my new apartment lease last night, so I only got to play a few minutes of the DLC before more pressing matters demanded my attention. I'll play through it today as my reward for the stress of a successful NYC apartment and post my review later.

13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 25, 2017, 03:51 Wesp5

ItBurn wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:16:
    The story is way shorter than in the first game though, so if you don't procrastinate that much, the game is definitely too short.

Exactly. Also although Prague looked great, it was only one hub to which you returned three times and which was split with a long loading time in the middle too! Compare that to the several real hubs in the older games...

12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 18:16 ItBurn

jimnms wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:03:
    Tyrric wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:59:
    Maybe they can do one final DLC to tie up the cliffhanger I hear the game ended with. I never got to finish it, since my gaming PC decided it didn't want to run games anymore a few days after I got the game, but with the supposed hiatus of the series I'm just not looking feeling motivated to go back for rest of the story.

I just finished the game last night and it does end leaving you with more questions than answers, but the original ends that way too. I kind of liked how it ended with the Picus News stories summing up the outcomes of your missions, but it seems like they didn't bother to cover a lot of them. I thought it was cleaver how you find out some of them during the game, but a few others, like solving "The Last Harvest" murders doesn't get a news story.

I thought the game was pretty damn short compared to the last one. Although Steam says I clocked in 126 hours, I spent the first 40 of those in the city hacking and breaking into everything I could find, which king of spoils things because you end up going to a lot of those places later on for side missions. I was also going for a no-kill run, so I save scummed like crazy.

I have more play time in the second game too because I went ghost and explored absolutely everything. The world is much denser. The story is way shorter than in the first game though, so if you don't procrastinate that much, the game is definitely too short.

11. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 18:03 MeanJim

Tyrric wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:59:
    Maybe they can do one final DLC to tie up the cliffhanger I hear the game ended with. I never got to finish it, since my gaming PC decided it didn't want to run games anymore a few days after I got the game, but with the supposed hiatus of the series I'm just not looking feeling motivated to go back for rest of the story.

I just finished the game last night and it does end leaving you with more questions than answers, but the original ends that way too. I kind of liked how it ended with the Picus News stories summing up the outcomes of your missions, but it seems like they didn't bother to cover a lot of them. I thought it was cleaver how you find out some of them during the game, but a few others, like solving "The Last Harvest" murders doesn't get a news story.

I thought the game was pretty damn short compared to the last one. Although Steam says I clocked in 126 hours, I spent the first 40 of those in the city hacking and breaking into everything I could find, which king of spoils things because you end up going to a lot of those places later on for side missions. I was also going for a no-kill run, so I save scummed like crazy.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 17:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Initial impression is very positive. There's a ton of detail in the prison and the yard, and your conversations with other inmates often get cut off by guards, so you typically only have the chance to ask one question out of several avenues of investigation. I'm just at the beginning, but the atmosphere is great, and there's definitely some Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher's Bay vibes going on. With only 45 minutes of playtime so far, I think it's still safe to recommend provided you enjoyed the base game.  

9. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 16:59 Agent-Zero

It seems like these devs have given up on tying all this interactivity together in terms of an overall story that branches significantly based on your decisions.. i suppose its easier or quicker or whatever, but its definitely an ongoing departure from the series

i wonder if they will eventually go episodic like Hitman or something like that

8. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 16:18 ItBurn

They royally screwed up with this game. Would have played the hell out of it if it was part of the main game or if it was an expansion, but I have zero interest in these story things.  

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 16:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Damn it. I reinstall the game, complete with the 30GiB compressed download, only to discover that the new DLC isn't supported on Linux yet. Guess that means I get to redownload it on my Windows drive, lol.  

6. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 15:59 Tyrric

5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 15:21 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 13:41:
    It sounds like a fun mission, but I really wish it got integrated into the main storyline somehow.

I'm sure it will eventually. Remember Human Revolution GOTY? Squeenix will release an unpatched Mankind Divided fork with Criminal Past integrated and they'll charge existing customers for their half-assed garbage. It worked the last time. Why put more effort into it if you can get away with fraud?

4. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 15:16 Creston

Wesp5 wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:29:
    It sounds like a fun mission, but I really wish it got integrated into the main storyline somehow.

So this doesn't really fit in? All other DLCs for both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were so obviously just cut content to sell later, that it's almost justified the series ended like this because of the developer greed! Just compare them to the Dishonered DLCs, which were real expansions...

I don't know if it fits in story-wise, to be honest, I meant that you have to play it separately from the main menu.

Please let us know what you thought, SMA. I'm on the fence about getting it.

3. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 14:29 Wesp5

So this doesn't really fit in? All other DLCs for both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were so obviously just cut content to sell later, that it's almost justified the series ended like this because of the developer greed! Just compare them to the Dishonered DLCs, which were real expansions...

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 14:11 Scottish Martial Arts

Same, especially in light of the series going on hiatus. Mankind Divided did some things better and some things worse than Human Revolution, but it, along with Doom, was one of my favorite games of 2016. I'll probably grab the DLC later today, give it a play through and post my thoughts.

1. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 13:41 Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo