Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2017, 04:37 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 21:49:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:01:
And don't ever get me started on Prometheus.
The movie definitely grows on you. I think I have watched it at least 4 times.

Does it grow on you like an alien in the gut?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 21:49 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:01:
The movie definitely grows on you. I think I have watched it at least 4 times.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 18:01 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

38. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 10:33 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 06:39:
<snipped for the sake of brevity>

Anyhow, sorry. Bible stuff. I know! Apologies. Please, forgive. I'll put myself in the time-out corner. Dunce

I'm well familiar with Judeo-Christian mythology and it's cool as we were discussing Scott movies.

I disagree with your assertion that nephilim equates to "bullies" in ancient Hebrew as there's no supporting evidence of that. The commonly agreed upon translation equated nephilim to mean "giants", with the popular minority opinion being that it's a generality for "fallen". It should also be noted that the term "giant" doesn't necessitate a measure of size, either. It can, and has, been argued that it was used to denote ability and as a mean of delineation from your common, every day human being.

A great deal of the symbolism, myths, and legends in the Old Testament, especially those in the chapters of Genesis and Exodus, are straight up lifts and reworks of previously existing stories found in Sumerian mythology. So I get that Scott reworked some of the original details of the Sumerian mythology back in to the story to bring it closer to its original point of origin. That I do not have a problem with.

What I had a problem with is that the movie was, by and large, poorly presented and delivered. The historical points are all wrong and clearly out of chronological sequence as there were few, if any, Hebrew people in Egypt during the reign of Ramses, for example. The culture of ancient Egypt was depicted incorrectly. The ancient Egyptians didn't hang people, they normally beheaded people which is what the khopesh was designed to do. There's plenty of archaeological evidence which supports this and we do not see hanging as a form of execution in any hieroglyphs, reliefs, or documents.

I could go on but the point is, it was just a poor movie on Scott's part but even Spielberg and Hitchcock threw out some duds so I let it slide.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

37. removed Feb 24, 2017, 09:56 RedEye9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 24, 2017, 10:15.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

36. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 09:54 Dacote

Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 06:46:
Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:31:
Well now I know that I can wait for double extra butter to be drizzled on my popcorn and I don't have to worry about missing the opening scene.

A coworker once regaled to me his experience in a theater's concession area. After three months, he said the popcorn butter on the flood had literally melted the plastic soles of his shoes. People put that stuff in their body. Anyhow, don't let me keep you from your fun. Toodles!
And thats why cheap paper bags and containers hold up just fine. We know you believe everything that you hear, but you don't have to repeat it here. Poodles

35. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 06:46 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:31:
Well now I know that I can wait for double extra butter to be drizzled on my popcorn and I don't have to worry about missing the opening scene.

A coworker once regaled to me his experience in a theater's concession area. After three months, he said the popcorn butter on the flood had literally melted the plastic soles of his shoes. People put that stuff in their body. Anyhow, don't let me keep you from your fun. Toodles!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

34. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 06:39 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:22:
I haven't seen the movie yet but I've yet to see a Ridley Scott movie that I legitimately hated through and through though Exodus: Gods and Kings comes fairly close.

Oh, my goodness. I hate that film. I found it offensive. The part where the Angel of God (the one who communicated with Moses through the burning bush) appears a child in front of a burning bush is a pagan concept! I did the research and its legit paganism. Both Exodus and Noah received the "creatively authentic" tellings of Bible accounts PR nonsense. What the films did is provide a vehicle for Satan to say to the audience (many of whom are completely ignorant of the Bible), "Come sit down on my lap, and let me tell you a story of what 'really' happened."

I think I walked out of the theater right after the child/burning bush scene. I was barely able to get through Noah since he was portrayed as a schizophrenic madman and meanwhile God was silent and apathetic. So quiet in fact that Noah had to make a long trek to the "wizard-shaman-hermit" Methuselah to find out what God was asking him to do. And Meth-man was like, "Let's smoke a bong dude." The account in Genesis clearly shows Jehovah God was very much involved in directing and assisting Noah with the Ark building project. He's the one who gave Noah the blueprints to build the ark to precise dimensions and even which specified materials to use.

Those "rock creatures" were some of the most offensive garbage and demonic propaganda. I know who they are and what they represent. They did not come to earth to help humans with the environment (???). Those are angels who rebelled against God. They materialized human body (they didn't look like rock creatures) to have sex with women and contaminate the populous with mutant human-angelic hybrids known as Nephilim (Hebrew for "bullies"). If that concept doesn't blow your mind; consider, it's on the level of humans having sex with animals or plants. It was unnatural and went contrary to Jehovah's purpose for angels. The presence of demons and Nephilim on earth only exacerbated the problem with humanity in general being "only bad all of the time." Quite simply, humanity at that point in history had reached a level of depravity that forced the flood.

Anyhow, sorry. Bible stuff. I know! Apologies. Please, forgive. I'll put myself in the time-out corner. Dunce

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

33. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:31 Dacote

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:29:
Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 21:06:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 18:16:
That Alien: Covenant trailer was bad ass! Really looking forward to it.
The trailer was a good tease at over 4 minutes, almost verging on spoiler territory, making me wish I had not watched it for that reason alone.

As I understand it that's the first scene in the movie.

32. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:29 jdreyer

The trailer was a good tease at over 4 minutes, almost verging on spoiler territory, making me wish I had not watched it for that reason alone.

As I understand it that's the first scene in the movie.

31. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:29 Dacote

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:10:
Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 21:53:
You must be seeing something I don't, I mean you can cover it with a single sentence: "Colonists celebrating prior to going into stasis on a trip to a planet farther into the galaxy than humans have gone before."

The only spoiler is in what we already know, it is an "Alien" film. Hence we know the antagonist.
Now I know what happens during a full scene of the movie, versus a normal trailer that contains highlights from throughout a movie. The suspenseful moment during that scene was spoiled for me, that's all. Likewise, if I had written about this scene and what it entailed without spoiler tags I am sure that someone would have taken offense, and rightly so.

yes that is highly offensive.. you are so right to be so upset.. SHAME ON THEM!
Just knowing that others recognize my pain does wonders for my damaged psyche. Thank you kind good kind sir and god bless.

30. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:28 Mr. Tact

Now I know what happens during a full scene of the movie, versus a normal trailer that contains highlights from throughout a movie. The suspenseful moment during that scene was spoiled for me, that's all. Likewise, if I had written about this scene and what it entailed without spoiler tags I am sure that someone would have taken offense, and rightly so.
Personally, I think if you consider this a spoiler, you shouldn't be watching movie trailers for films you think you might want to see. But whatever -- if you feel that way, you feel that way. *shrug* I don't get it, but I won't argue against it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:22 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 18:56:

Interesting. Many Youtube comments show the opposite. Specifically many think the dinner scene from Alien is better. What do you say?

I'm happy with it. I think people don't get that the dinner scene in this one was a mirror opposite of the one from Alien. In Alien, they're getting out of an interrupted hypersleep after working who knows how long on a refining gig. They're tired, fed up of being in space, and just a little bit on each other's nerves. They are very much ready to go back, get paid, and go home. In this one, you have a group of fairly young individuals who are beyond excited at being on what should be one of the greatest events in human history. They're certainly more free spirited and far less grizzled than the crew of the Nostromo. I like the change in approach.

I also don't see this prologue having a lot of spoilers in it. We know there's going to be xenomorphs, we know there are going to be face huggers, and probably a queen. We know that people will die. But those have never been the major plot points of any of the Alien movies. What we don't know is whom the chosen survivor(s) might be and we don't know yet how they will act to insure that survival.That's the core of any movie in the Alien franchise; survival.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I've yet to see a Ridley Scott movie that I legitimately hated through and through though Exodus: Gods and Kings comes fairly close. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see it two weeks after it opens.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

28. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:10 Agent-Zero

You must be seeing something I don't, I mean you can cover it with a single sentence: "Colonists celebrating prior to going into stasis on a trip to a planet farther into the galaxy than humans have gone before."

The only spoiler is in what we already know, it is an "Alien" film. Hence we know the antagonist.

yes that is highly offensive.. you are so right to be so upset.. SHAME ON THEM!

27. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:07 Dacote

26. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 21:53 Mr. Tact

25. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 21:06 Dacote

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2017, 20:26 Mr. Tact

Well, it would have been boring if the scene was just a copy. I was glad it wasn't the same. That said, I'm doubtful they'll be able to make the story much different from what we have already seen. However, I hope I am wrong.  

23. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 18:56 Kxmode

Interesting. Many Youtube comments show the opposite. Specifically many think the dinner scene from Alien is better. What do you say?

22. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 18:48 RedEye9

ditto

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo