Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista

Battle.net announces Blizzard will start dropping support for Windows XP and Windows Vista beginning later thins year. Here's the plan:

Starting later this year, we will begin the process of ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.

After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 14:50 Luke

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 08:41:
Are there any coders browsing the forum? I'm curious about the technical aspect of dropping XP support for a game as old as World of Warcraft. I'm assuming that they aren't going to be redeveloping the old game code for WOW, which otherwise would run fine on XP, so doesn't dropping support for XP effectively only take a stance of EXCLUDING xp users on WOW?

EXCLUDING my ass...jezz
So jump on the winspy10 wagon .....no thx mr."i dont care if they suck me dry of data"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 10:32 HoSpanky

They're going to need to do something to WoW's engine sooner than later, maybe this is the first step? There's a large area in the latest expansion that runs horribly, and I've found that the video card is twiddling its thumbs at under half utilization, while one CPU core is maxed out and the others are all at half. Whatever that one core is doing needs to be spread out across multiples.

I assume in reality, the issue is the battle.net launcher, not the games themselves. No way 5 games lose OS support at the same time, but they ARE all linked to the launcher.

Edit: apparently I can't read, it's a staggered schedule.

No matter how you look at this, though, Blizzard is still legendary in their continuing game support. Very VERY few companies try as hard to make sure their games are as bug-free and work across a huge variety of hardware.

14. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 09:15 warmbluelasers

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 08:41:
Are there any coders browsing the forum? I'm curious about the technical aspect of dropping XP support for a game as old as World of Warcraft. I'm assuming that they aren't going to be redeveloping the old game code for WOW, which otherwise would run fine on XP, so doesn't dropping support for XP effectively only take a stance of EXCLUDING xp users on WOW?

It depends on what dropping support means for them. If it's no longer checking XP and Vista during QA then yeah, basically what you said. "If it doesn't work, not our problem."

Of course it could also mean phasing out older code that XP and Vista use but not 7 and up. That will take some initial investment in removing the code and testing the game, but the end result means they can further optimize for 7 and up and also there are a few less things to explode with bugs every patch.

13. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 08:41 Bill Borre

12. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 05:30 Slick

I wonder if it ever dawns on gamers why exactly a closed system like the xbox or playstation seem to have massively better performance for their admittedly shitty specs than PC gamers enjoy. It's because a PC game has to be compatible with a trillion different hardware configurations, multiple generations of OSes, 32-bit, 64-bit, 2 major GPU manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

There's obviously pros and cons to each, but I just have to wonder if people who won't give up an 8 year old OS like Win 7 actually understand that devs supporting their ancient platform actually fucks performance up for all of us.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

11. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 02:33 Ant

So very old games will still work with older Windows.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 02:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:54:
Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:09:
Shok wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:58:
I run Windows XP and except for the occasional (weekly or so) malware infection it is great! Plus there is no built-in spyware, you get a few random infections but being in a botnet isn't all that bad.

Not sure if serious...
Windows XP, not only is it much more secure and less resource hungry but it's also faster than Windows 98 Second Edition and supports more devices than Windows 95. What's not to like.

I lol'd

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

9. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 21:28 RedEye9

mram wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 21:12:
Windows XP, not only is it much more secure and less resource hungry but it's also faster than Windows 98 Second Edition and supports more devices than Windows 95. What's not to like.
Nope. Especially now.
Bear in mind that what you don't know can hurt you, and you'll never be notified about XP vulnerabilities. Why? Because it's not supported anymore.
The /sarcasm was automatically implied in my post and I thought it was impossible to miss, next time I will be sure to include it.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

8. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 21:12 mram

Windows XP, not only is it much more secure <snip>

Nope. Especially now.

Bear in mind that what you don't know can hurt you, and you'll never be notified about XP vulnerabilities. Why? Because it's not supported anymore.

7. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 21:09 Dentorro

win2k is still my favorite.  

6. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 20:54 RedEye9

Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:09:
I run Windows XP and except for the occasional (weekly or so) malware infection it is great! Plus there is no built-in spyware, you get a few random infections but being in a botnet isn't all that bad.

Not sure if serious...

5. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 20:09 Slashman

Not sure if serious...

4. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 19:58 Shok

3. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 19:40 Slashman

Dammit! Not again! I would still be running my perfectly working Win 98 system if not for these greedy corporate a-holes! Voodoo 4eva!  

2. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 19:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:48:
Should not be a big deal.

Oh I bet we can find at least ONE tightly-wound BNer who will bring his/her pitchfork to this thread.

VISTA FOR LIFE!

1. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 17:48 RedEye9

Should not be a big deal.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo